Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

So, if JT plays and makes plays like he did during the middle part of 2021, do you commit to extending him ASAP, and if so, how much?

I’d like to think we wait to late november at the earliest to make sure he’s consistent. 

Follow up question: If he plays like the 2022 season do you commit to extending during the season?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Fans:

source nuke GIF

Nah, he’s replaceable 

Just now, Solid84 said:

I’d like to think we wait to late november at the earliest to make sure he’s consisten. 

Follow up question: If he plays like the 2022 season do you commit to extending during the season?

Yes

and

no

Just now, DougDew said:

So, if JT plays and makes plays like he did during the middle part of 2021, do you commit to extending him ASAP, and if so, how much?

If he looks like 2021 JT which may take him 3 or 4 weeks (he's been out for months). I still stick to my original/reasonable/good deal of 3 Years/39 Million/25 Mill guaranteed = 13 Mill a year. That should be good enough to make him happy and not a bad deal for our cap either, since AR is under rookie contract for the next 4 years. We would have JT locked in at 25, 26, and 27 years of age. Those are his prime years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yeah are we talking after one game? 

I mean I guess if he goes off on the Titans for like 200 yards and we win big then maybe? I would guess Ballard will wait until the end of this month if not next to see. 

3 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I’d like to think we wait to late november at the earliest to make sure he’s consistent. 

How much?  Do you pay him what he wants, or is there still a battle there?

Just now, RollerColt said:

Yeah are we talking after one game? 

I mean I guess if he goes off on the Titans for like 200 yards and we win big then maybe? I would guess Ballard will wait until the end of this month if not next to see. 

I wouldn't after one game.  You tell me how many games you need to see from him before you know that you want him for the next three years.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I wouldn't after one game.  You tell me how many games you need to see from him before you know that you want him for the next three years.

Personally? 

I'd wait until December. If Taylor's presence on the field is enough for us to be in the playoff hunt or even winning the division, then sure go ahead and pay him. 

But if we're hovering around .500 by Christmas time... Then unfortunately I'd be looking on to next season and making some difficult choices. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Personally? 

I'd wait until December. If Taylor's presence on the field is enough for us to be in the playoff hunt or even winning the division, then sure go ahead and pay him. 

But if we're hovering around .500 by Christmas time... Then unfortunately I'd be looking on to next season and making some difficult choices. 

I think this would be reasonable. 

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

There is for me anyway. 13 mil average is my number. Cap hit wise. Anymore than that , bye Felicia 

• Thanks 4

Personally? 

BTW, I don't have any secretly committed answers to these questions I'm asking.  I'm just wondering what others think.

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Probably won’t get much out him. Will ptobsbly just be standard answers like I am glad to be back. Colts and him probably are both going to be on same page and will be saying he is just now healthy.

I’m sure one question that will be asked: do you still want traded. That is the fly in the soup so to speak and that answer will give us all we need to know

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, DougDew said:

BTW, I don't have any secretly committed answers to these questions I'm asking.  I'm just wondering what others think.

You're good, I could feel the conversation was mostly you just seeing how others are feeling. I've learned you don't often have ulterior motives on here (some will probably disagree with me), just trying to spark discussion. 

• Like 1

Just now, csmopar said:

I’m sure one question that will be asked: do you still want traded. That is the fly in the soup so to speak and that answer will give us all we need to know

When asked, JT says “ I’m here to play football for the Indianapolis Colts, the contract stuff will work itself out!”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

The other risk is that he could get injured again. 

And at that point I don't know what Ballard would do. Keeping Taylor or letting him go could be a negative to a lot of fans regardless of the choice. 

So essentially, let's hope and pray Taylor stays healthy and just plays well. 

14 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I think this would be reasonable. 

There is for me anyway. 13 mil average is my number. Cap hit wise. Anymore than that , bye Felicia 

Lets say that JT, in a 10-game block of games makes two 40 yard runs per game, one of them for a TD, each game.   Does your number go up?

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Lets say that JT, in the next 10 games (assuming later in that block than earlier) makes two 40 yard runs per game, one of them for a TD, each game.   Does your number go up?

McCaffrey and Kamara are at $16m per.  

Then there’s a gap.   

Then there are a bunch of RB’s all in the similar range of $12 to 12.5m per.  

I think JT belongs in that gap, and likely to the lower side because the RB market is shrinking so fast.   So, I’ve pegged JT at roughly $13+m per.   And that’s how I came to a contract of 3/40 months ago.  

Will JT accept a 3-year deal?   Will he insist on a 4th year?    And I always stress that the signing bonus and especially the total guaranteed are the real keys. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

McCaffrey and Kamara are at $16m per.  

Then there’s a gap.   

Then there are a bunch of RB’s all in the similar range of $12 to 12.5m per.  

I think JT belongs in that gap, and likely to the lower side because the RB market is shrinking so fast.   So, I’ve pegged JT at roughly $13+m per.   And that’s how I came to a contract of 3/40 months ago.  

Will JT accept a 3-year deal?   Will he insist on a 4th year?    And I always stress that the signing bonus and especially the total guaranteed are the real keys. 

If JT actually makes runs of 40-ish yards in most of his games, one of them TDs each game, from say, November 1 to the end of the season, I might argue that he has more impact than either McCaffrey or Kamara.

Would you increase your number?

38 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don’t know. I wouldn’t pay him $13m year if he played to his 2022 level, but then I wouldn’t pay him that if he played to his 2021 level, so…

I don't see the stream posted anywhere on Colts or other media socials. Anyone know if we can watch it anywhere? Interestingly enough, none of the usuals have tweeted that it would be starting this early. 

I don't see anything than the earlier announcement from Bowen, Boyd, Chap, etc. 

Interesting that it's a presser just for him. Makes me think retirement lmao.