Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian Implies Unitas Couldn't Run Colts Offense

bayone

Trying to stir up trouble? :)

As a Unitas fan, I would actually take it as the highest compliment. He is saying that NOBODY could walk in off the street and in a few weeks recreate what Peyton can do. He just substituted the name "Unitas" for "Nobody" for emphasis. The implication is that Unitas is the greatest quarterback he can think of (not named Manning) and even HE couldn't do it.

Of more interest in that article was Reggie's hilarious comment regarding Peyton's boring exercise session: "(He's) walking it off." :applause:

Wow... that was a well thought out response... well done

lol, no kidding.

Unitas would prolly struggle in it. They didn't us the same kind of finesse on the offensive side of the ball as we do today back then. It's be like putting someone from the 50's behind a computer and telling them to fix it. It's just not something they would be used to.

Well he's not lying if thats what your implying, its not like Albert Einstein would be able to run a laptop either much less a smartphone.

Never said he was a liar, he is just stressing how bad we are at QB when he implies that even unitas cant help, of course different eras , played differently, and there have been enough arguments on threads already on who is best Colt QB of all time, just find it significant to stress the point of where we are that he used Unitas to make the point of any QB he could of picked to use

Trying to stir up trouble? :)

As a Unitas fan, I would actually take it as the highest compliment. He is saying that NOBODY could walk in off the street and in a few weeks recreate what Peyton can do. He just substituted the name "Unitas" for "Nobody" for emphasis. The implication is that Unitas is the greatest quarterback he can think of (not named Manning) and even HE couldn't do it.

Of more interest in that article was Reggie's hilarious comment regarding Peyton's boring exercise session: "(He's) walking it off." :applause:

agree on both counts, that was great , he's just walking it off

Irsay just likes to read himself tweet. He really shouldn't disrespect Johnny U like that. From what I've heard from the old heads, Unitas was doing Peyton before Peyton. P-Money just took it all to another level. IMO, Unitas in his prime could definitly do a fine job directing this offense but he would do it in his own way.

I don't see why it's so controversial that Unitas wouldn't be able to run the offense that Manning does. No player in NFL history has done what Manning does. Yes, Unitas is one of the greatest of all time, and a revolutionary, but Manning is running a style of offense you likely won't see another player do for a very long time.

Polian is essentially saying Manning is irreplaceable, and I think that's a very fair, realistic point.

Irsay just likes to read himself tweet. He really shouldn't disrespect Johnny U like that. From what I've heard from the old heads, Unitas was doing Peyton before Peyton. P-Money just took it all to another level. IMO, Unitas in his prime could definitly do a fine job directing this offense but he would do it in his own way.

Where did you see Irsay's name mentioned at all in the thread?? Jim Irsay is a HUGE Johnny U fan. Polian said it, and the fact is he is right.. nobody could run this offense with 2 weeks of preparation..

Didnt Unitas call all his own plays...

...and he basically told the coaches not to concern themselves

with what plays are being called..that was his job?

yes , even when coaches said above all dont do this he still did what he wanted anyway & usually worked. He would study for hours on end with ray berry and they had the Manning Harrison Communication with a look

BEST EXAMPLE WAS IN GREATEST GAME EVER PLAYED This is from a Johnny U Book, called Johnny Unitas Amereicas QB, with forwards by Peyton & Art Donovan

afdter studying y tons of film, & not on the Giants but in general there was a situation they never saw in a defensive DB alignment to prevent a sideline pass and keep the clock going

Well in that final tying drive's start there it was for the first time ever that coverage as Giants Knew with little time a sideline pass would be done, Berry looked at Unitas and Unitas at Berry and each wondered if the other remembered what they discussed one time in the past

The play started and instead of Beery going for the sidelines he ended up slanting across the middle just in time to catch Unitas's pass that was headed that way in stride and got YAC and the march down the field was history

If I remember correctly, Unitas helped pioneered the 2min no huddle offense. True story. I think it was actually during the Championship game against the Giants(before the merger). If I remember correctly.

It was see my answer above when it was first done & play that stated it on tying drive in thec 58 game, also beat them in 590 for the championship

What I dont understand is if it takes time to learn the system then what has Painter been doing? Are the colts saying that Collins would know more in a month than Painter in 2 years? I dont get the argument. I keep hearing the organization talk about learning the offense, not about ablility. They are saying Collins with ZERO knowledge is better than somone that has learned the offense but yet say the reason they are not effective is becuase of lack of knowledge.

What I dont understand is if it takes time to learn the system then what has Painter been doing? Are the colts saying that Collins would know more in a month than Painter in 2 years? I dont get the argument. I keep hearing the organization talk about learning the offense, not about ablility. They are saying Collins with ZERO knowledge is better than somone that has learned the offense but yet say the reason they are not effective is becuase of lack of knowledge.

I haven't heard anyone suggest that Collins knows more than Painter. With Painter it isn't about knowledge, it's about execution (as in: many people on this forum would like to see him executed). I like the guy and think he has FAR more upside than Collins, but I was still in favor of bringing in a proven veteran for whom the game might move a little slower. The idea was to hold the fort until Peyton returns, not invest the season in watching a "rookie" try to get comfortable.

Painter knows the system, but until this training camp he's had virtually no opportunity to practice with the first string (and many of the skill players weren't active for those preseason games either). So the fact that he's been here for three years only gives him so-much of a leg up over Collins. Never-the-less if he had played in the first two pre-season games the way that he played against Green Bay (after Collins was signed), Collins might not even be here.

But Collins is here, and he was brought in cold pretty late in training camp. Peyton is famous for endless repetition with his receivers. By the time they get on the field, they have to be in lock-step about where the ball is going to be thrown. Look what happened last year with the repeated miss-communications between Peyton and Blair White. They were learning on the fly. Well now Collins has to learn on the fly with the entire squad.

Of course if he continues to make this volume of mistakes, the Colts continue to lose, and/or Peyton is ruled out for the year - than there will be a point where using Collins any further will just be a waste of time. It would be better at than point to go ahead and let Painter get his feet wet. What would there be to lose?

That's odd, according to many Colt insiders, the Colts' offense is actually very simple, they're just timing routes.

In other words, the routes themselves are simple; the WRs and the QBs just have to be on the same page in terms of timing.

Thats what I have always heard untill this year by the so called TV experts

I just hope Collins sticks to his promise of "I will work my butt off" becuase I think I may have seen him change maybe a handful of plays at the line of scrimmage. Its the difference between just running a play that has been called and "getting into a play" that Peyton would do based on what the D would give him. A huge difference. I guess I dont understand why the "getting into a play" was not tought to Painter?

I think Manning has a greater command of his options and a greater grasp of his receivers routes and habits..

..Remember Saturday saying that Peyton doesn't even call signals..they just use a personal code..

Painter does everything slower and that's why he gets blown up..Its not his fault.

Collins probably makes decisions faster...than Curtis but much slower than Peyton.

Manning can check down to his 3rd and 4th option ..and decide in a split second yes or no

and make the throw....

That's why he didnt throw to Wayne against Revis..last season in the playoffs

He went through his checks and Revis wasn't open and he checked down to some one who was

Not everybody can do that that fast.

Thats what I have always heard untill this year by the so called TV experts

The point that's being made that yes, routes are "simple". A wide receiver can only run a finite number of routes. But you have to understand where Manning is in relation to any other qb in the game. I've seen a number of really fine articles explaining just how much he is processing before every single snap.

Yes, Unitas had great skills, and is definitely one of the best, but the position he played is very different from what Manning is doing on every single play.

The point that's being made that yes, routes are "simple". A wide receiver can only run a finite number of routes. But you have to understand where Manning is in relation to any other qb in the game. I've seen a number of really fine articles explaining just how much he is processing before every single snap.

Yes, Unitas had great skills, and is definitely one of the best, but the position he played is very different from what Manning is doing on every single play.

in no way am I trying to diminish all Peyton does prior to the snap and going through progressions so fast, if he didnt he be sacked way way more with the OL, esp last year

yes , even when coaches said above all dont do this he still did what he wanted anyway & usually worked. He would study for hours on end with ray berry and they had the Manning Harrison Communication with a look

BEST EXAMPLE WAS IN GREATEST GAME EVER PLAYED This is from a Johnny U Book, called Johnny Unitas Amereicas QB, with forwards by Peyton & Art Donovan

afdter studying y tons of film, & not on the Giants but in general there was a situation they never saw in a defensive DB alignment to prevent a sideline pass and keep the clock going

Well in that final tying drive's start there it was for the first time ever that coverage as Giants Knew with little time a sideline pass would be done, Berry looked at Unitas and Unitas at Berry and each wondered if the other remembered what they discussed one time in the past

The play started and instead of Beery going for the sidelines he ended up slanting across the middle just in time to catch Unitas's pass that was headed that way in stride and got YAC and the march down the field was history

I remember Unitas in his late playing years..he was still good

...and I think with today's defensive rules...he'd have been unstoppable..in his prime

I dont even think Peyton Manning would let anybody say he's better than Johnny Unitas..

Peyton knows NFL History...