Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Best 2024 Draft Prospect Fits

Hello all,

Now that the the Senior Bowl and Combine have come and went, it’s time to narrow down the prospects that will be fits for the Colts and have a higher chance of being drafted in April. Going in to year 8, Ballard has shown and explained his blueprint for drafting players, and it’s becoming easy to see what guys will be guys he targets. Last year everyone honed in on JuJu Brent’s as a Ballard type and sure enough, he was picked. A lot of what Ballard likes has been nicely laid out by Zach Hicks in his yearly Build-A-Ballard series. It hasn’t dropped yet this year so I’m going to lay out a couple of guys that will be good fits IMO

Im skipping TE since to me it’s Bowers or Bust, as well as QB since we have AR

Ballard’s Player Preferences Regardles of Positions are usually:

-Elite RAS score

-Senior Bowl Participants

-Good character

-Team Captains

-Produced in college

Offensive Fits:

WR:

Note: He values WRs that can block and have good size (6 ft+)

1. Rome Odunze, Washington 

2. Brian Thomas Jr., LSU

3. Tez Walker, UNC

4. Xavier Legette, South Carolina

5. Ryan Flournoy, Southeast Missouri State

RB:

1. Dylan Laube, New Hampshire

2. Michael Wiley, Arizona

3. Issac Guerendo, Louisville 

IOL

1. Cooper Beebe, Kansas State

2. Mason McCormick, South Dakota State

3. Tanor Bortolini, Wisconsin

4. Zach Frazier, WVU

OT

1. Kingsley Suamataia

2. Patrick Paul, Houston

3. Frank Crum, Wyoming

4. Garret Greenfield, South Dakota State

Defensive Fits:

Edge:

1. Jared Verse, FSU

2. Marshawn Kneeland, Western Michigan

3. Eric Watts, Uconn

4. Brennan Jackson, Washington State

5. Jalyx Hun, HCU

DT/NT

1. Kris Jenkins, Michigan 

2. Braden Fiske, FSU

3. Ruke Orhorhoro, Clemson 

4. Maason Smith, LSU

5. Gabe Hall, Baylor

6. Khristian Boyd, Northern Iowa

LB:

1. Edgerrin Cooperx, Texas A&M

2. Cedric Gray, UNC

3. Trevin Wallace, Kentucky

4. Curtis Jacobs, Penn State

5. Jordan Magee, Temple

CB

Note: 32” arm length is preferred

1. Quinyon Mitchell, Toledo

2. Cam Hart, Notre Dame

3. Khyree Jackson, Oregon

4. TJ Tampa, Iowa Statge

Safety:

1. Tyler Nubin, Minnesota

2. Kitan Oladapo, Oregon State

3. Beau Brade, Maryland

That’s all she wrote, thanks!

• Like 9

I like it!

Is there a reason Chop isn’t on the list?

I’m guessing Payton Wilson isn’t on the list because of his T-rex arms?

Caedan Wallace might be a prospect to watch at OT day 3. RAS 9.10 and 34” arms. 

• Like 3

@Defjamz26 you copying my draft board? Great minds and looks good.

Check out CB Ryan Watts (Texas) - impressive measurables that the Colts like 34 1/2” arms, 82 1/8” wingspan, 40.5” vertical, broad 125, 3-cone 6.82.  Solid tackler needs to improve coverage skills.  

As a late option has that up and down game to game potential.  Got to love his measurements and am wondering if has a future in nickel as future option for Kenny. 

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

Truely is my biggest knock on Wilson and does seem to go against the mold of a Colt.  

Cedric Gray is completely off my board, guy can’t open-field tackle.  

Safeties am looking at free agency not the draft but do like Jaylin Simspon depth behind Xavier McKinney and pairing Cross with other the New Yorker Jordan Whitehead.  Coach Partridge was brought in might as well try to being in some of the players who played at Pittsburgh during same time period.  Dane Jackson as LCB is another cross-over with Partridge.  With Simpson has the chance to learn from one of the better FS in the league and hopefully take over on the backend of the contract. 

• Like 2

I like Legette a lot. Think he would do well with AR and a much better athlete than Pierce. He can go up and get it, smooth run after catch ability as well and super fast. Like Brian Thomas JR as well. No problem with the Odunze pick either. Of course my other is Adonai Mitchell. Not on the list though.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I like it!

Is there a reason Chop isn’t on the list?

Caedan Wallace might be a prospect to watch at OT day 3. RAS 9.10 and 34” arms. 

You are correct about Wilson. It’s the 30 inch arms which are super short for a LB in general, but even more so for a Ballard LB.

Chop is an elite athlete. I just don’t know how polished he is, and Ballard would have to take him round 1, which I don’t see happening.

5 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Safeties am looking at free agency not the draft but do like Jaylin Simspon depth behind Xavier McKinney and pairing Cross with other the New Yorker Jordan Whitehead.  Coach Partridge was brought in might as well try to being in some of the players who played at Pittsburgh during same time period.  Dane Jackson as LCB is another cross-over with Partridge.  With Simpson has the chance to learn from one of the better FS in the league and hopefully take over on the backend of the contract.

This is not really a good safety class. Like at all. I truly think safety needs to be addressed in FA. I like the guys you mentioned with McKinney and Whitehead. I’d also look at Jeremy Chinn from Carolina. I listed Oladapo because he’s a Ballard fit (team captain, Senior, good RAD), but you’d draft him day 3 to be a SS/LB hybrid, which is needed in todays game. Think Deone Buccannon.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

Of course my other is Adonai Mitchell. Not on the list though.

I actually forgot about Mitchell. He should be added to the list.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Chop is an elite athlete. I just don’t know how polished he is, and Ballard would have to take him round 1, which I don’t see happening.

Raw has not held Ballard back before though. He's all about upside and how they project.

• Like 1

I wonder if I should move off of Braden Fiske. Just saw he only has 31” arms, and from my research, none of the DTs that Ballard has drafted have had shorter than 33” arms. He tested elite at literally everything else though and he’s a local kid, so I’m torn.

• Like 2

Watching Edgerrin Cooper, I don’t know if there is a more Ballard-y type player in the draft. Long, athletic, great closing speed, I just get the feeling if Cooper is there at 46, he’ll be at the top of the remaining players on Ballard’s big board. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

Watching Edgerrin Cooper, I don’t know if there is a more Ballard-y type player in the draft. Long, athletic, great closing speed, I just get the feeling if Cooper is there at 46, he’ll be at the top of the remaining players on Ballard’s big board. 

Going to run with it but yes like to see the Colts add another Edgerrin in R2.  E.J. Speed will be a free agent next season.  Not to mentioned Speed turns 30.  Cooper is one of my top 3 picks at P46 and helps fill a future void heading into 2025 offseason. 

19 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

You are correct about Wilson. It’s the 30 inch arms which are super short for a LB in general, but even more so for a Ballard LB.

This is not really a good safety class. Like at all. I truly think safety needs to be addressed in FA. I like the guys you mentioned with McKinney and Whitehead. I’d also look at Jeremy Chinn from Carolina. I listed Oladapo because he’s a Ballard fit (team captain, Senior, good RAD), but you’d draft him day 3 to be a SS/LB hybrid, which is needed in todays game. Think Deone Buccannon.

Wilson was atop my draft board but after seeing his arm measurements have removed him which is a shame because the rest of his measurements are solid. 

Do agree the Colts need a SS/LB hybrid.  Not sure anybody in this draft class has that ability that matches the Colts at this time.  Haven't been able to find one and Chinn, know he is a local and Colt fan probably growing up, but am still on the fence with him as an overall player.  Really am waiting on next year's drat class and want to target Sebastian Castro (Iowa).  Castro would be ideal in the hybrid LB/SAF role which is what Iowa uses a 4-2-5 base defense in the Cash spot. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

This also isn’t a great LB class in the early rounds, so my thinking is he’ll be gone. I actually think we will trade down in the 1st round again and him and Coulson will be gone.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 7:26 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Hello all,

Now that the the Senior Bowl and Combine have come and went, it’s time to narrow down the prospects that will be fits for the Colts and have a higher chance of being drafted in April. Going in to year 8, Ballard has shown and explained his blueprint for drafting players, and it’s becoming easy to see what guys will be guys he targets. Last year everyone honed in on JuJu Brent’s as a Ballard type and sure enough, he was picked. A lot of what Ballard likes has been nicely laid out by Zach Hicks in his yearly Build-A-Ballard series. It hasn’t dropped yet this year so I’m going to lay out a couple of guys that will be good fits IMO

Im skipping TE since to me it’s Bowers or Bust, as well as QB since we have AR

Ballard’s Player Preferences Regardles of Positions are usually:

-Elite RAS score

-Senior Bowl Participants

-Good character

-Team Captains

-Produced in college

Offensive Fits:

WR:

Note: He values WRs that can block and have good size (6 ft+)

1. Rome Odunze, Washington 

2. Brian Thomas Jr., LSU

3. Tez Walker, UNC

I think Adonai Mitchell fits the bill too... In fact... except for the Senior bowl thing, purely physically he probably fits the mold the best. 

RB:

1. Dylan Laube, New Hampshire

2. Michael Wiley, Arizona

3. Issac Guerendo, Louisville 

IOL

1. Cooper Beebe, Kansas State

2. Mason McCormick, South Dakota State

3. Tanor Bortolini, Wisconsin

4. Zach Frazier, WVU

Bortolini's agility drill scores are insane! They are some of the best in the history of the combine. And the shuttle one has proven to be a good predictor for success in the past. I'd be good with taking him as our long-term project to replace Kelly. 

OT

1. Kingsley Suamataia

2. Patrick Paul, Houston

3. Frank Crum, Wyoming

4. Garret Greenfield, South Dakota State

Defensive Fits:

Edge:

1. Jared Verse, FSU

2. Marshawn Kneeland, Western Michigan

3. Eric Watts, Uconn

5. Jalyx Hun, HCU

I wrote in another thread. IMO even though at first glance Dallas Turner doesn't seem like a Ballard DE, if you look deeper into his length, speed and explosiveness scores... IMO he's one of the best fitting DEs you can find for the LEO position in Gus' scheme. 

DT/NT

1. Kris Jenkins, Michigan 

2. Braden Fiske, FSU

3. Ruke Orhorhoro, Clemson 

4. Maason Smith, LSU

5. Gabe Hall, Baylor

6. Khristian Boyd, Northern Iowa

Fiske fits athleticism-wise... but his length is kind of... low... like really low for his size. 

LB:

1. Edgerrin Cooperx, Texas A&M

2. Cedric Gray, UNC

3. Trevin Wallace, Kentucky

4. Curtis Jacobs, Penn State

5. Jordan Magee, Temple

CB

Note: 32” arm length is preferred

2. Cam Hart, Notre Dame

4. TJ Tampa, Iowa Statge

Adding a few more CBs(your names are pretty good fits too):

Kool-aid McKinstry

Max Melton

Safety:

1. Tyler Nubin, Minnesota

2. Kitan Oladapo, Oregon State

3. Beau Brade, Maryland

That’s all she wrote, thanks!

Good list... thanks for compiling it. :thmup:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

Yep. Cooper IMO is the best approximation of what Ballard likes in his LBs. Besides the athletic and physical profile - he fills the stat sheet exactly like Ballard likes from his LBs - tackles, TFLs, PDs, forced fumbles, sacks... he does it all.. Leonard, Okereke, Speed... they all had this in common too. 

I don't know where Cooper ends up being drafted, but IMO there is a legit chance the Colts will be one of the teams interested. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

This also isn’t a great LB class in the early rounds, so my thinking is he’ll be gone. I actually think we will trade down in the 1st round again and him and Coulson will be gone.

Yeah I agree with that, his tape is good enough to be drafted somewhere in the 30s imo, high upside too.

14 hours ago, stitches said:

Bortolini's agility drill scores are insane! They are some of the best in the history of the combine. And the shuttle one has proven to be a good predictor for success in the past. I'd be good with taking him as our long-term project to replace Kelly. 

I wrote in another thread. IMO even though at first glance Dallas Turner doesn't seem like a Ballard DE, if you look deeper into his length, speed and explosiveness scores... IMO he's one of the best fitting DEs you can find for the LEO position in Gus' scheme. 

Fiske fits athleticism-wise... but his length is kind of... low... like really low for his size. 

Only thing about Bortolini is his short arms (20% tile) and span (42% tile) but the rest of his timed measurements were ALL excellent for sure.  Figured like Kelly we would at a minimum prefer an OL with 33" arms.  Although Pinter measured 31 7/8" arms.  Bortolini.  With Pinter being a free agent now could see the potential to add Bortolini instead in Round 5-6.

Dallas Turner is a SLB something the Colts don't really use much of is the only reason I don't have Turner on my draft board.  Too high of a premium draft pick for a position devalued by the Colts.

Not sold on Fiske either.  Don't see his athleticism translating to the NFL or to the Colts system.  Simply not a fan or buying into the hype.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, stitches said:
On 3/6/2024 at 12:26 AM, Defjamz26 said:

The only thing is I’m not convinced Bradley is the long term answer at DC, so I wouldn’t want to draft any players that’s selling point is their ability to fit in his scheme. Turner did have great testing though and his arm length was insane. 

20 hours ago, stitches said:

On 3/6/2024 at 12:26 AM, Defjamz26 said:

I think his teammate may actually be more of our type. Fabien Lovett Sr. Is his name. He hasn’t tested yet though, so I’ll have to see what he does at his pro day.

21 hours ago, stitches said:

Adding a few more CBs(your names are pretty good fits too):

Kool-aid McKinstry

Max Melton

Melton I like. Good senior bowl and tested amazing. If Moore leaves I’d be interested in drafting him and starting him in the slot. I think he can play outside, but he’s the only guy with arm length and quickness to play inside. All of the other potential slot guys (Sanristil, Jarrian Jones, etc…) have short arms.

• Like 1

I’m going to start pulling guys from this list periodically and putting why I think they’re fits. Basically a prospect deep dive. May do 1-2 a day

Let’s start with Cam Hart, CB from Notre Dame. First let’s look at his measureables 

First thing you’ll notice is his incredible length:

6’3” with 33” arms. And at over 200 lbs, he’s built similarly to JuJu Brents, although JuJu was a lot quicker (better 3-cone and shuttle) and was a 9.99 RAS.

Hart was both a Senior Bowl participant (5th year senior) and a team captain, which are two Ballard signatures.

Also in our current scheme, it’s important for corners to be able to tackle. He’s good at that too.

Also as a bigger corner, he actually handles speed really well

Also has really smooth hips for a bigger corner

Only knocks on him are ball production as he only had 2 INTs in 5 years at Notre Dame. But as you can see in the Tweet above he had 3 * this past season. Another little plus with him is he actually did the best in coverage against Marvin Harrison out of almost any corner. Held him to 3 catches for 32 yards.

Also during his combine interview you could tell that he has great character. Humble and chill, not flashy at all.

Total Boxes Checked:

-Elite RAS score

-Long arms

-Senior Bowl participant

-Team Captain

-Tackles well

-No character issues

Only unchecked box is ball production. Overall I’d say he’s probably one of the top 5 best Ballard fits in the draft. I’d put money on him being a pick for the Colts, somewhere between rounds 2-3.

• Like 3

On 3/6/2024 at 7:29 PM, Colt Overseas said:

I like him as well as he can cover and can blitz

Our LBs aren’t great underneath against the pass

15 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’m going to start pulling guys from this list periodically and putting why I think they’re fits. Basically a prospect deep dive. May do 1-2 a day

Let’s start with Cam Hart, CB from Notre Dame. First let’s look at his measureables 

First thing you’ll notice is his incredible length:

6’3” with 33” arms. And at over 200 lbs, he’s built similarly to JuJu Brents, although JuJu was a lot quicker (better 3-cone and shuttle) and was a 9.99 RAS.

Hart was both a Senior Bowl participant (5th year senior) and a team captain, which are two Ballard signatures.

Also in our current scheme, it’s important for corners to be able to tackle. He’s good at that too.

Also as a bigger corner, he actually handles speed really well

Also has really smooth hips for a bigger corner

Only knocks on him are ball production as he only had 2 INTs in 5 years at Notre Dame. But as you can see in the Tweet above he had 3 * this past season. Another little plus with him is he actually did the best in coverage against Marvin Harrison out of almost any corner. Held him to 3 catches for 32 yards.

Also during his combine interview you could tell that he has great character. Humble and chill, not flashy at all.

Total Boxes Checked:

-Elite RAS score

-Long arms

-Senior Bowl participant

-Team Captain

-Tackles well

-No character issues

Only unchecked box is ball production. Overall I’d say he’s probably one of the top 5 best Ballard fits in the draft. I’d put money on him being a pick for the Colts, somewhere between rounds 2-3.

Does he last until round 3?

He would be a great pickup

• Like 1

On 3/7/2024 at 9:13 AM, stitches said:

I think Adonai Mitchell fits the bill too... In fact... except for the Senior bowl thing, purely physically he probably fits the mold the best. 

agreed

My hope is that we trade back a few spots and take him at 22-25

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Does he last until round 3?

He would be a great pickup

Possibly. There is great CB depth in this class, and since other teams don’t have the strict benchmarks for players that Ballard does, some other corners will go before him.

• Like 1

Today let’s look at Mason McCormick from South Dakota State:

However, if you switch his position to Center then you get:

That is important to know because one of the great things with McCormick is that he has the skill set and build to play either guard or center, and we know that versatility is something that Ballard values high (Tyquan Lewis, Julian Blackmon Danny Pinter, etc…).

He was also a 3 time team captain at South Dakota State who played and started 57 consecutive games. 57!!

With 33 inch arms he checks the length box that Ballard values for OL.

If you like a little nasty in your lineman, then he’s got it

He’s plenty agile too

Also watch how he handles Kristian Boyd in the bottom video in the tweet above. Boyd is one of my guys too and a lot of people like him here too.

Also Jim Nagy ran into at the combine and personally told him that he misses on him and should have had him at the Senior Bowl. It’s also reported that he killed his interviews at the Combine and teams loved him.

So When I tally up all the checked boxes we have:

- High RAS (9.96 at OG and 10 at Center)

-Long Arms

-Senior (but no Senior Bowl)

-Position Flexibility

-Durability 

-No character issues

The only unchecked box I’ve got is that he didn’t go to the Senior Bowl, but that small since he was at the Shrine Bowl and dominated and the Director of the Senior Bowl says he missed on him. 

Overall I think he’s a perfect fit for the Colts and checks all of Ballard’s boxes. I think he’s another guy with a good chance to get drafted by Indy. My round projection would be round 4, but I could see another team snag him in round 3.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Today let’s look at Mason McCormick from South Dakota State:

However, if you switch his position to Center then you get:

That is important to know because one of the great things with McCormick is that he has the skill set and build to play either guard or center, and we know that versatility is something that Ballard values high (Tyquan Lewis, Julian Blackmon Danny Pinter, etc…).

He was also a 3 time team captain at South Dakota State who played and started 57 consecutive games. 57!!

With 33 inch arms he checks the length box that Ballard values for OL.

If you like a little nasty in your lineman, then he’s got it

He’s plenty agile too

Also watch how he handles Kristian Boyd in the bottom video in the tweet above. Boyd is one of my guys too and a lot of people like him here too.

Also Jim Nagy ran into at the combine and personally told him that he misses on him and should have had him at the Senior Bowl. It’s also reported that he killed his interviews at the Combine and teams loved him.

So When I tally up all the checked boxes we have:

- High RAS (9.96 at OG and 10 at Center)

-Long Arms

-Senior (but no Senior Bowl)

-Position Flexibility

-Durability 

-No character issues

The only unchecked box I’ve got is that he didn’t go to the Senior Bowl, but that small since he was at the Shrine Bowl and dominated and the Director of the Senior Bowl says he missed on him. 

Overall I think he’s a perfect fit for the Colts and checks all of Ballard’s boxes. I think he’s another guy with a good chance to get drafted by Indy. My round projection would be round 4, but I could see another team snag him in round 3.

McCormick screams Ballard guy. I like Tanor Bortolini as well. 

• Like 1

Let’s go over another guy I really like. Marshawn Kneeland, Edge from Western Michigan University 

Not sure why he was put in the system as a DT. If you run him as Defensive end, he’s an 8.45 but his agility testing numbers dissapear so it’s probably not a fair grade. His weight numbers would likely be better too.

Anyways, you’ll notice how long his arms are at 34.5”. Really great number there.

Kneeland is a Senior who was at the Senior Bowl and performed really well there. 

What is evident with Kneeland is the ridiculous amount of power that he plays with. He can push the OT into the lap of the QB

Another interesting thing about him is that he had the opportunity to transfer to Colorado his Senior year to go play with Coach Prime. He chose to stay and cited the people who really gave him a shot still being around as the reason why. Shows a lot of character.

Now he wasn’t a team captain his senior year, which does intrigue me a bit because Braden Fiske was his former teammate and was a team captain when he was there. Why wasn’t he a captain after Fiske left?

Aside from that, he’s got everything else you need, including the size profile to kick inside on some passing downs. His bend and agility for his size is pretty good as well. I think considering the struggle the Colts edge rushers had with pressure percentage, an edge who does just that is a perfect fit.

Overall he’s got a great athletic profile (although there are some freakier guys in the glass) that’s highlighted by his length and agility. He plays with a lot of power and has a non stop motor. He wasn’t a team captain, which to me is a head scratcher, but his high character makes up for it.

I’d say he’s a pretty good Ballard like Edge but maybe not the best (I’d probably give it to Verse). Still I could see him being a good day 2 pick for the Colts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Couple updates to the list based on some feedback. Bolded are new entries 

WR:

1. Rome Odunze, Washington 

2. Brian Thomas Jr., LSU

3. Tez Walker, UNC

6. Adonai Mitchell, Texas

CB:

2. Cam Hart, Notre Dame

4. TJ Tampa, Iowa State

5. Max Melton, Rutgers

6. M.J. Devonshire, Pitt

Edge

1. Jared Verse, FSU

2. Marshawn Kneeland, Western Michigan

3. Eric Watts, Uconn

5. Jalyx Hunt, HCU

6. Chop Robinson, Penn State

@OhioColt Ryan Watts may project better at safety in the NFL, but even so he’s an elite athlete so he deserves a tape watch from me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

@OhioColt Ryan Watts may project better at safety in the NFL, but even so he’s an elite athlete so he deserves a tape watch from me.

Really hoping we could address more of our defensive backs in free agency.  Looks more and more like we look to the draft.  If so, am hoping we do trade back in Round 1 with the Cardinals for an example.   Trade back R1 to P27 – Colts send R1P15 and R5P151 to ARI for R1P27, R3P66 and R3P90

R1P27 TE Ja’Tavion Sanders - hoping Sanders becomes our #1.  Did pass on Pork Chop. 

R2P46 SS-NCB Javon Bullard - looking more like we are low on cap space and Blackmon is done in Indianapolis.  Bullard offers bonus of dual roles.  Nubin is another option but lately have Bullard high ranked and figured still available. 

R3P66 FS Calen Bullock - like the idea of an earlier R3P here to go after one of the few remaining talented FS left in the draft class  

R3P82 – Browns offered trade back to R3P85 and send R5P156 plus WR Austin Watkins

R3P85 via CLE SWR Malik Washington - Josh Down was a dream pick in R3 last year and Washington would be another great WR3-4 option

R3P90 CB/SAF Renardo Green (Florida St) - Liking Green a lot lately and has the ability to start opposite Brents Day 1 I feel.  Not sure about moving to SAF.

R4P117 OT Mason McCormick (SD ST)

R5P156 via Browns WR Ryan Flournoy - After the Combine I've moved Flournoy up from his R7-UDFA initial projection 

R6P191 Edge Javontae Jean-Baptiste 

R7P234 OLB Richard Jibunor (Troy)

As for Ryan Watts will leave him as a UDFA but do like Jean-Baptiste and Jibunor much better.  

10 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Couple updates to the list based on some feedback. Bolded are new entries 

CB:

2. Cam Hart, Notre Dame

4. TJ Tampa, Iowa State

5. Max Melton, Rutgers

6. M.J. Devonshire, Pitt

My TOP DB fits for the Colts

1. CB Quinyon Mitchell (Toledo)

2. CB TJ Tampa (Iowa St)

3. CB/FS Jaylin Simpson (Auburn) - Moved from CB to FS last year in college, but his speed should keep him at CB in the NFL imo

4. FS Calen Bullocks (USC) - needs to be a better tackler.  Ran a 4.48s-forty

5. FS Khyree Jackson (Oregon) - His 4.5s-forty was the 22nd fastest out of 29 CBs at the Combine.  See Jackson moving to FS much like Cooper DeJean who also ran a 4.5s-forty

6. FS Renardo Green (Florida St) - 4.49s-forty see moving to FS

7. FS Jarvis Brownlee Jr (Louisville) - 4.48s-forty see moving to FS

8. CB Jarrian Jones (Florida St) - got speed and coverage skills but is an average in run-defense and a poor tackler

9. CB Elijah Jones (BC) - got decent speed and coverage skills but needs to improve tackling and run-defense

As you can tell not many starter options opposite Brents besides Mitchell and Tampa while I see both Jones' as late depth.  After the Combine we know this year's receiver class is faster than the DBs.  Why can see a few change positions in the NFL and would struggle to match up as outside CBs.  Even Nick Cross ran a 4.34s-forty so yeah not excited about many of the DBs in the draft class.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Let’s go over another guy I really like. Marshawn Kneeland, Edge from Western Michigan University 

Not sure why he was put in the system as a DT. If you run him as Defensive end, he’s an 8.45 but his agility testing numbers dissapear so it’s probably not a fair grade. His weight numbers would likely be better too.

It's interesting, when I run Kneeland as a DE he grades out at 9.24:

120324005.JPG.2e9adc20a63fe10578f86fab1b58811c.JPG

Another good write up. Come 'em coming!

• Like 1

I’m trying to pull the guys from my list that people might not be too familiar with. So today I’m going to spotlight Ruke Orhorhoro, DT from Clemson

9.90 RAS and he’s that explosive on tape. This is one of those super athletes that Ballard likes.

This is a Senior who wasn’t at the Senior Bowl, but in his last season put up 23 tackles,17 hurries, and 5 sacks. It took him awhile to put it all together because of the talent on the Clemson D-Line over the years.

The thing that will pop up with him again and again, is his first step quickness. He gets off the ball like an edge rusher and can convert that speed to power.

Once again, insane measureables. We know from Ballard drafting Adetomwi last year that he loves the ultra athletes on the defensive line. 

As for character he definitely checks all the boxes. While Clemson just does game day captains, they noted on their website that’s he’s a very vocal leader. He also made the All ACC Academic team showing his ability to be a student athlete which is something that Ballard has valued in the past. He is also a native of Lagos Nigeria, moving to America when he was 9. Originally a basketball guy as well but stuck with football because he loved the brotherhood feeling of it.

Boxes checked:

-Elite RAS. A+ athlete

-Excellent length

-Produced in college (12 career sacks)

-Student athlete

-Clean character

There really weren’t any boxes he didn’t check. Overall he’s a perfect Ballard prospect. The things that were evident with Kwity Paye, Dayo, Turray, Tomi, etc… are evident in Rume. He’s actually way more polished than Tomi coming out, and has a much higher ceiling than Eric Johnson. Think he could be a 2nd round target for Ballard.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’m trying to pull the guys from my list that people might not be too familiar with. So today I’m going to spotlight Ruke Orhorhoro, DT from Clemson

9.90 RAS and he’s that explosive on tape. This is one of those super athletes that Ballard likes.

I like this guy at DT, right behind Sweat and Murphy II.  I've had him in several of my mocks.  Raw compared to some of the DTs available, but his potential is very high!

On 3/6/2024 at 7:29 PM, Colt Overseas said:

Agreed

Cooper is also someone who blitzes effectively from the LB position

If we can get FAs at FS, CB, I would love to pick Cooper in round 2

11 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

This is a Senior who wasn’t at the Senior Bowl, but in his last season put up 23 tackles,17 hurries, and 5 sacks. It took him awhile to put it all together because of the talent on the Clemson D-Line over the years.

The thing that will pop up with him again and again, is his first step quickness. He gets off the ball like an edge rusher and can convert that speed to power.

Once again, insane measureables. We know from Ballard drafting Adetomwi last year that he loves the ultra athletes on the defensive line. 

As for character he definitely checks all the boxes. While Clemson just does game day captains, they noted on their website that’s he’s a very vocal leader. He also made the All ACC Academic team showing his ability to be a student athlete which is something that Ballard has valued in the past. He is also a native of Lagos Nigeria, moving to America when he was 9. Originally a basketball guy as well but stuck with football because he loved the brotherhood feeling of it.

Boxes checked:

-Elite RAS. A+ athlete

-Excellent length

-Produced in college (12 career sacks)

-Student athlete

-Clean character

There really weren’t any boxes he didn’t check. Overall he’s a perfect Ballard prospect. The things that were evident with Kwity Paye, Dayo, Turray, Tomi, etc… are evident in Rume. He’s actually way more polished than Tomi coming out, and has a much higher ceiling than Eric Johnson. Think he could be a 2nd round target for Ballard.

Byron Murphy is my #1 DT, but Ruke Orhorhoro is top 3 in my opinion, possibly only passed by Jer'Zhan Newton (and Murphy).

Good write up, I hope Ballard has him in his sights. He'd be a great prospect to have behind Buckner and to eventually take his place.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IndyColtsFan411 said:

I like this guy at DT, right behind Sweat and Murphy II.  I've had him in several of my mocks.  Raw compared to some of the DTs available, but his potential is very high!

Raw but has explosiveness you can’t teach. He also got better every year in college. Despite him only being 22 years old, he’s a 5th year player. So he needs some more polish, but he’s not as raw as everyone thinks.

• Like 1