Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Observations from early 2013 Mock Drafts

Looking ahead to next years draft, some pundits and fortune tellers already have 1-3 round mocks available for 2013. I've noticed 2 things so far.

Draft Mockers don't think the Colts will be the worst team this year.

Opposing Views, CBS Sports both have the Colts picking at 11 or 12 in the first round. Others have the Colts picking at 6-9. I realize that a couple years ago, it was just assumed the Colts would always pick anywhere from 26-32. After last year and the criticism the team has taken, it's nice to see some optimistic views outside of our board.

Consistent picks from different sources.

Jarvis Jones (OLB - Georgia) and Keenan Allen (WR - Cal) are the two players I've seen picked the most in recent mock drafts. Either one of these guys would be awesome to have. Other noteable picks that aren't as repeated : Jackson Jeffcoat, David Amerson, Robert Woods, Barrett Jones

Out of the players listed, who would you NOT like to see on the team as the Colts Round 1 pick next year?

For me, I think the mock drafts have nailed down the positions of need. DE, WR, CB, OT, and OLB (if Freeney is gone next year).I'd be happy with any of these picks as long as we weren't reaching. BPA all day.

I've seen a variety of mocks, some even have us picking #1 again and they have us taking Robert Woods. I think we will pick in the top 10 and I'm hoping Amerson falls to us. I don't think we need to go WR early because I think, like Peyton, Luck will make the receivers around him much better. Depending on how Hughes and Fugger do, we might not need to go OLB with our first pick. CB, to me, is our biggest need.

I've seen a variety of mocks, some even have us picking #1 again and they have us taking Robert Woods. I think we will pick in the top 10 and I'm hoping Amerson falls to us. I don't think we need to go WR early because I think, like Peyton, Luck will make the receivers around him much better. Depending on how Hughes and Fugger do, we might not need to go OLB with our first pick. CB, to me, is our biggest need.

I'm not a fan of going after and reaching for needs. The only thing I question about Amerson is the talent level that he's playing against...not exactly elite offenses in the ACC. But there is no denying his ability.

That's not exactly a good measure, plenty of good defenders come out of Miami and FSU. It's not exactly the IVY league. I mean look at the QB we just drafted, the PAC -12 doesn't exactly play good defense. If he's a good player it should translate anywhere.

That's not exactly a good measure, plenty of good defenders come out of Miami and FSU. It's not exactly the IVY league. I mean look at the QB we just drafted, the PAC -12 doesn't exactly play good defense. If he's a good player it should translate anywhere.

The next time NC State or anyone else from ACC makes it to a premier college bowl game after taking on teams like Oregon, USC, Notre Dame, Cal or any other team with some credibility, let me know. I wouldn't go comparing PAC-12 teams that play tough SEC competition to bottom feeders of the ACC.

Again, I like Amerson. But I don't think he plays against tough teams. There are players out there in the draft, who have just as much, if not more success at their respective positions who play in tougher conferences. That's all i'm saying. CB is not a premier position in a 3-4, so I have my reserves. There are a lot of factors that play in. Out of the aforementioned players, I'd prioritize my top 5 based off of talent/production...not need. I wouldn't be sad if any of these guys were picked for our 1st round choice next year.

1. Robert Woods

2. David Amerson

3. Jarvis Jones

4. Jackson Jeffcoat

5. Barrett Jones

Seen Star Lotulelei's name mentioned a few times.

Yeah, I've seen him on one. Don't really understand the pick. He would have made sense if we stuck to the 4-3. He's not a zero tech NT. Doesn't really command a double team. I guess he could be moved to DE. But if they think they can use him...BPA.

Yeah, I've seen him on one. Don't really understand the pick. He would have made sense if we stuck to the 4-3. He's not a zero tech NT. Doesn't really command a double team. I guess he could be moved to DE. But if they think they can use him...BPA.

When I've seen it mentioned, it's saying that he could be our Ngata.

The next time NC State or anyone else from ACC makes it to a premier college bowl game after taking on teams like Oregon, USC, Notre Dame, Cal or any other team with some credibility, let me know. I wouldn't go comparing PAC-12 teams that play tough SEC competition to bottom feeders of the ACC.

Did you just call Notre Dame a team with credibility? Lol, didn't they just get beat in their crappy bowl game by an ACC team? I don't care if a dude played at Slippery Rock as long as he dominated the guy across from him every time. Good players come from bad programs all the time. Mario Williams was an NC State guy too.

Yeah. That's definitely possible. Another prospect to consider for sure. Plus we need more Angry Samoans/Tongans to join Satele and Moala.

:D It's a long established fact that you can improve your team just by filling it with big angry Samoans and Tongans. I wouldn't mind someone like Star for the D-line because at the moment, our D-line seems to be "er he can kind of play NT, he might be able to go as a 3-4 DE... we'll find out this season" rather than having established 3-4 players (aside from McKinney and Chapman).

Did you just call Notre Dame a team with credibility? Lol, didn't they just get beat in their crappy bowl game by an ACC team? I don't care if a dude played at Slippery Rock as long as he dominated the guy across from him every time. Good players come from bad programs all the time. Mario Williams was an NC State guy too.

Do you know how hard it was for me to say that Notre Dame had some credibility as a Purdue fan? This is in reference to your Andrew Luck comment. ND has a good Defense. I said it.

Again...good players can come from bad teams. Mario Williams vs an O-line and sack QB's is different from Amerson intercepting a pass 20 feet short of the intended receiver. I just watched a highlight video, and the toughest competition might have been Clemson. Two highlights of him intercepting Liberty...yee haw.

Again...I know...he's good. I get it. I just think his competition makes him look really good throwing floaters away from the target. To his credit, he's like 6'3" and can play jump ball vs receivers...my biggest question is : is he a corner or a safety? I think teams might have him play safety in the NFL.

:D It's a long established fact that you can improve your team just by filling it with big angry Samoans and Tongans. I wouldn't mind someone like Star for the D-line because at the moment, our D-line seems to be "er he can kind of play NT, he might be able to go as a 3-4 DE... we'll find out this season" rather than having established 3-4 players (aside from McKinney and Chapman).

I think Chapman and Redding are solid 3-4 guys that will start of us. I don't think Moala is the best guy for the RE job. That's where Star would come in.

Do you know how hard it was for me to say that Notre Dame had some credibility as a Purdue fan? This is in reference to your Andrew Luck comment. ND has a good Defense. I said it.

Again...good players can come from bad teams. Mario Williams vs an O-line and sack QB's is different from Amerson intercepting a pass 20 feet short of the intended receiver. I just watched a highlight video, and the toughest competition might have been Clemson. Two highlights of him intercepting Liberty...yee haw.

Again...I know...he's good. I get it. I just think his competition makes him look really good throwing floaters away from the target. To his credit, he's like 6'3" and can play jump ball vs receivers...my biggest question is : is he a corner or a safety? I think teams might have him play safety in the NFL.

That's fair enough, I haven't watched the kid yet, so I wouldn't know. I just think it might be unfair to pigeonhole someone based on the conference they play in. The Big Ten doesn't really have dynamic offenses, the SEC doesn't have stellar QB play top to bottom. My whole argument is that if you can play, you can play.

That being said, I know absolutely nothing about the Amerson kid in question, only that he has the measurables and some hype.

That's fair enough, I haven't watched the kid yet, so I wouldn't know. I just think it might be unfair to pigeonhole someone based on the conference they play in. The Big Ten doesn't really have dynamic offenses, the SEC doesn't have stellar QB play top to bottom. My whole argument is that if you can play, you can play.

That being said, I know absolutely nothing about the Amerson kid in question, only that he has the measurables and some hype.

I know what you're saying. Just watch his videos. There is a mix of tough INT's and "holy cow what an awful throw" INT's. He jumps everytime no matter what I believe so it looks impressive lol.

I think Chapman and Redding are solid 3-4 guys that will start of us. I don't think Moala is the best guy for the RE job. That's where Star would come in.

I meant to say Redding but forgot to type it! Very happy with him as a run stuffing DE

if we was to draft Amerson then he would facing many guys who went to these teams that are not considered great teams in college or that went against elite teams

Miami of Ohio-Ben Roethlisberger

Matt Hasselbeck-Boston College

Matt Schaub-Virgina

Blaine Gabbert-Missuori

Philip River-NC State

All of which were 1st round picks except for Hasselbeck-6th and Schaub-3rd none of them played on teams that were considered great or elite yet they got picked because of there skill not because of who they played it should be the same with Corner

if we was to draft Amerson then he would facing many guys who went to these teams that are not considered great teams in college or that went against elite teams

Miami of Ohio-Ben Roethlisberger

Matt Hasselbeck-Boston College

Matt Schaub-Virgina

Blaine Gabbert-Missuori

Philip River-NC State

All of which were 1st round picks except for Hasselbeck-6th and Schaub-3rd none of them played on teams that were considered great or elite yet they got picked because of there skill not because of who they played it should be the same with Corner

Those are all QB examples. It's a totally different argument. Not even close to being the same thing. And Blaine Gabbert shouldn't be mentioned in any argument that is trying to make a case for players from bad teams (Mizzou was a pretty good team by the way) who did well in the NFL.

Its the same thing, those teams didnt have to play other elite teams either regardless if its quarterback, Corner or any other position but,

Asante Samuel-Central Florida

Champ Bailey didnt even attend college

Tracey Porter-Indiana

Cortland Finnegan-Samford

Ronde Barber-Virginia

Aqib Talib-Kansas (we are talking skill and being tested here not his off field troubles)

Its the same thing, those teams didnt have to play other elite teams either regardless if its quarterback, Corner or any other position but,

Asante Samuel-Central Florida

Champ Bailey didnt even attend college

Tracey Porter-Indiana

Cortland Finnegan-Samford

Ronde Barber-Virginia

Aqib Talib-Kansas (we are talking skill and being tested here not his off field troubles)

Gavin....

I don't know who you were thinking of, but Champ Bailey went to Georgia and was drafted 7th overall the year he came out. An absolute stud in college.

Here's his Wiki bio:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champ_Bailey#College_career

I agree that Peyton made receivers look better than they were and Luck may do the same thing but think of what Luck could do with a star receiver. Peyton had Marvin and set the league on fire. After that he made Reggie and others look good but he did have Marvin. If Luck got a star receiver like Woods or the the guy from Cal, our offense would be very dangerous. One of those recievers paired with the guys we drafted this year would provide a great stable of receivers similar to the Packers and Giants.

We should keep in mind the cap space we will have next year (40 Mil or so) and the free agents we will sighn. We could very well adress 2 or three of our big needs with our signings. So I think we really have wait and see how that plays out before we really even know what way we should or could go in the Draft. We could very well with the amount of money we have sighn 2-3 high quality players. Guys Like Revis, DRC, *James Laurinaitis* Conner Barwin, Cliff Avrill. I would love Myabe Larinaitis and maybe DRC then maybe a saftey depending on Zib does. With n ext years draft and free agency we should be able reload our defense and put the finishing touches on our offense. Its gonna be really fun.