Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jets fined for Revis tampering

amfootball

No draft pick swap??? 

LOL...

Yeah. Seems strange to find them guilty of tampering with such a high profile player like Revis and no draft pick. There have been rumblings that the NY Daily News may be wrong on this and there may be indeed be a draft pick. No word from the NFL yet,

Glad to see they found the Pats where not guilty of tampering in that situation.  Punishment does seem small.  A high profile player obviously on contract with another team and you basically send out the message that your team would be interested in signing him.

Nothing is for certain but it could have cost the Pats the ability to re-sign Revis.  Should be a draft pick IMO.  

It's stupid to tamper but every team does it, Id imagine.  It's just the ones who get caught pay for it.  At least they didn't lose draft picks.  I personally think $100K is nothing to the Jets especially because they actually signed Revis.  It would have sucked if they would have gotten fined, lost draft picks and didn't sign him lol

Yeah. Seems strange to find them guilty of tampering with such a high profile player like Revis and no draft pick. There have been rumblings that the NY Daily News may be wrong on this and there may be indeed be a draft pick. No word from the NFL yet,

The only people who though that New England was getting a draft pick were delusional Patriots fans.

The only people who though that New England was getting a draft pick were delusional Patriots fans.

I'm not aware that the team that is hurt -- in this case, the Patriots -- would actually get a pick from the Jets.

My understanding is the Jets could be fined,  or could lose a pick,  or both,  but that the money and/or the pick do not go to the other team.

I could easily be wrong....   but that's my understanding....

Hoping Wells report will be next ...

I think the Wells Report is a week or two weeks away.

IMO,  the NFL does NOT want this story to be talked about during the draft.   Too much of a distraction.

So,  they put off the result until the following week or two.

Frankly,  I think the NFL has mishandled this so badly,  that I don't blame anyone who doesn't like the outcome.

I think the Pats will get fined...   but that's about it.    Just my guess.    The NFL doesn't want to hurt the Shield, and it would if it had to severely punish the Super Bowl Champions.

So,  there will be a fine, a slap on the wrist,  and it will come down in May....   when it's too late to talk about during the draft,  and by the time the regular season comes around,  no one will care much anymore.

Not sure the NFL is capable of doing anything right anymore.

I think the Wells Report is a week or two weeks away.

IMO,  the NFL does NOT want this story to be talked about during the draft.   Too much of a distraction.

So,  they put off the result until the following week or two.

Frankly,  I think the NFL has mishandled this so badly,  that I don't blame anyone who doesn't like the outcome.

I think the Pats will get fined...   but that's about it.    Just my guess.    The NFL doesn't want to hurt the Shield, and it would if it had to severely punish the Super Bowl Champions.

So,  there will be a fine, a slap on the wrist,  and it will come down in May....   when it's too late to talk about during the draft,  and by the time the regular season comes around,  no one will care much anymore.

Not sure the NFL is capable of doing anything right anymore.

I don't know. It is hard to read the tea leaves on this one. I do think if there was a loss of a draft pick that the NFL would announce before the draft so if the report does come after next week than I think you are right and it may be just a fine. I do think Kraft would fight any type of punishment handed down by the league, even a fine, if they are not able to prove the balls were tampered with. He is pretty steamed over this so Wells better come with hard evidence if there is a fine.

Also, I think there will be details about the ball handling of the officials that will not make the league look good. So Goodell may be trying to figure out what new protocols will be before issuing the report so he can look buttoned up and ahead of the curve.

Yeah, cases where there was actual tampering. 

The league came and investigated the Jets in March for actual tampering beyond Woody's comments which happened in Dec. Obviously they did not find any evidence of communication or else there would have been a draft pick. That was the reason for the belief there might have been a pick involved.

The league came and investigated the Jets in March for actual tampering beyond Woody's comments which happened in Dec. Obviously they did not find any evidence of communication or else there would have been a draft pick. That was the reason for the belief there might have been a pick involved.

The reasoning was because of assumed other tampering with no evidence? 

The reasoning was because of assumed other tampering with no evidence? 

What? You have Woody's comments and then Revis signing with the Jets within a couple of hours after FA began. There was a lot of smoke to this one. It was not far fetched at all to believe a draft pick might have been at stake especially when the league sent investigations to NY in March.

There is PLENTY of precedent for that... it's disingenuous to say that Pats fans created something there. 

This whole thing was silly and unnecessary to me. In the end it would have come down to money no matter what. And the Patriots had the opportunity to make this whole thing moot by picking up Revis' option. 

All that said, it's fair to speculate that Woody Johnson's comments did possibly impact the whole process. The player said just this week that when he was cut in Tampa he "went knocking" on Idzik's door and was turned away. 

So...

March 2014, he's released, contacts the Jets, and is told "no thanks." Signs with the Patriots.

December 2014, Woody says he'd love to have Revis back. Keep in mind that Idzik, who was the driving force in trading him in the first place, is virtually out the door already, and everyone knows it.

March 2015, Revis now knows the door is reopened in NY and has even more leverage than he already had. 

Yeah, cases where there was actual tampering. 

You could easily argue that the comments leading to this case were more innocuous than what Woody Johnson said. Not to say I agree that this is tampering, but... just citing precedent here. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/18/league-finds-lions-guilty-of-tampering/

Jason La Canfora of NFL Network reports that the league has nailed the Lions for tampering with Chiefs players.  The Lions will lose a seventh-round pick acquired from the Broncos in 2011, and the Chiefs and Lions will swap fifth-round picks.

It’s a 14-spot jump for the Chiefs in round five, from 23rd position to ninth.

The charges first came to light in December 2010, arising from statements made earlier in the year by Lions defensive coordinator (and former Chiefs defensive coordinator and head coach) Gunther Cunningham.

“[Kansas City] keeps wanting to dump their players,” Cunningham said in February 2010.  “I would like to be there to catch a lot of them, because I know a couple of those guys.”

March 2015, Revis now knows the door is reopened in NY and has even more leverage than he already had. 

All things considered, all it took was a phone call, really. Just like Revis' agent called the Jets prior to 2014, he would have called the Jets prior to 2015. Everyone knew Revis was hitting free agency, and everyone knew that he wanted to be paid big money.

That said, the NFL wants to dissuade these kinds of comments, because in a different situation, they could have an impact on negotiations prior to free agency. I figured a slap on the wrist was coming, just because of that. But I don't think anyone really thinks Woody Johnson's comments affected the Pats and Revis.