Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My Best Case Scenario 2017 Draft for Colts

This site I used currently has Indy picking 9th. My ideal scenario is to trade down and acquire extra 2nds and 3rds, but to keep it somewhat realistic, I didn't simulate any trade downs. Here we go....

1 - DE Derek Barnett (He could play both DE and OLB, but may be best as a hands in the ground pure DE. Basically he is a do it all DE who can create havoc in the backfield either in stopping the run or getting after the QB. Indy desperately needs a player like this. He is also a pretty good leader from what I hear.)

2 - DE Dawuane Smoot (Pass rush should be whispered into the ear of Irsay and hopefully the new GM many times during the 2017 draft, and Smoot would be a great addition to that alongside Barnett. These two could have the opportunity to feed off each other and be long term stalwarts on defense for Indy.)  

3 - RB Royce Freeman (Indy needs their RB of the future, and Freeman has the chance to fall to the early 3rd with the talent that is out there at RB next draft.)

4 - ILB Azeem Victor (Gives the Colts more talent at ILB, which is much needed. D'Qwell should be gone after the year, and the only ILBs worth keeping long term are Morrison and maybe Edwin Jackson.)

4 (comp for Fleener) - OG Mason Cole (I really like this guy and he could be a stud at RG for the Colts. Good is still shaky and its not certain he's the long term answer there.)

5 - CB Brandon Facyson (A taller, physical corner, would give Indy better depth here. I could see Indy bringing in another CB as well.)

6 - RB Marlon Mack (Added depth at RB)

6 - (comp pick) - CB MJ Stewart (Added depth at CB)

10 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

This site I used currently has Indy picking 9th. My ideal scenario is to trade down and acquire extra 2nds and 3rds, but to keep it somewhat realistic, I didn't simulate any trade downs. Here we go....

1 - DE Derek Barnett (He could play both DE and OLB, but may be best as a hands in the ground pure DE. Basically he is a do it all DE who can create havoc in the backfield either in stopping the run or getting after the QB. Indy desperately needs a player like this. He is also a pretty good leader from what I hear.)

2 - DE Dawuane Smoot (Pass rush should be whispered into the ear of Irsay and hopefully the new GM many times during the 2017 draft, and Smoot would be a great addition to that alongside Barnett. These two could have the opportunity to feed off each other and be long term stalwarts on defense for Indy.)  

3 - RB Royce Freeman (Indy needs their RB of the future, and Freeman has the chance to fall to the early 3rd with the talent that is out there at RB next draft.)

4 - ILB Azeem Victor (Gives the Colts more talent at ILB, which is much needed. D'Qwell should be gone after the year, and the only ILBs worth keeping long term are Morrison and maybe Edwin Jackson.)

4 (comp for Fleener) - OG Mason Cole (I really like this guy and he could be a stud at RG for the Colts. Good is still shaky and its not certain he's the long term answer there.)

5 - CB Brandon Facyson (A taller, physical corner, would give Indy better depth here. I could see Indy bringing in another CB as well.)

6 - RB Marlon Mack (Added depth at RB)

6 - (comp pick) - CB MJ Stewart (Added depth at CB)

If your going to pick up a guy that is DE not OLB then Jonathan Allen from Alabama is a better option.

1 hour ago, jameszeigler834 said:

If your going to pick up a guy that is DE not OLB then Jonathan Allen from Alabama is a better option.

I feel like Barnett is a better pure pass rusher. I wouldn't mind Allrn either but I don't know if Allen is a double digit sack guy in the NFL. 

If this was our draft I'd be happy. I mean I want Garrett, but there's several good EDGE rushers in this class. We need to hit a grand slam in free agency though. Chandler Jones/Nick Perry/Melvin Ingram, Stephon Gilmore, Zach Brown plus this draft would be pretty awesome. We need to literally become loaded with EDGE rushers over night. 1 or 2 in free agency, and 2-3 in the draft.

48 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

If this was our draft I'd be happy. I mean I want Garrett, but there's several good EDGE rushers in this class. We need to hit a grand slam in free agency though. Chandler Jones/Nick Perry/Melvin Ingram, Stephon Gilmore, Zach Brown plus this draft would be pretty awesome. We need to literally become loaded with EDGE rushers over night. 1 or 2 in free agency, and 2-3 in the draft.

if we can sign ingram , fairley and perry but most likely it either perry or ingram if had to spend fa money but fairley we can get cheap , so fairley and kiko we get for cheap , perry or ingram going to cost serious coin . draft garret to complement ingram or perry , hopefully draft sidney jones to complement vontae putting prob as 3rd corner and butler as the fourth and Zack cunnigham to complement kiko in the linebacking core 

Two OLBs is what I've been playing around with two. I guy that could easily fall to us later is Carl Lawson. I want Garrett, Barnett, Smoot, or Harris first in that order.

Barnett I like at SAM with Maggitt as his backup. I like Smoot or Harris at Rush but we need backups behind them.

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Two OLBs is what I've been playing around with two. I guy that could easily fall to us later is Carl Lawson. I want Garrett, Barnett, Smoot, or Harris first in that order.

Barnett I like at SAM with Maggitt as his backup. I like Smoot or Harris at Rush but we need backups behind them.

Barnett would excell at SAM. Pairing him with the highly athletic Lawson at Rush would be a dream come true!

If we are in the teens, I'd be fine with:

1. Zach Cunningham, ILB, Vanderbilt

2. Jourdan Lewis, CB, Michigan (he reminds me a bit of Jason Verrett of the Chargers)/ my other option would be Dawuane Smoot, OLB/DE, Illinois

3. Ejuan Price, OLB, Pittsburgh (his stock is rising)

4. Kendell Beckwith, ILB, LSU

5. Elijah Hood, RB, North Carolina

• 3 weeks later...

1. Leonard Fournette RB (Gore Stays For 1 More Year Minimum)

2. Tim Williams or DeMarus Walker or Smoot or Barnett or Haynes DE

3. Cam Sutton CB

4. Quincy Wilson CB

or 

Trade Back

1. Tim Williams or Derek Barnett or Walker DE

1. Reuben Foster ILB

2. Marquis Haynes DE

3. Cam Sutton CB

4. Quincy Wilson CB

4. Jalen Hurd RB