Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is NIL a Positive or Negative?

I have seen this mentioned in a couple different posts but could not find a dedicated topic on this.  

Looking for thoughts on NIL.  Personally I’m not a fan.  I think it sends the wrong message to high school kids that all they need to do is make it to D1.  

What’s a kids real incentive to work their tails off and get good enough to go pro when they can simply make it to D1 and become a multi millionaire?  

How many talented kids are just going to take the NIL money and never go pro because it’s easier and doesn’t require them to put their body on the line into their early 30’s?  

How many of these kids and their families are no longer worried about them getting an education and contributing something tangible when they can take the money and run? 

We don’t give kids millions of dollars to make it to MIT and contribute to research and development of things that actually improve our lives.  Why is it ok to do this for athletes? 

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Actually a neutral number.

Nil = zero

So neither positive nor negative. Lol.

To the the point, I think it is a step in the right direction but their has to be better oversight and rules governing it. It's a complete mess right now.

College athletes deserve to be paid. Don't think anyone is argue that, these colleges make millions and millions of these athletes.

I never liked that players had to sit out a season when transferring, so that is a plus as well 

A coach doesn't have to sit out, why should a player?

On 1/24/2024 at 8:09 PM, w87r said:

Actually a neutral number.

Nil = zero

So neither positive nor negative. Lol.

To the the point, I think it is a step in the right direction but their has to be better oversight and rules governing it. It's a complete mess right now.

College athletes deserve to be paid. Don't think anyone is argue that, these colleges make millions and millions of these athletes.

I never liked that players had to sit out a season when transferring, so that is a plus as well 

A coach doesn't have to sit out, why should a player?

i pretty much disagree.   The players (on scholarship) are getting paid already.  They are also using the NCAA to advance their career to a pro level.  

• Like 2

On 1/23/2024 at 10:32 PM, ArmchairQB said:

I have seen this mentioned in a couple different posts but could not find a dedicated topic on this.  

Looking for thoughts on NIL.  Personally I’m not a fan.  I think it sends the wrong message to high school kids that all they need to do is make it to D1.  

What’s a kids real incentive to work their tails off and get good enough to go pro when they can simply make it to D1 and become a multi millionaire?  

How many talented kids are just going to take the NIL money and never go pro because it’s easier and doesn’t require them to put their body on the line into their early 30’s?  

How many of these kids and their families are no longer worried about them getting an education and contributing something tangible when they can take the money and run? 

We don’t give kids millions of dollars to make it to MIT and contribute to research and development of things that actually improve our lives.  Why is it ok to do this for athletes? 

Thoughts?

On 1/24/2024 at 2:16 PM, Myles said:

I don't like it and how it has declined my interest in college sports.

I'm not sure that NIL in and of itself is the issue, if a college player can make money by endorsing a product, fine.  I think that the bigger issue is the NIL collectives that are now getting involved in the recruiting of players and enticing them to transfer, especially now that the transfer rules are so liberal.  It is becoming pay for play and a player can transfer almost any time that they want, if they get a bigger NIL offer from one of the collectives.  The colleges may need to have contracts with the players that sign on to play for them, not unlike contracts professional teams have with their players.  I also think that if there are not changes to the college system there will come a time when very good coaches will either retire in their prime or leave for the NFL rather then deal with the morass that is college football.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/1/2024 at 6:28 PM, Cynjin said:

I'm not sure that NIL in and of itself is the issue, if a college player can make money by endorsing a product, fine.  I think that the bigger issue is the NIL collectives that are now getting involved in the recruiting of players and enticing them to transfer, especially now that the transfer rules are so liberal.  It is becoming pay for play and a player can transfer almost any time that they want, if they get a bigger NIL offer from one of the collectives.  The colleges may need to have contracts with the players that sign on to play for them, not unlike contracts professional teams have with their players.  I also think that if there are not changes to the college system there will come a time when very good coaches will either retire in their prime or leave for the NFL rather then deal with the morass that is college football.

I also think players should have to pay their original school back the scholarship they accepted and used. 

As long as the athletes are fulfilling their athletic obligations that they were originally signed up for, that is all that I truly care.

You do have to closely monitor any association with gambling and like @w87r said, more rules in place governing the same. It might also lead to lesser athletes being taken advantage of by signing deals that aren't in their best interest.

It’s going to change the game in a way that none of us like, I can almost guarantee that. There is a reason some of the top coaches are retiring or looking to bolt to the nfl. I would too. 

The entire thing is in the benefit of the player. And I don’t necessarily disagree with it, because they have been taken advantage of. When Texas a & m is allowed to profit a reported $500 million off one player in Johnny Football Manziel, and he doesn’t see a single dime of it, the system is completely broken. This isn’t about education, it’s about money. It always has been. So the sorry old “but they get a free education” argument just never held weight. These top athletes weren’t there for education. They were there to win and bring in the dollars.  

On 2/19/2024 at 2:12 PM, Myles said:

I also think players should have to pay their original school back the scholarship they accepted and used. 

Why? Did they not fulfill their agreement to being an athlete for the year they were there? It’s not a 4 year contract. It’s year to year. The schools can stop it at any time. And the player previously could transfer at any time. The difference is now transfers don’t have to sit out a year. Which was always the case for graduate students. There were too many inconsistencies. 

59 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Why? Did they not fulfill their agreement to being an athlete for the year they were there? It’s not a 4 year contract. It’s year to year. The schools can stop it at any time. And the player previously could transfer at any time. The difference is now transfers don’t have to sit out a year. Which was always the case for graduate students. There were too many inconsistencies. 

I depends.   If they were a no show to class, they should either get a failing grade that should follow them on their transcript or have to reimburse.  Also depends on the scholarship.  Some are offered and accept multi-tear scholarships.  

37 minutes ago, Myles said:

I depends.   If they were a no show to class, they should either get a failing grade that should follow them on their transcript or have to reimburse.  Also depends on the scholarship.  Some are offered and accept multi-tear scholarships.  

that’s the case for most programs in America. Have you ever seen the essay the leaked from North Carolina. 

They are not held to the same standards by the schools. It’s a joke.