Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I am bored draft

Going into this draft, at this stage, I would think the goals would be

1) Dynamic WR to go opposite of Pittman

2) Finally get a Free Safety

3) Improve pass rush

4) Depth at CB

5) Depth at OL (G/C)

I ran this a few times on a draft simulator and came up with the following: (No trades)

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/

image.png.0204abd5440528a5b55ad20facdea47b.png

You may ask, WHY would we go DT in round 1?

At Illinois, Newton is one of the top producers at 7.5 sacks and 39 pressures

Jared Verse , a consideration for EDGE as well, has 7 sacks and just 18 pressures

He also lines up at LDE as well as his normal interior position

I could see him taking snaps at LDE and then moving in to play one of the tackle spots 

This guy is an absolute beast and nearly impossible to block 1 on 1.

This guy would seem to have pro bowl written all over him.  

Pick Number two Xavier Legette will be flying up draft boards

Its said that he run a sub 4.4 40   at 6 foot 3 and 227 lbs he is a handful (TE size)

He had 71 catches and 1255 yards with 7 TDs......  He drew the double team always at SC

My 3rd pick is a FS that is said to be able to play zone or headup on TE

Let me know your thoughts..... very early, but this gives us an improved pass rush, a WR1, and a needed FS

My next 2 picks were for depth at LB and CB

image.png

• Like 2

On 11/28/2023 at 9:26 AM, KB said:

I think the best thing we can do this year is not key in on positions to fill, we need playmakers. Swing for the fences this draft.

Respectfully, I think the PURE BPA isnt realistic

Would we go QB in round 1 if one was available?

OT, LG, RB ?

I think it almost always is a BPA in combination AS WELL as in a position of need

Especially your top picks

For example with Jones coming along we may not have to go CB early.......

but if a cant miss CB came along you take him

In my first mock I took Zerhan, because another DL that provides pressure could always be welcome.

In regards to needs

This team VERY MUCH needs a "separation" WR1

This team VERY MUCH needs a playmaking FS

This team needs depth at CB, OG, DL, LB 

If we done get a FS and a WR (Deep WR class), I would personally be disappointed

I can see Ballard trading back in round 1, as there should be an excellent WR still available at the end of round 1 

3 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think the pure BPA isnt realistic

Would we go QB in round 1 if one was available?

OT, LG, RB ?

I think it almost always is a BPA in combination AS WELL as in a position of need

For example with Jones coming along we may not have to go CB early.......

but if a cant miss CB came along you take him

This team VERY MUCH needs a "separation" WR1

This team VERY MUCH needs a playmaking FS

This team needs depth at CB, OG, DL, LB 

If we done get a FS and a WR (Deep WR class), I would personally be disappointed

I agree that BPA has to be used within reason. If we went true BPA we would probably end up woth a Rd 1 tackle this year. Everything has a limit and is to be used within reason.

I'm say that we need playmakers as in the roster is fairly solid, it's just missing top end talent. Swing for the fences this draft to try and bring some monsters to the team.

Assuming we maintain the interior of our d line with Buckner and Stewart, I would be perfectly fine with us picking Newton out of Illinois. If it ends up being a WR that seems like he's gonna take this offense to another level, awesome. Ballhawking safety, would love it. I'm not loving the edge class. 

The within reason for BPA this year would be things like offensive tackles and QBs. We are good in that department until we're not so let's pass them up. I think we're safe from picking a guard early too. Center and backup NT I'd say go for it if they can make the team better. Stewart needs a backup anyways.

• Like 1

I did this draft (At 21) and traded with the Giants to move into earlier 2nd round pick

This gives us a dominant player that can line up all over the DL ......  

Get a starting WR and starting FS as well as get a Center (that can play guard) to learn the trade from current team

image.png.6ef9d443bd283f963ea57ecd0ecc867f.png

On 11/26/2023 at 12:59 PM, MikeCurtis said:

Going into this draft, at this stage, I would think the goals would be

1) Dynamic WR to go opposite of Pittman

2) Finally get a Free Safety

3) Improve pass rush

4) Depth at CB

5) Depth at OL (G/C)

I ran this a few times on a draft simulator and came up with the following: (No trades)

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/

image.png.0204abd5440528a5b55ad20facdea47b.png

You may ask, WHY would we go DT in round 1?

At Illinois, Newton is one of the top producers at 7.5 sacks and 39 pressures

Jared Verse , a consideration for EDGE as well, has 7 sacks and just 18 pressures

He also lines up at LDE as well as his normal interior position

I could see him taking snaps at LDE and then moving in to play one of the tackle spots 

This guy is an absolute beast and nearly impossible to block 1 on 1.

This guy would seem to have pro bowl written all over him.  

Pick Number two Xavier Legette will be flying up draft boards

Its said that he run a sub 4.4 40   at 6 foot 3 and 227 lbs he is a handful (TE size)

He had 71 catches and 1255 yards with 7 TDs......  He drew the double team always at SC

My 3rd pick is a FS that is said to be able to play zone or headup on TE

Let me know your thoughts..... very early, but this gives us an improved pass rush, a WR1, and a needed FS

My next 2 picks were for depth at LB and CB

image.png

I disagree  with this hopefully  we go with a more dynamic  wr like nabers or Coleman 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stephen said:

I disagree  with this hopefully  we go with a more dynamic  wr like nabers or Coleman 

Thanks for the comment, and I dont disagree too much, but This came from a mock draft simulator and Coleman and Nabors were already picked ahead. (If I remember correctly)

As mentioned in my notes - We NEED a deep threat WR....

From my opinion, if it works out as such, (Which isnt worth much :) )additional pass rush can only help this defense, this guy plays much like Aaron Donald. And lines up all over the place. He takes over games.  We dont have that on the defense today.

At our current, pick of 21, Coleman and Nabors will be long gone as well.

7 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Thanks for the comment, and I dont disagree too much, but This came from a mock draft simulator and Coleman and Nabors were already picked ahead. (If I remember correctly)

As mentioned in my notes - We NEED a deep threat WR....

From my opinion, if it works out as such, (Which isnt worth much :) )additional pass rush can only help this defense, this guy plays much like Aaron Donald. And lines up all over the place. He takes over games.  We dont have that on the defense today.

At our current, pick of 21, Coleman and Nabors will be long gone as well.

Trade up for them lol the wr from that mock draft isn't  as polished as some of the others in this class. While he has size and speed his tape isn't  as impressive. I want a wr that will be in rookie of year convo not one that may take a while like pierce

Hey MikeCurtis, I did this mock with some of your picks in mind.  Let me know what you think.  I think this draft would result in 3-4 starters (Newton, Legette, Casey, James).  I think Allen would be great backup, possible future replacement of Moss.  Gives us our big RB for goal line stands.

21. Jer'Zhan Newton, DT Illinois

Height: 6 - 2 | Weight: 290 | RAS: N/A

Jer'Zhan Newton is coming off a career-best campaign that saw him earn 61 tackles, 14 tackles for loss, 5.5 sacks, three pass deflections, and two fumble recoveries. At 6’2″, 295 pounds, he has the versatility to rush inside or use burst, ankle flexion, and active, surgical hands to work around the apex. Through it all, he’s strong and stout enough to disrupt in the run game as well.

Newton is best alongside a nose tackle who can encumber blocks, but he himself is unnaturally proficient at prying through congestion and squirming through blocks to make stops. Newton’s hyper-elite flexibility is a 1-of-1 trait that makes him a perplexingly slippery opponent for even the strongest offensive linemen.

55. Xavier Legette, WR South Carolina

Height: 6 - 3 | Weight: 227 | RAS: N/A

Calling Xavier Legette a late-bloomer seems like an understatement. Legette wasn't on anyone's radar in the NFL Draft world aside from his explosive kick return potential. The 6'3", 227-pound receiver is a height/weight/speed anomaly who will receive more than a few DK Metcalf comps during the draft process. He's unbelievably explosive. In fact, he'll likely be one of the fastest player at the draft, even at nearly 230 pounds. And he doesn't turn like a cruise ship as a route runner, either. But his most impressive attribute is his high-point ability and vice grip hands in contested and aerial situations.

86. D.J. James, CB Auburn

Height: 6 - 1 | Weight: 174 

117. Braelon Allen, RB Wisconsin

Height: 6 - 2 | Weight: 238 | RAS: N/A

Has elite overall size, and will be just 20 years old as an NFL rookie.

Can easily absorb and bounce off solo hits with his tightly-packed midsection.

High-level goal-line back with his size and mass, and can plow through the trenches.

151. Christian Mahogany, OG Boston College

Height: 6 - 3 | Weight: 332

182. Aaron Casey, LB Indiana

Height: 6 - 2 | Weight: 236

213. Lathan Ransom, S Ohio State

Height: 6 - 1 | Weight: 205 

2 hours ago, IndyColtsFan411 said:

Hey MikeCurtis, I did this mock with some of your picks in mind.  Let me know what you think.  I think this draft would result in 3-4 starters (Newton, Legette, Casey, James).  I think Allen would be great backup, possible future replacement of Moss.  Gives us our big RB for goal line stands.

21. Jer'Zhan Newton, DT Illinois

Height: 6 - 2 | Weight: 290 | RAS: N/A

Jer'Zhan Newton is coming off a career-best campaign that saw him earn 61 tackles, 14 tackles for loss, 5.5 sacks, three pass deflections, and two fumble recoveries. At 6’2″, 295 pounds, he has the versatility to rush inside or use burst, ankle flexion, and active, surgical hands to work around the apex. Through it all, he’s strong and stout enough to disrupt in the run game as well.

Newton is best alongside a nose tackle who can encumber blocks, but he himself is unnaturally proficient at prying through congestion and squirming through blocks to make stops. Newton’s hyper-elite flexibility is a 1-of-1 trait that makes him a perplexingly slippery opponent for even the strongest offensive linemen.

55. Xavier Legette, WR South Carolina

Height: 6 - 3 | Weight: 227 | RAS: N/A

Calling Xavier Legette a late-bloomer seems like an understatement. Legette wasn't on anyone's radar in the NFL Draft world aside from his explosive kick return potential. The 6'3", 227-pound receiver is a height/weight/speed anomaly who will receive more than a few DK Metcalf comps during the draft process. He's unbelievably explosive. In fact, he'll likely be one of the fastest player at the draft, even at nearly 230 pounds. And he doesn't turn like a cruise ship as a route runner, either. But his most impressive attribute is his high-point ability and vice grip hands in contested and aerial situations.

86. D.J. James, CB Auburn

Height: 6 - 1 | Weight: 174 

117. Braelon Allen, RB Wisconsin

Height: 6 - 2 | Weight: 238 | RAS: N/A

Has elite overall size, and will be just 20 years old as an NFL rookie.

Can easily absorb and bounce off solo hits with his tightly-packed midsection.

High-level goal-line back with his size and mass, and can plow through the trenches.

151. Christian Mahogany, OG Boston College

Height: 6 - 3 | Weight: 332

182. Aaron Casey, LB Indiana

Height: 6 - 2 | Weight: 236

213. Lathan Ransom, S Ohio State

Height: 6 - 1 | Weight: 205 

I like it

The big stat on Zer'han is pressures, where he is one of the leaders in NCAA

Sack is best, but pressures cause turnovers and ends drives.

Interior pressure is tough on the QB

In my opinion. on early downs, he would line up at one of the DE spots (LDE probably)

He did this at Illinois He would move inside on passing downs next to Buckner

I love the Leggett pick.....  He is said to run a 4.35 40.....

That would actually Pittman better, as they HAVE to watch Leggett

This week, we faced an 8 man box on almost every play. When we didnt, we could run the ball

A guy like Leggett would stop the 8 man box almost immediately

The ONLY thing I would change is to get the best Free safety available, ve taking the RB 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Superman said:

Why wouldn't we??

Many folks (Maybe most) want a WR first 

We need a WR, but we could take a DL with pick 1 (If they slide to us)

One of these may slide to us Latu, Verse, Newton and trade up to get one of the WR1s in early round 2

One of these guys should be available then - Leggett, Brian Thomas, AD Mitchell, Egbuka, Worthy, Franklin 

On 12/2/2023 at 4:41 PM, Stephen said:

Trade up for them lol the wr from that mock draft isn't  as polished as some of the others in this class. While he has size and speed his tape isn't  as impressive. I want a wr that will be in rookie of year convo not one that may take a while like pierce

LOL indeed. Ballard ain't trading up for a WR when he wouldn't go up from No.4 to No.1 for a QB. 

Very good draft, @MikeCurtis

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

LOL indeed. Ballard ain't trading up for a WR when he wouldn't go up from No.4 to No.1 for a QB. 

Very good draft, @MikeCurtis

Chad if you read thru the posts, I spoke about trading back in round 1 (Especially if we pick at 15)

AND

If we have to, IF we go non WR in round 1, we MAY need to trade UP in round 2 to get the WR we need

JUST like we did to get JT

Not sure why thats funny......  

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Chad if you read thru the posts, I spoke about trading back in round 1 (Especially if we pick at 15)

AND

If we have to, IF we go non WR in round 1, we MAY need to trade UP in round 2 to get the WR we need

JUST like we did to get JT

Not sure why thats funny......  

It was in reference to Stephen. Nabers and Coleman will be long gone, like you said. That is who Stephen wanted.

In that case, if we want them, a trade up in Round 1 is very unlike Ballard. But since I didn't read all the details of the posts, I missed out the fact that you wanted to trade up in Round 2 and not Round 1. So I thought Stephen was suggesting we trade up in Round 1 for Nabers and Coleman and I chuckled out loud thinking "fat chance".

My bad for not keeping up with the nuances of everything. 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

It was in reference to Stephen. Nabers and Coleman will be long gone, like you said. That is who Stephen wanted.

In that case, if we want them, a trade up in Round 1 is very unlike Ballard. But since I didn't read all the details of the posts, I missed out the fact that you wanted to trade up in Round 2 and not Round 1. So I thought Stephen was suggesting we trade up in Round 1 for Nabers and Coleman and I chuckled out loud thinking "fat chance".

My bad for not keeping up with the nuances of everything. 

15 yard penalty!!  :)

If there is a a cant miss player of need at 21, you have to take him. Some excellent  folks on the DL or CB may slide to our slot)

If this happens.... we STILL desperately need the WR, which could be had early in round 2 (Maybe not late)

THATS what I meant by trading up

This is supposedly one of the deepest WR classes in awhile

8 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

15 yard penalty!!  :)

If there is a a cant miss player of need at 21, you have to take him. Some excellent  folks on the DL or CB may slide to our slot)

If this happens.... we STILL desperately need the WR, which could be had early in round 2 (Maybe not late)

THATS what I meant by trading up

This is supposedly one of the deepest WR classes in awhile

One thing is clearly standing out is the lack of wide receivers' depth for the Colts.  Outside of targeting Ray-Ray McCloud (49ers) or Braxton Berrios (Dolphins) I do think the Colts could very well invest heavily in the draft for wideout depth mid to late rounds.  Tory Horton would be an ideal replacement for McKenzie, Malik Washington to replace Dulin potentially, and Hayden Hatten might very well be this year's Puka am predicting.   Roman Wilson would also round out my list of draft targets as a WR-Z option with an * on TE/WR Oronde Gadsden II (Syracuse) who was decent as a run-blocker and better than most with a 117.8 QB rating when targeted. 

Obviously would love to have Odunze or Nabers.  Could make a case for Coleman, Legette, or even Brian Thomas but overall, I think we need a true starting LCB in Round 1 to play opposite of Brents. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OhioColt said:

One thing is clearly standing out is the lack of wide receivers' depth for the Colts.  Outside of targeting Ray-Ray McCloud (49ers) or Braxton Berrios (Dolphins) I do think the Colts could very well invest heavily in the draft for wideout depth mid to late rounds.  Tory Horton would be an ideal replacement for McKenzie, Malik Washington to replace Dulin potentially, and Hayden Hatten might very well be this year's Puka am predicting.   Roman Wilson would also round out my list of draft targets as a WR-Z option with an * on TE/WR Oronde Gadsden II (Syracuse) who was decent as a run-blocker and better than most with a 117.8 QB rating when targeted. 

Obviously would love to have Odunze or Nabers.  Could make a case for Coleman, Legette, or even Brian Thomas but overall, I think we need a true starting LCB in Round 1 to play opposite of Brents. 

I dont disagree

Cooper Dejean "seems" like a Ballard sort of guy. "Cool-aid" is an amazing player as well. Dejean can play all over the defensive backfield. He may actually turn out to be a pro bowl Free Safety

I can see a value from stepping up the CB room, but would wonder if the true shut-down corner might be wasted in this defense. Many teams invest in top tier shut down CB, then they offer more blitzs. 

We blitz very little.

A CB that is fast enough and can tackle is valuable to play zone and support the run to their side when needed

This defense stays in zone more than most teams.  with zone, a play making free free safety position is so very important on this defense, and my hope is that we invest this year in round 2-4

If Jared Verse or Jer'han slid to us, it would be hard for me to pass on them as they both bring MUCH needed pressure.

The WR group is long and talented

If we go defense in round one, my hope is that we move up in round 2, to get a WR (Just like they did with JT)

13 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I dont disagree

Cooper Dejean "seems" like a Ballard sort of guy. "Cool-aid" is an amazing player as well. Dejean can play all over the defensive backfield. He may actually turn out to be a pro bowl Free Safety

I can see a value from stepping up the CB room, but would wonder if the true shut-down corner might be wasted in this defense. Many teams invest in top tier shut down CB, then they offer more blitzs. 

We blitz very little.

A CB that is fast enough and can tackle is valuable to play zone and support the run to their side when needed

This defense stays in zone more than most teams.  with zone, a play making free free safety position is so very important on this defense, and my hope is that we invest this year in round 2-4

If Jared Verse or Jer'han slid to us, it would be hard for me to pass on them as they both bring MUCH needed pressure.

The WR group is long and talented

If we go defense in round one, my hope is that we move up in round 2, to get a WR (Just like they did with JT)

Another FS I like is Trey Taylor (Air Force).  After 9 weeks Taylor’s 88.5 coverage grade is second among Group of Five safeties while posting an impressive 78.8 run-defense grade.  Taylor overall PFF grade of 85.8.  

Tonight, just read where Taylor won Jim Thorpe Award which speaks volumes.  Just not sure about the details around his draft availability and military clauses.  Was thinking he would have to serve a minimum of two years before he could enter the NFL. 

As for Kool-Aid did like he was the best PR in the Power 5 last season and high incompletion rate. 

Before this season was very high on Kinchens at FS but think as this season progressed, he regressed, and I have downgraded him.  

Calen Bullock would be another viable FS but biggest knock on him has been his tackling and run-defense.

Obviously very high on Jaylin Simpson (Auburn) as an option for the Colts.

If a team is looking for a SS than can't go wrong with either Tyler Nubin or Javon Bullard.

I do need to research Michigan's Rod Moore more but do like his low missed tackle rate and appears to be another strong candidate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

I do think we need to invest in a scat back to catch screens and be a good 3rd down back.

Will Shipley of Clemson, that dude is shifty and should be there on Day 3.

I would agree with that   

We dont seem to use Taylor in that manner this year.

We have Evan Hull, who seemed very good in that role in the preseason

On 12/14/2023 at 8:28 PM, OhioColt said:

Another FS I like is Trey Taylor (Air Force).  After 9 weeks Taylor’s 88.5 coverage grade is second among Group of Five safeties while posting an impressive 78.8 run-defense grade.  Taylor overall PFF grade of 85.8.  

Tonight, just read where Taylor won Jim Thorpe Award which speaks volumes.  Just not sure about the details around his draft availability and military clauses.  Was thinking he would have to serve a minimum of two years before he could enter the NFL. 

As for Kool-Aid did like he was the best PR in the Power 5 last season and high incompletion rate. 

Before this season was very high on Kinchens at FS but think as this season progressed, he regressed, and I have downgraded him.  

Calen Bullock would be another viable FS but biggest knock on him has been his tackling and run-defense.

Obviously very high on Jaylin Simpson (Auburn) as an option for the Colts.

If a team is looking for a SS than can't go wrong with either Tyler Nubin or Javon Bullard.

I do need to research Michigan's Rod Moore more but do like his low missed tackle rate and appears to be another strong candidate. 

Trey Taylor Video

Looks good

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

After seeing what Cross did, I don’t think we need another FS. We need a SS and preferably one who is good against the run.

I hope Cross continues to get better .....

Maybe we end up with WR, CB, LB and rotational pass rush DE in this draft, and we go BPA when we draft from this group 

31 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

From my fan perspective I think we need to get in this draft

WR1

Play making Free safety

LB

I think the need for WR is 3rd now. Cross with the way he's been playing, I would put safety behind WR. When Grove went out our defense suffered alot. I think a road grader DT is priority, but don't think it requires a 1st round pick unless your replacing Grove. Only position I see worth 1st round that we need is sure fire can't miss MLB. Besides that just depth. 

Who is the best MLB coming out this year?

1 hour ago, Matabix said:

I think the need for WR is 3rd now. Cross with the way he's been playing, I would put safety behind WR. When Grove went out our defense suffered alot. I think a road grader DT is priority, but don't think it requires a 1st round pick unless your replacing Grove. Only position I see worth 1st round that we need is sure fire can't miss MLB. Besides that just depth. 

Who is the best MLB coming out this year?

I feel very confident in 44 as MLB for this team, so I wouldnt want to replace him

We do need a SSLB or WSLB depending on where Speed plays

We need a 3rd outside LB and their are a few available in round 2 or 3

4 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I feel very confident in 44 as MLB for this team, so I wouldnt want to replace him

We do need a SSLB or WSLB depending on where Speed plays

We need a 3rd outside LB and their are a few available in round 2 or 3

I like 44, but I think he's average and the system makes him look good. His coverage isn't great, but he's awesome at the run. I think out of all 25 starting spots. MLB is one position I think can be upgraded greater than any.

30 minutes ago, Matabix said:

I like 44, but I think he's average and the system makes him look good. His coverage isn't great, but he's awesome at the run. I think out of all 25 starting spots. MLB is one position I think can be upgraded greater than any.

We may disagree a bit on Zaire, He is turning into an excellent MLB (IMHO)

If we replace Zaire, that would mean that we would need to backfill 2 LB positions

Speed has moved to WSLB and I think he is getting better.  We are left with a SSLB spot that could be filled by a number of LBs

I really like these 2 to be SSLB on this team

3. Smael Mondon – Georgia - Round 2 or 3  (Borrowed writeup)

I could see Mondon have one of the best, if not the best 40 of a linebacker at the combine. At 6’3”, around 230 lbs, teams that need a linebacker to drop back in coverage will keep an eye on him. Coming from that vaunted Georgia Bulldogs defense, he not only has the size/speed to help in the back end but also the awareness to make a play on the ball when targets come his way. He may seem to be a bit undersized, and maybe not the best-run defender, but I think he has a ton of upside that could draw a team to target him on day two this year.

7. Junior Colson – Michigan - Round 3 or 4 (Borrowed Writeup)

I don’t see a major deficiency in his game. Colson is solid against the run or pass. My biggest concern is that he can be overly aggressive at times. He’s got solid awareness and is coachable, so NFL teams will get that cleaned up.

• Like 1