Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Malik Mcdowell Is Better Than Solomon Thomas. Says Voch Lombardit

He analyses both players and tackles questions about Maliks effort.  Personally I wouldn't have much problem with picking up Malik.

Questiion is at what pick.

My Bad!  Just noticed I left a T on the end of Lombardi.  Mods please edit. 

8 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

I think his talent is worthy of a top 15 pick, but I understand that his attitude sucks. There was one quote about him being a "locker room cancer"... Wouldn't invest a 1st on a guy like that personally. 

8 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

I think his talent is worthy of a top 15 pick, but I understand that his attitude sucks. There was one quote about him being a "locker room cancer"... Wouldn't invest a 1st on a guy like that personally. 

Yeah but we don't know how true that rumor is. Or of it even has any validity at all

The guy pretty strong at the point of attack, can play every position on the line including the nose and he hasn't even hit his ceiling yet. Still has room to grow even more. I would assume hes a little immature

Why should I care about the opinion of this guy?       What are his credentials other than his last name is reportedly Lombardi?

Here's McDowell's profile from NFL.com.....     I'm happy to let some other team try to coach him up and turn him into a star.....    The Colts can't afford to gamble and lose with their 1st round pick.      We have to have a hit.

Too much downside and not enough upside for my comfort level.      No thanks.....

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/malik-mcdowell?id=2557970

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why should I care about the opinion of this guy?       What are his credentials other than his last name is reportedly Lombardi?

Here's McDowell's profile from NFL.com.....     I'm happy to let some other team try to coach him up and turn him into a star.....    The Colts can't afford to gamble and lose with their 1st round pick.      We have to have a hit.

Too much downside and not enough upside for my comfort level.      No thanks.....

So he's a bust because of his profile?  Nevermind all the film. At least Voch knows how to break film down to give you a decent idea of what you're seeing.   There's not a whole lot on film to say this guy is lazy and all the other claims you've made.  Nothing on film to indicate he looks like "Tarzan", plays like Jane.    Everything in this thread is probably the most you've even watched of Mcdowell.   And who says he has to be drafted in the first round?

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

So he's a bust because of his profile?  Nevermind all the film and the fact that at least Voch knows how to break it down.   There's not a whole lot on film to say this guy is lazy and all the other claims you've made.  Nothing on film to indicate he looks like "Tarzan", plays like Jane.    Everything in this thread is probably the most you've even watched of Mcdowell.   And who says he has to be drafted in the first round?

If he falls to us in the 2nd you have to take him lol it's that simple 

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

What upside is not there?  Where's the proof other than some crap Zierlein or one of these other guys that's often wrong wrote?  The film says this guy is a pretty good ball player. 

6 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

If he falls to us in the 2nd you have to take him lol it's that simple 

Real good ball player.  At least he ain't falling out of windows claiming he was drunk like Kemdiche.  Kid hasn't been in any trouble that I know of.   Film says this guy is a beast.   Some people have to remember these are young kids we're talking about.  I'm sure their may be some maturity stuff going on there, but at least there's no criminal rap sheet on the guy and he's there for his team.   I'm glad they worked him out because there's a whole lot of upside to this guy.

41 minutes ago, krunk said:

Real good ball player.  At least he ain't falling out of windows claiming he was drunk like Kemdiche.  Kid hasn't been in any trouble that I know of.   Film says this guy is a beast.   Some people have to remember these are young kids we're talking about.  I'm sure their may be some maturity stuff going on there, but at least there's no criminal rap sheet on the guy and he's there for his team.   I'm glad they worked him out because there's a whole lot of upside to this guy.

He's better then Buckner and Armstead both IMO and people here love Buckner so I don't get the dislike I don't want him at 15 for the simple fact that we are in desperate need for a CB or ILB lol but I love Malik 

4 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

He's better then Buckner and Armstead both IMO and people here love Buckner so I don't get the dislike I don't want him at 15 for the simple fact that we are in desperate need for a CB or ILB lol but I love Malik 

I can't argue with that mindset.  All I know is I would have no problem adding Malik on this ball club.  That would be nice to have Malik, Ridgeway, Hankins, Anderson, and Langford.  If we can be the ones to get something out of Margus Hunt at one of those 3-4 DE positions also we'll have a pretty solid DL rotation.  And of course you can't forget about TY Mcgill.  A lot of names to figure out. 

There is a solid chance McDowell is BPA at #15...which is probably one of the reasons Ballard brought him in for a visit. 

I think he is exactly the type of talent this team needs...someone in the mold of a Calais Campbell of Wilkerson...who can create pressure from the interior DL.

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

There is a solid chance McDowell is BPA at #15...which is probably one of the reasons Ballard brought him in for a visit. 

I think he is exactly the type of talent this team needs...someone in the mold of a Calais Campbell of Wilkerson...who can create pressure from the interior DL.

I don't know if I have my mind at 15 for Malik, but I do agree the talent is there.  We'll see

1 hour ago, krunk said:

So he's a bust because of his profile?  Nevermind all the film. At least Voch knows how to break film down to give you a decent idea of what you're seeing.   There's not a whole lot on film to say this guy is lazy and all the other claims you've made.  Nothing on film to indicate he looks like "Tarzan", plays like Jane.    Everything in this thread is probably the most you've even watched of Mcdowell.   And who says he has to be drafted in the first round?

Huh?

I did not use the word bust.    Would you care to point out where I did?

The guy played football for 3 years at MSU and started for two of them.      I think he has 7-8 total sacks.    That's it.      And pass rush is supposed to be what he does best.       Solly had 8 sacks this year alone.

Did it occur to you that all of your talk about what is "on film" doesn't mean there isn't film to show that he doesn't play hard all the time.      When was the last time you saw film on a player that said he doesn't play hard?    Almost never.  

Look.....    you like the guy.      Clearly you're bothered by my "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" comment.    Except that's not just me talking.....     that's NFL scouts.   They don't use that quote,  but they clearly believe he doesn't play hard for much of the game.    You do't like my point of view?     Take it up with NFL scouts,   because that's where I got my concerns from. 

As to your last comment about McDowell,  "Who says he has to be drafted n the first round?".....     I hate to tell you this,  but you just contradicted yourself.      The guy you're backing,  Lombardi,  has said McDowell is better than Thomas.     And since pretty much everyone has Thomas projected as a top-10 player,  than I guess Lombardi thinks McDowell should be drafted in the first round.      All I did was ask "who is Lombardi, and why should I care about what he says....?"      And that set you off.....    And you didn't even tell me who he is and why I should care.....

Sorry, my friend.....     but this is a completely strange post from you to me......

3 hours ago, krunk said:

Yeah but we don't know how true that rumor is. Or of it even has any validity at all

Sure, if it's not true then it's a different story. He's a 1st rounder if he's a good teammate with solid work ethic and off the field stuff. But if the rumors are true, I'm probably hoping he falls to the 3rd round before I'm considering him.

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

I did not use the word bust.    Would you care to point out where I did?

The guy played football for 3 years at MSU and started for two of them.      I think he has 7-8 total sacks.    That's it.      And pass rush is supposed to be what he does best.       Solly had 8 sacks this year alone.

Did it occur to you that all of your talk about what is "on film" doesn't mean there isn't film to show that he doesn't play hard all the time.      When was the last time you saw film on a player that said he doesn't play hard?    Almost never.  

Look.....    you like the guy.      Clearly you're bothered by my "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" comment.    Except that's not just me talking.....     that's NFL scouts.   They don't use that quote,  but they clearly believe he doesn't play hard for much of the game.    You do't like my point of view?     Take it up with NFL scouts,   because that's where I got my concerns from. 

As to your last comment about McDowell,  "Who says he has to be drafted n the first round?".....     I hate to tell you this,  but you just contradicted yourself.      The guy you're backing,  Lombardi,  has said McDowell is better than Thomas.     And since pretty much everyone has Thomas projected as a top-10 player,  than I guess Lombardi thinks McDowell should be drafted in the first round.      All I did was ask "who is Lombardi, and why should I care about what he says....?"      And that set you off.....    And you didn't even tell me who he is and why I should care.....

Sorry, my friend.....     but this is a completely strange post from you to me......

It's not strange at all.    In order for me to contradict myself I have to be in agreement or having said that he should be going high in the first. Specifically being taken at #15 which you automatically shot that down as if there could be no other possible placement for him to be taken.  As a matter of fact at the end of my original post I said "now the question is where should he be taken?".   There's a number of people on this forum that watch Lombardis player break downs and like the analysis.  It doesn't mean that his opinion over rides anyone else.  It's just another view point.  I just liked that he used the film to show that some of the things that are said about Malik are not totally true.  I don't recall Lombardi anywhere in his breakdown saying Mcdowell should be drafted at #10.  What he did say was that Mcdowell had just as much talent if not more.  I posted the videos to see what the common view was. 

11 minutes ago, krunk said:

It's not strange at all.    In order for me to contradict myself I have to be in agreement or having said that he should be going high in the first. Specifically being taken at #15 which you automatically shot that down as if there could be no other possible placement for him to be taken.  As a matter of fact at the end of my original post I said "now the question is where should he be taken?".   There's a number of people on this forum that watch Lombardis player break downs and like the analysis.  It doesn't mean that his opinion over rides anyone else.  It's just another view point.  I just liked that he used the film to show that some of the things that are said about Malik are not totally true.  I don't recall Lombardi anywhere in his breakdown saying Mcdowell should be drafted at #10.  What he did say was that Mcdowell had just as much talent if not more.  I posted the videos to see what the common view was. 

I don't know if you're a Michigan State guy or not?     But at this point,  I don't much care.

1.     I didn't call McDowell a bust.     I said I don't want to take him at 15.    We need to draft a player -- any player -- and not have to worry about his attitude or motor.     I don't like drafting players that have a reputation for the game not being very important for him.    

2.   Without telling me why I should care about Lombardi,  he says that McDowell is better than Thomas.    Thomas is going top-10 and so I assume Lombardi think's McDowell should go top-10 as well.     And he might.   But everything I read says he's not and there has to be a reason for it.    Everyone loves his physical tools.   So, why isn't he being projected as a top-10 player?      It's not just Lance Zierlein wondering about McDowell's attitude.     It's McShay and his crew.     It's Kiper and it's the guys on NFL.com,  Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks and Mike Mayock.      What do they know that Lombardi doesn't.

I simply made one post and you jumped all over my business with a two-post response that made no sense.

When you can tell me why I should pay any attention to Voch Lombardi,  then we can have a meaningful discussion.       Until then,  I'm not sure what to tell you.....

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't know if you're a Michigan State guy or not?     But at this point,  I don't much care.

1.     I didn't call McDowell a bust.     I said I don't want to take him at 15.    We need to draft a player -- any player -- and not have to worry about his attitude or motor.     I don't like drafting players that have a reputation for the game not being very important for him.    

2.   Without telling me why I should care about Lombardi,  he says that McDowell is better than Thomas.    Thomas is going top-10 and so I assume Lombardi think's McDowell should go top-10 as well.     And he might.   But everything I read says he's not and there has to be a reason for it.    Everyone loves his physical tools.   So, why isn't he being projected as a top-10 player?      It's not just Lance Zierlein wondering about McDowell's attitude.     It's McShay and his crew.     It's Kiper and it's the guys on NFL.com,  Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks and Mike Mayock.      What do they know that Lombardi doesn't.

I simply made one post and you jumped all over my business with a two-post response that made no sense.

When you can tell me why I should pay any attention to Voch Lombardi,  then we can have a meaningful discussion.       Until then,  I'm not sure what to tell you.....

Did Lombardi say anything about Mcdowell going in the top 10?  No, No, and No

Did I make the post to explain to you who Lombardi is or say that you should take his expert opinion?  It's mainly for those who watch Lombardis analysis. This wasn't a post to say he should be taken over Solomon Thomas but I knew you'd take it that way. And the first words out of your mouth was to immediately shoot down any mention of Mcdowell being selected with your beloved 15th pick.  It was just a decent view point on the player.  And to shed more light on Mcdowell outside of popping up some Draft Profile as the end all be all to every single thing.       

10 minutes ago, krunk said:

Did I make the post to explain to you who Lombardi is or say that you should take his expert opinion?  It's mainly for those who watch Lombardis analysis. This wasn't a post to say he should be taken over Solomon Thomas but I knew you'd take it that way. And the first words out of your mouth was to immediately shoot down any mention of Mcdowell being selected with your beloved 15th pick.  It was just a decent view point on the player.  And to she more light on Mcdowell outside of popping up some Draft Profile as the end all be all to every single thing.       

When a guy says that McDowell should go before Solomon Thomas, the majority of hardcore draft analysts on this forum think about him going top 10 (or in my case, top 5). The majority of mocks I see today have Solomon Thomas going in the top 4 (none later than Jacksonville). So I'm thinking this guy thinks he should go in the top 5 range. I also have no idea who Voch Lombardi is. I don't even know if he's related to Vince Lombardi or not. He's a nobody to me. I would like to know more about him. To me, McDowell is a 2nd round pick, and it would take a lot to change that. He's basically saying he can be as impactful as Myles Garrett, who will go no2 at worst. That's bold. 

15 minutes ago, krunk said:

Did I make the post to explain to you who Lombardi is or say that you should take his expert opinion?  It's mainly for those who watch Lombardis analysis. This wasn't a post to say he should be taken over Solomon Thomas but I knew you'd take it that way. And the first words out of your mouth was to immediately shoot down any mention of Mcdowell being selected with your beloved 15th pick.  It was just a decent view point on the player.  And to shed more light on Mcdowell outside of popping up some Draft Profile as the end all be all to every single thing.       

I'm going to focus my response here towards a sentence you wrote....

But towards the end,  you just wrote,  "it was just a decent view point for the player."

How do you know?      How do you know it's not pure crap?     How do you know it wouldn't be torn apart by a professional scout?         What are this guy's credentials and why should anyone care?      I've asked that in every post,  and you've yet to address that.

Clearly you're a fan and I've offended you.     That was not my intention,  so I'm sorry.

But there's a lot of material out there on the internet.     A few years ago we had a young poster here named Andrew Aziz.     Nice kid.  I don't think he was 20.    He liked to post draft related reviews of players and frankly,  he wasn't all that good at it.      His material wasn't all that well received here.     At least,  not compared to Dustin or Gavin, or Superman, or lots of other posters.        Anyway,  he's now a draft expert for another website,   I don't recall if it's Stampede Blue or Colts Authority.        My point is,  you can find HIS work on the internet too.     Doesn't make him a draft expert.      Until Lombardi has his work appear on a reputable website,  then I'm always highly skeptical of people like this.      He appears to have worked very hard --- good for him.     Doesn't mean he's right or that he knows what he's talking about.

I saw the post here....    I saw a name that I didn't recognize and asked who he was and why should I care what he says....      I say that about a lot of people....    I always want to know who I'm reading and why I should care....     still looking for an answer....

We had a discussion about this video and McDowell vs Thomas in another thread here:

Without overrepeating myself, to summarize my opinion - I like Lombardi's video usually, but he started this one by admitting that he's doing the video as a response to an argument he's had online. I think this specific video is very selectively edited and was commented on in a biased way during the video(I gave the example of the comments about Thomas' motor at the goalline situation, where it was presented as some egregious lack of effort, when in reality it had nothing to do with effort and motor). I think the worst effort film of McDowell is much worse than the worst effort film of Thomas you can get.

With that said, when McDowell is locked in, he's a freaking manace and pursues to the end. I have no issue with people thinking McDowell has better natural football talent. He might. Especially if we are talking about him playing inside. I think on talent alone he's clearly a top 10-15 talent. Now, when the other considerations come in, it becomes much less clear where he should be taken. If we do take him at 15 I'd just think Ballard has determined the issues are overblown in the media and he thinks we can work with him and get him straight and coach him up. I also think that if the issues are as bad as they are reported to be, he might fall significantly, maybe even out of round 2. I guess, we will have to wait and see.

6 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

When a guy says that McDowell should go before Solomon Thomas, the majority of hardcore draft analysts on this forum think about him going top 10 (or in my case, top 5). The majority of mocks I see today have Solomon Thomas going in the top 4 (none later than Jacksonville). So I'm thinking this guy thinks he should go in the top 5 range. I also have no idea who Voch Lombardi is. I don't even know if he's related to Vince Lombardi or not. He's a nobody to me. I would like to know more about him. To me, McDowell is a 2nd round pick, and it would take a lot to change that. He's basically saying he can be as impactful as Myles Garrett, who will go no2 at worst. That's bold. 

There you go as usual adding your own twist on stuff.  Now you're trying to bring Myles Garrett into the fold.   Not only that you want to speak authoritatively about it.      Bull

5 hours ago, stitches said:

We had a discussion about this video and McDowell vs Thomas in another thread here:

Without overrepeating myself, to summarize my opinion - I like Lombardi's video usually, but he started this one by admitting that he's doing the video as a response to an argument he's had online. I think this specific video is very selectively edited and was commented on in a biased way during the video(I gave the example of the comments about Thomas' motor at the goalline situation, where it was presented as some egregious lack of effort, when in reality it had nothing to do with effort and motor). I think the worst effort film of McDowell is much worse than the worst effort film of Thomas you can get.

With that said, when McDowell is locked in, he's a freaking manace and pursues to the end. I have no issue with people thinking McDowell has better natural football talent. He might. Especially if we are talking about him playing inside. I think on talent alone he's clearly a top 10-15 talent. Now, when the other considerations come in, it becomes much less clear where he should be taken. If we do take him at 15 I'd just think Ballard has determined the issues are overblown in the media and he thinks we can work with him and get him straight and coach him up. I also think that if the issues are as bad as they are reported to be, he might fall significantly, maybe even out of round 2. I guess, we will have to wait and see.

This is fair analysis.  I didn't post the link to say Mcdowell needed to be drafted higher than Thomas. Or to establish Voch Lombardi as some type of expert to be taken over the opinions of others.  Just wanted to get some opinions on the player because he's actually pretty good. 

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

There you go as usual adding your own twist on stuff.  Now you're trying to bring Myles Garrett into the fold.   Not only that you want to speak authoritatively about it.      Bull

You must be drunk krunk. Your new nickname lol. I just posted once and am not NCF. Also, the video you put up had Lombardi mention Myles Garrett and compared Malik Mcdowell favorably to him. You remember your film room tape post? Get off the sauce dude.

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You must be drunk krunk. Your new nickname lol. I just posted once and am not NCF. Also, the video you put up had Lombardi mention Myles Garrett and compared Malik Mcdowell favorably to him. You remember your film room tape post? Get off the sauce dude.

And where exactly did Lombardi say he needed to be drafted?    You're making assumptions off your own whatever that is you're using.    Tell me where he said he should be drafted son. There's players every year that get drafted lower than what their talent level really is.  Did you hear him say he needs to be drafted with Myles Garrett and Solomon Thomas.  No that's drunkeness of your ego Jared 

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

And where exactly did Lombardi say he needed to be drafted?    You're making assumptions off your own whatever that is you're using.    Tell me where he said he should be drafted son. 

The title of your thread said "Malik McDowell is better than Solomon Thomas says Voch Lombardi". If he is better than Solomon Thomas, then he will get drafted above him, which is top 5. So apparently, Lombardi thinks Malik McDowell is a top 5 pick, whether he says it or not. That's where the disagreement comes in from the intelligent draft posters on this forum, and something you refuse to admit.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

The title of your thread said "Malik McDowell is better than Solomon Thomas says Voch Lombardi". If he is better than Solomon Thomas, then he will get drafted above him, which is top 5. So apparently, Lombardi thinks Malik McDowell thinks he is a top 5 pick, whether he says it or not. That's where the disagreement comes in from the intelligent draft posters on this forum, and something you refuse to admit.

Bull.   As my most recent post states there are players every year who get drafted lower than what their talent level is for xyz reason.   Talent wise Mcdowell is up there.   Doesn't mean the rest of the package needs to be drafted at 5-10.   That's just an assumption you made because you wanted to jump in the conversation and talk authoritatively on the issue.   

17 minutes ago, krunk said:

This is fair analysis.  I didn't post the link to say Mcdowell needed to be drafted higher than Thomas.

Or to establish Voch Lombardi as some type of expert to be taken over the opinions of others.  Just wanted to get some opinions on the player because he's actually pretty good. 

I usually like his videos, they give me different perspective. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't with the analysis, but it's fun to see what others see in different players and how they watch film. I'm relatively new to it, so I'm very far from being any sort of an expert. I'm still learning the game if I have to be honest, so whatever I say, take with a grain of salt. I try to do my best and give a fair assessment of what I see, but because I didn't grow up watching football and I've never played football, it's very possible I'm missing things or I'm not watching for the right things or I'm giving undue importance to things that are not worth it or vice-versa. That's why I love reading the full length analysis people here provide(the Budda Baker and Jamer Conner threads), or whatever analysis I can find on youtube.

Now on the topic you are interested in this thread - from what I've watched from McDowell, when his effort is good, he has great strength and violent hands on the inside, but doesn't seem to have very many advanced pass-rushing moves, although he creates pressure and penetration with his strength and hands. He has great strength against double teams and on run plays where he holds very well at point of attack and sheds blocks well to get to the carrier. In certain games his film looks incredibly impressive. He truly looks like a top 10 talent. Other times, he's ... meh and looked like he's not giving any effort. He also admited at the combine that he disregarded game plans, coaches instructions and was freelancing. He said it with pride. Like it was something to be praised about because every now and then it worked. Every time I've heard him talk I've thought to myself "My oh my... somebody needs to tell him to shut up until the draft".

Just now, krunk said:

Bull.   As my most recent post states there are players every year who get drafted lower than what their talent level is for xyz reason.   Talent wise Mcdowell is up there.   Doesn't mean the rest of the package needs to be drafted at 5-10.   That's just an assumption you made because you wanted to jump in the conversation and talk authoritatively on the issue.   

Talent-wise, half of first round picks are busts. The bottom line is you either misquoted Lombardi to start a thread, or you are are telling the truth and he really believes that which means he would also believe that McDowell should be a top 5 or at worst top 10 pick (ahead of Solomon Thomas because he believes he's better). You got caught, now quit digging a hole for yourself. Any simpleton can put two and two together. The guy is a nobody to me, but it definitely seems like you misquoted him to start a thread.

7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Talent-wise, half of first round picks are busts. The bottom line is you either misquoted Lombardi to start a thread, or you are are telling the truth and he really believes that which means he would also believe that McDowell should be a top 5 or at worst top 10 pick (ahead of Solomon Thomas because he believes he's better). You got caught, now quit digging a hole for yourself. Any simpleton can put two and two together. The guy is a nobody to me, but it definitely seems like you misquoted him to start a thread.

I got caught!  By who?    What hole am I digging here son?      I didnt misquote anything,  and don't see a reason to defend against a point I clearly wasnt trying to make.  You made the point up to sound good bashing something that was imaginary.   Post had nothing to do with any of us contemplating him being drafted in the top 5.  You made the assumption yourself.