Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning is a true man of letters, the handwritten kind - Great story

bayone

Peyton hand writes letters to players after they retire , ones he played against even if he didnt know them well

Courtsey & posted with permission of bayareabronco

( http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/user/7210-bayareabronco/  ))   who sent me it

Top 1/4 to 1/3  Excerpt of article

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Peyton Manning has had dozens of signature moments in his football career that the outside world didn't witness.

Since childhood, Manning has jotted handwritten thank-you notes, and for years he has maintained a tradition of sending them to various NFL players retiring from the game.

"I don't know who qualifies for a letter, necessarily," Manning said. "It's probably just somebody I played against for a long time. I don't have to know you real well. The other guys on my list now, I've got [baltimore center] Matt Birk, [Green Bay receiver] Donald Driver, and [Tampa Bay cornerback]Ronde Barber; guys who played the game the right way."

(Manning spoke to The Times before Chicago linebacker Brian Urlacher had announced his decision to retire.)

Former All-Pro safety John Lynch said he treasures the letter he got from Manning upon his retirement in 2008.

"I was so touched that the very first letter I got when I retired was from Peyton," Lynch said. "It was a handwritten note that meant more than the gift ever was. He sent a case full of Silver Oak. It meant so much to me because of the respect I have for him. I still don't drink it, so there's a case of Silver Oak in my wine cellar to this day from him."

http://http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-peyton-manning-letters-20130528,0,7724227.story

Thanks for posting Barry . . . I think it is great that Peyton writes letters to retirees . . . and drafting the letters by hand is a really nice touch . . .

Yup, even the great Tedy Bruschi, my favorite Patriots player, said he was really touched by Manning's extra gesture of respect & admiration. Peyton did it for Titans QB Steve McNair too & Brian Urlacher's is coming soon down the pike as well. Yehoodi. I wish more athlete's would do this across the league & across sports genres too. 

Nobody handwrites anything anymore unless you are signing a loan document for a house, a car, or sympathy card for a friend Yehoodi. Sad, but true I'm afraid these days. 

As they say, the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree.   Peyton was blessed with two wonderful parents, who have instilled so many great qualities in him.    Such a wonderful family.

Thanks for posting, Barry.

Also, usually a handwritten letter is very complementary in nature. Typically, if people want to say something unflattering or derogatory in scope to someone, they do that face to face or over the phone. They seldom pull out special stationary & fountain pens for that one. Although, I guess there is a 1st time for everything right?  haha Just Kidding! 

Nothing says I really don't like you like floral bordered paper & a fancy ball point pen. I could so see my dad doing this just to be funny.  :lol:  :funny:  lmao Only Teasing or am I? You haven't met my father yet.  ;)  :thmup:

Okay, out of respect for Peyton & my friend Barry, I do appreciate this heartfelt post & I apologize for anyone who was offended by my dark humor. . [Dark humor is who I am & what defines me.]

I feel like I'm walking on egg shells today & I really don't wanna be accused of flipping the apple cart over. I like this blog & I have no intention of derailing it or ruining it. Sorry...I'll shut up now...

Nice Job Barry!  :td:  :disco:

Okay, out of respect for Peyton & my friend Barry, I do appreciate this heartfelt post & I apologize for anyone who was offended by my dark humor. . [Dark humor is who I am & what defines me.]

I feel like I'm walking on egg shells today & I really don't wanna be accused of flipping the apple cart over. I like this blog & I have no intention of derailing it or ruining it. Sorry...I'll shut up now...

Nice Job Barry!  :td:  :disco:

i didnt see anything off that u wrote, maybe its just to early in AM

All post deserve likes

I would not know what to do if I received a hand written letter. :lol:

Peyton is definitely a stand up guy.

Cute & very original Thewholefnshow28!  haha Sometimes, deciphering a person's cursive writing is more difficult than it initially appears to be. L's, S's, & R's are hard to tell apart sometimes. Knowing Peyton, he probably has perfect penmanship.  :thmup:

I always kid my Dr. friends that their signatures are intentionally legibly poor in a deliberate attempt to avoid getting sued...I never signed that patient's prescription...Just Kidding Barry! ;)  

Cute & very original Thewholefnshow28!  haha Sometimes, deciphering a person's cursive writing is more difficult than it initially appears to be. L's, S's, & R's are hard to tell apart sometimes. Knowing Peyton, he probably has perfect penmanship.  :thmup:

I always kid my Dr. friends that their signatures are intentionally legibly poor in a deliberate attempt to avoid getting sued...I never signed that patient's prescription...Just Kidding Barry! ;)  

with my disability , no joke, when i do have to write a check may have to do 5 tries before legible to use

u should see me filling out new medical forms for mom, i make many blank copies 1st as never know how many attempts it will take, took 2.5 hrs Sunday for 4 pages and most of it was 1 word answers & checks , no #'s save for age & birthday & few others and when asked things like what meds and medical & surgical history etc, that was about 5  items / sections  all I had to do was write see list as these I have saved separately and just copy & attach for both of us

If i had too actually fill out /   write all it would be an endless endevor