Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

IMO this team is in much worse shape than what is being spun by management or believed by fans.....

ColtAndOrioles

7 hours ago, Stephen said:

He would have a winning record had Andrew luck not retired

Ifs and Buts.   Take away that year, and even the next.   What’s his record?  

Again, I like Ballard.  I think he’s very good in a lot of aspects.  But at the end of the day, you are your record.  You are your success, or lack there of.  

I think AR could be the answer, but I’m not sold yet.  If he can get through the rest of the season, I’m all in with him.  Allen took a while to develop, and he played more in college.  

Still, that defensive scheme has to be addressed.  

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Ifs and Buts.   Take away that year, and even the next.   What’s his record?  

Again, I like Ballard.  I think he’s very good in a lot of aspects.  But at the end of the day, you are your record.  You are your success, or lack there of.  

I think AR could be the answer, but I’m not sold yet.  If he can get through the rest of the season, I’m all in with him.  Allen took a while to develop, and he played more in college.  

Still, that defensive scheme has to be addressed.  

I agree a bout defensive  scheme. Ar just needs to stay healthy. If he does that I think we will see big improvement  next year.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AKB said:

you ask for honesty. here is my opinion of the roster without considering past seasons. just strictly looking at this roster. 

QB - A project, 2nd year QB, who missed his entire rookie season. And who is again injured, basically in his rookie season 2.0 We likely either see one of two the ings. He starts protecting himself, or he's out of the league faster than Luck.

Flacco - is the QB we would've probably gone with if we couldn't get a young, rookie. Why do I say this? Becuase he did it for half a decade. 

RB - I wouldn't take a single back over Taylor outside of McCaffery. When you consider his recent injuries and unavailability as of late, there could be an argument for other backs like Kenneth Walker, or Barkley. With that being said, a healthy Taylor is a top-tier weapon. 

Offensive Line - despite the injuries to our starting center and RG, who by the way happened to be a7th  rounder steal, we still have a top 10, and arguably top 5 line (most rankings have the colts line rated as top 5), I want to see more out of Tucker, I have my worries about him long term. But even with that being said, We have very promising depth Between Bortolini, Gonclaves, and Freeland. I have never been more confident in our line, and this is certainly our best group since Castonazo retired. Berni is rated as the 3rd best TACKLE, not just LT, but tackle right now. The story is on X if you want to confirm. Then he followed it up and grabbed a swing tackle in freeland also in the third round. I am very confident in this offensive line. 

WR - probably our best group since Regg, hilton, and crief. not much explanation here. Pittman is a DOG. undeniable enforcer at WR1, we have our slot assassin, and our WR2 deep threat is leading our team in yards. We have our W 1- 3. AD I don't like him personally, due to his reluctance to catch certain balls, and his taking plays off mentality. I do believe this is something that reggie will eventually get to stop. If I had to pick a WR for the next 6 years, I'm taking all 3 of our other WRs over him. With that being said, we are talking about WR4 here. What a luxury. And don't forget dulin, who is capable in a pinch, and is a ST ace gunner. 

TE - I think the room is crowded with averageness. I think Mallory and Ogletree are the future there, but Cox did just have a good game. I would like to see a reduction in quantity and an improvement of quality at this position. I think Mallory is at least good enough to be a serviceable TE2, with a ceiling to develop into an average TE1, I think Ogletree will replace Cox. 

Defense

Corner is trash. next.

Dline - I said it before the season started, we desperately need a young promising DT. Both Grove and Buck are on the other side of their football careers, and as soon as one of them goes down it looks ugly. worst rushing defense essentially. I like 95, but he just isn't big enough in certain run scenarios. We had a plethora of ends and quickly dwindled after losing lewis and Ebukam. I think going into the season, it was the most loaded we've been at the position. I think we need another 3rd-5rh rounder at the position, but I am also okay with him finding FA budget talent since we primarily have our guys between dayo, PAYE, and Latu. 

Linebacker - I am actually pretty negative on this position overall. I think that a lot of the stat stuffing games that Z or Speed have is really due to our abysmal run defense. I think they both lack turnover ability, and I want to upgrade this position with an impact player. No doubt about it. Carlies shows promise. I'd rather see him on some downs compared to speed. Although EJ brings energy, he often doesn't quite wrap up when running downhill. 

Safety - we need true free safety, but Blackmon has been good. Cross proved everyone wrong, and we have our SS for the future. 

Doesn't sound like a description of a disaster like the OP has tried and failed to paint. I agree with this take pretty much although I think Jones is getting somewhat better. I like what Womack looks like so far, but that's not the future. Probably need to move on from JuJu as well. Definitely could stand some moves at CB.

12 hours ago, DavePSL said:

Hard to argue with what is being said. I would add that it is almost laughable that Ballard has probably drafted 40 to 50 players for this defense and still has hit on a total of ONE difference maker and he had to retire early. You could draft from a magazine and probably hit on more than 1 difference maker when you select that many players over 8 years. This defense is bad after 8 years and every single player and coach is who Ballard wanted. Sucks, cause I wanna believe but I know what I'm seeing and it aint good.

For a guy who got praised here for his drafting ability and college talent evaluation, Ballard has a poor record of drafting defense.  In fact, his best players were drafted by someone else.

Best LB.  Leonard, probably the D's best player at times.  A hit by Ballard, but gone now partly because of size impacting longevity.

Second best LB:  Do we have one?  It may be Anthony Walker, who wasn't retained but replaced by Franklin. 

Best DT, Buckner.  Not drafted by Ballard

Second Best DT:  Darnell Autry/Grover Stewart:  Autry wasn't drafted by Ballard.  Grover runs hot and cold.

Best EDGE rusher:  Justin Houston, not drafted by Ballard

Second best EDGE:  Do we have one?  Paye?  Lewis maybe second best, and he isn't even an edge, so its kinda sad that your perennial stop gap swing DT/DE is in the mix for second best edge rusher.  Ebukam, not drafted by Ballard.

Best Corner:  Gilmore, not drafted by Ballard.  Moore, not drafted by Ballard.

Second best Corner:  Womack, a friggin waiver wire pick up for Gawd's sakes.  Rogers, released for personal reasons.  RYS, traded for an incomplete EDGE who is gone.

Best Safety:  Do we have one...ever?  Seriously, for a 43 zone defense where safety play is critical, there has never been a talented safety that is also a good fit for the D, not at the level it needs.  8 years of JAGS at 43 zone safety...weird.

Can Jones, Brents, and Cross elevate Corner and S play to where it needs to be?  Lets hope.

Saleh ran the same basic defense for the Jets.  Its not scheme.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

Can we all (most of us) agree that the Offense is very talented and could be top 5 if AR develops?

And that the defense is bottom 5, and it doesn’t appear they want to do much about it?

Yep, OL picks and WR picks are coming along great. But D, Ballard should be looking towards free agency more because by the time delayed gratification comes, he can’t keep all his draft picks. Okereke is someone I’d like to have back.

His defensive draft picks have been very spotty, and so have his choices for D scheme and coaches. 

Every other team has won the division at least TWICE in Ballard’s 8 years. Like Parcells used to say “you are what your record says”. No dancing around that. 

• Thanks 1

Ballard might have some nice pieces, but you will probably have to bring in someone else to take those pieces and push them to the next level.  Ballard's method will keep you perpetually average.

15 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Every other team has won the division at least TWICE in Ballard’s 8 years.

HOU has done it with two different teams.  Success, tear down, and success again.  Did JAX and TEN have basically the same team that won it twice, or was there a tear down in between for one of them?

• Like 1

It's why the QB position is so important. With proper high level QB play, that average team becomes something great. 

We're 3-3. Yes, we're average. The record shows this. But I'd say that's a far cry from being a "disaster".

Folks, look at the Jags and Titans. Look at all the years of offseason work. All the free agent moves. Have those moves moved the needle in the right direction for those franchises? 

I see the arguments and understand them about the fact that we stood pat, signed our own and are essentially at the same place we were last year. I get the exhaustion from a lack of progress in that regard. To me, it was by design that we are the same team. Irsay signed off on it. 

I truly think that it's about having the right QB, the right head coach and the right kind of stability within an organization. If you don't have those three things, you can make as many free agent moves, trades and pickups as you want. You'll still end up with a poor record. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

It's why the QB position is so important

In 2024, the #1 job/duty of a GM is to find a top level QB.  To date, Ballard has failed at it.  You would rather have a GM who could find a QB but was mediocre elsewhere than the reverse.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

For a guy who got praised here for his drafting ability and college talent evaluation, Ballard has a poor record of drafting defense.  In fact, his best players were drafted by someone else.

Best LB.  Leonard, probably the D's best player at times.  A hit by Ballard, but gone now partly because of size impacting longevity.

Second best LB:  Do we have one?  It may be Anthony Walker, who wasn't retained but replaced by Franklin. 

Best DT, Buckner.  Not drafted by Ballard

Second Best DT:  Darnell Autry/Grover Stewart:  Autry wasn't drafted by Ballard.  Grover runs hot and cold.

Best EDGE rusher:  Justin Houston, not drafted by Ballard

Second best EDGE:  Do we have one?  Paye?  Lewis maybe second best, and he isn't even an edge, so its kinda sad that your perennial stop gap swing DT/DE is in the mix for second best edge rusher.  Ebukam, not drafted by Ballard.

Best Corner:  Gilmore, not drafted by Ballard.  Moore, not drafted by Ballard.

Second best Corner:  Womack, a friggin waiver wire pick up for Gawd's sakes.  Rogers, released for personal reasons.  RYS, traded for an incomplete EDGE who is gone.

Best Safety:  Do we have one...ever?  Seriously, for a 43 zone defense where safety play is critical, there has never been a talented safety that is also a good fit for the D, not at the level it needs.  8 years of JAGS at 43 zone safety...weird.

Can Jones, Brents, and Cross elevate Corner and S play to where it needs to be?  Lets hope.

Saleh ran the same basic defense for the Jets.  Its not scheme.

I will say I can't argue Ballard's defensive picks.  Beyond Leonard and maybe Okereke, haven't seen many studs on D.  I will say Cross has looked decent, but not stud level yet.  Blackmon and Lewis are often hurt. 

He's picked up some decent guys in FA, but that never lasts.  The trade for Buckner was great, but his window is closing I think.  The more I look at it, the scheme may be "OK", but the talent is lacking and the way the scheme is played may have issues.  I think I read the 49ers also have a similar scheme, but they have tons of talent on D.

I think Jones might come around; this is only his second year, so we might be ok at corner.  I'm not happy with our current LBs.

I think to be successful on defense, we need at least one stud on every level, and it doesn't look like we are there yet.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, #12. said:

In 2024, the #1 job/duty of a GM is to find a top level QB.  To date, Ballard has failed at it.  You would rather have a GM who could find a QB but was mediocre elsewhere than the reverse.

For the record, I'm not a Ballard homer/supporter. But as realist... Let's face it, unless something dramatically changes he'll be here for at least another season. 

And, we did that song and dance already as well in terms of Ryan Grigson. Hit on Luck (though it was more Jim's choice than his).

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

HOU has done it with two different teams.  Success, tear down, and success again.  Did JAX and TEN have basically the same team that won it twice, or was there a tear down in between for one of them?

Tear down between - one with Bortles in 2017 and the next with TLaw in 2022 for Jaguars making it at least 2 teams that rebuilt and won their divisions.

• Like 2

Just now, RollerColt said:

For the record, I'm not a Ballard homer/supporter. But as realist... Let's face it, unless something dramatically changes he'll be here for at least another season. 

That's far from certain IMO.

I don't think we are a disaster. We are just like warm water.. meh. Not hot enough to soothe not cold enough to quench. Just there. Will probably finish 9-8 hopefully 10-7 and that'll be it. 

When I really think we suck bad. I just remember we haven't been blown out yet... But we haven't blown anyone out either..

Which brings me back to lukewarm hotdog water 😂

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DavePSL said:

Hard to argue with what is being said. I would add that it is almost laughable that Ballard has probably drafted 40 to 50 players for this defense and still has hit on a total of ONE difference maker and he had to retire early. You could draft from a magazine and probably hit on more than 1 difference maker when you select that many players over 8 years. This defense is bad after 8 years and every single player and coach is who Ballard wanted. Sucks, cause I wanna believe but I know what I'm seeing and it aint good.

How are Franklin and Blackmon not difference makers? Plus, he traded for Buckner. Franklin is a tackling machine much like Leonard and Blackmon was a difference maker against Tennessee.

37 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I will say I can't argue Ballard's defensive picks.  Beyond Leonard and maybe Okereke, haven't seen many studs on D.  I will say Cross has looked decent, but not stud level yet.  Blackmon and Lewis are often hurt. 

He's picked up some decent guys in FA, but that never lasts.  The trade for Buckner was great, but his window is closing I think.  The more I look at it, the scheme may be "OK", but the talent is lacking and the way the scheme is played may have issues.  I think I read the 49ers also have a similar scheme, but they have tons of talent on D.

I think Jones might come around; this is only his second year, so we might be ok at corner.  I'm not happy with our current LBs.

I think to be successful on defense, we need at least one stud on every level, and it doesn't look like we are there yet.  

You might say coaching can improve, but most NFL teams play the same scheme....lines up 43 and plays mostly zone at the back end.  Its not like there are different schemes requiring different players with different talent/skills, and we play some deficient scheme that holds our players back relative to the rest of the NFL.  More blitzes and more aggression, sure, but that also speaks to playcalling.  Playcalling is often a false criticism because no coordinator ever knows what play the other coordinator is going to call, so its never a matter of one coordinator countering a play the other coordinator called.  The play succeeds or is stopped by how the players react to what is going on in front of them.  JMO.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

You might say coaching can improve, but most NFL teams play the same scheme....lines up 43 and plays mostly zone at the back end.  Its not like there are different schemes requiring different players with different talent/skills, and we play some deficient scheme that holds our players back relative to the rest of the NFL.  More blitzes and more aggression, sure, but that also speaks to playcalling.  Playcalling is often a false criticism because no coordinator ever knows what play the other coordinator is going to call, so its never a matter of one coordinator countering a play the other coordinator called.  The play succeeds or is stopped by how the players react to what is going on in front of them.  JMO.

I can agree with a lot of that. It's why positional battles and matchups are so important. 

I do think coaching can help with moving those chess pieces around. We see this in Kansas with Chris Jones. On a crucial down, we'll see him line up against the weakest lineman on the offense. Was that Chris automatically doing that on his own, or is he being told to move there at that specific time? 

“Ballard” is just another term for “stuck in the middle”. We’ll finish somewhere between 7-10 and 9-8, not win the division, not make a WC spot, then we’ll rinse and repeat next year. Maybe one of these years we’ll get lucky and the AFC will let us sneak in at 9-8, but then we’re one and done because this team can’t compete seriously with the top teams in the conference so… yay? 

Sarcastic Season 9 GIF by The Office

Let the apathy commence. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

“Ballard” is just another term for “stuck in the middle”. We’ll finish somewhere between 7-10 and 9-8, not win the division, not make a WC spot, then we’ll rinse and repeat next year. Maybe one of these years we’ll get lucky and the AFC will let us sneak in at 9-8, but then we’re one and done because this team can’t compete seriously with the top teams in the conference so… yay? 

Sarcastic Season 9 GIF by The Office

Let the apathy commence. 

Possibly but there are a lot of teams stuck in the middle, it's called parity. I remember after the Jags won the Division and a playoff game in 2022, 90% of the forum said the Jags will rule this division for years. TLaw is top 5. How did that age?

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Possibly but there are a lot of teams stuck in the middle, it's called parity. I remember after the Jags won the Division and a playoff game in 2022, 90% of the forum said the Jags will rule this division for years. TLaw is top 5. How did that age?

It didn't age well, but unfortunately, the Texans took their spot and are the real deal now by drafted Stroud and being aggressive in FA, and the Colts are remaining stagnant by not making moves and hoping AR hits. It's the same thing as the last few years where a band-aid QB leads us to mediocrity. Unfortunately, now it's because our possible franchise QB is injury-prone.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I guess that's where I fall in the all of this. 

For all the accolades the Titans, Jags and Texans have received for "winning the off seasons" and even winning the division, where are the rings? 

If true success is measured by Super Bowls, then all of the last 18 years of AFC South football (since we won in 2006) has been a complete failure. 

Those teams that our divisional opponents built weren't able to get it done. 

1 minute ago, Yoshinator said:

It didn't age well, but unfortunately, the Texans took their spot and are the real deal now by drafted Stroud and being aggressive in FA, and the Colts are remaining stagnant by not making moves and hoping AR hits. It's the same thing as the last few years where a band-aid QB leads us to mediocrity. Unfortunately, now it's because our possible franchise QB is injury-prone.

Possibly, but I have to see Houston be very good to great for 3 years before I believe they will accomplish anything either. Do you think Houston can beat KC or Baltimore in a playoff situation? I don't so what good does it do just to win the division?

Just now, RollerColt said:

For all the accolades the Titans, Jags and Texans have received for "winning the off seasons" and even winning the division, where are the rings? 

If true success is measured by Super Bowls, then all of the last 18 years of AFC South football (since we won in 2006) has been a complete failure. 

I'm a huge baseball fan, and the Brewers GM was quoted in saying that he wants to get as many bites of the apple as possible (I'm a Braves fan). What he means by this is that you want to make the playoffs every year so you always have a chance at winning a championship. This applies to football as well. The Jags, Texans, and Titans may have not won a SB, but they gave themselves multiple bites of the apple and more than the Colts have since Chris Ballard has been the GM of the Colts. We don't have a chance to win the SB because we don't make the playoffs. Plain and simple.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Possibly, but I have to see Houston be very good to great for 3 years before I believe they will accomplish anything either. Do you think Houston can beat KC or Baltimore in a playoff situation? I don't so what good does it do just to win the division?

Read my post above, it should give a good explanation to what you're asking. I will say maybe 3 or 4 times out of 10 the Texans could beat KC or Balt.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I never bought it. I know what a walking mess tony khan is and I knew that sooner than later the burning return to earth would be inevitable. I’ve also never been a big fan of Lawrence, and what we’ve seen is about what I expected from him at this level. Maybe even a little better than what I expected, in fact. As long as tk is in charge down there, the blind squirrel may find a nut every now and then, but it’s only temporary. 

There is a lot of parity in the league, but the top teams, the ones that make deep playoff runs on the regular, don’t find themselves mired in it. And that in itself is part of the problem. This team under Chris Ballard cannot break through that glass ceiling and become one of those teams. 

We’ve turned into the post-2014 Pacers. Not bad enough to get a good pick and not good enough to actually be good. 

Rinse and repeat. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Since the AFC South was introduced in 2002, we are the only team to win a SB. Houston has never even been to Championship Game. We have been to 2 SB's and 4 Championship Games since 2002. I know, not under Ballard but history is history. Ballard is wearing on me so I defend him less and less as the years go on, but we all know had Luck not retired he would several division Titles and maybe even a SB win.