Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Way Too Early Mock Draft

This is my most recent draft.

Traded 15 for KC 29, 61 and next year 2nd.

KC drafted Jer'Zhan Newton 

I also mocked a 2023 5th and a conditional 2024 3rd that could become a 2nd depending on play time for Kyle Pitts TE (Falcons).

Logic: the Falcons did a similar trade with Calvin Ridley 

Colts Logic: Anthony Richardson looks up to Cam Newton and Lamar Jackson. Both QBs organizations paired them with some all pro talent at the TE position. Cam Newton had Greg Olsen & Lamar Jackson has Mark Andrews.

pick 29. Laiatu Latu DE UCLA 

I think his medical may drop him but I have him having a similar impact to Jaelan Phillips DE/LB of the Dolphins 

Pick 49. Leonard Taylor DT Miami 

I think he will be a great rotational piece with Buckner and Grover 

Pick 61. Jaylan Ford LB Texas

Super athletic LB to fill Shaq void

83. Zach Frazier C West Virginia 

potential Ryan Kelly replacement. Going into his last year its time to groom the the next center 

Pick 111 Braelon Allen RB Wisconsin 

A bigger back similar to Brian Robinson from Washington 

Pick 145 goes to Falcons

image.png.063d13432a7000aabbde4195b8fa372e.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did another mock, just seeing what options we have at our current position.  I have addressed 3 of the issues I think Colts need help.  Edge, WR, OL.  Let me know what you think.

22. Laiatu Latu, EDGE UCLA

Height: 6 - 4 | Weight: 265 | RAS: N/A

A highly productive and versatile pass rusher who can be effective as a pure edge and as a delayed blitzer, Laiatu Latu has started 2023 with style. He's shown off improved power at the point of attack, opening room to use his deep array of pass-rush moves. While I was concerned with Latu's speed entering the season, he's looking a little quicker and more refined as a pass rusher thus far.

56. Cooper Beebe, OG Kansas State

Height: 6 - 4 | Weight: 322 | RAS: N/A

Arguably the top guard in the 2024 class, Cooper Beebe has a real chance to land in the first round. Beebe is excellent in pass protection thanks to a strong base and consistently well-placed hands inside the chest of the defender's frame. His athleticism is good enough to be routinely featured on pulls, and he effectively landmarks on the second layer of defenses.

Though Beebe isn't an elite athlete, his strength and activity level project to become a very good NFL starter early in his career. 

87. T'Vondre Sweat, DT Texas

Height: 6 - 4 | Weight: 346 | RAS: N/A

A mammoth at 6'4" and 346 pounds, T'Vondre Sweat is a force to be reckoned with in the middle of the Texas defense. He makes everything else possible for his teammates, holding up extremely well at the point of attack, even against double teams. He's a big part of the reason the Longhorns had such a massively improved front seven in 2022.

Sweat's stats aren't impressive due to his role, as he's amassed only 53 tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss, and three sacks in four seasons. His burst off the line hasn't been quite good enough to create his own sack opportunities. If that changes, Sweat could push to be the next Dontari Poe and lock in a top-50 grade.

118. Will Sheppard, WR Vanderbilt

Height: 6 - 3 | Weight: 198 | RAS: N/A

Inspector Gadget Length

Very good inside and outside-shoulder tracking

Great finishing rate on back-shoulder throws

Strong, competitive hands that fight through contact at the catch point.

152. Francisco Mauigoa, LB Miami (FL)

183. Carson Steele, RB UCLA

Height: 6 - 1 | Weight: 216 | RAS: N/A

We don’t often see running backs like Steele. He’s crafty, strong, can take a hit, and keep moving. He has some short-area burst and agility, but he’s also mastered the nuance of being a running back.

The question is how athletic he is compared to starting NFL backs. He’ll have an NFL role because he continues chugging ahead, and his large frame bodes well for his ability to play all three downs.

214. Elijah Jones, CB Boston College

On 12/5/2023 at 5:44 AM, IndyColtsFan411 said:

I did another mock, just seeing what options we have at our current position.  I have addressed 3 of the issues I think Colts need help.  Edge, WR, OL.  Let me know what you think.

22. Laiatu Latu, EDGE UCLA

Height: 6 - 4 | Weight: 265 | RAS: N/A

A highly productive and versatile pass rusher who can be effective as a pure edge and as a delayed blitzer, Laiatu Latu has started 2023 with style. He's shown off improved power at the point of attack, opening room to use his deep array of pass-rush moves. While I was concerned with Latu's speed entering the season, he's looking a little quicker and more refined as a pass rusher thus far.

56. Cooper Beebe, OG Kansas State

Arguably the top guard in the 2024 class, Cooper Beebe has a real chance to land in the first round. Beebe is excellent in pass protection thanks to a strong base and consistently well-placed hands inside the chest of the defender's frame. His athleticism is good enough to be routinely featured on pulls, and he effectively landmarks on the second layer of defenses.

Though Beebe isn't an elite athlete, his strength and activity level project to become a very good NFL starter early in his career. 

87. T'Vondre Sweat, DT Texas

Height: 6 - 4 | Weight: 346 | RAS: N/A

A mammoth at 6'4" and 346 pounds, T'Vondre Sweat is a force to be reckoned with in the middle of the Texas defense. He makes everything else possible for his teammates, holding up extremely well at the point of attack, even against double teams. He's a big part of the reason the Longhorns had such a massively improved front seven in 2022.

Sweat's stats aren't impressive due to his role, as he's amassed only 53 tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss, and three sacks in four seasons. His burst off the line hasn't been quite good enough to create his own sack opportunities. If that changes, Sweat could push to be the next Dontari Poe and lock in a top-50 grade.

118. Will Sheppard, WR Vanderbilt

Height: 6 - 3 | Weight: 198 | RAS: N/A

Inspector Gadget Length

Very good inside and outside-shoulder tracking

Great finishing rate on back-shoulder throws

Strong, competitive hands that fight through contact at the catch point.

152. Francisco Mauigoa, LB Miami (FL)

183. Carson Steele, RB UCLA

Height: 6 - 1 | Weight: 216 | RAS: N/A

We don’t often see running backs like Steele. He’s crafty, strong, can take a hit, and keep moving. He has some short-area burst and agility, but he’s also mastered the nuance of being a running back.

The question is how athletic he is compared to starting NFL backs. He’ll have an NFL role because he continues chugging ahead, and his large frame bodes well for his ability to play all three downs.

214. Elijah Jones, CB Boston College

Thanks for sharing

These draft simulators are a fun to play with.

IMHO (Not worth much)

Latu may slide to us. He has some great measurables as well as well as some concerning medical history

(We would need the team doctors to test him)

Beebe could step in at RG and start day one at RG 

I think Sweat may work better as a NT in a 3-4 than a 4-3 DT. (IMHO)

I also think you MAY want to grab a WR earlier than 4.  Pierce has had one great game.   If he has similar games

the rest of the way, MAYBE we dont need the WR yet

But IMHO  and respectfully

From this draft:

We need a LB to play day one

We need a WR1 to play day one

We need a playmaking FS to play day one

We need depth

This draft can yield all 4

• Like 1

No trades on this mock.  Colts get WR1, a bookend OG to match QN, a potential CB1/2, backup RB that can punch it in at the goalline, athletic, productive LB to replace SL's open slot, then OL and DL depth.  What do you think?

22. Keon Coleman, WR Florida State

Height: 6 - 4 | Weight: 216 | RAS: N/A

Despite volatility at quarterback and up front on the offensive line, Coleman thrived as a true sophomore in 2022. He racked up 58 catches, 798 yards, and seven touchdowns alongside 2023 second-round pick Jayden Reed. He leveraged that second-year production into a transfer opportunity at Florida State.

56. Cooper Beebe, OG Kansas State

87. Caelen Carson, CB Wake Forest

Height: 6 - 0 | Weight: 195

118. Braelon Allen, RB Wisconsin

Height: 6 - 2 | Weight: 238 | RAS: N/A

Has elite overall size, and will be just 20 years old as an NFL rookie.

Can easily absorb and bounce off solo hits with his tightly-packed midsection.

High-level goal-line back with his size and mass, and can plow through the trenches.

152. Omar Speights, LB LSU

Height: 6 - 1 | Weight: 235 | RAS: N/A

Omar Speights logged over 300 total tackles in his career at Oregon State, before transferring to LSU. He's been underrated across that entire span, and he's one of the 2024 NFL Draft's biggest sleepers.

At 6'1", 237 pounds, Speights is a rocked-up second-level defender with impressive mass. That mass amounts to great play strength both as a block destructor and a tackler. But Speights also brings quality burst, range, and short-area agility as a coverage defender, and he's very instinctive when managing the middle of the field. 

183. Tyler Davis, DT Clemson

Height: 6 - 1 | Weight: 308 

214. Roger Rosengarten, OT Washington

Height: 6 - 6 | Weight: 280

OR.......radical mock (just because)  Trades #22 for #26 and #90.  Get a possible Heisman Trophy winning QB that has actually produced and insurance for AR getting hurt again (I hate he got hurt this year), solidify the defense with a LB, DT, and CB that produced for their teams and have great motors, help the OL with depth, possible starters depending on offseason, and a backup RB.

26. Jayden Daniels, QB LSU

56. Barrett Carter, LB Clemson

87. Ruke Orhorhoro, DT Clemson

90. Max Melton, CB Rutgers

118. Delmar Glaze, OT Maryland

152. Christian Mahogany, OG Boston College

183. Jo'Quavious Marks, RB Mississippi State

214. Tanor Bortolini, OC Wisconsin

• 2 weeks later...

This may be my dream mock draft with the Colts current draft position.  No trades, not sure how MHJ fell to our pick, but weird stuff happens all the time (and this is just for fun anyway).

22. Marvin Harrison Jr., WR Ohio State

At 6’4″, 205 pounds, Harrison has all of the necessary physical tools to be a dominating X receiver, and in excess quantities. His frame is long and streamlined. He’s incredibly explosive and agile, with more than enough speed to threaten vertically.

Perhaps most notably, Harrison's rare size-adjusted flexibility, combined with his physicality, allows him to put ill-fated defensive backs into a blender on every down.

Few receivers of Harrison’s size have the hip sink and malleability that he has, and he uses that in tandem with sharp spatial awareness, throttle control, a vast route tree, and footwork efficiency to consistently win one-on-one as a separator. After offsetting at stems, his acceleration is effortless but extreme, and he has the high-level body control and coordination to convert downfield. Overall, he's an uncommon WR prospect who checks all of the boxes. Though he's not a great RAC threat, he's so dominant at the catch point and as a separator, it hardly matters.

56. Cooper Beebe, OG Kansas State

87. Ruke Orhorhoro, DT Clemson

Originally from Nigeria, Ruke Orhorhoro is still relatively green as a football player -- but already, he's become a disruptive and alignment-versatile force for the Clemson defensive line.

At 6'4", 290 pounds, with his combination of elite explosiveness and proportional length, Orhorhoro can generate awe-inspiring amounts of power, and he's a menace in pursuit with his prying strength and closing burst.

118. Johnny Dixon, CB Penn State

152. Omar Speights, LB LSU

Omar Speights logged over 300 total tackles in his career at Oregon State, before transferring to LSU. He's been underrated across that entire span, and he's one of the 2024 NFL Draft's biggest sleepers.

At 6'1", 237 pounds, Speights is a rocked-up second-level defender with impressive mass. That mass amounts to great play strength both as a block destructor and a tackler. But Speights also brings quality burst, range, and short-area agility as a coverage defender, and he's very instinctive when managing the middle of the field.

183. Carson Steele, RB UCLA

214. Will Putnam, OC Clemson

• 3 weeks later...

15. Terrion Arnold, CB Alabama

46. Emeka Egbuka, WR Ohio State

82. McKinnley Jackson, DT Texas A&M

113. Tommy Eichenberg, LB Ohio State

144. Jaden Hicks, S Washington State

175. Beaux Limmer, OC Arkansas

206. Xavier Thomas, EDGE Clemson

This addresses 2 of our biggest needs a shutdown CB and WR1.  I personally think the 1st 5 picks would be immediate contributors, if not starters.  Jackson would probably be depth if Colts keep Grover.  Eichenberg could play his way into a starting position.  What do you guys think?

image.png.6a4256c7676e24fc0a4ea2265fc36e9b.png

This was just picking BPA that fit with our needs.

1.15 - I like Laiatu Latu over Jared Verse and I'm on the don't draft a CB early wagon.

2.46 - Xavier Legette. Talent to WR room.

3.82 - Was hoping to snag a LB here, but the 3 I was eyeing were gone. Solid DI depth is a need too.

4.117 - Future heir to Kelly.

5.153 - SSLB to up coverage at LB.

• Like 1

Which would you prefer?  Mock A, B, or C?  Personally, I would prefer Mock A as it has (seemingly) more high-end talent.  JMO

A - CB 1st priority

B - WR 1st priority

C - Edge 1st priority

Mock A

15. Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB Alabama

46. Jer'Zhan Newton, DT Illinois

82. Tyler Guyton, OT Oklahoma

113. Jackson Powers-Johnson, OC Oregon

144. J. Michael Sturdivant, WR UCLA

175. Aaron Casey, LB Indiana

206. Zion Tupuola-Fetui, EDGE Washington

Mock B

15. Keon Coleman, WR Florida State

46. Cooper Beebe, OG Kansas State

82. Josh Newton, CB TCU

113. T.J. Tampa, CB Iowa State

144. Anthony Belton, OT NC State

175. Jordan Jefferson, DT LSU

206. Steve Linton, EDGE Texas Tech

Mock C

15. Chop Robinson, EDGE Penn State

46. Troy Franklin, WR Oregon

82. Josh Newton, CB TCU

144. Tyler Davis, DT Clemson

175. Ben Bywater, LB BYU

206. Ennis Rakestraw Jr., CB Missouri

4 minutes ago, IndyColtsFan411 said:

Which would you prefer?  Mock A, B, or C?  Personally, I would prefer Mock A as it has (seemingly) more high-end talent.  JMO

A - CB 1st priority

B - WR 1st priority

C - Edge 1st priority

Mock A

15. Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB Alabama

46. Jer'Zhan Newton, DT Illinois

82. Tyler Guyton, OT Oklahoma

144. J. Michael Sturdivant, WR UCLA

175. Aaron Casey, LB Indiana

206. Zion Tupuola-Fetui, EDGE Washington

Mock B

15. Keon Coleman, WR Florida State

46. Cooper Beebe, OG Kansas State

82. Josh Newton, CB TCU

113. T.J. Tampa, CB Iowa State

144. Anthony Belton, OT NC State

175. Jordan Jefferson, DT LSU

206. Steve Linton, EDGE Texas Tech

Mock C

15. Chop Robinson, EDGE Penn State

46. Troy Franklin, WR Oregon

82. Josh Newton, CB TCU

144. Tyler Davis, DT Clemson

175. Ben Bywater, LB BYU

206. Ennis Rakestraw Jr., CB Missouri

With as much zone as we play.... Gus Bradley aka the cover 3 king do you think its wise to go after a lock down CB?

4 minutes ago, Mr. Too Proud said:

With as much zone as we play.... Gus Bradley aka the cover 3 king do you think its wise to go after a lock down CB?

I'm truly hoping Steichen finds a DC that runs a better D than Gus.  Gus is OK, but gave up too many big plays, 3rd & long conversions for my liking.  And, if you can find a lockdown corner that shuts down 1 side of the field, that works for ANY defense.  IMO

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mr. Too Proud said:

Gus Bradley aka the cover 3 king do you think its wise to go after a lock down CB?

I think the outside corners do have a tough responsibly in a base cover 3.  They may face the best opposing WR in the deep zone alone

I think we play off so much so they dont get burned early in the play

I did multiple trades in this mock.  I love the 1st 3 picks, and think it's a pretty good mock addressing our needs and getting starters.

Bengals received pick 15 for picks 18 & 49

Cardinals received picks 18 & 144 for picks 21 &  66

21. Jared Verse, EDGE Florida State

46. Emeka Egbuka, WR Ohio State

49. Sedrick Van Pran, OC Georgia

66. Ruke Orhorhoro, DT Clemson

82. Josh Newton, CB TCU

113. Jaden Hicks, S Washington State

175. Ben Bywater, LB BYU

206. M.J. Devonshire, CB Pittsburgh

• Like 1

I’m currently at this:

Trade down to the mid twenties, picking up a late 2nd.  Then,

1) Edgerrin Cooper, LB, Texas A&M.

2) Kris Abrams-Draine, CB, Missouri

2) Masson Smith, DT, LSU

3) Jackson Powers-Johnson, IOL, Oregon

4) Jalen McMillan, WR, Washington

5) Dylan Laube, RB, New Hampshire

6) Dwight McGlothern, S/CB, Arkansas

7) Jordan Toles, LB/S, Morgan St.

• Like 2

image.png.ed0589ed62eb87969bd79d99c20faa0a.png

Several trade downs to get what I got on profootballnetwork mock draft simulator:

34. Xavier Legette, WR, South Carolina

46. Cooper Beebe, OG, Kansas State

50. Troy Franklin, WR, Oregon

70. Ruke Orhorhoro, DT, Clemson

82. Cole Bishop, S, Utah

113. Khyree Jackson, CB, Oregon

143. Tyrice Knight, LB, UTEP

144. Drake Nugent, OC, Michigan

171. Jordan Jefferson, DT/NT, LSU

174. Erick All, TE, Iowa

• Like 2

Ran a simulation on PFN. 

Traded back with KC. Our 15 for their 26 and 57. 

26 - Edgerring Cooper, LB

46 - T’Vondre Sweat, DT

57 - Xavier Legette, WR

82 - Javon Bullard, S

113 - Payton Wilson, LB

144 - MarShawn Lloyd, RB

I’m really hot on Cooper and I’m willing to get him in the 1st. I also doubled down on LB picking up Wilson as well. Both Cooper and Wilson are stand-out performers in coverage and I think that’s a serious weak spot on our team. 

Sweat is a house. An absolute beast at NT. 

I’m not 100% sold on the idea of getting a WR anymore - especially in the 1st. I think we should give Pierce a chance with AR and then pull the trigger on a WR next season if Pierce still doesn’t get it done. Legette does still add some talent and he will push AP. 

Bullard would be an instant upgrade at FS. 

Lloyd was BPA and it’s never a bad idea to pick up a RB later in the draft in my opinion. He’s not a scrub though. 

• Like 2