Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pressers from Owners meetings

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If we get Blackmon back and sign a vet FS I think I am ok with that. Then we can get a stud at CB maybe at 15 or even 46. Those first two picks will be very important.

Sounds like you warmed up to CB at 15 instead of a WR which I agree with. Someone like Terrion Arnold wound be a game changer and welcome addition. Can’t forget that a little bit ago Sauce Gardner came into the league and had instant success and was DROY.  I feel that AR will elevate the offense more than some think it will. Rather go WR at pick 45 or trade back into the first and pick up Xaivier Worthy. 

7 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

Sounds like you warmed up to CB at 15 instead of a WR which I agree with. Someone like Terrion Arnold wound be a game changer and welcome addition. Can’t forget that a little bit ago Sauce Gardner came into the league and had instant success and was DROY.  I feel that AR will elevate the offense more than some think it will. Rather go WR at pick 45 or trade back into the first and pick up Xaivier Worthy. 

I was never against corner at 15. What I was displeased about is some kind of vet as insurance because none of of corners are proven. Now I would rather have a offensive weapon but always been ok with a CB.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 4:35 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I was never against corner at 15. What I was displeased about is some kind of vet as insurance because none of of corners are proven. Now I would rather have a offensive weapon but always been ok with a CB.

I am. I’m very much against corner or safety round 1 or 2. I absolutely hate drafting based off need especially when there will be better players available at other positions most likely. And I think there’s good value at corner in rounds 3 and 4. 

8 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I am. I’m very much against corner or safety round 1 or 2. I absolutely hate drafting based off need especially when there will be better players available at other positions most likely. And I think there’s good value at corner in rounds 3 and 4. 

I think corner could actually be BPA.  Being a position of need could just be coincidental.  We have no way of knowing what the Colts board looks like.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 3:26 PM, adubb84 said:

Gardener was 4th overall and I believe Wotherspoon was 5th overall last year. They had immediate impact, and I think that can be attributed to how highly rated they were coming out. Not saying a corner picked at 15 can't have the  same impact but probably less likely

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Hmmmm. Didn't Ballard always say it wasn't about one player, the qb???? 

Yep, he said that after Luck retired (even though he took the job because of Andrew Luck). Now it's suddenly about the QB when that's the reason he's failing and it gives him a convenient excuse not to change his FA strategy. Blame Reich on the QB (in the fans eyes), then blame the lack of a QB even though it wasn't about the QB at the beginning of your tenure. Ballard is changing his tune and getting exposed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yoshinator said:

Yep, he said that after Luck retired (even though he took the job because of Andrew Luck). Now it's suddenly about the QB when that's the reason he's failing and it gives him a convenient excuse not to change his FA strategy. Blame Reich on the QB (in the fans eyes), then blame the lack of a QB even though it wasn't about the QB at the beginning of your tenure. Ballard is changing his tune and getting exposed. 

Oh Dear God….  You’re hallucinating, again.  

I seriously doubt Ballard ever said he took the job for Andrew Luck.  It would be un-Ballard-like.   Remember, when Frank got the job Ballard said how impressed that Frank interviewed for 5 hours without asking one single question about the health of Luck.  And Ballard has never blamed Frank Reich, even when he was fired.   Ballard always praised Frank saying the Colts were lucky to have him. 

Remember, you’re the poster who made a legendary post declaring that Ballard didn’t understand that Luck, as quarterback, was the most important player on the roster simply because Ballard said that the 53rd man was just as important as the first.  A flood of posters had to explain to you that Ballard was trying to impress upon all the players toward the bottom of the roster that they are an important part of the team.  That what they do can make the difference between winning and losing.  (Think Special Teams)  You eventually apologized for letting your emotions get the best of you.  

Im not asking you to like him or agree with him.  But your rants are filed with fantasies…. Things that Ballard didn’t say or do.   I’d like to at least find agreement on the facts. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Imagine thinking a general manager of a multi billion dollar organization would admit to the key customers (fans) that the qb was the most important position in football, and losing Andrew Luck would be devastating to the franchise’s success. 

If it wasn’t about one player, then it would’ve been a hell of a lot easier to win paying 3 different guys $20 plus million for the one season they were each year for… 

40 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Oh Dear God….  You’re hallucinating, again.  

I seriously doubt Ballard ever said he took the job for Andrew Luck.  It would be un-Ballard-like.   Remember, when Frank got the job Ballard said how impressed that Frank interviewed for 5 hours without asking one single question about the health of Luck.  And Ballard has never blamed Frank Reich, even when he was fired.   Ballard always praised Frank saying the Colts were lucky to have him. 

Remember, you’re the poster who made a legendary post declaring that Ballard didn’t understand that Luck, as quarterback, was the most important player on the roster simply because Ballard said that the 53rd man was just as important as the first.  A flood of posters had to explain to you that Ballard was trying to impress upon all the players toward the bottom of the roster that they are an important part of the team.  That what they do can make the difference between winning and losing.  (Think Special Teams)  You eventually apologized for letting your emotions get the best of you.  

Im not asking you to like him or agree with him.  But your rants are filed with fantasies…. Things that Ballard didn’t say or do.   I’d like to at least find agreement on the facts. 

Whether Ballard said it or not, there's no doubt he took the job because of Andrew Luck. There was very little on the team after Grigson destroyed it that was attractive to a new GM. Ballard thought he could rebuild the team around Luck and it didn't happen that way and he was blindsided. 

Ballard didn't blame Reich, but it was Reichs fault about not getting a young, franchise QB unless it was Irsay specifically who told Ballard to get Rivers, Wentz, and Ryan in succession. He probably approved it, but those were Reichs ideas. He was hired by Ballard and Ballard gave in. Even a fan knows that a team has a better chance of getting their franchise QB through the draft than FA.

Ballard is a snake oil salesman IMO. He sells people on a garbage vision on how he will compete, and it never materializes. It's like those pyramid scheme scammers. You give money and it never works out. In this case, fans spend money on the product and give their time to the team and it never works out, and he never changes his stripes. 

There's a good chance I don't watch a game this year. I just don't care at this point. I'm basing it on what we do in the draft at this point. Doesn't seem fair, but Ballard always puts that pressure on himself anyway. So if he wants to run it back with the same old team plus the draft, then the draft better be elite and fix the secondary and fill the rest of our depth weaknesses or I have no interest in watching another crapshow of a season. Last three years were brutal for me. 

I can't handle Ballard as the GM anymore or watching the teams play that are built by him.

Whether Ballard said it or not, there's no doubt he took the job because of Andrew Luck. There was very little on the team after Grigson destroyed it that was attractive to a new GM. Ballard thought he could rebuild the team around Luck and it didn't happen that way and he was blindsided. 

Ballard didn't blame Reich, but it was Reichs fault about not getting a young, franchise QB unless it was Irsay specifically who told Ballard to get Rivers, Wentz, and Ryan in succession. He probably approved it, but those were Reichs ideas. He was hired by Ballard and Ballard gave in. Even a fan knows that a team has a better chance of getting their franchise QB through the draft than FA.

Ballard is a snake oil salesman IMO. He sells people on a garbage vision on how he will compete, and it never materializes. It's like those pyramid scheme scammers. You give money and it never works out. In this case, fans spend money on the product and give their time to the team and it never works out, and he never changes his stripes. 

There's a good chance I don't watch a game this year. I just don't care at this point. I'm basing it on what we do in the draft at this point. Doesn't seem fair, but Ballard always puts that pressure on himself anyway. So if he wants to run it back with the same old team plus the draft, then the draft better be elite and fix the secondary and fill the rest of our depth weaknesses or I have no interest in watching another crapshow of a season. Last three years were brutal for me. 

I can't handle Ballard as the GM anymore or watching the teams play that are built by him.

Aside from the fact there are only 32 GMs in the NFL.  

if you can’t handle Ballard as the GM anymore don’t.  No one is making you follow or watch the Colts.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Gardener was 4th overall and I believe Wotherspoon was 5th overall last year. They had immediate impact, and I think that can be attributed to how highly rated they were coming out. Not saying a corner picked at 15 can't have the  same impact but probably less likely

Christian Gonzalez, who got picked last year at 18 or around there, was defensive rookie of the first month of the season before he got season ending injury.

If the evaluation is right, elite players can produce in rookie year.

But, Bradley defense demands the CBs to be conservative, ensuring not giving up big plays so not sure their impact can be assessed well. Elite players need to be given some freedom to do their best to get the best out of their instincts. 

18 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

It was one of the first things he tried to make a point of when he took the job. I believe it was also reiterated yet again during the Brissett/Rivers/Wentz period. 

Throughout Monday, Ballard reverted to the "team aspect" that he wants prevalent from his relationship with Chuck Pagano, on down. 

It was there when asked about walking into a GM situation with Andrew Luck under center. 

"It will never be about one guy," Ballard said, after acknowledging the talent that Luck brings. "It will never be about one guy. It's about all 53 men in that locker room. It's about all 63 men, including the practice squad, that we have. It will never be about one person. It will always be about the team.

"Is he a good piece? Absolutely. But he's just one of the 53 men that we have to go win with."

https://www.colts.com/news/chris-ballard-jacked-to-build-team-of-problem-solvers-with-colts-18519350

Now, a pair of presidencies later, it seems to be an awful lot about one guy, and we still need “problem solvers” at multiple positions. 

Zoomies Spinning GIF by Impact Dog Crates

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

Last year was brutal for you?   Seriously?   Last year was one of the most enjoyable seasons of my 12+ years of Colts fandom!   A season where the Colts exceeded expectations while playing their backup quarterback.  Watching Steichen coach the heck out of this team!   A real pleasure.  Honestly. 

And given the nature of how negative things are around here I’ll share a thought that I fully expect to get laughed at over…

Ballard didn’t take the job over Luck.  Ballard took the job over Irsay.   I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Irsay, who had been a GM, then hired Bill Polian,  then Ryan Grigson who got exec of the year one year, then Ballard who also got executive of the year one year.   I don’t believe in coincidences like that.   Irsay knows the complexities of the job.   When Ballard took the job it wasn’t clear what was happening with Luck?   The one constant was Irsay.    Plenty of decisions were made with the trio…. Irsay, Ballard and Reich.  

After the Luck retirement the Colts were in win-now mode.  They had a young team built to win and weren’t going to tell them the team was going to be in re-build mode for 2-4 years while a young quarterback learned on the job.  

Things look obvious in hind sight.  The Colts plans were known in real time and they made what they felt were the only decisions that they could.   Try to win every year.  And part of the reason Ballard hasn’t been fired is that Irsay approved of those plans, he signed off on them.  

Im sorry you may not watch this year.  Steichen is a really sharp guy.  Fun to watch.   I hope you’ll reconsider.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Christian Gonzalez, who got picked last year at 18 or around there, was defensive rookie of the first month of the season before he got season ending injury.

If the evaluation is right, elite players can produce in rookie year.

But, Bradley defense demands the CBs to be conservative, ensuring not giving up big plays so not sure their impact can be assessed well. Elite players need to be given some freedom to do their best to get the best out of their instincts. 

Not disagreeing  just making the point that the higher u r picked, the better the chance or u producing