Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This is good for a laugh

21isSuperman

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that is a bit foolish but I do see him using that thin air to his advantage.

Gassing the Defense with the no-huddle.

Yeah, I can see him taking full advantage of that too. But to say he went there because the thin air will let him throw for more yards is a ridiculous notion

Also I would like to say told you so, to anyone that was doubting the fact that after the blockage was removed, Peyton would return to full health. So many people saying 'he's gonna come back and break his neck, and I'll laugh.' Learn a little about anatomy before you start talking crap about my guy.

^^^Not directed at anyone specifically, just the general populus that talks too much.

Im sure if Peyton had a chance to pad his stats he woul. Its not like Manning had alot of chances to do that with the defenses he had to play with, I also dont see what the problem is with Brees or Brady doing that either, its up to the defense to stop that thats how the game is played, its not up to Brees or Brady to say, ok you guys are embarrassed enough, for example that laughable game the Saints put on us, it was because they wanted to run up the score, they had no reason that we know of to do that. Our defense just looked like they quit in that game at least

I was expecting to be infuriated by the video based on the comments, but I think the fantasy stats reference was tongue in cheek - he was doing a fantasy segment and threw it out there as an extra line. His point was that Peyton may have chosen Denver because he felt like he could be more effective there. I've thought to myself that it might have been part of the appeal - but there is no justification for saying that any given thing was "the" reason.

All in all just a perfect example of why it's pointless to look for football coverage this time of year. Lots of hours to fill, absolutely nothing to talk about.

http://www.nfl.com/v..._content_stream

The doctor does a good job explaining the medical side, but to claim that Peyton went to Denver because the thin air will allow him to throw for more yards and pad his stats is ridiculous

To be honest I did not take that from the video . . . I think the Dr was just explaining on how PM's neck was fully repaired and the only question being how the nerve and triceps are effected . . . and the Dr. then opined the latter might effect his ability to through the long ball and as such he might want to be an environment that would be friendly to be able to thrown long, that being, in the Dr opinion, the thin air of Denver . . .

so I took it as not PM trying to pad his stats as more as the Dr. saying PM choose Denver so he could more easily throw the long ball (which btw does not necessary translate to padded stats) . . .

Yeah Peyton's always been a stat-padder like Brees and Brady. :scratch:

given that PM played in a dome with many #1 draft picks and racked up many 4000 yards seasons, I am not so sure you want to be making this claim . . . glass houses remember . . . unless of coarse you are being serious which i doubt . . .

given that PM played in a dome with many #1 draft picks and racked up many 4000 yards seasons, I am not so sure you want to be making this claim . . . glass houses remember . . . unless of coarse you are being serious which i doubt . . .

I'm pretty sure every team gets the same amount of #1 draft picks every year no? Whether the Colts wanted to use theirs on Anthony Gonzalez or the Pats using theirs on Logan Mankins is irrelevent.

The fact is, New England chases records and keeps Tom Brady in up by 49 points, New Orleans keeps Drew Brees in up by 49 points, Indy lets their foot off the gas at half time if they're up 28. Yeah Peyton had a lot of 4,000 yard seasons, what's your point? He didn't get them by smacking the crap out of teams when they were already beaten. The thing is though, I don't fault Breesus or Tommy Boy for padding their numbers....I'd do the same thing. There are no Lombardi's handed out for class, nor are there for stats....but at least the guys in the stat books hold records.

I'm pretty sure every team gets the same amount of #1 draft picks every year no? Whether the Colts wanted to use theirs on Anthony Gonzalez or the Pats using theirs on Logan Mankins is irrelevent.

The fact is, New England chases records and keeps Tom Brady in up by 49 points, New Orleans keeps Drew Brees in up by 49 points, Indy lets their foot off the gas at half time if they're up 28. Yeah Peyton had a lot of 4,000 yard seasons, what's your point? He didn't get them by smacking the crap out of teams when they were already beaten. The thing is though, I don't fault Breesus or Tommy Boy for padding their numbers....I'd do the same thing. There are no Lombardi's handed out for class, nor are there for stats....but at least the guys in the stat books hold records.

Um how many times were the Colts up by enough to let there foot off the gas? other then that I agree especially about not letting the foot off the gas just because your up by a ton, thats not how football is played, if fans dont want to watch there team stink up the joint change the channel, thats what I do , now if it gets really bad such as 62-7 I just cant help myself I get a chuckle out of how atrocius we played

I do agree with you regarding Brees and the Saints in that in a few games they left Brees in the game when it was over, specifically the games against the Colt last year and the Pats a few years ago . . . Indeed in the Pats we had our starters on the bench and Brees came back into the game and they ran a 4 min offense to score another TD, that to me is scoring unecessarily and as such could be deemed running up the score . . .

To the contrary the Pats never did this, specifcally never did it 2007, contrary to what some like to surmise or make up . . . in most games the Pats where never up by more than 14-17 into the 4th (contrary to your rendition of the facts) . . . and as we all know, or should know or want to know, a 14-17 point is not safe in this league at the start of the 4th qtr . . . and as such one needs, like what the pats did, to leave in your starters to secure the game . . . the fact that the Pats score a TD on nearly half there possessions meant that most games they score late into the fourth to secure a 14 point leave (i.e. to get it back if the otehr team score) or extended the lead to 21 points to win say 35-14 . . . which looks like a blow out, but was an unsecure score back at 28-14 before teh pats scored . . .

as for a few games in which they where up by more than 14-17 points, they, unlike the above mentioned Saints games, held the ball for long 6-8 minute drives, surely they may have scored on some of them, but a team late in the game holding the ball for 6-8 minutes is not trying to score to run up the score, but to the contrary, trying to shorten the game by lengthing the possession and thereby shortening the number of possession . . .

Indeed there are some out there that complain about the Pats/Wash game and that the pats had Brady in to run up the score . . . interestingly when one looks at the game (without the vain of bias) one will see what I watch that day, and that was an efficient Pats offense that only had TB in the second half for a mere two possessions, the last of which was an 8 min drive that started in the 3rd qtr . . . most teams dont pull there starters in the 3rd . . . but what is more interesting, from a glass house standpoint, is the fact that in 2004, the colts left PM in the games for the same amount of possession overall (with 2 in the 2nd half) in that Thanksgiving game against Detriot . . .

Also too regarding 2004, you will find that the colts had a disproportionate about of passing TDs to rushing TDs, there was a significant drop off in rushing TDs for the colts rushing offense . . . it could be luck, happenstance, play calling, or audiable callings (the last two of which PM was involved, just saying) . ..

so becareful what you throw cause you might damage your own house . . .

Do i think the pats padded more than the colts or vice versa, no, I think both teams about the same, they just play to thier strengths . . . on the contrary, I do think tho that Saints seem to be a team that on more than on occasions acted unnecessarily with their starters resulting in an increase in players stats . .

as for #1s, yes all three guys have first rounders on their teams, some more on offense, some more in Defense . . . but when you have #1s at the skill positions, play in a dome, have a disportionate amount passing TD to rushing TDs in a record year, have a franchise who philosphy is play to your strength, (your QB) and directly surround him with some of your top draft choices, fans of the of the same should be leary of throwing out the "team is supporting their guy in a manner in which he can easily obtain stats" . . . just saying . . .

I do agree with you regarding Brees and the Saints in that in a few games they left Brees in the game when it was over, specifically the games against the Colt last year and the Pats a few years ago . . . Indeed in the Pats we had our starters on the bench and Brees came back into the game and they ran a 4 min offense to score another TD, that to me is scoring unecessarily and as such could be deemed running up the score . . .

To the contrary the Pats never did this, specifcally never did it 2007, contrary to what some like to surmise or make up . . . in most games the Pats where never up by more than 14-17 into the 4th (contrary to your rendition of the facts) . . . and as we all know, or should know or want to know, a 14-17 point is not safe in this league at the start of the 4th qtr . . . and as such one needs, like what the pats did, to leave in your starters to secure the game . . . the fact that the Pats score a TD on nearly half there possessions meant that most games they score late into the fourth to secure a 14 point leave (i.e. to get it back if the otehr team score) or extended the lead to 21 points to win say 35-14 . . . which looks like a blow out, but was an unsecure score back at 28-14 before teh pats scored . . .

as for a few games in which they where up by more than 14-17 points, they, unlike the above mentioned Saints games, held the ball for long 6-8 minute drives, surely they may have scored on some of them, but a team late in the game holding the ball for 6-8 minutes is not trying to score to run up the score, but to the contrary, trying to shorten the game by lengthing the possession and thereby shortening the number of possession . . .

Indeed there are some out there that complain about the Pats/Wash game and that the pats had Brady in to run up the score . . . interestingly when one looks at the game (without the vain of bias) one will see what I watch that day, and that was an efficient Pats offense that only had TB in the second half for a mere two possessions, the last of which was an 8 min drive that started in the 3rd qtr . . . most teams dont pull there starters in the 3rd . . . but what is more interesting, from a glass house standpoint, is the fact that in 2004, the colts left PM in the games for the same amount of possession overall (with 2 in the 2nd half) in that Thanksgiving game against Detriot . . .

Also too regarding 2004, you will find that the colts had a disproportionate about of passing TDs to rushing TDs, there was a significant drop off in rushing TDs for the colts rushing offense . . . it could be luck, happenstance, play calling, or audiable callings (the last two of which PM was involved, just saying) . ..

Do i think the pats padded more than the colts or vice versa, no, I think both teams about the same, they just play to thier strengths . . . on the contrary, I do think tho that Saints seem to be a team that on more than on occasions acted unnecessarily with their starters resulting in an increase in players stats . .

as for #1s, yes all three guys have first rounders on their teams, some more on offense, some more in Defense . . . but when you have #1s at the skill positions, play in a dome, have a disportionate amount passing TD to rushing TDs in a record year, have a franchise who philosphy is play to your strength, (your QB) and directly surround him with some of your top draft choices, fans of the of the same should be leary of throwing out the "team is supporting their guy in a manner in which he can easily obtain stats" . . . just saying . . .

The Saints ran 15 plays in that 4th quarter out of those 15 plays they ran the ball 10 times the other 5 werent passes, the Saints intercepted a pass from Painter and ran it back for a touchdown. Not the Saints fault the Colts defense quit, the Saints didnt pass the ball in the 4th, Brees didnt play in the 4th quarter. whats the Saints supposed to do? give them a few mercy points?, if we had guys that could do there jobs during that game then they would have actually had some resemblance of an NFL team

Well obviously you aren't going to see it the way the rest of the league's fans do, as you are a Pats fan.....

I seem to recall a game from '07 against the Dolphins, you guys had a huge lead so you pull Brady out. Cassell comes in and throws a pick right away. Your offense gets the ball back, Brady comes back in and throws another TD.

This debate comes up every few months. You know your guys were running up the score. I remember it being brought up in the media a few times. The Saints got it a couple times, but you can't deny the Pats getting it more. I don't even care about the Washington game.....I remember Gibbs saying before the game that someone needs to figure out how to beat those guys, cuz he sure couldn't. They were finished before the game started.

You can argue all you want, but perception is reality, and the perception is, '07 Pats ran up the score on Miami, Buffalo, Washington, etc, then they got a nice dose of karma in the form of David Tyree. Fast forward and you've got '11 Saints running up scores for numbers.....see karmic offseason.

Well obviously you aren't going to see it the way the rest of the league's fans do, as you are a Pats fan.....

I seem to recall a game from '07 against the Dolphins, you guys had a huge lead so you pull Brady out. Cassell comes in and throws a pick right away. Your offense gets the ball back, Brady comes back in and throws another TD.

This debate comes up every few months. You know your guys were running up the score. I remember it being brought up in the media a few times. The Saints got it a couple times, but you can't deny the Pats getting it more. I don't even care about the Washington game.....I remember Gibbs saying before the game that someone needs to figure out how to beat those guys, cuz he sure couldn't. They were finished before the game started.

You can argue all you want, but perception is reality, and the perception is, '07 Pats ran up the score on Miami, Buffalo, Washington, etc, then they got a nice dose of karma in the form of David Tyree. Fast forward and you've got '11 Saints running up scores for numbers.....see karmic offseason.

Brady came back in after the Dolphins scored 3 touchdowns in the 4th quarter because the Dolphins pulled within two touchdowns (since when is being up in the 14 quarter safe at one point?)

Matt Cassel came in at quarterback in the 4th quarter to finish that game vs the Bills when the Patriots got possession at the 10:57 mark of that quarter, if the Bills show up in the 2nd quarter and dont give up 3 touchowns then its a long shot but the Bills still had 2 quarters to close the gap but they didnt show up in the 2nd quarter

Also if the Redskins didnt give up 24 points points by halftime then it would have been a 28-07 game which is far from a blow out and Brady played 1 series in that 4th quarter sure he got a touchdown but if its there whats he supposed to do pass it up? its the NFL. Grown Men play in it if there feelings are hurt because they got embarrassed then do something about it

I don't blame you for defending Brady, and I'm not going to debate you the details about the Patriots "padding stats" because I watch so few of their games (and I have no interest in doing tons of research). But hinting that the Colts are guilty of the same is a bit much. Lets not forget that in 2004 Manning barely played in the final game of the season (a routine occurrence). Jim Sorgi played and threw two TDs in a loss against a team that Manning then lit up in the playoffs. Compare that to 2007 when Brady had 5 TDs in the final two games where he had no need to play at all. How did the Colts handle a similar situation two years later? Many here (and elsewhere) rip the Colts for not trying to go undefeated when they had the chance - but then you could say that the mere act of trying to go undefeated (and breaking the TD record in the process) was an act of padding stats. The games meant nothing.

My personal perception of 2007 in it's entirety was that the Patriots felt that they had something to prove coming off the video controversy, and they had their foot on every opponents jugular from start to finish - every game. I felt that they scored at every opportunity regardless of the circumstances, and saw articles/tv broadcasts criticizing them for same (wasn't there a controversy about them going for it on fourth down - with Brady - late in a blowout - scoring one more time. The way the Pats handled the meaningless games - somethng most Pats fans are likely extremely proud of - was simply true to form. The Colts, on the other hand, have often ended games by running out the clock - even if on the opponents 10 yard line. It's a differing organizational philosophy having little to do with the QBs. For all we know Peyton wanted to run up the score but was told not to. But the actions speak for themselves, and you can't really have it both ways.

The ONLY time I have ever seen the Colts pad stats is in the first quarter of those same meaningless games, where Peyton would occasionally try to get one of his receivers (not himself) to a certain stat level. He was just trying to help out a team-mate, but I would never defend it to anyone. I found it embarrassing and pointless.

Pats vs. Colts, Brady vs. Manning, 2004 &49 vs. 2007 & 50, many are going to have various viewpoints.

I could throw out a list of facts that support the Pro-Manning or Pro Patriots Running up the score, but I'll pass..

Sitting on a 20-10 lead and 47 touchdowns, the Colts take position of the ball at the Ravens 4 with :59 seconds left. The crowd wants a shot at # 48.

Indianapolis Colts at 0:59

1-4-BLT 4 (:59) P.Manning kneels to BLT 5 for -1 yards.

2-5-BLT 5 (:18) P.Manning kneels to BLT 6 for -1 yards

To me that simply sums it up.

Pats vs. Colts, Brady vs. Manning, 2004 &49 vs. 2007 & 50, many are going to have various viewpoints.

I could throw out a list of facts that support the Pro-Manning or Pro Patriots Running up the score, but I'll pass..

Sitting on a 20-10 lead and 47 touchdowns, the Colts take position of the ball at the Ravens 4 with :59 seconds left. The crowd wants a shot at # 48.

I was only 13 at the time so I barely remember that, but I will say that if I were Peyton, I wouldn't of worried about being classy there. That's why I don't really fault Brady or Brees for that, although I am bitter, but the facts are facts.

I was only 13 at the time so I barely remember that, but I will say that if I were Peyton, I wouldn't of worried about being classy there. That's why I don't really fault Brady or Brees for that, although I am bitter, but the facts are facts.

It was never about the record for Peyton. He said many times that year if he can only tie and let it be that will make him the happiest. He never wanted to take down Dan's record. It was his childhood idol. I'm almost certain had we been beating SD the next week, #49 wasn't going to be thrown.

I will say that if I were Peyton, I wouldn't of worried about being classy there. That's why I don't really fault Brady or Brees for that, although I am bitter, but the facts are facts.

I've been proud to root for a team and a player who is "classy". A TD there would have been cheap. Kind of tainted from my perspective.

In baseball, if you steal a base late in a game when you're up by 8 runs, the next batter is going to get a baseball stuck in his ribs, and then a fight is going to break out. Teams sometimes carry irrational hatred like a 12 year old just because someone doesn't know how to act like a professional. There are unspoken rules of sportsmanship, and following them earns you a different kind of respect. Everyone knows that you COULD have scored that TD. The fact that you didn't - out of respect for your opponent - is in my book more impressive (and is certainly more respected) than desperately trying to rub somebody's nose in it.

The problem with these scenarios is that the ones who appreciate it the most are on the other team. It's why the fearsome Ravens defense would only talk about looking forward to upcoming chess matches with Peyton, not hinting that they were going to try to break him in two. I doubt that they are as friendly before playing the Steelers. Too many fans are only looking at the highlights on sports center which often tell you very little about what went on in a game. More TD = better to those who aren't actually paying attention.

It was never about the record for Peyton. He said many times that year if he can only tie and let it be that will make him the happiest. He never wanted to take down Dan's record. It was his childhood idol. I'm almost certain had we been beating SD the next week, #49 wasn't going to be thrown.

Which reminds me that the Chargers game included a tremendous comeback. The record TD required a two-point conversion, but the crowd didn't seem to care, you got the impression that they wanted the game stopped for some kind of celebration. Peyton was just running around like a madman trying to setup the next play. Talk about having your priorities wrong, I felt embarrassed sitting at home. "Do you not realize that the team is still behind? The TD was thrown in an attempt to WIN the GAME, not to set a record. Records are things that just happen along the way.

http://www.nfl.com/v..._content_stream

The doctor does a good job explaining the medical side, but to claim that Peyton went to Denver because the thin air will allow him to throw for more yards and pad his stats is ridiculous

Are we sure that this lame Denver thin air excuse by this physician isn't just an elaborate scheme to create doubt in people's minds about Peyton's arm strength and performance level this season? Just call this medical expert Dr. Wabble too. Yes, Peyton's triceps, muscle mass, and endurance level is still a work in progress, but even at 80-90% of his strength Peyton can still win games and rack up 10-12 victories IMO. With Peyton it is all about pre snap defensive reads and secondary manipulation. #18 will be just fine in my estimation even if his arm never fully recovers. The question, I have always maintained, is how well he takes sustained hits over an entire season.

I would have went for more lol

Are we sure that this lame Denver thin air excuse by this physician isn't just an elaborate scheme to create doubt in people's minds about Peyton's arm strength and performance level this season? Just call this medical expert Dr. Wabble too. Yes, Peyton's triceps, muscle mass, and endurance level is still a work in progress, but even at 80-90% of his strength Peyton can still win games and rack up 10-12 victories IMO. With Peyton it is all about pre snap defensive reads and secondary manipulation. #18 will be just fine in my estimation even if his arm never fully recovers. The question, I have always maintained, is how well he takes sustained hits over an entire season.

I'd be concerned about the hits because of his age, not so worried about his neck (other than concerns that adjacent levels might deteriorate quicker than they should because of the fusion. I'd certainly vote for as few hits as possible.)

Regarding arm strength: I think that worse case scenario, diminished strength would only reduce him to playing at the level of a Joe Montana :P. He could have an entire second career.

Doctor did say his neck is as good as anyone else's.

The neck isnt the question for me, the question for me is this, if that arm is likely never to return to 100 percent again then what are the odds of it being much less then what it would be if he wasnt going to be taking hits. which obviously he will be taking hits and will take an occassional sack as it is only natural for any Quarterback to take some sacks

Look Peytonator, it's simple really. It's the defense's job to stop the offense plain and simple. In 2007, the Patriots were an unstoppable scoring machine. If other NFL squads can't keep them out of the endzone, that isn't New England's fault. I don't like seeing any team get their butt kicked unless it's Dallas; Then, all bets are off and go crush them, but hey, that's just me I guess.

I would have liked to see more substitutions on the part of NE when victory was easily within their grasp too, but again the defense has an obligation to stop them not just moan and groan because they were soundly defeated by NE. It may be perceived by some as poor sportsmanship but in reality it merely highlights the chemistry a team will employ effectively to get to the Playoffs and make a SB run.

One could make an equal argument that if Asante Samuel had picked off Eli Manning and won the 2007 SB that would have been a karmic experience as well. Showing how NY Giants HC Tom Coughlin failed to keep his team focused and he probably would have been fired with a SB loss. Naturally, I wanted Eli and Big Blue to win of course, but NE isn't the evil empire or dark NFL franchise here. I like Yehoodi's commentary on the Colts squad and other football squads because he is looking at our organization from the outside in not the inside out. A fresh set of eyes and a new perspective is always a good thing.

I respect you too Peytonator, but don't miss the forest for the trees my friend. Distance can be very beneficial once in awhile.