Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2024 Post Draft Updated Roster + Cap Space Discussion Thread

w87r

36 minutes ago, w87r said:

I thought Pittsburgh was going to take him right in front of us.

I'm sure Ballard had a good pulse on the draft who was staying put and what they were probably looking for. Think he just knew what he was doing.

They liked both Mitchell and Corley, imo, so he knew there was a fall back if that did happen. If he was too worried about losing him he would of selected him at #46.

They traded up for Goncalves because they were afraid to lose him. 

IMO and I do mean IMO as we can't be certain what our war room as discussing when they were on the clock for P 46. I "think" what makes sense is the Colts had to like 2 or 3 players at least "almost" as much as they did Mitchell . I have a hard time thinking Corley was one of them as he isn't a burner and looks to be similar to Pittman.  If they "loved Mitchell , they (IMO) would have traded up a few spots instead of down a few.  I just don't buy into the theory that Ballard would risk losing a coveted player for an early and late 5th in a draft that was said to be weak in day 3.  Looking at the results for the next 10-15 picks after 46 , it's hard to figure out a player that brings even close to the value that Mitchell brings to us. 

Don't get me wrong , I do realize that most teams that needed a WR had already selected one. But Pitt could have selected him or the Jets could have traded up from P 1 in round 3 ? In any event , I loved how this turned out but it does perplex me a bit....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, w87r said:

I really do think we will be bringing in Diggs. Diggs has just kept himself inserted in Colts news.

Probably not Simmons though.

Definitely think we will bring in a vet RB, sometime from now to beginning of camp.

With how the draft played out I see a vet CB as well to battle for that 4th outside spot.

Just read an article on BR referencing the top 10 FA available and landing spots.  They mentioned Howard and Nelson for the Colts but not Gilmore.  Diggs was not in their top 10.  Simmons was and he was not mentioned for the Colts.  One interesting comment under Simmons is that he would have counted against the compensatory pick formula if he signed before the draft.  Now he won’t so expect teams to go after him now.  I wonder if Howard or Diggs fall under those similar circumstances.  I think Diggs is more likely for the reason you mentioned.

In another separate article they think Elliott is a candidate to be Taylor’s backup RB with Moss gone.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Just read an article on BR referencing the top 10 FA available and landing spots.  They mentioned Howard and Nelson for the Colts but not Gilmore.  Diggs was not in their top 10.  Simmons was and he was not mentioned for the Colts.  One interesting comment under Simmons is that he would have counted against the compensatory pick formula if he signed before the draft.  Now he won’t so expect teams to go after him now.  I wonder if Howard or Diggs fall under those similar circumstances.  I think Diggs is more likely for the reason you mentioned.

In another separate article they think Elliott is a candidate to be Taylor’s backup RB with Moss gone.

Pretty sure that any player signed after the draft will not count against compensatory picks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Maybe? I think he just read the board well, and he probably liked 2 WRs there. Corley was the next WR taken after Mitchell and not till the first pick of the 3rd round.(12 picks from Mitchell's spot, 18 picks from #46)

Another receiver wasn't drafted in the 2nd after Mitchell 

That’s a good observation. Ballard did indeed read the board very well, it shows. The big run on WRs had already happened and teams that bought into the reporting on AD stayed on the sidelines.

I can see based on the raw post draft interview how it’s possible his combine interviews may not have gone well. Not everyone presents themselves the same polished way teams expect from athletes, definitely not young men that have lots to learn in life. AD might have been a victim of the overreaction.

I personally didn’t like the media base half their questions on his draft position and his reaction to it. In fact the best question in his interview came from a lady towards the end that asked him to contrast the 2 years he had in Georgia versus the last one in Texas, and the question about working with Wayne, IMO.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Yeah I read that article.

Didn't see the Nelson part, . maybe I didn't read it good enough? Have to double back.

Howard makes some sense. Can come compete for #2/#3, at worst, makes the whole group deeper at the #4 spot. As does a few other guys.

Still interested to see how Ameer Speed has developed, off of his rookie season. Never know, could take a step as well.

Main goal should be to get Baker off of the position battle list and on the camp body list.

10 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Pretty sure that any player signed after the draft will not count against compensatory picks.

Yeah, I believe tomorrow is that date, but it doesn't matter, because we are not projected to get any comp picks.

Minshew + Moss got wiped out by Davis + Flacco

EDIT: 4:01pm, Monday following draft.

21 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yeah, I believe tomorrow is that date, but it doesn't matter, because we are not projected to get any comp picks.

Another date is coming this Thursday , May 2. That's the deadline for teams to pick up player's 5th year options. I'm thinking they do so with Kwity Pate. The number is 13+ million. Not saying a no brainer at that # but he's solid ....

• Like 4

20 hours ago, w87r said:

Positional Groups, Locks, Battles and FA options:(will update with all positions as we go)(work in progress)

CB:((4) Locks, (2) Open Spots)

Outside:

Brents(lock)

Flowers(lock)

Jones(lock)

Speed

Baker Jr

Nickel:

Moore(lock)

Lammons

Abraham(maybe can play outside?)

Position Battles CB4:

Speed

Baker Jr

Abraham 

Vet FA?

Position Battles NB2:

Lammons

Abraham 

Possible FA Additions:

Nelson 

Gilmore

Witherspoon 

Howard

Adoree Jackson

JC Jackson 

Levi Wallace

S:((2) Locks, (2) Open Spots)

FS:

Thomas

Scott

Simpson

SS:

Blackmon(lock)

Cross(lock)

Denbow 

Camp Bodies:

Dabo

Brooks

Tutsie 

Position Battle FS1/2:

Thomas

Scott

Simpson 

Vet FA?

Position Battle S4:(included with players above)

Denbow

Possible FA Additions:

Simmons 

Diggs 

Eddie Jackson 

Hyde

Updated the 2nd post of thread to include positional locks, battles and options.

Will keep updating it as we go through each one.

Also moved questions to 3rd post with my answers.if anyone want to answer.any of them

Secondary definitely should be main focus, as far as bringing in a vet.

3 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Another date is coming this Thursday , May 2. That's the deadline for teams to pick up player's 5th year options. I'm thinking they do so with Kwity Pate. The number is 13+ million. Not saying a no brainer at that # but he's solid ....

I think it's a no brainier at that number personally.

Would put us next year at:

Ebukam - $11m

Latu - $3.5-$4m

Paye - $13.1m

$27.6m-$28.1m for (3) good Edge guys. Less than (1) elite guy.

Still leaves plenty of money to sign pretty much whatever.

Right now, we would have around $70m next year in cap space.

Spotrac shows $58m, but is only showing $7m rollover right now. We currently would be rolling about $20m over(taking out practice squad and roster going to top 53 funds)

So that puts $13m more on Spotrac's currently listed 2025 Cap Space.

Of course any signing now will reduce it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, w87r said:

I feel great about this team right now.  Signing a FS in the next couple of days would really fill a big hole and anchor the secondary.  Here’s hoping.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I feel great about this team right now.  Signing a FS in the next couple of days would really fill a big hole and anchor the secondary.  Here’s hoping.  

Makes sense looking at the roster. There is 3 needs.

1. Vet CB to compete for top 4 spot 

2. Vet FS to compete with our young guys for spot

3. Vet RB to complete the room

I imagine Ballard.and everyone has sit.and looked at the roster and gone over what's still needed and best way to approach it.

I think FS and CB should probably be sooner than later.

RB can wait closer to camp, but if eyeing someone specific now, might want to go ahead and make the move.

I also posted earlier, about the possibility of Tanner Pennix, UDFA utility tool, might be able to pull off #3 RB/FB/TE role?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, w87r said:

I think it's a no brainier at that number personally.

Would put us next year at:

Ebukam - $11m

Latu - $3.5-$4m

Paye - $13.1m

$27.6m-$28.1m for (3) good Edge guys. Less than (1) elite guy.

Still leaves plenty of money to sign pretty much whatever.

Right now, we would have around $70m next year in cap space.

Spotrac shows $58m, but is only showing $7m rollover right now. We currently would be rolling about $20m over(taking out practice squad and roster going to top 53 funds)

So that puts $13m more on Spotrac's currently listed 2025 Cap Space.

Of course any signing now will reduce it.

Good points.  Plus next year , the only notable free agents we have are  Kelly , Speed , Blackmon and to a lessor degree Odeyingbo. None of these should be costly and it remains to be seen if Kelly signs his 3rd contract .  Probably extend Raimann and still be swimming in cap money. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Good points.  Plus next year , the only notable free agents we have are  Kelly , Speed , Blackmon and to a lessor degree Odeyingbo. None of these should be costly and it remains to be seen if Kelly signs his 3rd contract .  Probably extend Raimann and still be swimming in cap money. 

I think Dayo is right there at 1b behind Kelly, but we may if just drafted his replacement as you stated.

Pennix listed himself as RB on his twitter so I guess he's playing there during camp. It's going to be tough for a UDFA to make it. I think QB3 and backup RB has the highest chance of a UDFA making the roster.

Many people are going to hate it but I don't think we sign a vet CB. Colts drafted 2 CBs (Simpson and Abraham) so it's going to be tough finding a spot for a vet. Biggest hole is FS and I think a vet gets added there. Probably Diggs because he's been liking a lot of Colts stuff. Simmons would obviously be ideal, I just don't see it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dw49 said:

IMO and I do mean IMO as we can't be certain what our war room as discussing when they were on the clock for P 46. I "think" what makes sense is the Colts had to like 2 or 3 players at least "almost" as much as they did Mitchell . I have a hard time thinking Corley was one of them as he isn't a burner and looks to be similar to Pittman.  If they "loved Mitchell , they (IMO) would have traded up a few spots instead of down a few.  I just don't buy into the theory that Ballard would risk losing a coveted player for an early and late 5th in a draft that was said to be weak in day 3.  Looking at the results for the next 10-15 picks after 46 , it's hard to figure out a player that brings even close to the value that Mitchell brings to us. 

Don't get me wrong , I do realize that most teams that needed a WR had already selected one. But Pitt could have selected him or the Jets could have traded up from P 1 in round 3 ? In any event , I loved how this turned out but it does perplex me a bit....

PIttsburgh needed IOL (specifically center) and that's what they ended up drafting. It was a deep WR draft, it made more sense to address a bigger need in a class that wasn't as deep as WR. Maybe some team could've traded in but I don't think any of those teams were willing to move, much like the first round. It's not like Ballard did this blindly. If Colts actually thought a team would take Mitchell then they would've taken him at 46, not 52. 

• Like 1

Just now, IndyScribe said:

Pennix listed himself as RB on his twitter so I guess he's playing there during camp. It's going to be tough for a UDFA to make it. I think QB3 and backup RB has the highest chance of a UDFA making the roster.

Many people are going to hate it but I don't think we sign a vet CB. Colts drafted 2 CBs (Simpson and Abraham) so it's going to be tough finding a spot for a vet. Biggest hole is FS and I think a vet gets added there. Probably Diggs because he's been liking a lot of Colts stuff. Simmons would obviously be ideal, I just don't see it. 

Makes sense with Pennix.

Simpson was brought in for FS, not CB. He can play CB though, but was ranked high amongst the top rated deep center fielders.

I wouldn't be shocked if we didn't bring in a vet CB, but I think that #4 spot could use another guy to compete.

4 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

PIttsburgh needed IOL (specifically center) and that's what they ended up drafting. It was a deep WR draft, it made more sense to address a bigger need in a class that wasn't as deep as WR. Maybe some team could've traded in but I don't think any of those teams were willing to move, much like the first round. It's not like Ballard did this blindly. If Colts actually thought a team would take Mitchell then they would've taken him at 46, not 52. 

Yeah, I agree.

He read the board great, it wasn't a lucky dice roll.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, w87r said:

I think Dayo is right there at 1b behind Kelly, but we may if just drafted his replacement as you stated.

I said to a "lessor degree" as the room really seems full. Don't forget we signed Lewis on a 2 year deal. Could cut him in 2025 and take the 2.5 mill cap hit but the position seems to be loaded going into 2025.

16 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

IMO , there was a very large drop off in the WR's that remained after Mitchell. I didn't say Ballard did this "blindly" . What I said was I doubt he makes this move unless there were 2-3 players that he had values at least somewhat close to Mitchell. Again ... my opinion . I just don't think he takes the risk without being OK with a player other than Mitchell  at 52. There (again IMO) no way Ballard can be sure no team will move into spot 51 and draft Mitchell. 

2 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I said to a "lessor degree" as the room really seems full. Don't forget we signed Lewis on a 2 year deal. Could cut him in 2025 and take the 2.5 mill cap hit but the position seems to be loaded going into 2025.

Yeah but he can slide inside and be #4 DT

No reason to get rid of Lewis either, still don't even know if we.are picking up Paye's option yet. Even if so, there is room for all 5 off then again next year.

Tryouts:

Michael Vinson (LS) - Indianapolis Colts

Not to much of a surprise here. Have Notre Dame's old SPT Coach.

Can't see him unseating Luke Rhodes

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Craig Young was an Ohio State recruit and transferred to Kansas  - both he and the new draftee Jaylon Carlies have a similar athletic profile with a 4.50ish 40, with 33 and 34 inch arms (respectfully) and both are 6'3" and 226ish......I think Craig Young has a chance as a back-up/teams guy if he shows out in camp. Stuard, McGrone and Olubi aren't exactly world beaters after all. Those measurements (BTW) are very much in the mold of the Okereke/Leonard/Speed size/length/speed ratios..........

Back to this, they did give him $40k guaranteed 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Yeah but he can slide inside and be #4 DT

No reason to get rid of Lewis either, still don't even know if we.are picking up Paye's option yet. Even if so, there is room for all 5 off then again next year.

True on Lewis . Assuming we pick up year 5 on Paye , we can't even assume Dayo would want to return to Indy. I guess it all depends on how that edge room shakes out ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

That's a pretty hefty .

It's not that big, but it isn't nothing, either. Says they really like him. Whether that leads to a #5/#6 LB spot this year or a practice squad spot is TBD, I guess. It's in his hands now.

Some UDFAs got $300k guaranteed in this cycle.

Just now, dw49 said:

True on Lewis . Assuming we pick up year 5 on Paye , we can't even assume Dayo would want to return to Indy. I guess it all depends on how that edge room shakes out ?

I still think Dayo has a monster role inside and out. We can afford to pay him too(well reasonable). He could want a bigger role though.

I think he has nothing but positive thoughts on Indy so hopefully he would want to stay if we want to keep him.

I guess if not, we still have some nice pieces.

20 minutes ago, w87r said:

Partridge is giving all kinds of recommendations it seems.?

It's a huge deal that we are banking that we have an upgrade at RG with his 3rd rd recommendation.

And this guy's measurables don't put him on Ballard's radar.

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

It's a huge deal that we are banking that we have an upgrade at RG with his 3rd rd recommendation.

And this guy's measurables don't put him on Ballard's radar.

I'm sure we are hoping we have an upgrade or replacement in 2025, but Fries finished graded out in the top 30 of all guards last year. So it's not an easy task just to come upgrade that spot. 

I'm sure Ballard had a lot more to go on, than just Partridge's recommendations. I'm sure they did ask him his input on Goncalves though, as his defensive unit has went against him the last few years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stitches said:

Seems like Jason bean is a dual threat QB:

Wonder if he might be able to fight for QB3 spot. Or at the very least practice squad.. 

There definitely is a battle for #3. I actually think Ehlinger might have the long odds for the spot. Contract year for Sam

Also:

Slovis got a $30k signing bonus as well.

From link in tweet:

"Indianapolis gave BYU passer Kedon Slovis $30,000 in guaranteed money to convince Slovis to sign over other teams in the hunt for an undrafted passer on Saturday night."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, w87r said:

There definitely is a battle for #3. I actually think Ehlinger might have the long odds for the spot. Contract year for Sam

Also:

Slovis got a $30k signing bonus as well.

Yeah... it's interesting that the two most high-profile UDFAs we got are the two QBs. Seems like we are really trying to create a battle for QB3. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah... it's interesting that the two most high-profile UDFAs we got are the two QBs. Seems like we are really trying to create a battle for QB3. 

They might keep both Slovis and Bean and let Sam Ehlinger go.

One can be QB3, one can be on the PS.

I'm thinking that's the way they are imagining it right now.

And like I said, Sam is in a contract year and inherited by Steichen.

• Like 1

Since we're already talking about QBs, I will drop my QB and RB groups.

On 4/27/2024 at 2:37 PM, w87r said:

QB:(5) Anthony Richardson, Joe Flacco, Sam Ehlinger, Kedon Slovis, Jason Bean

QB:((2) Locks, (1) Open Spot)

Richardson(lock)

Flacco(lock)

Ehlinger 

Slovis

Bean

Already been talking about it, but I think odds are against Ehlinger to return next season.

Positional Battle QB3:

Ehlinger

Slovis 

Bean

On 4/27/2024 at 2:37 PM, w87r said:

RB:(6) Johnathan Taylor, Evan Hull, Trey Sermon, Tyler Goodson, Trent Pennix, Zavier Scott

RB:((2) Locks, (1) Open Spot)

Taylor(lock)

Hull(lock)

Sermon

Goodson

Pennix

Scott

Taylor and Hull are locks no doubt, have (4) guys fighting for RB3 and hopefully will bring a vet in to compete as well. I am intrigued by Pennix potential role though

Positional Battle RB3:

Sermon 

Goodson

Pennix 

Scott

Vet FA?

Possible FA Additions:

Akers

Elliott 

Cook

Hunt

Penny

7 hours ago, w87r said:

Just thought about it this morning as I was reevaluating things.

Maybe he could be a big 3rd or 4th RB, with the ability to line up and lead block?

We’ll have to go back to SS’s San Diego and Philly time to see if there is a comp?!!?

12 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

We’ll have to go back to SS’s San Diego and Philly time to see if there is a comp?!!?

2019 Chargers (ast OC)

Derek Watt FB

2020 Chargers (OC)

Joshua Kelly (big bruiser)

Gabe Nabors FB

2021 Eagles(OC)

Jordan Howard (big bruiser)

2022 Eagles(OC)

Trent Sermon was the bruiser.

So, yes there is a history of big bruiser backs and a FB.

So I could see there maybe some potential there for RB3/FB?

Edit:

Kelley, coincidentally, is a FA right now as well.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, w87r said:

Just thought about it this morning as I was reevaluating things.

Maybe he could be a big 3rd or 4th RB, with the ability to line up and lead block?

In San Diego from 2014-2020 they had Derek Watt as a fullback in the offense, nothing in Philly though.

Perhaps he wants a return of a dedicated fullback? In an RPO offense that doesn’t seem likely though UNLESS that fullback was an athletic freak and could pull it off? Tommy Tremble from ND was the last college kid that I saw do it. Perhaps Pennix can as well?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, w87r said:

2019 Chargers (ast OC)

Derek Watt FB

2020 Chargers (OC)

Joshua Kelly (big bruiser)

Gabe Nabors FB

2021 Eagles(OC)

Jordan Howard (big bruiser)

2022 Eagles(OC)

Trent Sermon was the bruiser.

So, yes there is a history of big bruiser backs and a FB.

So I could see there maybe some potential there for RB3/FB?

Edit:

Kelley, coincidentally, is a FA right now as well.

We were researching at the same time! Ha!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

In San Diego from 2014-2020 they had Derek Watt as a fullback in the offense, nothing in Philly though.

Perhaps he wants a return of a dedicated fullback? In an RPO offense that doesn’t seem likely though UNLESS that fullback was an athletic freak and could pull it off? Tommy Tremble from ND was the last college kid that I saw do it. Perhaps Pennix can as well?

Yeah I just used the years Steichen had the OC title.

Definitely had Watt for all the other years prior as an offensive assistant.

I really just feel like, 1. The team loves versatility, 2. Pennix seems like he is suitable for the role, 3. Seems like Steichen has a history of big bruiser backs and/or FB in his system. 4. Feel like Steichen likes gadget guys too.

Pennix got a shot.

• Like 1