Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training camp 4 pm Aug 4th

34 minutes ago, w87r said:

Is it?

I guess at least you have something to look forward to.

I just don’t get this thought process.  I want the Colts to do well so if the secondary prevents that I am not looking forward to it being bad just so I can rant about a GM on a message board who is never going to see what you said and frankly not care.  Also, saying the secondary isn’t going to be good isn’t exactly going out on a limb.  I think just about everyone here is concerned about the secondary so it’s not really something I’d brag about but that’s me. 

I am also not looking forward to Ballard failing either because that means starting over as a new GM is going to want his own players, own coach and in the recent NFL their own QB.

I want the Colts to be good so based on that I am hoping I am wrong and the secondary is good because that’s good for the Colts.  

Again. I think some are into saying look at me I was right more than seeing the Colts do well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

i don't think anyone on here wants the Colts to fail so they can say haha I was right. look at me. 
i think fans are tired of watching the same process with the same results, and the way they communicate it can be taken differently depending on who reads it. 

ultimately we all want the colts to succeed, and there's a lot to be excited about. but disparaging someone as a fan because of how they communicated their opinion is probably gonna be popular, but not something I agree with. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The bad thing is not doing anything and him still being here in more then a backup roll.

He will be gone, what will it matter at that point. It would be a good thing. I mean actually saying that, it might not be a good thing.  What if we did release him, and he went on to improve elsewhere?

I've seen some Gus(will be next scapegoat) talk in this thread, from posters that have been calling for his head long ago.

I also saw someone mention earlier, might be this thread, might not, but they were asking why Shane would keep Gus.

I think the fact that we set a record in sacks last year went a long way into Gus keeping his job. I know "Pressure pressures" we need more pressure. Not vouching for Gus as I have a lot of issues as do most. I just think in answering that post I saw somewhere above, that is the reason he retained his job.

Wouldn't be surprised, if that job isn't lining up to be Charlie Partridge's next season, if Gus doesn't increase his unpredictability this year.

I'm expecting a great season on both sides of the ball.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, w87r said:

I also saw someone mention earlier, might be this thread, might not, but they were asking why Shane would keep Gus.

*waves hand

It's simple logic. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

To keep a coach, who was 30th in almost every defensive category indicates only a few possible things. 

1.) The team recognizes that the coach needs more talent and is not a result of the system.

2.) This is the system that Ballard drafts for and he views Gus as the best coach to run it. The cover 3 legion of boom and the way he drafts is all connected to this. 

now, on the flip side, we can say haha it's not the player Ballard drafted, oh no! it's Gus and his predictable system...

so why was he kept? because we had some sacks? yeah we had sacks but not in the 4th quarter, yeah we had sacks, but we didn't have a consistent pressure rate, they didn't effect us enough. That came out of bucks mouth, I'm just regurgitating it. 

So I ask. which is it? Is Gus a trash coordinator? or does he not have enough talent. or is it both? 

Also, I don't recall asking for Gus to be fired. I am a fan of the system, I do think he needed to change his late-game strategies, but I don't believe I ever called for him to be fired. ( I did predict him to be next though)

• Like 1

I’m hopeful about the secondary, and I don’t really understand all the negativity.  They haven’t played a game yet, and all we’ve heard is that Blackman is ballin’ and Cross/Thomas haven’t stepped up to claim the FS role.  Not hearing Brents’ name probably means he’s doing well, and none of us should have any doubts about Kenny Moore.  We’re halfway through camp, and there are a lot of good athletes vying for that last CB starter spot - Jones, Flowers, Speed, Simpson, Baker.  The level of panic by some because Ballard didn’t do what was expected is crazy…

• Like 2

Just now, Archer said:

I’m hopeful about the secondary, and I don’t really understand all the negativity.  They haven’t played a game yet, and all we’ve heard is that Blackman is ballin’ and Cross/Thomas haven’t stepped up to claim the FS role.  Not hearing Brents’ name probably means he’s doing well, and none of us should have any doubts about Kenny Moore.  We’re halfway through camp, and there are a lot of good athletes vying for that last CB starter spot - Jones, Flowers, Speed, Simpson, Baker.  The level of panic by some because Ballard didn’t do what was expected is crazy…

the negativity is due to the fact the personnel hasn't changed, there's no encouraging reports from Thomas, Cross, or Jones, and we were 28th-30th in every defensive passing metric...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AKB said:

So I ask. which is it? Is Gus a trash coordinator? or does he not have enough talent. or is it both? 

Also, I don't recall asking for Gus to be fired. I am a fan of the system, I do think he needed to change his late-game strategies, but I don't believe I ever called for him to be fired. 

I'm just talking out loud and answering a question I had saw somewhere earlier. Didn't know it was from you or even in the thread. Just wanted to convey as to why I thought he was retained. Not stating why I wanted him retained, because I would of been fine if they decided to move on. Didn't see it happening with the sack record though and early big injuries and suspensions in the secondary last year

I like our players, not all of them, and that doesn't mean they will pan out, I don't think Gus puts them in the best position to succeed all the time. Now that doesn't mean I don't like the system, just how it is being ran I guess, in some instances.

Gus doesn't even need to change to much up, just be a little more unpredictable(blitzes/bump+run) and it would do wonders. Take some chances, might get beat a couple times, but more than likely, it will pay off more frequently. Needs to be less stubborn too, I know everyone remembers how long it took for him to quit playing Facyson over Rodgers. 

Let's be honest though, I'm sure just about 100% of the posters that post here, have called for Gus to be fired at some point over the last 2 seasons, at least once.

• Like 3

If we can get Flowers from last year we should be ok. Pierce talked a little about Abraham being really good. Thought Cross was best at SS. Might be better to put Blackmon at FS. Cross's best plays in my opinion is when he's been closer to the box.

29 minutes ago, w87r said:

I'm just talking out loud and answering a question I had saw somewhere earlier. Didn't know it was from you or even in the thread. Just wanted to convey as to why I thought he was retained. Not stating why I wanted him retained, because I would of been fine if they decided to move on. Didn't see it happening with the sack record though and early big injuries and suspensions in the secondary last year

I like our players, not all of them, and that doesn't mean they will pan out, I don't think Gus puts them in the best position to succeed all the time. Now that doesn't mean I don't like the system, just how it is being ran I guess, in some instances.

Gus doesn't even need to change to much up, just be a little more unpredictable(blitzes/bump+run) and it would do wonders. Take some chances, might get beat a couple times, but more than likely, it will pay off more frequently. Needs to be less stubborn too, I know everyone remembers how long it took for him to quit playing Facyson over Rodgers. 

Let's be honest though, I'm sure just about 100% of the posters that post here, have called for Gus to be fired at some point over the last 2 seasons, at least once.

i honestly don't think i've asked for him to be fired. the last coach I asked to be fired was reich. 

i have specifically complained about the 4th quarter meltdowns. which even ballard has stated we ddn't have the pass rush depth for the 4th. 

1 hour ago, AKB said:

the negativity is due to the fact the personnel hasn't changed, there's no encouraging reports from Thomas, Cross, or Jones, and we were 28th-30th in every defensive passing metric...

The problem is that we went with young and developing players last year, and it’s not reasonable to assume they’re not actually going to develop.  I’ve said it before: if you don’t intend to actually develop these guys, then why bother acquiring them in the first place?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Archer said:

The problem is that we went with young and developing players last year, and it’s not reasonable to assume they’re not actually going to develop.  I’ve said it before: if you don’t intend to actually develop these guys, then why bother acquiring them in the first place?

Cross is in his third year. If he isn’t taking the starting job by the horns there is an issue. Jones was a 7th round pick. Flowers was undrafted and coming off a manor injury. Brent’s hasn’t shorn he can stay healthy. Why not try dnd raise the floor. If jones and flowers are your backup CB you’re in pretty good shape. 

2 hours ago, Archer said:

there's also such a thing as cutting your losses. 

3 hours ago, Archer said:

That’s true, but that doesn’t mean you have to throw one or all of them (as the Colts did) into the fire. You can bring them along as they show they are ready. 

I’d much rather we’d have brought in a solid veteran CB for a couple of years. 

How about you boys watch a few preseason games and let the joint practices go by first instead of listening solely to reporters? If reporters knew everything then the coaches would go to them for advice.

Ballard has always had a plan in place. He's probably sitting back laughing. All they are doing is moving the pieces around to get the best fit. Very likely however (after I gave it some thought and listened to who has been out there the most)Blackmon will be the FS, Cross the SS, and Harrison doing what he did last year and as depth. Like Supe said I too have always thought Cross best fit was at SS instead of on the deep middle. It took Blackmon some time as well before things clicked although he flashed more than Cross has. 

I think it's very likely they will upgrade the FS depth behind Blackmon so probably Thomas gets shown the door. Vet behind Blackmon or a waiver pick up. I'm sorry but the Colts hit on too many low round picks and waiver cuts for me to believe they haven't identified guys who can ball behind our starters. I trust their eyes for talent even if the guys are waiver cuts or whatever.

I think this is what's likely. I'm not against pairing Simmons with Blackmon if they go that route, but so far it's rolling close to what I've been hinting at. I think there's probably a guy similar to Daniel Scott out there somewhere they can pickup as depth. Somebody that's got great instincts and what not. And of course Jalen Simpson is in the mix if needed. Although I think they got him to run Baker out of town.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stitches said:

I think with AR a lot of those would be sacks are not actually sacks... 

I don’t think so either. It’s practice and AR isn’t going all out on extending plays. Also, it sounds like they haven’t done any designed QB runs or the like, yet at least. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Captain_Colts1317 said:

Observations from camp today. Didn’t have an opportunity to post while I was there. 

I’m expecting a 10+ sack season from Paye. All the talk is about Latu and how quick he attacks, and rightfully so, but Paye caught my attention today. He is flying off the edge this year. I wouldn’t be shocked to see both Latu, and Paye get 10 sacks this year. 

Bucker is the forgotten man sometimes. The guy is just massive, and creates such a disruption on almost every play. Really the anchor of this defense. 

AR even with a few short throws was impressive. He looks to be very under control out there. It’s nice expecting a highlight reel play every snap again. 

I didn’t get much of a feel for the WRs or Secondary. I did notice AD, he definitely has that star swag about him, with the talent to fill it. Only time will tell if he puts it together. 

Pierce is another dark horse per say. He was playing with a lot of energy today and you don’t realize how big he is until you see him in person. Really nice having a good group of WRs pushing each other. 

Last Thought, If you need one person to throw a ball over a mountain, Flacco is your call every time. 

Also, Grand park is such a nice facility. Parking, and ticket gate are a smooth easy operation. Play 60 area was a hit with the kids, no.. Dad didn’t put a 40 yard time in today either. 

Grand park is fantastic!!!!   We are there 4-5 times a year for soccer.