Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The issues in the red zone

indyagent17

Agreed it is a big issue.

I will say though that when Richardson was the QB scoring in the Redzone or atleast goal to go didn’t seem to be a problem at all and he didn’t even have Taylor.

Now we don’t have Taylor again and Minshew is at QB. IMO it’s more of a player issue than a scheme issue.

Hopefully it will get a bit better over the next couple of weeks.

• Like 3

Definitely concerning, I was furious last game that we didn’t score in the RZ until the final drive. I think we were like 1/5. 

Need to call more fades and back shoulders IMO. Quick throws, get it out.  

Gardner has good touch and we have big athletic WRs. We also need to block better. 

6 minutes ago, cjwhiskers said:

Definitely concerning, I was furious last game that we didn’t score in the RZ until the final drive. I think we were like 1/5. 

Need to call more fades and back shoulders IMO. Quick throws, get it out.  

Gardner has good touch and we have big athletic WRs. We also need to block better. 

Manning  was a pro at fades and back should throws

4 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Manning  was a pro at fades and back should throws

Miss those times, was such a staple. Maybe Gardner can’t get the arc in practice but if that’s the case we just need quicker outs. Too often he holds the ball when in tight which creates the sacks/turnovers. We haven’t really had JT either which is certainly a component of red zone. 

One thing I really appreciated about Peyton was his concept of self-preservation. Would throw it away or go down himself. Sometimes it was frustrating but honestly I think it attributed to the length/health of his career. Live to fight another play. 

Down near the goal line (and in short yardage situations in general) Steichen needs to stop always lining up in the shotgun, and mix it up, by operating from under center, at least occasionally.

I believe lately, the reason we can't seem to get the running game going, is because they always go from the shotgun. 

• Thanks 1

I was upset with Steichen during the game for continuing to run the same plays every red zone sequence. He ran the same concept of run plays as well.

The good news is: We won, & now teams will be selling out for the run down there more on 1st & 2nd down.