Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 2024 Draft Pick

compuls1v3

Colts 2024 Pick  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What will the Colts do with their draft pick at 15?

• Trade it for a player?
    • Trade down in the draft for more picks?

4 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

How important is CB if we play zone most of the time? Linebacker and Edge would be more important for us to draft wouldnt it be?

The whole league plays a lot of zones these days and CBs still go high.  According to pff almost every team plays zones more than half the time with the colts being around 60%

Its still important enough to take with our first pick if the right player is there.  

On 1/17/2024 at 9:30 PM, Patrick Miller said:

He’s going to shock everyone as he trades up and gets Marvin Harrison Junior. Time to break out number 88 again!

He made trade up and I dont think that Harrison is slam dunk best wr in the draft when all said and done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlackTiger said:

The whole league plays a lot of zones these days and CBs still go high.  According to pff almost every team plays zones more than half the time with the colts being around 60%

Its still important enough to take with our first pick if the right player is there.  

The Colts only play zone about 60 percent?    Really?    The way our defense is discussed negatively around here, you’d think it was 90 percent.    I’m stunned to learn the Colts play man about 40 percent of the time.  

Thanks for the good 411. 

2 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

Do you have a source?

Earlier this season someone posted a chart showing which coverages all the NFL teams used and how frequently they used them. I think we were in cover 3 57% of the time (IIRC) followed by another highly used zone scheme (quarters?). We were definitely not using man 40% of the time. More like 10%.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Keep the pick, Take best WR or CB, and take whichever position you passed on in the 1st, in the second. Need a LB that is a beast, run and coverage next, even if a round trade-up is necessary. OK with tradind down once round 4 starts, but this draft needs to hit on the first 3 as starters.

19 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

show me source because no way do the colts play man 40% of the time. We play a lot more then 60% zone for sure. Id say we run about at least like 85% zone.

1 hour ago, tweezy32 said:

show me source because no way do the colts play man 40% of the time. We play a lot more then 60% zone for sure. Id say we run about at least like 85% zone.

18 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Do you have a source?

Earlier this season someone posted a chart showing which coverages all the NFL teams used and how frequently they used them. I think we were in cover 3 57% of the time (IIRC) followed by another highly used zone scheme (quarters?). We were definitely not using man 40% of the time. More like 10%.

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Colts only play zone about 60 percent?    Really?    The way our defense is discussed negatively around here, you’d think it was 90 percent.    I’m stunned to learn the Colts play man about 40 percent of the time.  

Thanks for the good 411. 

Yeah that was a mistake guys.   The 60% was for just cover 3.  

This came from pff and I dont have an account myself.  Someone posted it to nfl reddit a while back

The point of my comment was to say the league in general plays zone now and CBs still go high in the draft

• Thanks 3

Just now, BlackTiger said:

Yeah that was a mistake guys.   The 60% was for just cover 3.  

This came from pff and I dont have an account myself.  Someone posted it to nfl reddit a while back

The point of my comment was to say the league in general plays zone now and CBs still go high in the draft

No worries man, just had me confused. 😄

20 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

Chris Ballard wouldnt do it now but if there was a new GM i could see taking 2-3 QBs in this class in spite of having AR on the team.   Personally i'd rather have Williams or Maye over him

They will go before our pick but I would take them if we could.  They could try Anthony at RB and back up QB, maybe some WR

No team is taking 2-3 QBs over a starter they've invested a lot in. Any GM that does that is going to be fired immediately. People will bring up Rosen but Rosen was not very talented and a locker room headache (AR is not either). I don't get this fixation that AR will fail. Should Josh Allen convert to TE? Should Lamar convert to RB? Should Kyler Murray convert to RB? Should Bryce Young convert to slot WR? He hasn't even completed his rookie deal and people are already writing him off as a failure. I swear, most of this forum would've converted Josh Allen to TE after his not great rookie year. I hate to break it to you but no one at 15 is going to be more talented than Richardson. Like it or not, he's our QB for the future. If you were GM, Colts would go 0-17 every year. 

• Thanks 1

I believe the Nabors, Odunze, and Bowers will be off the board by #15 which will lead to Ballard trading back just enough to land another pick between the #46 and #82 picks. If either of those three are still there at #15 the Colts stay put.  I just watched Kiper and Field Yates breakdown the top 10 WR’s on ESPN draft. Crazy deep.  They did ten and then mentioned how good  Franklin and Corley are even though neither made their top 10. 

I believe the Colts will sign some vets to the secondary along with Stewart, Moore, and Blackmon allowing the Colts to get AR another explosive player or two in the draft along with more defensive talent.  

7 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

I believe the Nabors, Odunze, and Bowers will be off the board by #15 which will lead to Ballard trading back just enough to land another pick between the #46 and #82 picks. If either of those three are still there at #15 the Colts stay put.  I just watched Kiper and Field Yates breakdown the top 10 WR’s on ESPN draft. Crazy deep.  They did ten and then mentioned how good  Franklin and Corley are even though neither made their top 10. 

I believe the Colts will sign some vets to the secondary along with Stewart, Moore, and Blackmon allowing the Colts to get AR another explosive player or two in the draft along with more defensive talent.  

Pittman ?

On 1/22/2024 at 2:55 PM, BlackTiger said:

the lower round corners ballard has drafted have not been good

ballard has in the past liked to trade his high picks for more lower round picks to have more total picks. that way if a pick is a miss no big deal it was only a lower round pick. that is how he has built our team with so many young players.

Daniel Jeremiah Mock Draft 1.0 has us taking Bowers at 15.  I’ve heard others on this forum call for this.  I’m not sure I like taking a TE that high.  It feels like we have greater needs on this team.  I know a lot of people think we need a Dallas Clark type of TE but I like what we saw out of Mallory this year.  Unless you think this guy is “generational” in which case I don’t see him making it to 15.

2 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

ballard has in the past liked to trade his high picks for more lower round picks to have more total picks. that way if a pick is a miss no big deal it was only a lower round pick. that is how he has built our team with so many young players.

Jones and Rodgers were good late rd picks at CB. 

21 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

No team is taking 2-3 QBs over a starter they've invested a lot in. Any GM that does that is going to be fired immediately. People will bring up Rosen but Rosen was not very talented and a locker room headache (AR is not either). I don't get this fixation that AR will fail. Should Josh Allen convert to TE? Should Lamar convert to RB? Should Kyler Murray convert to RB? Should Bryce Young convert to slot WR? He hasn't even completed his rookie deal and people are already writing him off as a failure. I swear, most of this forum would've converted Josh Allen to TE after his not great rookie year. I hate to break it to you but no one at 15 is going to be more talented than Richardson. Like it or not, he's our QB for the future. If you were GM, Colts would go 0-17 every year. 

I never said the team would actually do that.  I would take Williams or maye and not worry about Richardson though

He might be able to play another position.  If not im not worried about him if we had maye or williams