Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richardson day to day with abdominal, oblique injuries

1959Colts

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would love for him to succeed; he is a 3rd stringer for a reason and was lousy in his starts. Just telling the truth. If he was good, the Colts would have never gone after Minshew or Flacco. 

They keep him around for a reason too.  They seem to want to get backups that they have confidence in to string games together to help win a Division.  They see something in Sam, but they don't seem to want to risk even one game they feel they can't afford to lose just to see what they have.   Not sure why they didn't play him during the 4-12 season, but there may have been some other things going on.

He had thousands of passing yards and high QBRs for three years in college...Division 1 FB...and he can run...and can take a hit...and was a winner.  If you draft him, I think he deserves as much time on the field to prove he stinks as any other young QB.

Like I said, I don't get why they keep him and still not play him.   Or at least have replaced him with another young late round pick by now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Babying him?    How did you arrive at that conclusion?   You don’t think an abdominal strain sounds legit?   

Sure it sounds legit but he’s a young professional athlete not an old athlete like Rodgers.  Young players heal quickly.  He looked and acted like he could have played.  The coaches held him out and with a nice lead I would have too.  But this is a new week.   If he’s a leader of this team he needs to assert himself and act like it and make sure he plays.  He knows everyone is questioning his toughness right now and whether he is injury prone.  He needs to be out there even if he’s sore.  That’s how I see it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Sure it sounds legit but he’s a young professional athlete not an old athlete like Rodgers.  Young players heal quickly.  He looked and acted like he could have played.  The coaches held him out and with a nice lead I would have too.  But this is a new week.   If he’s a leader of this team he needs to assert himself and act like it and make sure he plays.  He knows everyone is questioning his toughness right now and whether he is injury prone.  He needs to be out there even if he’s sore.  That’s how I see it.

All true, that's why he will start.  I have no doubts.  But they won't announce it until before game time.

EDIT:  LOL.  Flacco will start, just saw it.  One of the few prognostications I make on the forum.  And it was wrong.  Its why I don't do it much, LOL. 

EDIT again:  Well there is some confusion.  I'll leave it at that.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DougDew said:

They keep him around for a reason too.  They seem to want to get backups that they have confidence in to string games together to help win a Division.  They see something in Sam, but they don't seem to want to risk even one game they feel they can't afford to lose just to see what they have.   Not sure why they didn't play him during the 4-12 season, but there may have been some other things going on.

He had thousands of passing yards and high QBRs for three years in college...Division 1 FB...and he can run...and can take a hit...and was a winner.  If you draft him, I think he deserves as much time on the field to prove he stinks as any other young QB.

Like I said, I don't get why they keep him and still not play him.   Or at least have replaced him with another young late round pick by now.

This will be his last season here more than likely

On 10/2/2024 at 8:31 AM, DougDew said:

I think you're taking this stuff too seriously. 

I can see where you might think that depending on how you read my previous reply.  But pointing out what I consider to be absurd doesn't mean I'm taking this stuff too seriously.  :) 

Yes, fans question coaching decisions all day long here, especially nonsense stuff like play calling and scheme,

it's nonsense to question playcalling and scheme but reasonable to question medical diagnoses?

I don't see it as questioning doctors at all, as far as diagnosis.  I see it as questioning the coach's decisions to possibly put the priority on winning the very next game.....

I can see this in some cases but definitely not all.

When NFL coaches have been telling fans at their pressers about how long it takes high ankle sprains to heal,

well just for clarity, the discussion here has been about AR and whether he could/would have finished the game had the Colts not had a 17 point lead, not JT's ankle.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would love for him to succeed; he is a 3rd stringer for a reason and was lousy in his starts. Just telling the truth. If he was good, the Colts would have never gone after Minshew or Flacco. 

Why do they even bother keeping him around? Too bad they didn’t keep Bean instead then eh?

10 hours ago, azcolt said:

No kidding on the tough love. AR’s interview today was a disgrace. The leader of the team? Hardly. Maybe he will decide to play Sunday, maybe not. Geezus, we are so screwed with this man-child. The qb has to be the leader and has to be on the field playing through inevitable aches and pains. And the only way to limit those aches and pains is to avoid hits, something this knucklehead doesn’t grasp.

Hopefully, the Colts are planning for a new qb next year. They can’t be loving this situation. 

:facepalm:   what a cute little tantrum

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Thank you Dr. Pallo for your armchair diagnosis.  You need better glasses if this is how you see it. 

whole lot of absurdity in these 2 posts.  well done guys :thmup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, Jason_ said:

I can see where you might think that depending on how you read my previous reply.  But pointing out what I consider to be absurd doesn't mean I'm taking this stuff too seriously.  :) 

it's nonsense to question playcalling and scheme but reasonable to question medical diagnoses?

I can see this in some cases but definitely not all.

well just for clarity, the discussion here has been about AR and whether he could/would have finished the game had the Colts not had a 17 point lead, not JT's ankle.

Again, I don't think anybody is questioning a medical diagnosis....maybe calling it that is the too serious part....they are opining mainly on the trade off of a player starting for the purpose of winning one game and the risk of further aggravation.

Opinions will be subjective on that, and right or wrong on that, in the same manner they opine upon what specific play should be called, what scheme should be employed when (blitz or zone or man), or who we should draft. 

To say that some shouldn't opine on the playing or sitting of a player with an injury we have been told has certain consequences.......is playing doctor, is the same as others who question play calling are playing coach and others opining on personnel are playing GM.  Its what we do on a forum for entertainment.  Its all the same degree of nonsense.

JTs ankle is the same issue, that's why its relevant here.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

FWIW:   The Colts DID use Sam on the 4-12 season.   He started and played in the shutout loss to New England where Frank got fired the next day.   Sam was terrible that day and some if it wasn’t his fault.  As many of us here predicted, Belichick would make Sam’s life miserable because he had done that to young QB’s for 40 years.

And it wasn’t Frank’s fault.  He had been ordered to play Sam.  He wanted to start Matt Ryan.   I know this because Frank shared that at his introductory press conference in Carolina.  That the Colts had taken away his right to name his starting QB.  That was Irsay. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

FWIW:   The Colts DID use Sam on the 4-12 season.   He started and played in the shutout loss to New England where Frank got fired the next day.   Sam was terrible that day and some if it wasn’t his fault.  As many of us here predicted, Belichick would make Sam’s life miserable because he had done that to young QB’s for 40 years.

And it wasn’t Frank’s fault.  He had been ordered to play Sam.  He wanted to start Matt Ryan.   I know this because Frank shared that at his introductory press conference in Carolina.  That the Colts had taken away his right to name his starting QB.  That was Irsay. 

Yeah, I remember he played against NE and he kind of got a raw deal there...being judged forever, sort of, on that one tough game in a tough situation in a tough season.  Thanks for clarifying.  I thought he did okay against the Redskins, which was still a tough season.

Big picture, I don't understand why he hasn't been given the same chances or support that a Huntley or Tyrod Taylor have been given, who are clearly not starting QB (franchise guy) material either yet get PT.  Sam Howell got his chance and showed he is backup material.  Darnold almost played himself out of the league and is playing well this season. 

I guess Ehlinger is incrementally worse just by what he shows in practice, yet has been here for three years.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, I remember he played against NE and he kind of got a raw deal there...being judged forever, sort of, on that one tough game in a tough situation in a tough season.  Thanks for clarifying.  I thought he did okay against the Redskins, which was still a tough season.

Big picture, I don't understand why he hasn't been given the same chances or support that a Huntley or Tyrod Taylor have been given, who are clearly not starting QB (franchise guy) material either yet get PT.  Sam Howell got his chance and showed he is backup material.  Darnold almost played himself out of the league and is playing well this season. 

I guess Ehlinger is incrementally worse just by what he shows in practice, yet has been here for three years.

So, I guess I’d say Sam is a high level QB3, or a low level QB2.   

I think you’re right, Sam did have decent games against Wash and Pitts.   But I don’t think he could’ve had the year that Minshew had last year.   The Colts would not have gone 9-8 with Sam.    JMO. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

IMO, they keep him around because he is a great locker room guy and just good enough to be a Pro + he knows the playbook. I don't like talking negative about any of our players, you know me, but he really isn't even a 2nd stringer. He is like an emergency QB if your 1st and 2nd string go down because he is a Pro.

7 hours ago, Jason_ said:

:facepalm:   what a cute little tantrum

Thank you Dr. Pallo for your armchair diagnosis.  You need better glasses if this is how you see it. 

whole lot of absurdity in these 2 posts.  well done guys :thmup:

A man of mercifully few meaningless words.