Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ahkello Witherspoon

I think he would be a good singing. Long rangy corner who is still only 28. Came off a solid season after staying healthy finally. Would be a good cheaper option to help add a vet to the room. Would be outside starting day 1 and could help Jaylen Jones and Brents improve with competition. Any thoughts?

2 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

I think he would be a good singing. Long rangy corner who is still only 28. Came off a solid season after staying healthy finally. Would be a good cheaper option to help add a vet to the room. Would be outside starting day 1 and could help Jaylen Jones and Brents improve with competition. Any thoughts?

Terrion Arnold will be our starter but I like him as an idea 

A good thought….   I checked Spotrac for his contract history and PFF for performance.   

He’s been at a large number of places for such a short career.   Not a good sign.    Here’s his history. 

SF        2017-20

Sea.     2021 (mostly PS)

Pitt.     2021-2022

LAR.    2023

He’s never made a ton of money.   He’s had some very good years where he graded out very well.   Some where’s he’s graded about average, and one where he graded poorly.   

But here’s the thing….    Witherspoon has never been a full time starter.  I think he had one or two years where he had about 55-60 percent of the snaps, but that’s the most.  Otherwise, he only getting about 25-40 percent of the snaps.  So not sure if that’s what the Colts are looking for in a veteran FA corner? 

LATE EDIT:   Just double checked his combine.  He measured and tested thru the roof.  Suspect he has a very high RAS.  Meets or exceeds all Ballard known measurements.  So you have to believe Witherspoon is on the Colts priority list, but WHERE on the list is the question.   

Now that we re-signed Kenny Moore, he will lead the CB room and the Colts may not feel that we need another veteran in there. Otherwise, why not bring Gilmore back?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Thread of the Week

• Topics

• And @Superman.  When did I ever say that Ballard didn't have the player he selected as his BPA the time he selected him?    The luck comes into play when a talented player such as AM or Raimann falls and is your BPA when you're on the clock.  Its not like Ballard knew they would be there, and finally pulled the trigger before one of the other 31 GMs caught on to what he knew all along.   Ballard himself said he had no idea how this stuff plays out, and that he got lucky (that the guy he had as his BPA on the board was so talented).  Me and Chris seem to see the draft working the same way I guess.    As far as Raimann, who appears to be a top 10 OT that was picked after a struggling AP and Woods...for whatever reason he was picked behind them.....the situation is no different than other players who turned out better than their draft slot would suggest:  Polian got lucky that Mathis turned out to be the player he did. (He had no idea). NE with Brady. (had no idea)  SF with Purdy. (had no idea).  And Ballard with Raimann.  Why would I choose to tell myself that Ballard's benefit from Raimann being a better player than he and every other 31 GM thought he would be (this early), is different than the luck Polian, BB, and Lynch benefitted from?    In the interview, Ballard is being candid.  He is telling us that he (and other GMs) get lucky, when the convo is about specific players sometimes.
    • Another factor is pressure rate. You do realize that the Colts drafted a guy named Latu and hired a dline coach named Partridge for a reason... right?
    • The Eagles love Rodgers so much that their first 2 picks were cornerbacks.
    • I hear you but most of the league runs zones more than man now and we still have one of the weaker groups of CBs.  That info from pff a couple years ago
    • I dont 100% disagree, and respectfully,    There IS an economy in running a zone defense that the Colts run   Some teams go with man-to-man corners on an island   This allows you to blitz more often, keeping the QB guessing.   Its a BEAUTIFUL thing when you have the right TWO man-to-man CBs. They are harder to find, and are MUCH more expensive than a decent zone CB   THIS defense uses front 4 pressure  (supposedly  ) to shorten the time for the QB to find an open receiver We use our money and priority draft picks on DL to support this defense.   THIS is the defense that we play   You can get by with a CB (less expensive) that can zone cover, and can tackle, that wouldn't survive in a man-to-man scheme   A 4.5 40 is fast enough for this scheme, but they DO have to tackle   IMHO, in this defense, you need pressure from the DL and a solid FS, to "erase" the coverage mistakes from CBs   I do have some concerns with our LBs in coverage as we didnt seem to keep up with crossers, RB releases, and TEs     We will see how it plays out, but I truly hope that we take a swing at a FA FS                            
  • Members