Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

About Peterson returning to the Vikings...

A few weeks back,  I got into a debate with two of my favorite posters....   Dustin and Superman....

And their view was Minnesota had almost the same amount of yards rushing last year without Peterson as they did in 2013 WITH Peterson.    So,  they should trade him because they didn't need him.

I took their argument at face value and didn't double check.   But over the past few weeks, I came upon some stats that I think might change this argument....

Here are the Vikings rushing numbers from 2014:  (Mostly WITHOUT Peterson)

Player                     Att Yds Yds/Att Long TD

Matt Asiata            164 570     3.5     19     9

Jerick McKinnon    113 538    4.8      55    0

Teddy Bridgewater   47 209    4.4      16    1

Cordarrelle Patterson 10 117 11.7     67    1

Joe Banyard               21  88    4.2     16    0

Adrian Peterson          21 75     3.6     17    0

Jarius Wright                5  71    14.2    27    0

Andrew Sendejo           1  48     48     48    0

Ben Tate                      13  38     2.9     9     0

Jerome Felton               4  27     6.8    21    0

Matt Cassel                   9 18      2      13     0

Christian Ponder           4 16       4       8     1

Charles Johnson           1 -11  -11     -11    0

And here are the Vikings numbers from 2013 WITH A.P.

Player                    Att    Yds    Yds/Att    Long    TD

Adrian Peterson    279 1,266       4.5         78       10

Toby Gerhart           36    283       7.9         41         2

Matt Asiata              44   166        3.8         39        3 

Cordarrelle Patterson 12 158      13.2        50        3

Christian Ponder      34    151       4.4        19        4

Matt Cassel              18     57        3.2        13        1

I'm sorry,  but I don't see how the Vikings "almost replaced" Peterson?    The two leading Minnesota running backs combined didn't gain  what AP gained the year before.    That's not my definition of "almost replaced"

I think this clearly shows that even if Minnesota trades away Peterson for pick(s),  they'll need to select a highly talented back in the draft.

If they trade away Peterson they totally are going to get something for him out of star power. Certainly agree there. 

I don't think they have replaced Peterson whatsoever going by these stats, but maybe they are trying to become more of a pass first team? I don't know, don't pay attention to the Vikings much. 

I'm sorry, but I don't see how the Vikings "almost replaced" Peterson? The two leading Minnesota running backs combined didn't gain what AP gained the year before. That's not my definition of "almost replaced"

I think this clearly shows that even if Minnesota trades away Peterson for pick(s), they'll need to select a highly talented back in the draft.

I normally agree with Superman and Dustin but not here. The Vikings needed two roster spots (McKinnon and Asiata) in 2014 to produce fewer yards than what AP alone produced in 2013. So, no, they did not "replace" AP.

Having said that, if the Vikings trade AP, I don't believe it is necessary to draft a RB early. I'd like to see what the Vikings have in McKinnon if he can play most of the season. He played only 11 games, starting 6, before going on IR. RB is not a priority. I would rather they use their picks on a couple of offensive linemen or a potentially great player that drops.

I normally agree with Superman and Dustin but not here. The Vikings needed two roster spots (McKinnon and Asiata) in 2014 to produce fewer yards than what AP alone produced in 2013. So, no, they did not "replace" AP.

Having said that, if the Vikings trade AP, I don't believe it is necessary to draft a RB early. I'd like to see what the Vikings have in McKinnon if he can play most of the season. He played only 11 games, starting 6, before going on IR. RB is not a priority. I would rather they use their picks on a couple of offensive linemen or a potentially great player that drops.

Two roster spots, at a quarter of the cost. And that was on an emergency basis. If a team plans to replace a feature back and actually contributes some resources to doing so, it's not difficult at all.

And as you mentioned on McKinnon, he got hurt. If he and Asiata had been able to keep working together, the combined production would have been better, I think.

I'm sorry,  but I don't see how the Vikings "almost replaced" Peterson?    The two leading Minnesota running backs combined didn't gain  what AP gained the year before.    That's not my definition of "almost replaced"

This is lacking context. The discussion was about why you don't need to use a first rounder to draft a RB, even a good one. It wasn't a discussion about getting rid of a great RB just because.

My point was that you can put together a stable of backs that can replace the production of a feature back. And as I mentioned in the post previous to this one, the Vikings were forced to do that on the fly. They didn't plan out a replacement strategy for AP because they didn't know they were going to need one. 

And the better example of the diminishing value above replacement for a feature back is the Ravens. Justin Forsett combined with the other guys to make it so the Ravens hardly even missed Ray Rice. And there's nothing special in a big picture sense about Forsett. 

Great players are just that, and I don't think any team should ever be in a hurry to push them out of the building. That certainly wasn't the point. 

570+538=1108.

They had 100ish yards less with a $10M smaller cap hit.

And provided none of the threat that Peterson does.

You think any defense feared either running back and had to alter their game plan to deal with either RB they way they would with AP?

For a guy who loves to rant about JAGS,  I don't suppose you noticed that's what Minnesota used. 

And provided none of the threat that Peterson does.

You think any defense feared either running back and had to alter their game plan to deal with either RB they way they would with AP?

For a guy who loves to rant about JAGS,  I don't suppose you noticed that's what Minnesota used. 

I don't think Jerick McKinnon is a JAG. He's an incredible threat, and if he comes back healthy this year, I think you'll see what I mean. And he's a receiving threat. He has the stuff to be an every down back in the NFL for several years.

cl2x8.gif

I don't think Jerick McKinnon is a JAG. He's an incredible threat, and if he comes back healthy this year, I think you'll see what I mean. And he's a receiving threat. He has the stuff to be an every down back in the NFL for several years.

cl2x8.gif

I think you're right.   I think I used a poor choice of words.    I liked McKinnon very much before last year's draft.   I think he tested through the roof at the combine and that put him on the map.    Think I had him as a high 4, and I think he went in the 3rd.

You make a fair point.

I think you're right.   I think I used a poor choice of words.    I liked McKinnon very much before last year's draft.   I think he tested through the roof at the combine and that put him on the map.    Think I had him as a high 4, and I think he went in the 3rd.

You make a fair point.

I originally thought he'd be a 7th or even UDFA, seeing that he played at no-name school. And he was technically an option QB in college. But he worked out well, and his tape was really good. I still didn't expect him to go in the 3rd, but I really liked him either way.

I guess it could go either way. AP carries a huge contract and is now 30 years old. Basically one year out of football also. I could see the Vikings wanting him back but I would also understand if they got some serious picks for him how it would work to their benefit. Trade an aging RB with a huge contract for a couple of future players and some cap space would be a tough not to turn down IMO. Something to keep in mind is AP has already said he wanted traded so would that mean he wouldn't put 100% effort into the Vikings if they kept him? The GM of the Vikings has a tough call to make.

I still don't see Dallas trading much for Adrian and his salary...and I dont see Minneosta dealing him.

The Vikings can make him play for them..and he's worth more to them than he is to Dallas..

Obviously, the Dallas halfback in 2014 gained 1800 yards,. does anybody think Adrian Peterson will gain 1,800 yards in 2015..?

Unless you're an old country boy from Tennessee you cant take a year off in your 30s, change teams and be the same player you were in the NFL

I still don't see Dallas trading much for Adrian and his salary...and I dont see Minneosta dealing him.

The Vikings can make him play for them..and he's worth more to them than he is to Dallas..

Obviously, the Dallas halfback in 2014 gained 1800 yards,. does anybody think Adrian Peterson will gain 1,800 yards in 2015..?

Unless you're an old country boy from Tennessee you cant take a year off in your 30s, change teams and be the same player you were in the NFL

i think he could get 1800+ in dallas.  demarco murray actually left quite a bit on the table playing behind a very good o line