Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rumor: Simmons signing with Philly

At this point, this is a rumor and ONLY a rumor.   Just saw a video on YouTube reported mostly as a rumor.   The reporter tried to imply this was going to happen. 

To be clear….   NFL.com doesn’t have this, neither does ESPN.com.   So take this with a large grain of salt.  

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

At this point, this is a rumor and ONLY a rumor.   Just saw a video on YouTube reported mostly as a rumor.   The reporter tried to imply this was going to happen. 

To be clear….   NFL.com doesn’t have this, neither does ESPN.com.   So take this with a large grain of salt.  

If true, this makes me upset. I loved the draft and didn't mind passing on the secondary early as long as we signed a veteran at CB or FS after the draft. This probably takes away the best option available if it happens. We extended Buckner and negotiated his contract, so we should have the available cap space to sign someone.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

If true, this makes me upset. I loved the draft and didn't mind passing on the secondary early as long as we signed a veteran at CB or FS after the draft. This probably takes away the best option available if it happens. We extended Buckner and negotiated his contract, so we should have the available cap space to sign someone.

I think Diggs is the player who has been tied to the Colts more than Simmons.  We will see I guess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

We do have the cap space to sign someone.   But maybe Simmons doesn’t to sign with Indy?    Maybe he’d like to join a team that might make a deeper run in the playoffs than the Colts.   And the Eagles are better.   

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

We do have the cap space to sign someone.   But maybe Simmons doesn’t to sign with Indy?    Maybe he’d like to join a team that might make a deeper run in the playoffs than the Colts.   And the Eagles are better.   

We weren’t even sure Indy is trying to sign him. For all we know, Simmons has never even been contacted. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This isn't meant towards you in particular, but I'm just getting sick of that excuse every time Ballard doesn't sign someone. It's a way to take all the blame off the GM for not getting any FA to sign here without anyone being able to prove otherwise unless there's a report on twitter that confirms it. 

@richard pallo said we were more connected to Diggs, and I remember hearing that, but I'm starting to get a little nervous about the secondary. There has to be a follow up move to the draft. I realize besides the 1st round Ballard got caught on the wrong side of some CB runs, but if we decided to go away from the secondary and strengthen other positions, then we have to use FA to grab a veteran for the short term. 

This post may age poorly in a few days, but right now, the secondary is a clear weakness that needs to be addressed, and although I trust Ballard in the draft, I don't trust him in FA, especially from what he said in the pre-draft conference where he likes the secondary. He may truly believe he doesn't need a veteran to strengthen that group of young players.

3 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

We weren’t even sure Indy is trying to sign him. For all we know, Simmons has never even been contacted. 

It’s all possible.   But I have to believe we’ve at least called to gage interest.  It would seem to be the standard protocol.  

• Like 1

On 5/12/2024 at 11:39 AM, Yoshinator said:

This isn't meant towards you in particular, but I'm just getting sick of that excuse every time Ballard doesn't sign someone. It's a way to take all the blame off the GM for not getting any FA to sign here without anyone being able to prove otherwise unless there's a report on twitter that confirms it. 

@richard pallo said we were more connected to Diggs, and I remember hearing that, but I'm starting to get a little nervous about the secondary. There has to be a follow up move to the draft. I realize besides the 1st round Ballard got caught on the wrong side of some CB runs, but if we decided to go away from the secondary and strengthen other positions, then we have to use FA to grab a veteran for the short term. 

This post may age poorly in a few days, but right now, the secondary is a clear weakness that needs to be addressed, and although I trust Ballard in the draft, I don't trust him in FA, especially from what he said in the pre-draft conference where he likes the secondary. He may truly believe he doesn't need a veteran to strengthen that group of young players.

Every morning I wake up and thank God you're not the Colts GM.

It is to be expected. Eagles, the dream team, who will be associated with every FA available. Just like the Rams once were. 

Texans will be, as long as C J Stroud is in his rookie contract, for the next 2 years, trying to win the off season championship. 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

It is to be expected. Eagles, the dream team, who will be associated with every FA available. Just like the Rams once were. 

Texans will be, as long as C J Stroud is in his rookie contract, for the next 2 years, trying to win the off season championship. 

Some people just don't get it. In most cases, with today's ridiculous salaries, once most of these free agents get that big guarateed contract, they lose their edge and desire. Money is their motivation, once they get it,in most cases, the motivation disappears.

4 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Some people just don't get it. In most cases, with today's ridiculous salaries, once most of these free agents get that big guarateed contract, they lose their edge and desire. Money is their motivation, once they get it,in most cases, the motivation disappears.

Eagles sometimes seem like they are flying by the seat of their pants. 

They don't truly gauge team chemistry and fit completely because they hedge their bets on a few marquee free agents they sign for 2 years typically tops, hoping they will fit. As far as their core, they got Hurts, Brown and DeVonta Smith plus Goedert and their OL/DL. The RB positions and secondary, they dabble a lot in free agency. Hey, if you can fit it into the cap and make it work, that is great but they need that 1 SB to show for it, like the Rams did. They have actually had far more swings in FA over several more years than the Rams.

Texans are just new to that FA party.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

Eagles sometimes seem like they are flying by the seat of their pants. 

They don't truly gauge team chemistry and fit completely because they hedge their bets on a few marquee free agents they sign for 2 years typically tops, hoping they will fit. As far as their core, they got Hurts, Brown and DeVonta Smith plus Goedert and their OL/DL. The RB positions and secondary, they dabble a lot in free agency. Hey, if you can fit it into the cap and make it work, that is great but they need that 1 SB to show for it, like the Rams did. They have actually had far more swings in FA over several more years than the Rams.

Texans are just new to that FA party.

Rams won SB because of a trade for Stafford. The most important position. 

Simmons did have a visit with the Colts. I assume he doesn't waste his time if he has no desire to play here.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Every morning I wake up and thank God you're not the Colts GM.

Just do me a favor. If we sign a veteran in the secondary. Do not praise Ballard. You don't get to bash me wanting a DB option but then praise the move if Ballard does it. If you hate the move when I say it because it presents Ballard or the team in a negative light, then you can't praise Ballard in the moments where him and I agree on something and I say it before it happens.

15 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Just do me a favor. If we sign a veteran in the secondary. Do not praise Ballard. You don't get to bash me wanting a DB option but then praise the move if Ballard does it. If you hate the move when I say it because it presents Ballard or the team in a negative light, then you can't praise Ballard in the moments where him and I agree on something and I say it before it happens.

I'm sorry. I don't take directions from you. Hope you're not offended 

but I'm just getting sick of that excuse every time Ballard doesn't sign someone. It's a way to take all the blame off the GM for not getting any FA to sign here without anyone being able to prove otherwise unless there's a report on twitter that confirms it.

I'm getting sick of the blame every time Ballard doesn't sign someone.  It's a way to complain about Ballard for not signing any FA without anyone being able to prove that player had any interest in signing here in the first place unless there's a report on twitter that confirms it.  

See how that works. :)

• Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Jason_ said:

I'm getting sick of the blame every time Ballard doesn't sign someone.  It's a way to complain about Ballard for not signing any FA without anyone being able to prove that player had any interest in signing here in the first place unless there's a report on twitter that confirms it.  

See how that works. :)

If no players but Davis and Flacco had interest in signing with Indy during the whole FA period this year, then we have more problems than we realize. That's the thing, I liked the draft more than most on here. However, it's contingent on signing a DB in FA to override the fact that we didn't draft a starting DB to help the secondary. 

No one with a straight face can say the secondary is fixed with our young players returning from injuries. Not even Ballard knows that 100%, and people on the forum certainly don't know that. I'm going to go the route that our secondary is a weakness with the backing of facts that QBs destroy us in the pass game, no matter how good or bad they are. 

When you have cap space open like we do after restructuring Buckner's contract, you can go after a veteran DB. Maybe we do, maybe we don't. However, if we don't, we are playing with fire. We are putting our hopes that our secondary is better after 1 year of development, and a 5th and 6th round rookie may make the team and make a difference. Most of the time, that isn't happening.

27 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

If no players but Davis and Flacco had interest in signing with Indy during the whole FA period this year, then we have more problems than we realize. That's the thing, I liked the draft more than most on here. However, it's contingent on signing a DB in FA to override the fact that we didn't draft a starting DB to help the secondary. 

No one with a straight face can say the secondary is fixed with our young players returning from injuries. Not even Ballard knows that 100%, and people on the forum certainly don't know that. I'm going to go the route that our secondary is a weakness with the backing of facts that QBs destroy us in the pass game, no matter how good or bad they are. 

When you have cap space open like we do after restructuring Buckner's contract, you can go after a veteran DB. Maybe we do, maybe we don't. However, if we don't, we are playing with fire. We are putting our hopes that our secondary is better after 1 year of development, and a 5th and 6th round rookie may make the team and make a difference. Most of the time, that isn't happening.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of this, but it's not what I was responding to. :)

If no players but Davis and Flacco had interest in signing with Indy during the whole FA period this year, then we have more problems than we realize.

I mean, the biggest problem is not having a PROVEN franchise QB.  Once AR proves himself (assuming he does) then I think FAs will be far more interested in coming here.  Until then though, we don't really have all that much to offer.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Rams won SB because of a trade for Stafford. The most important position. 

That, and because the Bengals were down to backup offensive lineman who were understandably in over their heads against Aaron Donald. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

But our pass defense wasnt that bad last year, so Im not sure why you think its such an issue. We were in the middle of the pack in just about every category despite the fact we were playing rookies and 1st or 2nd year players with little game experience all over the place. I dont think we are as bad as people think. 

I think there is still a chance they sign somebody like Justin Simmons but I wouldnt bank on them bringing in a significant player at corner. 

5 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

But our pass defense wasnt that bad last year, so Im not sure why you think its such an issue. We were in the middle of the pack in just about every category despite the fact we were playing rookies and 1st or 2nd year players with little game experience all over the place. I dont think we are as bad as people think. 

I think there is still a chance they sign somebody like Justin Simmons but I wouldnt bank on them bringing in a significant player at corner. 

We were middle of the pack in a lot of categories, but we were 28th in scoring defense, and that's what ultimately matters. We were allowing points, and it was costing us games. Even with Minshew we could have made the playoffs if the secondary was better. I don't want that to happen again this year.

14 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

We were middle of the pack in a lot of categories, but we were 28th in scoring defense, and that's what ultimately matters. We were allowing points, and it was costing us games. Even with Minshew we could have made the playoffs if the secondary was better. I don't want that to happen again this year.

Yes but not thru the air. We were middle of the pack in passing TDs as well.

I think they showed enough promise to be optimistic. 

I think with Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde, both safeties being lost by the Bills, I have to think that the Bills, post June 1st, might have more cuts and go after Justin Simmons. It is possible they can restructure Josh Allen too.

23 hours ago, chad72 said:

I think with Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde, both safeties being lost by the Bills, I have to think that the Bills, post June 1st, might have more cuts and go after Justin Simmons. It is possible they can restructure Josh Allen too.

They get $6m in cap space after June 1st, once Tre'Davious White June 1st cap relief becomes available.

They could probably move some more money around on Allen, but not much.

• Like 1