Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Texans have both OROY and DROY

ArmchairQB

Do you think Ballard would have given up next year's first rounder for a top 5 player in the draft after picking in the Top 5? Look at the gamble the Texans took and now the Cardinals have their pick No. 27, a far cry from where Will Anderson was picked.

No risk it, no biscuit. While no one expected the Texans to win their division, all the bold moves the Texans' GM made is what made them what they are and their exceptional coaching on top of QB play. Derek Barnett gets waived, Texans get him on waivers. Teair Tart from Titans gets waived, Texans get him on waivers. They have spared no moves to get better.

That is why I feel they could go after Mike Evans and dominate this division for a few years if we don't make some moves ourselves. We got them without both Tank Dell and Noah Brown, with just Nico Collins. If they add more DL help and a marquee WR, we are the ones looking up at them clearly.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Do you think Ballard would have given up next year's first rounder for a top 5 player in the draft after picking in the Top 5? Look at the gamble the Texans took and now the Cardinals have their pick No. 27, a far cry from where Will Anderson was picked.

No risk it, no biscuit. While no one expected the Texans to win their division, all the bold moves the Texans' GM made is what made them what they are and their exceptional coaching on top of QB play. Derek Barnett gets waived, Texans get him. Teair Tart from Titans gets waived, Texans get him. They have spared no moves to get better.

That is why I feel they could go after Mike Evans and dominate this division for a few years if we don't make some moves ourselves. We got them without both Tank Dell and Noah Brown, with just Nico Collins. If they add more DL help and a marquee WR, we are the ones looking up at them clearly.

Yep. This is why I have Nick Caserio as a top 5 GM already. He can literally do what I do in Madden in real life. The guy turned that Franchise around in 3 years. Incredible accomplishment. They are in the catbirds seat to win the division most years and make the playoffs most years. CJ Stroud doesn't even have to carry them. They already have a great team around him. Maybe get a WR and TE, fill a couple defensive holes, and sign some O-Line depth and a RB and they are set to compete again. They can do that in one offseason. Their window is open to compete now. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, chad72 said:

No risk it, no biscuit.

And then you have the Carolina Panthers...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

Yep. This is why I have Nick Caserio as a top 5 GM already. He can literally do what I do in Madden in real life. The guy turned that Franchise around in 3 years. Incredible accomplishment. They are in the catbirds seat to win the division most years and make the playoffs most years. CJ Stroud doesn't even have to carry them. They already have a great team around him. Maybe get a WR and TE, fill a couple defensive holes, and sign some O-Line depth and a RB and they are set to compete again. They can do that in one offseason. Their window is open to compete now. 

Not this again 🤯

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

No risk it, no biscuit. While no one expected the Texans to win their division, all the bold moves the Texans' GM made is what made them what they are and their exceptional coaching on top of QB play. Derek Barnett gets waived, Texans get him on waivers. Teair Tart from Titans gets waived, Texans get him on waivers. They have spared no moves to get better.

If he had extra first round picks to burn I think he would have done this.  A lot of GM’s would.  You just don’t want to mortgage your future if you don’t have multiple picks.  Also,  he traded one of the Cleveland picks for Wil Anderson not his own.  So obviously he was expecting to draft higher this year. Again,  not hard to gamble when you have extra assets.  

I’m not even going to address the second part of the statement.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ponyboy said:

And then you have the Carolina Panthers...

Carolina Panthers didn't fail because of that trade. Their team was just put together poorly. Not the case with the Colts. We are a player or two away from winning the division, I feel. Very few would argue that given that we were 1 play away from possibly winning the division with Minshew.

Once we win the division, we could get even more aggressive in FA and the draft. If we are confident our 2025 1st rounder would be in the middle or later, I would feel confident trading it, depends on the situation. 

Say we get a blue chip player amongst 2 or 3 we have slotted and get 1 of them at No.15, the 3rd blue chip player on our board keeps falling to No.20, we can always ask if the other team would take our future 1st for that player. 

2 hours ago, ArmchairQB said:

If he had extra first round picks to burn I think he would have done this.  A lot of GM’s would.  You just don’t want to mortgage your future if you don’t have multiple picks.  Also,  he traded one of the Cleveland picks for Wil Anderson not his own.  So obviously he was expecting to draft higher this year. Again,  not hard to gamble when you have extra assets.  

I’m not even going to address the second part of the statement.   

Polian gave up a future 1st for Ugoh to 49ers when we had Peyton and were picking in the back end of Round 1 always. Ballard gave up a future 1st for Wentz to Eagles after the Rivers season, there was a good chance we'd be giving up a mid 1st rounder or late one.

It is all about the situation you are in and if you feel you are a player or two away from being a division leader and contender.

• Like 2

Congrats to Stroud and Anderson on great rookie years!  Looks like the Texans have players on both sides of the ball to build around. I still think they have more to do so will be interesting to see if they can find the final pieces of the puzzle to contend for championships. The AFCS is on the verge of becoming an extremely tough division. Colts, Jags and Texans are all 2-3 players away from being serious threats to make the conference championship game. 

On 2/9/2024 at 9:56 AM, Yoshinator said:

I don't know, I may be in the minority here, but I honestly don't think they are any better than we are. It is pretty even IMO. They beat us because we dropped a pass on 4th and 1. Richardson was out of course as well. I do think Stroud is good but so was Lawrence in 2022 with the Jags and he regressed in 2023. Let's see the Texans beat us with Richardson playing, then I may change my tune. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't know, I may be in the minority here, but I honestly don't think they are any better than we are. It is pretty even IMO. They beat us because we dropped a pass on 4th and 1. Richardson was out of course as well. I do think Stroud is good but so was Lawrence in 2022 with the Jags and he regressed in 2023. Let's see the Texans beat us with Richardson playing, then I may change my tune. 

Fair enough. I respect this viewpoint, The Texans and Caserio get a lot of leeway for two reasons though. Caserio is even with Ballard in 3 years. It took Ballard 7 years to do what he did. Also, Richardson isn't a hit yet. He showed great potential last year, but he's been injury prone and hasn't proven he can really play at the NFL yet. Stroud won ROTY and a playoff game in his rookie year. That's the heavy difference right now. 

Congratulations to CJ Stroud & Will Anderson Jr!!

Now - the Colts need to continue putting pieces in place around Anthony Richardson & the Shane Steichen-led offense.

Ballard also needs to continue reworking some of the defensive pieces garnering more "quality" than "quantity" in some positions.

Just remember one FACT:  You can't find sustained success in the NFL if you aren't both proactive - AND - reactive!!

Anyone else think CJ Stroud is getting a little to cocky after this season. Here he claims he shredded the Colts the first game when most of his stats came after it was 31-10. I’m not taking anything away from him he had a great season but you’ll have to constantly prove yourself and have a more humble mindset. They’ll likely be favored so higher expectations will be placed on him next season.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Anyone else think CJ Stroud is getting a little to cocky after this season. Here he claims he shredded the Colts the first game when most of his stats came after it was 31-10. I’m not taking anything away from him he had a great season but you’ll have to constantly prove yourself and have a more humble mindset. They’ll likely be favored so higher expectations will be placed on him next season.

Yeah, most of his yards came when the game was already over against us. AR out played him in the 1st Half as well which is an actual fact, no debating it. 2nd game vs us, take away the 75-yard bomb at the beginning, he was average vs us - sometimes even bad, another fact that statistics and only scoring 16 points after that proves. 

I am not a hater of Stroud - He deserved Rookie of the Year but is just good, not very good or great yet. Andrew Luck and RG3 both were better as rookies. 

10 hours ago, JediXMan said:

I don't think he was emphasizing his numbers from an arrogant point of view. It felt to him like he started to get comfortable with what he is capable of doing around that point in time, regardless of game situation. If he had those gaudy numbers, you can always thank Gus Bradley and his prevent D for that. :) 

A few years ago, in 2021, I think, Josh Allen and the Bills started turning things around the Bucs game vs Tom Brady that they took to OT on the road and predictably lost. :) Then went on a run till that 13 second game happened vs The Chiefs. So, sometimes the light bulb goes off for QBs and a confidence gets a booster shot during the season, at different points in the season.

In the second game, Stroud was minus Tank Dell and Noah Brown and had just Nico Collins, so I wouldn't get carried away from our end either as to how well we stopped him. The second year is what tells you if a QB can be consistent or not, following a very good first year. With their salary cap room, I know for a fact based on their aggression in the draft and waiver move behavior that they will be adding free agents on offense and defense. Till they are taken down, they are division champions that also had a playoff win.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 8:56 AM, Yoshinator said:

Not really.  They were the worst franchise in the NFL for several years, and also traded their franchise qb, in order to accumulate a truckload of premium picks.  Nothing groundbreaking about that strategy....anyone could pull it off.  The NFL rewards the worst teams.

They actually have to play a real schedule in 2024, teams may actually gameplan for then, and i'd imagine they won't have 3-4 games handed to them on a silver platter as they did in 2023, where they still only went 10-7.  They will be one of the 20 average to slightly above average, .500ish teams next year, and nothing more.

40 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

Not really.  They were the worst franchise in the NFL for several years, and also traded their franchise qb, in order to accumulate a truckload of premium picks.  Nothing groundbreaking about that strategy....anyone could pull it off.  The NFL rewards the worst teams.

They actually have to play a real schedule in 2024, teams may actually gameplan for then, and i'd imagine they won't have 3-4 games handed to them on a silver platter as they did in 2023, where they still only went 10-7.  They will be one of the 20 average to slightly above average, .500ish teams next year, and nothing more.

Them being the worst franchise for several years had nothing to do with Caserio. He was fixing the team right when he got there. No 1st or 2nd round draft pick his first year as GM. Watson getting traded also had nothing to do with getting CJ Stroud (I know you didn't specifically say this, I'm saying it). It had to do with getting Will Anderson. So, while it did make the team better, they would have been fine without the Watson picks. 

If teams didn't gameplan for them, that's their fault. They literally had a rookie QB and a rookie coach, won the division, and won a playoff game. You pretend 10-7 isn't impressive with all that happening. Anyone important in football disagrees with you. You are being biased because you are a Colts fan. 

Ballard has been the GM 7 years going on 8 now, and his best year wasn't that good. We also traded down from 3 to 6 in 2018 and managed to get 3 extra 2nd round picks. Drafted good players with them, but it ended up worthless in the end with how we've done. Caserio has done in 3 years what Ballard has done in 7. That is a fact. Not only that, Stroud is more developed at this point than AR, so they are actually ahead of us at the QB position already, and we're assuming AR will be a hit (which isn't a guarantee). At least for the Texans, there's some evidence that Stroud will be a hit. 

You are dead wrong here and you sound like a salty Colt fan. At least I can admit when another team does well and our FO is bad. Grow up, give credit where it's deserved, and quit being an immature fan. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yoshinator said:

Them being the worst franchise for several years had nothing to do with Caserio. He was fixing the team right when he got there. No 1st or 2nd round draft pick his first year as GM. Watson getting traded also had nothing to do with getting CJ Stroud (I know you didn't specifically say this, I'm saying it). It had to do with getting Will Anderson. So, while it did make the team better, they would have been fine without the Watson picks. 

If teams didn't gameplan for them, that's their fault. They literally had a rookie QB and a rookie coach, won the division, and won a playoff game. You pretend 10-7 isn't impressive with all that happening. Anyone important in football disagrees with you. You are being biased because you are a Colts fan. 

Ballard has been the GM 7 years going on 8 now, and his best year wasn't that good. We also traded down from 3 to 6 in 2018 and managed to get 3 extra 2nd round picks. Drafted good players with them, but it ended up worthless in the end with how we've done. Caserio has done in 3 years what Ballard has done in 7. That is a fact. Not only that, Stroud is more developed at this point than AR, so they are actually ahead of us at the QB position already, and we're assuming AR will be a hit (which isn't a guarantee). At least for the Texans, there's some evidence that Stroud will be a hit. 

You are dead wrong here and you sound like a salty Colt fan. At least I can admit when another team does well and our FO is bad. Grow up, give credit where it's deserved, and quit being an immature fan. 

What on earth are you even babbling about?  The Houston Texans are in no better position than the Indianapolis Colts are.   If i'd be "salty" about any team, it would be a team that's much better than the Houston Texans.  The only one in this exchange coming across as anything, is you as a delusional Texan fanboy.