Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I agree there. I’m just saying the Colts can be real harsh if they chose too and there’s nothing JT can do about it. In fact, they can also seek a contract suspension simply if they show he’s not been following a team approved medical protocol plan to rehabilitate. It’s crazy all the stuff that they can do if they wanted too. I’m only on page 255/456 too. Lots of reading to go yet. Essentially they could keep him on the shelf for the next 4 seasons and there’s nothing JT can do about it, at all. 

This would be interesting because no need to rehab a healthy ankle. Why would he put himself through rehab if he was healthy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I agree there. I’m just saying the Colts can be real harsh if they chose too and there’s nothing JT can do about it. In fact, they can also seek a contract suspension simply if they show he’s not been following a team approved medical protocol plan to rehabilitate. It’s crazy all the stuff that they can do if they wanted too. I’m only on page 255/456 too. Lots of reading to go yet. Essentially they could keep him on the shelf for the next 4 seasons and there’s nothing JT can do about it, at all. 

Of course…but if they want the best from Taylor and repair the situation then there are much more limited avenues…clearly that’s what they want or they would have traded him. Why keep a disgruntled player that hates your organization and doesn’t want to be there unless you want to fix the situation. They do…and so I doubt we see them going to such extremes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Of course…but if they want the best from Taylor and repair the situation then there are much more limited avenues…clearly that’s what they want or they would have traded him. Why keep a disgruntled player that hates your organization and doesn’t want to be there unless you want to fix the situation. They do…and so I doubt we see them going to such extremes.

Oh I doubt it as well. Honestly I think it’ll depend on how JT conducts himself in the next 4 weeks. 

13 minutes ago, csmopar said:

He would have to take said physical to clear. He can’t simply activate himself. And once he does, he has to be active in game day. If he’s sitting out, he won’t be on an active game day roster. 

So he plays the necessary games (6) and then resumes his holdout. I think what is important is that if he wants…he only has to play 6 games to have his season count. Once he returns and is activated he can hold out at anytime. All the colts can do is take his salary. They can’t put him back on the PUP or IR because he isn’t hurt. I thought the article laid it out pretty clear the options…unless it is incorrect…which could be…it’s the athletic after all. I think it’s correct if he wants to have his year count he has to play at least 6 games. I would think the Colts would rather get something for him than get nothing out of him…but maybe principle is more important to Irsay than winning. Nothing wrong with that but right now we are going to force a guy that doesn’t want to play for the organization to sit out…hurt himself and hurt our teams chance to get better. The longer he sits out the less he is worth it to other teams to pay him but also for other teams to compensate us. It’s a no win for either side imo.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So he plays the necessary games (6) and then resumes his holdout. I think what is important is that if he wants…he only has to play 6 games to have his season count. Once he returns and is activated he can hold out at anytime. All the colts can do is take his salary. They can’t put him back on the PUP or IR because he isn’t hurt. I thought the article laid it out pretty clear the options…unless it is incorrect…which could be…it’s the athletic after all. I think it’s correct if he wants to have his year count he has to play at least 6 games. I would think the Colts would rather get something for him than get nothing out of him…but maybe principle is more important to Irsay than winning. Nothing wrong with that but right now we are going to force a guy that doesn’t want to play for the organization to sit out…hurt himself and hurt our teams chance to get better. The longer he sits out the less he is worth it to other teams to pay him but also for other teams to compensate us. It’s a no win for either side imo.

He doesn’t have to play in 6 games. The Reserve/PUP changes that too. All he needs to do is dress for ONE GAME after coming off PUP for his season to roll. One game. 

the article you linked is from August 1 and does not talk about the Regular season Reserve PUP, which is different than IR and different that the preseason PUP. It’s not that it’s inaccurate, it just doesn’t address the Reserve/PUP , which changes all that stuff. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

And if he does hold out, they can do more than fine if they want. Especially if they have proof he faked his injury to end up on the PuP to begin with. Like I said, it’s a complicated and vast situation but they have far more tools at their disposal than what most people , my self prior to tonight, realized. The CBA is a very interesting read and very plain language, not written in lawyer talk 

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

“A player’s contract will not be suspended and resumed the following season while on the PUP list unless he is in the last year of his contract, unable to perform football activities as of the sixth regular-season game and inactive during the regular season and postseason, according to NFL.com.”

basically, since Taylor is in the last year of his contract, if he’s not back on the field by week 6, colts get another year of him at 4.x million plus still have the tags after that. 

translation: Taylor f-ed himself 

Hey @csmopar I am using your post to try to get clarification from @Superman because I've seen confusion from people of if he misses the first six games on PUP does he get another year added to his contract or is it if he misses 11 games because I’ve seen both posted.  

I read it as six like you but want to make sure.

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Hey @csmopar I am using your post to try to get clarification from @superman because I’ve seen confusion from people of if he misses the first six games on PUP does he get another year added to his contract or is it if he misses 11 games because I’ve seen both posted.  

I read it as six like you but want to make sure.

Article 20, subsection 2 , page 144, states 6 games on Reserve/PUP(which is what he’s officially on as of 4 pm today) and clearly states it with an example. The key here is the clause about being in his final year of his contract. That’s plus the Reserve/PUP list is the key to whether it is 6 games or more. Each list type seems to have a different set of games listed. 

if he holds out and WASNT on the PUP, it would be 11. 

Bottomline, by the end of week 6 of the regular season, JT has to be active on game day at least 1 time in order to become a FA in March. Otherwise, colts get him for another year without having to use the tag. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

And if he does hold out, they can do more than fine if they want. Especially if they have proof he faked his injury to end up on the PuP to begin with. Like I said, it’s a complicated and vast situation but they have far more tools at their disposal than what most people , my self prior to tonight, realized. The CBA is a very interesting read and very plain language, not written in lawyer talk 

How do you prove he faked an injury. He says he has pain even if the scan shows he is fine. A player is injured if he says he is. If I say I have migraines from a concussion that won’t show up on a scan. It’s my word. If I feel pain in my ankle they don’t have to see it for it to really exist. They didn’t have to put him on the PUP. They could have activated him. Said he is too hurt to play and both sides could continue this charade. The Colts benefit from him being on rhe PUP more than Taylor does. It actually hurts Taylor’s value to be traded basically undermining teams offers since he can’t play for 4 weeks. The Colts purposely are playing his game. This way he gets to hold out and get paid and they free up the roster spot. The colts are hoping by not activating him and forcing him to hold out for real costing him game checks they will build goodwill and fix the fractured relationship. I don’t think so. I think he will come back and play begrudgingly and the Colts will let him walk after the year for a compensatory pick.

4 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Interesting tid bit. 

under Article 20, Subsection 2 of the 2020 CBA, it states that a player who is in the final year of their contract, including rookie option years, shall have their contract suspended aka tolled, should they not be placed on the respective Club’s active game day roster by week 6. After week 6, the player can stay on PuP or be place on the Reserve/Injured list, where as his contract will also be suspended if in the final year of his contract provided player was on the PUP at the start of the regular season, and club may reduce salary to that of contracted minimum or fully guaranteed portion. 

Bottomline: Ballard can really put the screws to JT worse than I understood.

still reading but it’s quite clear, the league anticipated this very thing at some point. 

I just found this by you which is a great point and it’s exactly what I would do.  If Taylor wants to play hard ball okay let’s play.  

However, I am trying to reconcile that with what as Schefter said in the quote above from Chloe.  That makes no sense to me.  If the Colts were going to trade him today was the day.  Hard to see offers going up if teams know Taylor is just never going to play for the Colts again.

Article 20, subsection 2 , page 144, states 6 games on Reserve/PUP(which is what he’s officially on as of 4 pm today) and clearly states it with an example. The key here is the clause about being in his final year of his contract. That’s plus the Reserve/PUP list is the key to whether it is 6 games or more. Each list type seems to have a different set of games listed. 

Bottomline, by the end of week 6 of the regular season, JT has to be active on game day at least 1 time in order to become a FA in March. Otherwise, colts get him for another year without having to use the tag. 

So nothing is stopping him from sitting out 6 weeks. Coming back to play a few weeks then saying I’m shutting it down to save my body for next year. His year will still count and the Colts will get only a couple game days. Sounds pretty good for Taylor if that’s me. Can’t imagine the Colts would then tag him next year to go through another year of that mess. They would trade him like he wants.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I just found this by you which is a great point and it’s exactly what I would do.  If Taylor wants to play hard ball okay let’s play.  

However, I am trying to reconcile that with what as Schefter said in the quote above from Chloe.  That makes no sense to me.  If the Colts were going to trade him today was the day.  Hard to see offers going up if teams know Taylor is just never going to play for the Colts again.

Yeah, I think they’re gonna try to calm the waters for the next 3 weeks, then broach this again after a cooling off period. 

one thing to note, being on the PUP, he’s not allowed at practices 

My last offer to Taylor would be giving him a 1 yr, 12M contract replacing his last year of his rookie contract that also guarantees he can't get franchise tagged by us. He can move on to get that long term contract next year that he so desires while still keeping his obligations to his contract. It also makes sure that he gives it his all this year if he wants to impress his future employer. We also potentially get a 3rd comp pick out of it if he plays well this year and moves on.

I really don't see how this can end better than that for him. If all the accolades of how 'smart' he is are true, he should see that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

So nothing is stopping him from sitting out 6 weeks. Coming back to play a few weeks then saying I’m shutting it down to save my body for next year. His year will still count and the Colts will get only a couple game days. Sounds pretty good for Taylor if that’s me. Can’t imagine the Colts would then tag him next year to go through another year of that mess. They would trade him like he wants.

Again, different situations. I’m still reading and I’m far from an expert on this, but the way the CBA talks, if that were to happen, he’d still not get an accumulated season. This is where it gets murky. Sounds like the clock for sitting out while healthy would start AFTER the game he is first activated healthy for AFTER coming off PUP. And if I’m understanding this correctly, he’d have to still play or be on active game day rosters for 8 of those. So if the clock starts say week 6, say he’s activated that week, if I’m understanding the CBA correctly, which I think I am, he’d only be able to sit out three weeks or not have an accrued season. 

3 minutes ago, colts89 said:

My last offer to Taylor would be giving him a 1 yr, 12M contract replacing his last year of his rookie contract that also guarantees he can't get franchise tagged by us. He can move on to get that long term contract next year that he so desires while still keeping his obligations to his contract. It also makes sure that he gives it his all this year if he wants to impress his future employer. We also potentially get a 3rd comp pick out of it if he plays well this year and moves on.

I really don't see how this can end better than that for him. If all the accolades of how 'smart' he is are true, he should see that.

The Colts aren’t going to offer him anything. Why? Why go through all this if they wouldn’t do this to begin with. They wouldn’t negotiate before then why now? They could have offered him a raise this year before the season and said we will revisit after the season long term. They didn’t…they didn’t want to compromise before so I don’t see them now.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think they’re gonna try to calm the waters for the next 3 weeks, then broach this again after a cooling off period. 

one thing to note, being on the PUP, he’s not allowed at practices 

Yeah this is pretty much on hold until we reach week six, he comes off PUP or they work out a trade and just wait until week four to do it.  

i just don’t see how Taylor gets moved without playing for the Colts.  Maybe I am wrong and missing something but at some point I expect Taylor is going to have to play for the Colts to have any kind of chance to get what he wants and even then the Colts have the tag option for two years.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Again, different situations. I’m still reading and I’m far from an expert on this, but the way the CBA talks, if that were to happen, he’d still not get an accumulated season. This is where it gets murky. Sounds like the clock for sitting out while healthy would start AFTER the game he is first activated healthy for AFTER coming off PUP. And if I’m understanding this correctly, he’d have to still play or be on active game day rosters for 8 of those. So if the clock starts say week 6, say he’s activated that week, if I’m understanding the CBA correctly, which I think I am, he’d only be able to sit out three weeks or not have an accrued season. 

Well…better than playing 17 under the bad contract. I’m sure that is what he will do. I’m also pretty sure the Colts might not even run him out there. Given his current mindset..I wouldn’t. I’d just let him stand on the sideline. How good is a guy going to be that doesn’t even want to play for you. Can he sit out practices all week then say he play on game days?? Would you still play a guy that does that. What if after every game he says how bad he hates the organization at the press conference. Point being he can be a cancer and ruin the locker room but still “play”. The Colts must think they can convince him to buy into the team again else why risk all that…just take the trade they got offered.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

How do you prove he faked an injury. He says he has pain even if the scan shows he is fine. A player is injured if he says he is. If I say I have migraines from a concussion that won’t show up on a scan. It’s my word. If I feel pain in my ankle they don’t have to see it for it to really exist. They didn’t have to put him on the PUP. They could have activated him. Said he is too hurt to play and both sides could continue this charade. The Colts benefit from him being on rhe PUP more than Taylor does. It actually hurts Taylor’s value to be traded basically undermining teams offers since he can’t play for 4 weeks. The Colts purposely are playing his game. This way he gets to hold out and get paid and they free up the roster spot. The colts are hoping by not activating him and forcing him to hold out for real costing him game checks they will build goodwill and fix the fractured relationship. I don’t think so. I think he will come back and play begrudgingly and the Colts will let him walk after the year for a compensatory pick.

If he’s looking for a nice new contract then coming back and playing begrudgingly is not going to cut it.  He needs to ball out and generate some good numbers otherwise no one is going to give him a big contract and if they do it won’t be for the money he’s looking for.   It would be a prove it deal.  I think his best strategy for getting a new high paying contract is to have a great year with hopefully no more injuries.  

Well…better than playing 17 under the bad contract. I’m sure that is what he will do. I’m also pretty sure the Colts might not even run him out there. Given his current mindset..I wouldn’t. I’d just let him stand on the sideline. How good is a guy going to be that doesn’t even want to play for you. Can he sit out practices all week then say he play on game days?? Would you still play a guy that does that. What if after every game he says how bad he hates the organization at the press conference. Point being he can be a cancer and ruin the locker room but still “play”. The Colts must think they can convince him to buy into the team again else why risk all that…just take the trade they got offered.

Not without and injury or being fined and if he says he injured the Colts won’t take him off pup or leave him off the active game day roster.

• Like 1

That’s the thing, the Colts determine when to activate him. IF they do, you better bet that they know is not going to hold out. Otherwise, if there’s any indication, they can leave him on PUP or worse yet for Taylor, move him to IR, which because he started in PUP, would result in a suspended contract year as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

And no, if active, he must practice. Infact, there is a minimum acclimation period. 

17 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Thanks for all this information csmopar,it’s very interesting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, csmopar said:

@GoColts8818

What he said.

If JT doesn't get activated from PUP, doesn't play one game this season, his contract tolls, which means he's still in Year 4 of his rookie contract in 2024, and he doesn't become a free agent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

That’s the thing, the Colts determine when to activate him. IF they do, you better bet that they know is not going to hold out. Otherwise, if there’s any indication, they can leave him on PUP or worse yet for Taylor, move him to IR, which because he started in PUP, would result in a suspended contract year as well. 

They can’t leave him on the PUP if he is healthy. That would go to arbitration and Taylor would win. You can’t just keep a guy on PUP to keep him from earning a tenured year. 

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Not without and injury or being fined and if he says he injured the Colts won’t take him off pup or leave him off the active game day roster.

That’s the thing too. Say he comes in week 5, says he’s ready to be activated. The colts can make him practice for 21 days prior to activating him… which means that 3 game hold out period, yeah that just went away. 

Lots of twists in the CBA which was clearly written to give team total control in situations like this. But effectively, JT will either play this season in a substantial amount of games or he’ll ride PUP/IR all season long and be back in the same boat next season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

They can’t leave him on the PUP if he is healthy. That would go to arbitration and Taylor would win. You can’t just keep a guy on PUP to keep him from earning a tenured year. 

That’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying that they control when he comes off PUP, not JT. The CBA is binding. No court will over turn that . And JT likely is faking, which if he did try that, the CBA allows the team, with proof mind you, to seek a suspended contract year as well…

So to summarize where things are:

Taylor is on PUP and will miss at least the first four weeks of the season.

He has to return by week six or his contract is suspended for a year and the Colts own his rights for another year.

He can’t be at practice while on PUP 

The Colts can’t officially trade him while on PUP.

The Colts choose when to activate Taylor after week four or can move him to IR which would also suspend his contract.

If activated Taylor must practice quickly or go to IR and he must be active for a game before week six to avoid his contract being suspended.

Chap has said don’t rule out an outright suspension.  
Teams can no longer talk to Taylor directly about a trade which means they can’t ask him about his health either.

it’s being reported Taylor still wants a trade and will hold in as long as it takes to get one.

I think that adds up to Taylor having even fewer cards than he did 24 hours ago.  I don’t see the Colts reversing course on this and just giving him a big money contract or trading him.  I don’t see the trade offers going up as teams realize there is no chance Taylor will play for the Colts again.  I also think the longer he stays on PUP the more teams will question his health which will also hurt his value.

The only way I think Taylor gets what he wants is if he plays this year for the Colts and plays at high level to prove he’s healthy and he’s the same star player he was before the injury.  If he doesn’t play at a high level and just goes through the motions he isn’t going to get the big money offer he wants.  Then he better hope Pittman has a great season and that no deal with him is worked out during the season forcing the Colts to pick between Pittman and Taylor for the tag.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

@GoColts8818

What he said.

If JT doesn't get activated from PUP, doesn't play one game this season, his contract tolls, which means he's still in Year 4 of his rookie contract in 2024, and he doesn't become a free agent.

Yeah I think the confusion was does he have to do it by week six or by week 11 but I think that was cleared up in future posts.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

So to summarize where things are:

Taylor is on PUP and will miss at least the first four weeks of the season.

He has to return by week six or his contract is suspended for a year and the Colts own his rights for another year.

He can’t be at practice while on PUP 

The Colts can’t officially trade him while on PUP.

The Colts choose when to activate Taylor after week four or can move him to IR which would also suspend his contract.

If activated Taylor must practice quickly or go to IR and he must be active for a game before week six to avoid his contract being suspended.

Chap has said don’t rule out an outright suspension.  
Teams can no longer talk to Taylor directly about a trade which means they can’t ask him about his health either.

it’s being reported Taylor still wants a trade and will hold in as long as it takes to get one.

I think that adds up to Taylor having even fewer cards than he did 24 hours ago.  I don’t see the Colts reversing course on this and just giving him a big money contract or trading him.  I don’t see the trade offers going up as teams realize think there is no chance Taylor will play for the Colts again.  I also think the longer he stays on PUP the more teams will question his health which will also hurt his value.

The only way I think Taylor gets what he wants is if he plays this year for the Colts and plays at high level to prove he’s healthy and he’s the same star player he was before the injury.  If he doesn’t play at a high level and just goes through the motions he isn’t going to get the big money offer he wants.  Then he better hope Pittman has a great season and that no deal with him is worked out during the season forcing the Colts to pick between Pittman and Taylor for the tag.

Spot on.

there is something I’m gonna revisit tomorrow though. That being the length of time the colts can suspend him under conduct detrimental to the team and what effect that potentially could have on his accrual of a season as well. Mainly what happens if they wait until week 6, then suspend him for it? Can he get the number of games to accrue. That’s is what I need to go reread and try to understand 

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Spot on.

there is something I’m gonna revisit tomorrow though. That being the length of time the colts can suspend him under conduct detrimental to the team and what effect that potentially could have on his accrual of a season as well. Mainly what happens if they wait until week 6, then suspend him for it? Can he get the number of games to accrue. That’s is what I need to go reread and try to understand 

@Superman do you happen to know?

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

That’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying that they control when he comes off PUP, not JT. The CBA is binding. No court will over turn that . And JT likely is faking, which if he did try that, the CBA allows the team, with proof mind you, to seek a suspended contract year as well…

Again I don’t see how you prove that…and if they have proof and they are hiding it then the Colts are as bad as he is because they knowingly misused the PUP. Could lose draft picks and get fined. If they have such proof it’s a double edged sword. The other teams in the league aren’t going to stand for a team to gain advantage by misusing the PUP. The Colts benefit by letting a guy holdout on the PUP and fill his position instead of making him active and losing a spot. I don’t see how that would be allowed

If the Colts try to keep a healthy player on the PUP after they have passed the required time they themselves would be violating league rules. The league would take action on behalf of the the other teams. I’m not sure about Arbitration in courts although I would bet he could do that just like MLB players arbitrate for active years but he could go to the league basically and plead his case and like I said the Colts wouldn’t take the chance of getting in trouble with league office.

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Spot on.

4 games.

So if he hasn't played by week 6, that would put him at 10 games not played and only 7 played. If he plays.

If he happen to try and play week 6, he could maybe get to the 8 games if we suspend him for game 6 instead of game 7 to start.

Lots of good convo…I would really like to know how the Colts thinks this will benefit the team by keeping JT unless they think they can change his mind about staying. I get the postering and saying you will keep him unless you get proper compensation but now what is the plan. You really want an unhappy player around this young team and in the locker room. Work out a contract or trade him. Keeping him this year seems like both sides lose. Not sure how either side can claim they won.

Holser 

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Lots of good convo…I would really like to know how the Colts thinks this will benefit the team by keeping JT unless they think they can change his mind about staying. I get the postering and saying you will keep him unless you get proper compensation but now what is the plan. You really want an unhappy player around this young team and in the locker room. Work out a contract or trade him. Keeping him this year seems like both sides lose. Not sure how either side can claim they won.

I think they have no choice interest giving him what he wants when he has played hardball and they think he is faking a injury. . Eventually they might have to just part ways to just be done righ if. I hate having this black cloud around this team.

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

@Superman do you happen to know?

So according to article 8, subsection B: he must play in a minimum of 6 games unless on IR for a football injury . The except is the PuP as we discussed. Further down in subsection B it states the player will not , if in his rookie contract, “he fails to perform his contracted duty for a material length of time and is not on the Reserve/IR list”