Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mock Draft w/ options

So, I am trying an experiment.  I did a mock draft, but put the next 5 highest rated (per the site) and see how others might have drafted differently.  With no trades.

Get a potential star at LB (has good genes), a backup for now and future replacement for Grover, a shifty YAC WR, didn't find a CB I liked, so got a S, and then backups for the OL.

Round 1 - Jeremiah Trotter Jr., LB Clemson, Height: 6 - 0 | Weight: 230 | RAS: N/A

One year after Clemson boasted Trenton Simpson on the NFL Draft stage, the Tigers have two more potential early-round LB prospects in the 2024 NFL Draft. Jeremiah Trotter Jr. — son of an All-Pro NFL linebacker of the same name — comes in as our second-ranked LB on our preliminary rankings. Another season of production could lock Trotter in this range.

In 2022, Trotter put up 89 tackles, 13.5 TFLs, 6.5 sacks, two picks, and five deflections. At 6’0″, 230 pounds, he’s a dense, well-leveraged linebacker over the middle of the field who offers great instincts and awareness for his age. He has a natural feel for how to combat, evade, and bend around blocks, and he’s a very reliable tackler with sturdy form and closing burst. Early on in 2023, he's also weaponized his searing explosiveness to provide pass-rushing value. 

Options:

J.J. McCarthy, QB Michigan, Height: 6 - 3 | Weight: 196

Jared Verse, EDGE Florida State, Height: 6 - 4 | Weight: 251

Brian Thomas Jr., WR LSU, Height: 6 - 4 | Weight: 205 | RAS: N/A

Amarius Mims, OT Georgia, Height: 6 - 7 | Weight: 330 | RAS: N/A

Tyleik Williams, DT Ohio State, Height: 6 - 3 | Weight: 330 | RAS: N/A

Opinion:  Was really considering Verse or Thomas, but with the release of Leonard, I picked up a potential All Pro LB

Round 2 - T'Vondre Sweat, DT Texas, Height: 6 - 4 | Weight: 346 | RAS: N/A

A mammoth at 6'4" and 346 pounds, T'Vondre Sweat is a force to be reckoned with in the middle of the Texas defense. He makes everything else possible for his teammates, holding up extremely well at the point of attack, even against double teams. He's a big part of the reason the Longhorns had such a massively improved front seven in 2022.

Sweat's stats aren't impressive due to his role, as he's amassed only 124 tackles and five sacks over five seasons. However, his 2023 season was his best yet, consistently getting into the backfield in addition to demanding double teams. We've seen a trend of huge, athletic DTs going in the first, and Sweat looks poised to be the next. 

Options:

Shedeur Sanders, QB Colorado, Height: 6 - 2 | Weight: 216 | RAS: N/A

Trey Benson, RB Florida State, Height: 6 - 1 | Weight: 215 | RAS: N/A

Rod Moore, S Michigan, Height: 6 - 0 | Weight: 185 | RAS: N/A

Will Shipley, RB Clemson, Height: 5 - 11 | Weight: 198 | RAS: N/A

Jaylan Ford, LB Texas, Height: TBD | Weight: TBD | RAS: N/A

Opinion: Moore and Ford were the only 2 other options, but got better value in Sweat.  He could be a beast of an anchor to our defense in future.

Round 3 - Malachi Corley, WR Western Kentucky, Height: 5 - 11 | Weight: 200 | RAS: N/A

Corley is the most unique playmaker in the country. The 5'10", 211-pounder has been nicknamed the "YAC God" for good reason -- he's incredibly gifted with the ball in his hands to a degree we've rarely seen. Corley has excellent contact balance, toughness, and open-field agility, making him a nightmare to tackle.

Used as a slot player who caught a high volume of screen passes, Corley's overall game could be highlighted better. He showed off good focus and strong hands-on downfield routes. But we didn't see it a ton, and his route exposure and polish may be limited in the Hilltoppers' offense.

Nevertheless, Corley's value remains high -- look at Deebo Samuel's impact on the San Francisco 49ers' offense. His acceleration and traits project well to the next level, earning him a solid Day 2 grade entering the offseason.

Options:

Jonathon Brooks, RB Texas, Height: TBD | Weight: TBD | RAS: N/A

Cedric Gray, LB North Carolina, Height: 6 - 2 | Weight: 235 | RAS: N/A

Cole Bishop, S Utah, Height: 6 - 3 | Weight: 200 | RAS: N/A

Jalen McMillan, WR Washington, Height: 6 - 1 | Weight: 182 | RAS: N/A

Adisa Isaac, EDGE Penn State, Height: 6 - 4 | Weight: 244 | RAS: N/A

Opinion: Plenty of options here, but Downs has shown how valuable YAC really is.  

Round 4 - Jaden Hicks, S Washington State, Height: TBD | Weight: TBD | RAS: N/A

The best prospect on the Cougars is Jaden Hicks. The third-year safety is huge, measuring 6'3" and 202 pounds. His first season on the field included 76 tackles, one sack, one interception, and six passes defended.

It's hard to miss Hicks on the field. He's a plus athlete who closes very quickly on the ball in space and as a blitzer. That aggressiveness can be a negative at times in coverage, as he'll overcommit to one direction while backpedaling.

As an instinctive player who finishes plays with physicality, Hicks' value will rise significantly with more confidence and comfort in man coverage. Right now, he's more of a downhill player who is dangerous for offenses to forget about. He has a midround grade entering the offseason.

Options:

Cedric Gray, LB North Carolina, Height: 6 - 2 | Weight: 235 | RAS: N/A

Jaheim Bell, TE Florida State, Height: 6 - 3 | Weight: 230 | RAS: N/A

Blake Corum, RB Michigan, Height: 5 - 8 | Weight: 210 | RAS: N/A

Jamari Thrash, WR Louisville, Height: TBD | Weight: TBD | RAS: N/A

Braden Fiske, DT Florida State, Height: 6 - 5 | Weight: 304 | RAS: N/A

Opinion: Reminds me of a Bob Sanders type physical S, not saying he'll be that good, but need more run support from our backend.

Round 5 - Christian Mahogany, OG Boston College, Height: 6 - 3 | Weight: 332 | RAS: N/A

Options:

Jaylin Noel, WR Iowa State, Height: 5 - 10 | Weight: 190 | RAS: N/A

Jared Wiley, TE TCU, Height: 6 - 6 | Weight: 259 | RAS: N/A

Omar Speights, LB LSU, Height: 6 - 1 | Weight: 235 | RAS: N/A

Benjamin Yurosek, TE Stanford, Height: 6 - 4 | Weight: 243 | RAS: N/A

Tyler Davis, DT Clemson, Height: 6 - 1 | Weight: 308 | RAS: N/A

Opinion: Time to get better backup OL to protect AR, OL from BC usually play well in NFL, if I hadn't taken Trotter Jr in 1st Rd, then Speights would have been my pick.  I think he'll be special (just a feeling)

Round 6 - Anthony Belton, OT NC State, Height: 6 - 5 | Weight: 336 | RAS: N/A

Options:

Theo Johnson, TE Penn State, Height: TBD | Weight: TBD | RAS: N/A

Carson Steele, RB UCLA, Height: 6 - 1 | Weight: 216 | RAS: N/A

Moose Muhammad III, WR Texas A&M, Height: 6 - 1 | Weight: 205 | RAS: N/A

Keith Randolph Jr., DT Illinois, Height: 6 - 5 | Weight: 304 | RAS: N/A

Tyler Warren, TE Penn State, Height: TBD | Weight: TBD | RAS: N/A

Opinion: More backup OL, possibly push for starting role, Steele was intriguing with his size, but I think we're set at RB as long as we're healthy.

Round 7 - Tanor Bortolini, OC Wisconsin, Height: 6 - 4 | Weight: 306 | RAS: N/A

Options:

Keith Randolph Jr., DT Illinois, Height: 6 - 5 | Weight: 304 | RAS: N/A

Jasheen Davis, EDGE Wake Forest, Height: TBD | Weight: TBD | RAS: N/A

Aaron Casey, LB Indiana, Height: TBD | Weight: TBD | RAS: N/A

Gavin Bartholomew, TE Pittsburgh, Height: 6 - 5 | Weight: 250 | RAS: N/A

Brady Cook, QB Missouri, Height: TBD | Weight: TBD | RAS: N/A

Opinion: Replacement for Kelly, OL from WI also usually play well in NFL.

• Like 3

I’m at the same place with LB being at the top of my list this year.  Ballard likes the long ones, though, so I have Edgerrin Cooper at my #1 target.  Seems like we can trade down and still pick him up, which is also something Ballard loves.  I get it, trades require a trade partner, so many people don’t like to assume they can be pulled off.  I like some of your other priorities - DT, IOL, and one more piece at WR…

• Like 1

Some great picks on here, thanks for putting the time in this.

A few thoughts

Trotter has the build for a MLB, and would not seem to have the needed height to play WSLB

Awesome player though,  If you believe the "experts" he should be there in round 2

If Jared Verse is there he would seem to be a good rotational piece at DE, Brian Thomas is going to rise up boards and could fit that needed separation WR1 that this team needs

Sweat has been amazing but it used in 0 and 1 technique.  He seems to be the perfect 3-4 NT, but they would need to run the guy through the agility process to see if he could be effective in a interior 4-3 lineman.  He seems mobile for his size, and is immovable by double team. He would probably be an early down guy.

Corely is an amazing talent but I like our current slot WR.  

I love Hicks as the needed FS that this team is lacking

I am glad you addressed Guard, as we need to keep adding

Again, thanks for doing..... my opinion is just that.... not worth a nickle

• Like 1

2 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Two big needs are WR and CB 

Keon Coleman would be a steal if he were available for our first pick 

I was in on Keon Coleman, but will wait to see his 40 speed at Combine

He is dropping on predraft lists

One of the draft talking heads, said that Coleman was separating against single coverage only 15 %

(They said that Brian Thomas was separating at a rate of 70%)

The single coverage will be much better in the pros

Coleman is a monster on contested catches, but we have one of those already.

I really want a home run threat

• Like 1

13 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

T'Vondre Sweat is on my watch list as well.  We saw how bad things got when Grover was on suspension.  This guy is truly massive.  And could probably stop a tank by himself.

Sweat moves awesome at 360

He would seem like a good Grover rotation, until Grover retires or leaves (He is 30)

If Sweat moves awesome at 360, you wonder how he would do at 325.

If he stays at the current weight, he may be better suited as a NT in a 3 - 4

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 5:04 PM, John Hammonds said:

T'Vondre Sweat is on my watch list as well.  We saw how bad things got when Grover was on suspension.  This guy is truly massive.  And could probably stop a tank by himself.

I honestly can't figure out where in what round he will go. Him as a rotational piece would be insane for our line. Have Bucker and Stewart swap out with Dayo and Sweat. That's a nasty rotation.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Cardinals Received: Pick 15, 113

Colts Received: Pick 27, Pick 35

Raiders Received: Pick 43

Colts Received: Pick 44, 2025 LV 6th

Falcons Received: Pick 35

Colts Received: Pick 43, Pick 74

So, traded back picks as CB tends to do.  Traded picks 15 & 113 for picks 27, 44, 74, & 2025 LV 6th Rd 

Got a big, fast WR, potential WR1, great value in DT to backup / replace Grover, a physical OT, another EDGE to improve pass rush, another WR for competition (not sold on AP - has potential he hasn't shown yet), backup center, a CB, and a backup QB to groom in case AR is injured again.  Milton has the physical build to stand in the pocket and his arm is close to AR's, so play-calling should stay the same.

27. Adonai Mitchell, WR Texas

Height: 6 - 4 | Weight: 194 | RAS: N/A

Mitchell exploded in a bigger role this season, showing off better quickness and more polish than his limited sample size at Georgia. An elite route-runner with a 6'4", 190-pound frame, Mitchell is extraordinarily hard to defend without a second defender nearby.

44. Leonard Taylor, DT Miami (FL)

Height: 6 - 4 | Weight: 305 | RAS: N/A

Since breaking out as a true freshman in 2021, Leonard Taylor III has five sacks and 19 TFLs to his name, along with an interception as a bonus. Alongside Akheem Mesidor and Branson Deen in 2023, he’s only due for more.

As a former five-star recruit, Taylor wears 305 pounds about as well as a player can. His athletic 6’3″ frame affords him a great deal of alignment versatility, which he uses to his advantage. Many of Taylor’s pressures come from angle confusion, athleticism, and pure effort — he’s still trending up with his operational consistency — but he’s a rapid processor off the snap who can channel power with his hands and violently exploit leverage.

46. Jordan Morgan, OT Arizona

Height: 6 - 4 | Weight: 311 | RAS: N/A

There might not be a more athletic tackle in the nation than Jordan Morgan. He was likely set to be a first-round pick in the 2023 class before tearing his ACL in November. He returned to school to prove he's healthy.

Now healthy, he's a fantastic prospect. Morgan takes initiative when blocking and owns most reps because he's so in control of his body. He has great lateral agility and timing with his hands. There's room to improve the angles he'll take in pass protection and handling bull rushes, but those are more technical tweaks than any overhauls.

74. Bralen Trice, EDGE Washington

Height: 6 - 4 | Weight: 269 | RAS: N/A

A gigantic EDGE prospect who can either stand up or have his hand in the dirt, Trice makes every bit of his 270-pound frame be felt when he's attacking blockers. He's a true power end who can jar blockers back and then use an effective swim move that opens the corner for him to race around. Trice is also surprisingly comfortable and fluid when he drops into the flats as a zone defender.

Trice's lack of speed isn't surprising, given his frame, but it zaps his overall upside. He doesn't have the lower-body flexibility to bend around corners, limiting him as a straight-line rusher who really has to rely on his strength. It wouldn't be surprising to see Trice land in the top-50 as a solid contributor for a team already possessing more of the creative type of talent.

82. Devontez Walker, WR North Carolina

Height: 6 - 3 | Weight: 192 | RAS: N/A

Walker has an elite three-trait foundation that elevates his grade: His speed, explosiveness, and high-level catching instincts on the vertical plane, to go along with excellent size at 6’2 1/2″ and 200 pounds.

Once clocked at over 23 miles per hour in a game by Recruiting Analytics, there’s no disputing Walker’s long speed. When he has a runway, he can effortlessly stack defenders on the boundary and gain space. And once he has that space to control leverage, Walker’s incredibly effective at keeping the DB where he wants him and adjusting to the ball.

144. Beaux Limmer, OC Arkansas

Height: TBD | Weight: TBD | RAS: N/A

175. Ja'quan Sheppard, CB Maryland

Height: 6 - 1 | Weight: 194 | RAS: N/A

206. Joe Milton, QB Tennessee

Height: 6 - 5 | Weight: 236 | RAS: N/A

Flashes controlled pocket movements vs. pressure

Big, big arm

Acceleration through throwing motion is insane

The ball gets to the opposite hash instantaneously.

2025 LV 6th

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IndyColtsFan411 said:

Cardinals Received: Pick 15, 113

Colts Received: Pick 27, Pick 35

Raiders Received: Pick 43

Colts Received: Pick 44, 2025 LV 6th

Falcons Received: Pick 35

Colts Received: Pick 43, Pick 74

So, traded back picks as CB tends to do.  Traded picks 15 & 113 for picks 27, 44, 74, & 2025 LV 6th Rd 

Got a big, fast WR, potential WR1, great value in DT to backup / replace Grover, a physical OT, another EDGE to improve pass rush, another WR for competition (not sold on AP - has potential he hasn't shown yet), backup center, a CB, and a backup QB to groom in case AR is injured again.  Milton has the physical build to stand in the pocket and his arm is close to AR's, so play-calling should stay the same.

27. Adonai Mitchell, WR Texas

Height: 6 - 4 | Weight: 194 | RAS: N/A

Mitchell exploded in a bigger role this season, showing off better quickness and more polish than his limited sample size at Georgia. An elite route-runner with a 6'4", 190-pound frame, Mitchell is extraordinarily hard to defend without a second defender nearby.

It's interesting you call him an elite route runner, because what I saw from him it was like all he did was run deep. I think of him as really limited when it comes to routes. I'd like for us to get a WR and I'd prefer he can do more than run deep.

44. Leonard Taylor, DT Miami (FL)

Height: 6 - 4 | Weight: 305 | RAS: N/A

Since breaking out as a true freshman in 2021, Leonard Taylor III has five sacks and 19 TFLs to his name, along with an interception as a bonus. Alongside Akheem Mesidor and Branson Deen in 2023, he’s only due for more.

As a former five-star recruit, Taylor wears 305 pounds about as well as a player can. His athletic 6’3″ frame affords him a great deal of alignment versatility, which he uses to his advantage. Many of Taylor’s pressures come from angle confusion, athleticism, and pure effort — he’s still trending up with his operational consistency — but he’s a rapid processor off the snap who can channel power with his hands and violently exploit leverage.

I like this pick, but I'm higher on T'vondre Sweat, because I think we're looking for back up to Stewart. Our run defense suffers when he's not in. Sweat could challenge for a starter spot I think.

46. Jordan Morgan, OT Arizona

Height: 6 - 4 | Weight: 311 | RAS: N/A

There might not be a more athletic tackle in the nation than Jordan Morgan. He was likely set to be a first-round pick in the 2023 class before tearing his ACL in November. He returned to school to prove he's healthy.

Now healthy, he's a fantastic prospect. Morgan takes initiative when blocking and owns most reps because he's so in control of his body. He has great lateral agility and timing with his hands. There's room to improve the angles he'll take in pass protection and handling bull rushes, but those are more technical tweaks than any overhauls.

I think we're looking for solid depth behind Smith and Raimann, but I don't see us using a 2nd rounder on depth. I do like Morgan though.

74. Bralen Trice, EDGE Washington

Height: 6 - 4 | Weight: 269 | RAS: N/A

A gigantic EDGE prospect who can either stand up or have his hand in the dirt, Trice makes every bit of his 270-pound frame be felt when he's attacking blockers. He's a true power end who can jar blockers back and then use an effective swim move that opens the corner for him to race around. Trice is also surprisingly comfortable and fluid when he drops into the flats as a zone defender.

Trice's lack of speed isn't surprising, given his frame, but it zaps his overall upside. He doesn't have the lower-body flexibility to bend around corners, limiting him as a straight-line rusher who really has to rely on his strength. It wouldn't be surprising to see Trice land in the top-50 as a solid contributor for a team already possessing more of the creative type of talent.

One-trick-ponies rarely amount to a lot when it comes to DEs and Trice is a one-trick-pony. Don't know how he is as a run defender. If he's good there I guess he could be a backup to Paye.

82. Devontez Walker, WR North Carolina

Height: 6 - 3 | Weight: 192 | RAS: N/A

Walker has an elite three-trait foundation that elevates his grade: His speed, explosiveness, and high-level catching instincts on the vertical plane, to go along with excellent size at 6’2 1/2″ and 200 pounds.

Once clocked at over 23 miles per hour in a game by Recruiting Analytics, there’s no disputing Walker’s long speed. When he has a runway, he can effortlessly stack defenders on the boundary and gain space. And once he has that space to control leverage, Walker’s incredibly effective at keeping the DB where he wants him and adjusting to the ball.

144. Beaux Limmer, OC Arkansas

Height: TBD | Weight: TBD | RAS: N/A

175. Ja'quan Sheppard, CB Maryland

Height: 6 - 1 | Weight: 194 | RAS: N/A

206. Joe Milton, QB Tennessee

Height: 6 - 5 | Weight: 236 | RAS: N/A

Flashes controlled pocket movements vs. pressure

Big, big arm

Acceleration through throwing motion is insane

The ball gets to the opposite hash instantaneously.

2025 LV 6th

I'd take Walker over Mitchell.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2023 at 9:46 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Jackson Powers-Johnson. Center for the Oregon Ducks. Id take him in the 2nd round to eventually replace Kelly who has major health concerns with his concussion history and is getting up there in age.

Wonder how long it would take for JPJ to play in the NFL.  I thought John-Michael Schmitz would have a much better season with the Giants than he did but guy like the rest of the Giants OL were horrible.  A year or two learning behind one of the best centers in Kelly would do JPJ some good. 

On 12/19/2023 at 11:37 AM, Archer said:

I’m at the same place with LB being at the top of my list this year.  Ballard likes the long ones, though, so I have Edgerrin Cooper at my #1 target.  Seems like we can trade down and still pick him up, which is also something Ballard loves.  I get it, trades require a trade partner, so many people don’t like to assume they can be pulled off.  I like some of your other priorities - DT, IOL, and one more piece at WR…

ILB linebackers rarely it seems do well in the NFL.  Obviously, some exceptions to every rule.  Sadly the Colts let one of the better ones walk last season with Okereke.  Guess Pat knew what he was talking about Okereke being a future HOF.  At the beginning of the college season. I also had very high hopes for Trotter.  If we were drafting later in Round 1 might be tempted but rather have a generational TE with Bowers or another high potential BPA. 

On 1/16/2024 at 5:22 PM, Solid84 said:

It's interesting you call him an elite route runner, because what I saw from him it was like all he did was run deep. I think of him as really limited when it comes to routes. I'd like for us to get a WR and I'd prefer he can do more than run deep.

I like this pick, but I'm higher on T'vondre Sweat, because I think we're looking for back up to Stewart. Our run defense suffers when he's not in. Sweat could challenge for a starter spot I think.

I think we're looking for solid depth behind Smith and Raimann, but I don't see us using a 2nd rounder on depth. I do like Morgan though.

One-trick-ponies rarely amount to a lot when it comes to DEs and Trice is a one-trick-pony. Don't know how he is as a run defender. If he's good there I guess he could be a backup to Paye.

I'd take Walker over Mitchell.

To be fair, the descriptions of these players were what I copied from the mock draft website (Profootballnetwork.com).  

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 4:19 AM, OhioColt said:

Corleone is returning to the Bearcats for the 2024 season.

Unless we can make him an offer he can't refuse. 😁

On 1/17/2024 at 4:21 AM, OhioColt said:

Wonder how long it would take for JPJ to play in the NFL.  I thought John-Michael Schmitz would have a much better season with the Giants than he did but guy like the rest of the Giants OL were horrible.  A year or two learning behind one of the best centers in Kelly would do JPJ some good. 

"His name is my name too!!"

• Like 1