Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you see any progress with Richardson?

Smonroe

Just now, richard pallo said:

It’s sad really.  I feel bad for the rest of the team.  We averaged 30 points a game last season with Minschew.  Now we are in the teens.  This offense is easily capable of putting up 30 but is being held back by a developmental quarterback.  All we can do is hope he improves to give the team a chance at more victories.  This is a playoff team with a good quarterback.  We just have to hope he figures it out.

If you listen to players they all have mentioned about having to go through growing growing pains with a young QB. You can hear them in the locker room after Anthony talks yelling we got you or something like that. It’s just part of the procedd. At least he isn’t 25 like will Levis making dumb decisions.

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It’s sad really.  I feel bad for the rest of the team.  We averaged 30 points a game last season with Minschew.  Now we are in the teens.  This offense is easily capable of putting up 30 but is being held back by a developmental quarterback.  All we can do is hope he improves to give the team a chance at more victories.  This is a playoff team with a good quarterback.  We just have to hope he figures it out.

No we didn't, lol. 396 points scored. 17 games played. That's 23.3 ppg. Not even close.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

We have to keep this in perspective that this was one of his worst games w.r.t his mechanics, IMO, that I have seen. You have to average it out over the course of the season where there will be games where his decision making and feet will show him to be more comfortable, just the law of averages.

So, the variability i.e. beta / risk will be higher this season and the goal is that it will be lower by the end of the season and start hitting a good floor next season, at least that is how I am reasoning with it. Jalen Hurts, despite all his sufficient starting prowess in college, still took till Year 3 to show the big jump. AR might be a better athlete than Hurts and bigger arm but Hurts started getting more accurate around Year 3, and they never shied away from Hurts' running game being an active part of the offense. AR's arm, his runs, his accuracy, Steichen's usage, ARE ALL EVOLVING.

The NFLPA limits what they can do at team facilities, which is a big part of these QBs seeking outside help outside the confines of the franchise facilities too for mechanics development/corrections, let us keep that in mind.

I agree.  I thought his mechanics were really bad yesterday.

One thing that is concerning to me is that if you look at Caleb Williams, he started off the game really rough and looked terrible.

But as the game went on he started to improve.  Late in the game, his one TD in the endzone was a very nice tight window throw. He showed very nice touch.

I came away a bit impressed.

I would love it if AR could make a tight window throw like that.  I think it would give fans some hope.

4 minutes ago, ADnum1 said:

One thing that is concerning to me is that if you look at Caleb Williams, he started off the game really rough and looked terrible.

But as the game went on he started to improve.  Late in the game, his one TD in the endzone was a very nice tight window throw.

I would love it if AR could make a tight window throw like that.  I think it would give fans some hope.

I have seen him hit it to Ogletree and Downs, but that was LAST YEAR. It is a game to game league, and just hoping it will all magically come back is still what it is, a HOPE but at least it is based on reality. :) 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Due respect, I just don’t understand posts like this. You think there are Colts fans who hate AR and want to see him fail. What posts say this? Who says this? 

Yes. Yes I do. There are some on here and on other forms of social media that want him to fail so that they're proven correct in their evaluation of him. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

All we can do is hope he improves to give the team a chance at more victories.  This is a playoff team with a good quarterback.  We just have to hope he figures it out.

This is correct.

It's easier to say "Well, everybody has to be patient and give him the time and latitude to fix these deficiencies in his game" than it is to actually....be patient and give him the time and latitude to fix these deficiencies in his game.

What exactly did everybody think that was going to look like...if it wasn't something like what we saw yesterday?

Two things everybody needs to not lose sight of as we pull our hair out watching him play:

1) To this point, he's had the right attitude about it.  There's no guarantee he'll continue having the right attitude.  And it won't help him maintain it if fan sentiment boils over to the point where things just fall apart.  And I very much believe fan sentiment can cause that to happen.

2) There is no quick, easy fix.  And that includes benching AR for Flacco.  Are we a better team with Flacco on the field right now?  Maybe.  Probably.  But is that really in the best interest of the franchise?  I don't think so.  AR needs reps....even if those reps end up costing us winnable games.  Personally, I think they're worth it.  Because Joe Flacco is not a long-term alternative.  There are no ready long-term alternatives....except another swipe at another QB prospect next year in the draft.

So I think everybody just needs to relax as much as possible.  And the coaching staff needs to make the space available for AR to progress....and that means taking as much pressure off his shoulders as possible.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I dont want him to fail so that I'll be right.  Hes had a bad year so far and I commenting about what Ive seen.  I hope he doesnt take years to be ready for the league 

Just to be clear, I’m a big AR supporter and I hope he’s the franchise QB for years to come.  

The reason I started this topic was to ask if others think he’s progressing.   To me, it’s obvious that he doesn’t look as good as he did last year against the Rams.  But I guess the progression (IMHO) should be viewed from game one this season on, taking into account his injury time off.  

A few here have made great points, on both sides of the coin.  Only time is going to tell.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ADnum1 said:

But as the game went on he started to improve.  Late in the game, his one TD in the endzone was a very nice tight window throw. He showed very nice touch.

I didn’t realize it until I read a previous poster but Williams threw for 363 yards 33/57 58% that’s a bit more than a bit impressive to me lol

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Just to be clear, I’m a big AR supporter and I hope he’s the franchise QB for years to come.  

The reason I started this topic was to ask if others think he’s progressing.   To me, it’s obvious that he doesn’t look as good as he did last year against the Rams.  But I guess the progression (IMHO) should be viewed from game one this season on, taking into account his injury time off.  

A few here have made great points, on both sides of the coin.  Only time is going to tell.

I agree 100% with those who say Richardson needs to keep playing and that we should all have expected this would be a developmental year. At the same time, I'm concerned with what we've seen so far this season. Have you ever seen an NFL quarterback who misses short and intermediate targets by as much as Richardson sometimes does - or who is off-target as often? How much that can be improved is a huge question.

As others have said, the way the Colts are using Richardson, he isn't much of a running threat, either. Will Levis outrushed Anthony Richardson 36 yards to 24 yards yesterday. That's a surprise to me. I don't think AR can consistently succeed that way.