Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2024 Preseason Game #1: Broncos @ Colts, August 11th, 1 PM ET

NFLfan

I’m a little more worried about corner than safety in some respects. Flowers didn’t look good out there, if JuJu or Jones gets injured we could be in trouble there. And that’s assuming JuJu and Jones take the next step. At least at safety we have 4 guys we experience in the league.

1 minute ago, Patrick Miller said:

It’s hard to see where any of these scrubs are worth keeping.

I never expect to be blown away by the 4th and 5th string guys. You may see some flashes, but a majority of the guys playing now won't make the final 53. Abraham has looked great, as well as Land.

Just now, Old Man and the COLTS said:

Maybe Bradley is showing the 2023 defense so we can surprise all in the regular season lol

Preseason defenses are typically pretty vanilla, so I wouldn't read much into it.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

No serious injuries.  I’m good.

I would’ve felt better if Anthony Richardson would’ve had a better showing. But I’m glad we came away with nothing serious injury wise.

Good grief how pathetic. Make a stop you scrubs.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Shive said:

I never expect to be blown away by the 4th and 5th string guys. You may see some flashes, but a majority of the guys playing now won't make the final 53. Abraham has looked great, as well as Land.

Preseason defenses are typically pretty vanilla, so I wouldn't read much into it.

I hear you but our vanilla hasn’t been a good vanilla lol

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Before training camp, I figured we would win 9 games. I've adjusted that down to 8. The rest of the league has improved, and I'm not sure the Colts have kept up.

Well, it’s hard to tell after one preseason game, but we do have a lot of talent on offense especially if Richardson pans out .  Bradley and the defense might be our Achilles heel though.

23 minutes ago, PackersNation said:

No, just being honest. 

Is it a problem that I don't like the depth at RB behind JT?

I did not say it was a problem. I asked what you thought of him after what you saw on this game.

21 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I did not say it was a problem. I asked what you thought of him after what you saw on this game.

He had eight carries for 16 yards.

I'd like to see more. At this point I still want the Colts to sign a RB after cuts to 53 on August 27th.

13 hours ago, Old Man and the COLTS said:

I hear you but our vanilla hasn’t been a good vanilla lol

Especially when Bradley defense during the real games are pretty vanilla without much disguises, blitzes, coverage swaps, etc., 

But, what I always wonder about Colts is that this defense is still not completely blown away and picked apart so something is working... Maybe the reason is, some of the players' talent or the way they keep it soft zone not to give up many big plays to opponents? I guess the latter, let's see what they do with defensive line and secondary in games that matter this year.

You are exactly right sir, you have to disguise and mix up the coverages during the course of a game or you will give up the 3rd and longs too often, which we do repeatedly at the worst possible moments. And what is really puzzling for as much soft zone vanilla defense that we play, there are running backs coming free out of the backfield way to often. I'm always asking how can that happen? On Moore's interception yesterday Franklin was way too late getting there. How does that happen? That would have been a huge gain for the broncos had the guy caught it cleanly. Just dialing up another 5-8 blitzes a game would make a big difference. Speed and Moore are excellent blitzers, waiting to see what Carlies can do. Simpson was a solid talker at Auburn, he could have success as a blitzer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Especially when Bradley defense during the real games are pretty vanilla without much disguises, blitzes, coverage swaps, etc., 

But, what I always wonder about Colts is that this defense is still not completely blown away and picked apart so something is working... Maybe the reason is, some of the players' talent or the way they keep it soft zone not to give up many big plays to opponents? I guess the latter, let's see what they do with defensive line and secondary in games that matter this year.

I think talent has a lot to do with it and experience.  Experience is huge imo.  It allows you to react and play fast.  Players still learning can react slower and make wrong decisions.  Eleven talented players have to be on the same page simultaneously.  That’s what makes it work imo.

• Thanks 1

• NFLfan unfeatured and locked this topic