Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

After Sleeping on it...

IndyD4U

20 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Scouting report. 

Morrison1_zpsrd1ckdmx.jpg

Morrison2_zpsscumzkr0.jpg

I especially direct your attention to the first sentence in the summary of football ability.

"Summary of Football Ability-

This player reminds me of D’Qwell Jackson. A tough, physical player whose aggressive style makes him a candidate as a two-down ILB... "

If I get a chance to find and listen to it I will.  However, anything Grigson and Pagano state I take with a grain of salt. Too many time last year where they weren't fully forthright or accurate in their reporting.

First off.....   it's NEVER their job to be fully forthright or accurate with their comments.     Never.

The information they give out is on a need to know basis,  and if they color it one way or another,   they have a reason to.      This is true of all 32 GM's and HC's...

Second....     I have no idea who has written the scouting report.    I have no idea of their track record.

But I take the words of Grigson and Pagano on face value.    They mentioned Freeman in their comments,  perhaps I misinterpreted them....     we'll see....

I am not saying I believe everything they say.    Nor am I saying that everything they say is correct.    I don't know if you've seen most post,  but I've openly said that I'm highly skeptical of the staff's ability to judge talent and have that talent perform.      Green a 1?    Clark a borderline 1/2?    Hoag a 2?      Ridgeway and Morrison were taken before Hoag,  so what does that make them?      Do Dorsett and Smith deliver likes a 1 and a 2 should do? 

I'm very skeptical about our claims.     And we're about to find out how good the players are and how good we are at judging talent.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

First off.....   it's NEVER their job to be fully forthright or accurate with their comments.     Never.

Then why should I go listen to their press conference, if information I get isn't forthright or accurate?

The information they give out is on a need to know basis,  and if they color it one way or another,   they have a reason to.      This is true of all 32 GM's and HC's...

Second....     I have no idea who has written the scouting report.    I have no idea of their track record.

See below-

But I take the words of Grigson and Pagano on face value.    They mentioned Freeman in their comments,  perhaps I misinterpreted them....     we'll see....

I'm as scared on second down with D'Qwell and Morrison both in as ILB as folks were screaming to me about Ragland being in.  Teams go No huddle, spread 'em out,  and attack the Jackson/Morrison combo.

I am not saying I believe everything they say.    Nor am I saying that everything they say is correct.    I don't know if you've seen most post,  but I've openly said that I'm highly skeptical of the staff's ability to judge talent and have that talent perform.      Green a 1?    Clark a borderline 1/2?    Hoag a 2?      Ridgeway and Morrison were taken before Hoag,  so what does that make them?      Do Dorsett and Smith deliver likes a 1 and a 2 should do? 

This is the vision of coaches... they want players they can coach (have skills, and attitude, coach-ability  personality, etc..), and want to coach them into players.  Let's see how the new coaching staff does in their assignments.

I'm very skeptical about our claims.     And we're about to find out how good the players are and how good we are at judging talent.

I took a different route this year, and opened myself up to more paid sites with real scouts and scouting reports.

IE: Bill Roos at RFN, Chris Landry at LandryFootball.com, etc...

I trust these guys more than most all free sites.  I do follow Gil Brandt though.  And also Pat Kirwan, Bill Polian, Mark Dominik, and Phil Savage on NFL radio (Sirius XM).  From all of my resources, I feel I have pretty good take on how these prospects grade out and are looked upon by those still employed in the NFL.

And yes, I'm also an ESPN Insider member, but rarely had time or used it much this year.

11 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Then why should I go listen to their press conference, if information I get isn't forthright or accurate?

See below-

I'm as scared on second down with D'Qwell and Morrison both in as ILB as folks were screaming to me about Ragland being in.  Teams go No huddle, spread 'em out,  and attack the Jackson/Morrison combo.

This is the vision of coaches... they want players they can coach (have skills, and attitude, coach-ability  personality, etc..), and want to coach them into players.  Let's see how the new coaching staff does in their assignments.

I took a different route this year, and opened myself up to more paid sites with real scouts and scouting reports.

IE: Bill Roos at RFN, Chris Landry at LandryFootball.com, etc...

I trust these guys more than most all free sites.  I do follow Gil Brandt though.  And also Pat Kirwan, Bill Polian, Mark Dominik, and Phil Savage on NFL radio (Sirius XM).  From all of my resources, I feel I have pretty good take on how these prospects grade out and are looked upon by those still employed in the NFL.

And yes, I'm also an ESPN Insider member, but rarely had time or used it much this year.

You should view the video so you can literally hear things 1st hand straight from them and not take my word or the word of anyone else.      I find actually listening to them to be helpful.

As for trusting or not trusting comments....   these are the kind of comments I trust.   They have to defend their decisions.   It's on the record.    If they're wrong and the team does poorly it's the kind of thing that gets you fired.  

They may not be accurate or right,  but I believe them to be their sincere views....        The kind of comments I don't trust are more typically about injuries.    My nonsense meter is always going off when I listen to coaches and GM's talk about injuries during the course of the season especially.

As for Roos and Landry....   I'm not nearly as familiar with them.    I only know of them....    I'll try and check out their websites....

https://landryfootball.com/about-chris/

Bill Roos is a scout, and now report dto RFN here-

https://realfootballnetwork.com/rfn-staff/bill-roos-scout/

Pat Kirwan-

https://realfootballnetwork.com/rfn-staff/pat-kirwan/

Mark Dominik is a former professional football executive and scout for the Kansas City Chiefs and Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the National Football League from 1994 to 2013. He is on NFL radio SiriusXM, and is an ESPN insider.

Phillip Savage, Jr. is a former general manager for the Cleveland Browns of the National Football League. He was the senior vice president and general manager of the Browns from 2005 to 2008 and is on SiriusXM NFL radio.

Bill Polian...  on Sirius XM  NFL radio as well.

I have more resources, but not divulging them all right now, and I will grade all them during the season and see who gets my money next year too... :-)

The "Godfather" Gil Brandt-

http://www.nfl.com/news/author?id=09000d5d80026e07

On 4/30/2016 at 9:11 AM, IndyD4U said:

I am even more excited about our picks than I was last night. I'll say it, this is the best first three round draft by Grigson. We got out starting center which has been a glaring hole on this O-line since Jeff Saturday retired. Not just a starting center, the best center to enter the draft in recent years!

We got a tremendously athletic safety, while still being very raw, has metrics that are off the chart. Give him a year under Adams and some coaching up and you all will be surprised. Green was a projected late 1st round pick - early second, so I feel we got good value. Don't be surprised if he see's some mid-late season action besides being a gunner on ST.

And Finally, perhaps the most exciting pick, La'Raven Clark! This guy is a starter right out the door. I think we use him at RG, but I could see an instance where we let Good/Reitz/Clark battle it out for RT. He's nasty on the football field and brings tenacity! He needs to get stronger up top, but that will come with time. He was also a projected late first/second round pick by many.

AC Mewhort Kelly Clark Good/Reitz is going to be our Oline. I think we can already see Philbin's impact on this team

Now bring on all the negative Nancy's :rock:

While it takes a few years to know for sure that a draft was good, I have a very good feeling about most of our picks this year. 

On 4/30/2016 at 8:11 AM, IndyD4U said:

I am even more excited about our picks than I was last night. I'll say it, this is the best first three round draft by Grigson. We got out starting center which has been a glaring hole on this O-line since Jeff Saturday retired. Not just a starting center, the best center to enter the draft in recent years!

We got a tremendously athletic safety, while still being very raw, has metrics that are off the chart. Give him a year under Adams and some coaching up and you all will be surprised. Green was a projected late 1st round pick - early second, so I feel we got good value. Don't be surprised if he see's some mid-late season action besides being a gunner on ST.

And Finally, perhaps the most exciting pick, La'Raven Clark! This guy is a starter right out the door. I think we use him at RG, but I could see an instance where we let Good/Reitz/Clark battle it out for RT. He's nasty on the football field and brings tenacity! He needs to get stronger up top, but that will come with time. He was also a projected late first/second round pick by many.

AC Mewhort Kelly Clark Good/Reitz is going to be our Oline. I think we can already see Philbin's impact on this team

Now bring on all the negative Nancy's :rock:

Philosophical question, since metrics is a way of measuring something and those measurements are charted, is it really accurate to say that his measurables are immeasurable.

Outside of that, I disagree about Green.  Not that I think he's a bad pick, that will be determined, I just disagree his measurables are off the chart, his speed and agility is good for a safety, even top tier but it's not like, based on his measurables, he is going to be the start of a new breed of safeties in the NFL.