Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Candidates to replace Chapman's spot from other teams' PS

chad72

Marcus Forston - 6'1", 301 (Pats PS, he went to the U)

Alameda Ta'amu - 6'3", 348 (Steelers PS)

Rob Callaway - 6'5", 312 lbs (Cowboys PS)

Chigbo Anunoby - we know him :) (Redskins PS)

Jordan Miller - 6'2", 315 lbs (Packers PS)

Hebron Fangupo - 6'1", 323 lbs (Seahawks PS)

Thoughts on any of these???

Since the replacement is really for Moala at DE (Chapman hasn't played anyway), I'd guess they don't add a NT. Just my two cents. Although DL depth does become a concern. Any chance Freeney goes to DL, Hughes starts opposite Mathis, and we see another position added?

We're thin (no pun intended) at both spots with Fili and Chapman on IR. But we probably have less talent at NT.

We're thin (no pun intended) at both spots with Fili and Chapman on IR. But we probably have less talent at NT.

Agreed, I'm just thinking the rotation at NT doesn't change with Chapman's injury, since he was never in it. But you are right, the DL now needs the body in all likelihood.

I'd go with Marcus Forston for two reasons: 1) he's a 3-4 DE with a lot of athletic ability, and we've put two DEs on the IR in the last couple of weeks, and 2) I'd like the Colts to steal him from the Pats right when the Pats are getting low on DEs. Since we get a roster spot from Moala and Chapman, I'd probably also re-sign either Chigbo or Nick Jean-Baptiste.

I'd go with Marcus Forston for two reasons: 1) he's a 3-4 DE with a lot of athletic ability, and we've put two DEs on the IR in the last couple of weeks, and 2) I'd like the Colts to steal him from the Pats right when the Pats are getting low on DEs. Since we get a roster spot from Moala and Chapman, I'd probably also re-sign either Chigbo or Nick Jean-Baptiste.

Not bad.

Here is what I would consider after giving it some thought and not rushing an answer:

I would use multiple formations like we do now 4-3, 3-4 and 5-2

4-3 alignment would be this

RE-Freeney

DT-Anunoby

DT-Ta'amu (If he proves to have his head on straight which I doubt)

LE-Mathis

olb's

Conner-He was an OLB in college so he is familiar with that position

Hughes

ILB-Freeman, Fokou-better run stuffer and heavy hitter then Angerer

3-4

DE-Redding

NT-Johnson/Tevasue rotate

DE-Not sure maybe Guy

OLB's

Mathis

Hughes

ILB's

Freeman

Fokou

5-2

DE-Redding

DT-Ta'amu

NT-Antonio Johnson/Tevasue

DT-Anunoby

DE-Matthews/Lawrence/Geathers

LB's-Freeman, Fokou

Thats all if we picked Anunoby up and Ta'amu combined with Moala and Chapman being injured

Did anyone watch Washington Huskies football games while Ta'amu was playing? That defense, and run D in particular, was horrific. Or wonder how a fourth round draft pick never gets on the field? Or are concerned about 14 criminal counts and a likely guilty plea coming? I get it's hard to find reasonably athletic 350 pound men who have played 3-4 NT. But I've never understood the love for Ta'amu. Or Baptiste for that matter. They were the anchors of some of the worst defenses in all of BCS football. And Baptiste is a FA, and Ta'amu nearly was too, as he cleared waivers to get to the Steelers PS.