Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts OTAs Thread May 21st-23rd; May 29th-31st; Mandatory Mini Camp June 4th-6th **Updated Title

7 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I’d still feel a lot better if they picked up a veteran FS.  I hope Scott or Cross are the future, but we haven’t seen much from either of them to really know.  

Bring in a vet and let one of them beat him out.  Competition is always the best way for the cream to rise to the top.  

Long way to go but if Scott keeps it up I'm fine with a trio of Scott, Blackmon, and Cross. I do like that Scott is from the Pac 12 where they sling the ball all over the yard. He is used to playing the pass quite often I'm sure.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, krunk said:

Long way to go but if Scott keeps it up I'm fine with a trio of Scott, Blackmon, and Cross. I do like that Scott is from the Pac 12 where they sling the ball all over the yard. He is used to playing the pass quite often I'm sure.

Read a few coaches comments about Scott having a great football IQ.  That’s a big deal for me.  I’m looking forward to seeing how he performs.

• Like 1

I also want a vet to join Cross and Scott in the battle and the Safety room would be complete. Cross is still very young and his arc is trending up, Scott very smart and heady. Scary thing is last off and preseason Darrell Baker looked tremendous and got a lot of faith from the coaches but once the bright lights came on he fell apart in a big way. Not saying these 2 arent more talented but a vet who has been through the grind very nice insurance and we have the money.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lifetime Colt said:

Post June 1st cuts are coming up in just over a week. Ballard might have his eye on a few possible releases in the secondary to add.

Post June 1st cuts have already been on the market and signed.(See Russell Wilson, Denver will be getting about $50m in addition cap room come June 1st)

Only thing that happens on June 1st is the team that cut the player, using June 1st designation, will get the salary relief from the move. The teams have to carry the savings until June 1st.

So only thing that will really happen is teams that used the June 1st designation earlier in the off season, will have additional cap money to spend.

I suppose you could mean teams will cut some players now? Maybe a few, but most of that will come later.

I think we're pretty much looking at what we will be working with this season. Might sign a vet or 2 later but only after young guys price they can't be the answer, or injuries hit.

11 minutes ago, w87r said:

So only thing that will really happen is teams that used the June 1st designation earlier in the off season, will have additional cap money to spend.

Yeah, so what's more likely is that some of the veterans that have been sitting on the market will get signed by those teams that have been waiting for June 1. Dallas, Miami, Buffalo, SF, Baltimore, all teams that are "contending," but tight up against the cap. Buffalo in particular took a lot of losses in the secondary, I could see them signing a DB.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ColtsGermany said:

Agree with you on the draft takes.

For AR's season, I think mediocrity is what we should hope for( compared to other QBs). We should not forget,that this is basically his rookie season and he's still only 22. So if that would get us to 10-7.....HOORAY !

This is not basically his rookie season.

No one should hope for mediocrity. He was far beyond mediocre in his abridged rookie season. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The vets that are still holding out probably won’t sign until closer to TC. Or until at least mini camp is over.

I'd say a lot are in waiting mode to see what other teams do with their own holdouts. Which makes sense since so many players share agents. 

4 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I'd say a lot are in waiting mode to see what other teams do with their own holdouts. Which makes sense since so many players share agents. 

These vets don’t want to mess with OTA and mini camp either. I am sure money and waiting to see if there are injuries are part of it too.

On 5/23/2024 at 6:53 PM, w87r said:

Post June 1st cuts have already been on the market and signed.(See Russell Wilson, Denver will be getting about $50m in addition cap room come June 1st)

Only thing that happens on June 1st is the team that cut the player, using June 1st designation, will get the salary relief from the move. The teams have to carry the savings until June 1st.

I suppose you could mean teams will cut some players now? Maybe a few, but most of that will come later.

I think we're pretty much looking at what we will be working with this season. Might sign a vet or 2 later but only after young guys price they can't be the answer, or injuries hit.

Yep, it's the "post-June 1" trades that become available (from teams that want to split the dead money.)  This is where you can trade a low round pick for a player that was replaced in the draft. 

On 5/27/2024 at 10:13 AM, cland said:

Yep, it's the "post-June 1" trades that become available (from teams that want to split the dead money.)  This is where you can trade a low round pick for a player that was replaced in the draft. 

https://nfltraderumors.co/updated-nfl-trade-block/

Here is an unofficial trade block.

Has Alie-Cox and Granson on the list for us.

18 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Latu just has insane relentlessness. I just hope he has control

I think he will after a year of seasoning. In the meantime, he'll surprise more than a few offensive lines this season. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, w87r said:

https://nfltraderumors.co/updated-nfl-trade-block/

Here is an unofficial trade block.

Has Alie-Cox and Granson on the list for us.

I honestly dont see Granson going anywhere but dont see a path to a roster spot for MAC if everyone stays healthy. Our TE room is very deep right now with Woods healthy and Ogletree past his legal issues. Mallory had a very good rookie season.

• Like 1

Just now, holeymoley99 said:

I honestly dont see Granson going anywhere but dont see a path to a roster spot for MAC if everyone stays healthy. Our TE room is very deep right now with Woods healthy and Ogletree past his legal issues. Mallory had a very good rookie season.

I'm with you, but both are in their contract years. So having them makes sense. Both have relatively high salaries too. $5.9m + $3.3m with little, to no, dead cap.

Most likely Mo, if everyone stays healthy. Hopefully he stays healthy long enough for us to be able to make a decision. Definitely isn't room for 5. Woods, Mallory aren't going anywhere. Doubt Ogletree does either, so it's down to those 2. Again, health depending.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, w87r said:

I'm with you, but both are in their contract years. So having them makes sense. Both have relatively high salaries too. $5.9m + $3.3m with little, to no, dead cap.

Most likely Mo, if everyone stays healthy. Hopefully he stays healthy long enough for us to be able to make a decision. Definitely isn't room for 5. Woods, Mallory aren't going anywhere. Doubt Ogletree does either, so it's down to those 2. Again, health depending.

I hear a lot about dumping MO, but who is the blocking te if he goes? 

7 hours ago, cbear said:

Y’know, Ogletree and Woods are both very large and athletic.  That should give them potential as blockers.  Neither may ever be as good of a in-line blocker as MO, but they’re not getting any better at it without reps!  At this point, I’d rather we give the PT to players that figure into our future than reap the incremental benefit from MO’s blocking this year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cbear said:

Who's the blocking TE if he stays?? I don't think Mo is that great of a blocker...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Who's the blocking TE if he stays?? I don't think Mo is that great of a blocker...

His last 2 years blocking grades

2022:

Pass Blocking - TE Mo Alie-Cox - 65.7(27/73)

Run Blocking - TE Mo Alie-Cox - 49.3(55/72)

2023:

Pass Blocking TE Mo Alie-Cox 56.7

Run Blocking - TE Mo Alie-Cox 61.0

Others:(2023)

Pass Blocking:(20 or more snaps)

TE Andrew Ogletree 80.1

Run Blocking:

TE Will Mallory 67.5

TE Andrew Ogletree 63.1

TE Kylen Granson 48.2

Ogletree graded out better blocking last year than Alie-Cox.

Mallory graded out better than Alie-Cox in run blocking as well.

Not sure how often we leave our TEs to block on passing, but I guess at least 20 times in Ogletree and Alie-Cox cases last year.

So this notion that Mo needs to be retained for blocking purposes just seems a little off base.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, w87r said:

His last 2 years blocking grades

2022:

Pass Blocking - TE Mo Alie-Cox - 65.7(27/73)

Run Blocking - TE Mo Alie-Cox - 49.3(55/72)

2023:

Pass Blocking TE Mo Alie-Cox 56.7

Run Blocking - TE Mo Alie-Cox 61.0

Others:(2023)

Pass Blocking:(20 or more snaps)

TE Andrew Ogletree 80.1

Run Blocking:

TE Will Mallory 67.5

TE Andrew Ogletree 63.1

TE Kylen Granson 48.2

Ogletree graded out better blocking last year than Alie-Cox.

Mallory graded out better than Alie-Cox in run blocking as well.

Not sure how often we leave our TEs to block on passing, but I guess at least 20 times in Ogletree and Alie-Cox cases last year.

So this notion that Mo needs to be retained for blocking purposes just seems a little off base.

yeah. i'm not surprised by Ogletree grading out well as a blocker. He isn't the pass catching threat that Woods is, but Ogletree might be our best TE overall when you include blocking

• Like 3