Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Under Pressure

Dtman513

As I am sure a lot of people will. With that said there is still going to be pressure on Luck which is what I was getting at.

I agree with that but, I will ask you this, how many of those people that put that pressure on Luck wish Manning was back and this would all go away? quite a bit I'd say

I agree with that but, I will ask you this, how many of those people that put that pressure on Luck wish Manning was back and this would all go away? quite a bit I'd say

I don't disagree with that but that's not really the point. Again like I said, right, wrong, or fair it's there. That's all I was getting at. You don't replace a guy like Peyton Manning and don't have pressure on you.

I happen to like Luck and have said before while I am not happy getting him cost us Peyton Manning if I had to pick one rookie QB in recent memory to be the guy to replace Manning it would have been Luck. I am sure I am not the only person who feels that way.

I think it's Satele. He is not only replacing a Colt legend who was an extension of Manning, but he is suppose to become that for Luck in the next era of Colts football. He, for better or worse, will be very influential on the beginning of Luck's career..

Wow 54 whole catches!!!!!!!!!!!! And I already know he wasn't injured, I have been told that several times (and already knew that). I'm saying he has to prove that when he is given the ball consistently, he can stay upright. I'm not saying he's like Gonzo, I'm saying he has to prove that to me! You can all act like I said he is a terrible player and get all defensive, but that's my opinion.

I'm not acting like you said anything, but when you say he caught 12 passes last season, I think it should be noted that he caught four and a half times more than that. And didn't get hurt. He just played an entire season without incident, and he was a significant part of the terrible offense, accounting for about 18% of our pass completions. It's not like we kept him under glass. So I don't know for how long we're going to hold this whole concussion thing over him.

I'm not acting like you said anything, but when you say he caught 12 passes last season, I think it should be noted that he caught four and a half times more than that. And didn't get hurt. He just played an entire season without incident, and he was a significant part of the terrible offense, accounting for about 18% of our pass completions. It's not like we kept him under glass. So I don't know for how long we're going to hold this whole concussion thing over him.

This is already over. You're entitled to your opinion.

It's a contract year, he's 32 years old, and he's taking on additional responsibilities. If he doesn't play well, it will be glaringly obvious. I think he has millions of dollars on the line right now.

He can be a total flop at OLB and still get a very nice contract next year on a 4-3 team. Reggie White made quite an impact as a 32 year old DE.

He can be a total flop at OLB and still get a very nice contract next year on a 4-3 team. Reggie White made quite an impact as a 32 year old DE.

Perhaps. But I think it would cost him a lot of money. A "very nice contract" to some is a lowball offer to others. If Freeney were a free agent this season, he probably would have gotten somewhere around four years, $55 million. If he flops this season, I don't think he'll get that kind of money.

Perhaps. But I think it would cost him a lot of money. A "very nice contract" to some is a lowball offer to others. If Freeney were a free agent this season, he probably would have gotten somewhere around four years, $55 million. If he flops this season, I don't think he'll get that kind of money.

My point is, his play as a LB will not impact his worth as a DE

My point is, his play as a LB will not impact his worth as a DE

If he plays out the year and looks "okay" at OLB, then it increases his value due to being able to play okay in the 2nd scheme.

If he plays out the year and looks "Bad" at OLB, then I would agree that his value might drop a bit at DE, though that it shouldn't unless it looks like he lost a step. I'm not sure he'd be getting a 4@55 at this point anyway, even if he were cut today and a free agent.

I'd like to add, that if early on it looks like he's going to be stud in the 3-4, then the front office will be more than foolish if they do not attempt to roll that 14 million into some form of a signing bonus to get him extended.

Paying him 14 million with a 19 million cap hit is obscene and letting him play it out and then signing him to an extension after the season would be completely foolish.

I'd like to add, that if early on it looks like he's going to be stud in the 3-4, then the front office will be more than foolish if they do not attempt to roll that 14 million into some form of a signing bonus to get him extended.

Paying him 14 million with a 19 million cap hit is obscene and letting him play it out and then signing him to an extension after the season would be completely foolish.

Not if he doesn't work out at his new poistion. If they extend him now and he doesn't work out at OLB then we would be stuck with the contract. If he works out we can always franchise tag him if we need to to get a new deal done. There aren't really any free agents out there right now for us to go after that are worth anywhere close to what we are paying Freeney.

It's not a horrible thing. It's not the best thing in the world but it's not something that is going to hurt for us for years to come or anything.

Not if he doesn't work out at his new poistion. If they extend him now and he doesn't work out at OLB then we would be stuck with the contract. If he works out we can always franchise tag him if we need to to get a new deal done. There aren't really any free agents out there right now for us to go after that are worth anywhere close to what we are paying Freeney.

It's not a horrible thing. It's not the best thing in the world but it's not something that is going to hurt for us for years to come or anything.

I did preempt the message with "I'd like to add, that if early on it looks like he's going to be stud in the 3-4"

I did preempt the message with "I'd like to add, that if early on it looks like he's going to be stud in the 3-4"

Still remains to be seen. We wont honestly know till he plays a game.

With that said rather he's a stud or not the Colts can make this work regardless of his current contract. They don't have many major free agents next season other than maybe Powers. Powers will not be worth the franchise tag. So the Colts can always tag Freeney if they have to. Who knows maybe if we get good early returns in terms of how Freeney plays at OLB they might extend him then. Extending players in the middle of the season isn't completely unheard of.

Still remains to be seen. We wont honestly know till he plays a game.

With that said rather he's a stud or not the Colts can make this work regardless of his current contract. They don't have many major free agents next season other than maybe Powers. Powers will not be worth the franchise tag. So the Colts can always tag Freeney if they have to. Who knows maybe if we get good early returns in terms of how Freeney plays at OLB they might extend him then. Extending players in the middle of the season isn't completely unheard of.

Yes it remains to be seen, but that was what I meant by early on(early in the season)..

While they have the cap room to pay him and let him walk, one could argue that would be a waste of money. Especially consdidering any $ saved this year can be pushed in to the future.

Tagging Freeney next year would be 120% of 19million.. insert #'s crunching sound here = 22.8 Not worth it. Especially after paying him 14 this year. Which is why if he's adapting well to the new scheme, then you re-up with him so part of that 14 can be used as a signing bonus.

If he plays out the year and looks "okay" at OLB, then it increases his value due to being able to play okay in the 2nd scheme.

If he plays out the year and looks "Bad" at OLB, then I would agree that his value might drop a bit at DE, though that it shouldn't unless it looks like he lost a step. I'm not sure he'd be getting a 4@55 at this point anyway, even if he were cut today and a free agent.

Four years at $55 million might be a little high, but I don't think by much, judging by what other defensive ends are getting these days. Julius Peppers got $91 million at 30 years old.

Four years at $55 million might be a little high, but I don't think by much, judging by what other defensive ends are getting these days. Julius Peppers got $91 million at 30 years old.

You may be right.. 4 @ 55 just seems high to me.

The panthers messed up by paying Peppers the franchise tag(16million) and then letting him walk for nothing.

Yes it remains to be seen, but that was what I meant by early on(early in the season)..

While they have the cap room to pay him and let him walk, one could argue that would be a waste of money. Especially consdidering any $ saved this year can be pushed in to the future.

Tagging Freeney next year would be 120% of 19million.. insert #'s crunching sound here = 22.8 Not worth it. Especially after paying him 14 this year. Which is why if he's adapting well to the new scheme, then you re-up with him so part of that 14 can be used as a signing bonus.

I know this question doesnt apply to freeney, because of his large cap hit this year. What if a guy has played as a DE his whole career, the team switches to a 3-4 and makes him an OLB. If he were to be tagged, would he be tagged as a DE or an OLB. Isnt there a large difference in pay from the top 5 OLB and top 5 at DE.

I know this question doesnt apply to freeney, because of his large cap hit this year. What if a guy has played as a DE his whole career, the team switches to a 3-4 and makes him an OLB. If he were to be tagged, would he be tagged as a DE or an OLB. Isnt there a large difference in pay from the top 5 OLB and top 5 at DE.

Terrell Suggs had a similar situation a few years ago. They tagged him as a linebacker, and he challenged and said he played the majority of his snaps at end. I don't remember how they determined his value after that, and I don't know how the tag would apply in your scenario.

That would be something that the NFLPA, NFL, team and player would have to decide like they did with Suggs in 2008.

Agent: Suggs, team reach compromise on franchise tag

Deal on hybrid position needs league, union OK

Ravens

May 14, 2008|By Jamison Hensley | Jamison Hensley,SUN REPORTER

The Ravens and Terrell Suggs avoided a grievance by essentially creating a new position, Suggs' agent confirmed last night.

The sides reached an agreement on a one-year franchise tag tender worth close to $8.5 million, which will pay him as a hybrid defensive end-linebacker.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2008-05-14/sports/0805140251_1_suggs-tag-ravens

From wiki

On February 19, 2008, the Ravens placed the franchise tag on Suggs. He initially filed a grievance because the team had designated him as a LB with the franchise tag rather than a DE, which resulted in a monetary difference of about $800,000. Despite being unhappy with the franchise tag, Suggs reported to off-season mini-camps to practice with the team. On May 13, 2008, he reached an agreement with the team to split the difference in the franchise tag amounts of a LB and a DE and drop his grievance.

Like you said, with Freeney his # is higher than OLB or DE, so it wouldn't matter, it would be the 120% of the 19 million cap hit this season.