Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Kalil says Panthers to win super bowl

StewieG

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/carolina-panthers-center-ryan-kalil-buys-full-page-143233253--nfl.html

Why the
will win Super Bowl XLVII.

Because we have to.

For eighteen years we've wanted, hoped, and tried...

But no more.

A moment is upon us, where dreams become beliefs and yearning becomes conviction.

How do I know?

Because I've seen it.

Look closely and you'll see it, too. You'll see July 1st, 1993, when 40,000 of you bought club seats, licenses, and luxury boxes financing the construction of our stadium in a single day.

You'll see October of that same year, when the NFL owners unanimously selected Carolina as the league's 29th franchise.

You'll see two decades offseasons bad and good. But never of greatness.

Now, look closer.

At the daunting, unpaved path ahead, lined with detours, naysayers and walls which seem insurmountable. But not for you. You'll ignore what you hear and break through ANYTHING that stands in your way. Because you see what's at the end of this.

Victory.

One hundred percent, sterling silver victory. The Lombardi Trophy, And it exists.

CAROLINA PANTHERS -- SUPER BOWL XLVII CHAMPIONS!

Sincerely,

Ryan Kalil

So, thoughts?

I like his confidence. But with the NFC being crowded with at least 10 teams that can make the SB, IMO, the Panthers have way too tough a road in the strong NFC. Not to mention, they are changing to a 3-4 D from a 4-3 (that is what I heard Ron Rivera is doing), and will have growing pains and that will involve Cam Newton in shootouts. Too tough a division to win, too tough a conference to overcome at this point. Let us see if Cam suffers any sophomore jinxes.

Nothing wrong with believing it, They have talent on that team, if Cam doesnt have a let down year maybe they will be fighting for a playoff spot(Not likely, they are still a few pieces away, they traded one of there best O Linemen)and once you get into the playoffs as we all know anything goes, dont believe me then just ask the Saints

I like his confidence. But with the NFC being crowded with at least 10 teams that can make the SB, IMO, the Panthers have way too tough a road in the strong NFC. Not to mention, they are changing to a 3-4 D from a 4-3 (that is what I heard Ron Rivera is doing), and will have growing pains and that will involve Cam Newton in shootouts. Too tough a division to win, too tough a conference to overcome at this point. Let us see if Cam suffers any sophomore jinxes.

Yeah his confidence doesn't bother me one bit. EVERY player on every team should feel/ hope for the same as him.

But that said the NFC has some amazing teams. I agree 100% with ya.

The best they'll get this year is a wild card, and that's only if the Saints don't snag it when the Falcons when the NFC South. Newton is good but he's not nearly mature enough to handle a Super Bowl run...not yet.

Off the top of my head....Giants, Cowboys, Eagles, Saints, Falcons, Packers, Bears, Lions, 49ers, and Seahawks are all better then Carolina. Big-Head Newton will have a sophomore slump, and the Panthers get a high draft pick next year.

I was with ya until ya said Seahawks

Yeah his confidence doesn't bother me one bit. EVERY player on every team should feel/ hope for the same as him.

But that said the NFC has some amazing teams. I agree 100% with ya.

Truly confident people dont tell you what they're going to do...they just do it..

He needs to tell, his teammates that, not blow it in the wind..

Nothing wrong with believing it, They have talent on that team, if Cam doesnt have a let down year maybe they will be fighting for a playoff spot(Not likely, they are still a few pieces away, they traded one of there best O Linemen)and once you get into the playoffs as we all know anything goes, dont believe me then just ask the Saints

Gavin,

To me, QB Cam Newton must prove to me that he won't isolate himself on the bench alone and pout with a towel around his head when plays breakdown and losses result. Texas RB Aaron Foster must prove this lesson to me too. But, to Cam's credit, he has acknowledged this problem and he is attempting to fix it and I do respect that. I hope Foster tries to follow suit here as well.

You are 100% correct though. Writing down lofty goals for yourself does inspire team mates to raise their own game and expectations up. It how chemistry gets built and remains sustained IMO. Carolina definitely has talent on that roster and on that coaching staff.

I like the confidence, but I highly doubt they'll ever win a SB with Newton as their qb.

Why do you say they will never win with him as their qb?

If he keeps up what he did last year and keeps getting better, he has a shot of winning a super bowl like any other good quarterback.

It's good to be confident, but you've gotta be realistic too. Until they fix that defense, they won't even with their own division
what do u want him to say? Yes I think we can win but it's too tough. Too many good teams. Take the Colts for ex. They had to play a perfect 2nd half cause they were getting their butts handed to them on a silver platter by the best team at the time,the Pats. Colts came back & won the game & the SB. Personally I believe it'll be at least 3-5 yrs before the Panthers have a decent shot at the SB. Even Herm Edwards said u want the other 52 men thinking the same thing. All 32 teams think that but realistically only about 6-8 teams that have a decent shot at the trophy Edited by 21isSuperman

Gavin,

To me, QB Cam Newton must prove to me that he won't isolate himself on the bench alone and pout with a towel around his head when plays breakdown and losses result. Texas RB Aaron Foster must prove this lesson to me too. But, to Cam's credit, he has acknowledged this problem and he is attempting to fix it and I do respect that. I hope Foster tries to follow suit here as well.

You are 100% correct though. Writing down lofty goals for yourself does inspire team mates to raise their own game and expectations up. It how chemistry gets built and remains sustained IMO. Carolina definitely has talent on that roster and on that coaching staff.

Personally when you put up stats like Newton did and Arian Foster did and your team still loses in the end (with exception of last years Texans team) that would be frustrating as all heck I equate it to what Peyton must have felt like not having a solid consistent defense despite putting up high numbers, I'd be frustrated to, I'd be mor evocal about it though (for the record I am not comparing Peytons career long success to Newtons one year even if it was the best rookie year for a Quarterback all time it still was just one year, but you get my point, when your as good as both were (Peyton and Cam) and your team either gets only so far or stinks altogether (which many a year ours did but Peyton wa sthere to carry us) then your going to get frustrated, they key is to learn from it, Getting frustrated and showing it is alright but how you show it is the key, towel on head scenario isn't the way

Whatever happened to just shutting up

Yes, there is something to be said for remaining silent and under the radar that's true Joker. Just ask former Eagles QB now backup Buffalo QB Vince Young right? Or Jets HC Rex Ryan for that matter. Greatness needs no self promotion. Quiet confidence does have it's place.

It depends who says it...an established, well respected veteran or a pre-Madonna attention junkie. At least, Ryan Kalil attached his name to the bold prediction. Have the courage of your conviction and Kalil certainly did. I admire that.

Why do you say they will never win with him as their qb?

If he keeps up what he did last year and keeps getting better, he has a shot of winning a super bowl like any other good quarterback.

I dont think Cam is a good qb or ever will be one. Some guys have it and some dont. Just my opinion, but I dont see that championship caliber qb in him. I see it in Stafford, Ryan, but not in many other qbs.

Personally when you put up stats like Newton did and Arian Foster did and your team still loses in the end (with exception of last years Texans team) that would be frustrating as all heck I equate it to what Peyton must have felt like not having a solid consistent defense despite putting up high numbers, I'd be frustrated to, I'd be mor evocal about it though (for the record I am not comparing Peytons career long success to Newtons one year even if it was the best rookie year for a Quarterback all time it still was just one year, but you get my point, when your as good as both were (Peyton and Cam) and your team either gets only so far or stinks altogether (which many a year ours did but Peyton wa sthere to carry us) then your going to get frustrated, they key is to learn from it, Getting frustrated and showing it is alright but how you show it is the key, towel on head scenario isn't the way

Well said Gavin. I love passion on the sidelines and I hate to lose, but channeling that frustration in the right direction is essential to turning the tide I agree 100%. Show your team mates what your weaknesses are in your game are and how you are trying to remedy them and then they are more receptive to constructive criticism themselves. Both Cam Newton and Aaron Foster are incredibly talented they will jump the immaturity hurdle in short order IMO.

I dont think Cam is a good qb or ever will be one. Some guys have it and some dont. Just my opinion, but I dont see that championship caliber qb in him. I see it in Stafford, Ryan, but not in many other qbs.

The guy broke a rookie record with passing yards and scored 14 rushing touchdowns as a Quarterback, besides teams win super bowls not one player

The guy broke a rookie record with passing yards and scored 14 rushing touchdowns as a Quarterback, besides teams win super bowls not one player

Last year's defenses suffered horribly from the lockout, and the numbers really have to be taken with a grain of salt. After the first two games, Newton's numbers were slightly below average. And I dont believe qbs like Newton or Vick who need to run to score are capable of winning a sb. Until I see one do it, I dont believe they can win it all. And while teams do win SBs, I think that the strong majority of these teams in the future will only win because they have a championship caliber qb. I dont think we'll see many more carries of Brady (in his early years), Johnson, Dilfer, Rookie Ben, Young Eli in the future. You'll need to be a Championship caliber qb to win the SB in most cases going forward imo. Cam isnt ever going to be one of those qbs.

I understand what you mean, but I think Cam will one day be good enough to win one. He has all the talent in the world, and it sure helps to have Steve Smith out there as a receiver too.

You cant 'see' an NFL title in a QB......its not the QB that wins divisions and playoff games

There's just to many moving parts ijn football for one player to get credit or blame for wins and losses..

75% of starting QBs could win Super Bowls with the right team

You cant 'see' an NFL title in a QB......its not the QB that wins divisions and playoff games

There's just to many moving parts ijn football for one player to get credit or blame for wins and losses..

75% of starting QBs could win Super Bowls with the right team

]

Obviously you can't physically see it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Some guys are champions and some aren't. Every qb that has won it since 2003 I thought had that championship caliber in him (although at the time they won, not all of them have performed at a championship caliber level). In the future, might there be the occasional Dilfer carry again? Yeah, there could be. But most of the time, I'd bet that the team that wins has a qb who is championship caliber. Qbs should get credit and blame for wins and losses. Not all of it, but they play a huge part in determining the outcome of the game. I see maybe 10-12 qbs in the league right now (not considering luck, griffin, etc.) who are capable of winning the sb this year, the next, and after that.

There's a reason only 6 active qbs have that shiny ring.

I understand what you mean, but I think Cam will one day be good enough to win one. He has all the talent in the world, and it sure helps to have Steve Smith out there as a receiver too.

Maybe one day he could. But I agree with you that he does have all the talent in the world. And I amend what I said about Cam not being a good qb now or ever will be one. I think he could be a good qb one day, just not a championship caliber one. But that's why they play the game :)

And yes Smith does help haha.