Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Captain Andrew Luck

CR91

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am a little surprised that Coach hasn't let him throw deep. That is what Pierce would thrive on. AR has the arm for it. 

I think the plan is to force him to work on his short game, which has greatly improved since the combine. Or even that first camp practice

• Like 1

It stings to see Luck and remember how great he was as a Colt. AR has potential but he is a heck of a long way from reaching Luck’s level. He gave my family some exciting memories on Sundays. (I wonder if Ballard ever thanks Andrew for abruptly retiring, thus apparently giving him the job security of a Supreme Court Justice) 

13 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I think it is more likely that someone in the military will say/write something to taunt or disparage him. (It has already happened.)

I spent 24 years wearing a uniform......I won't disparage him for the comedic intention! But I feel ya - now if it was a stolen valor situation that is completely different!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DougDew said:

That would be a fairly awkward thing to do, IMO.   The civil war may not be taught using facts anymore, but the blue uni was the side against slave ownership, which also represented most of the population at the time.

I don't recall what uniform the original Captain Andrew Luck caricature wore, but Andy was smart to choose the blue one. 

I know who wore what color uniform and what they "stood" for........I wore a uniform for 24 years myself and I am fully aware of what it represents. Too many ignorant folks don't though - that is why I made the statement I made.

6 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

It stings to see Luck and remember how great he was as a Colt. AR has potential but he is a heck of a long way from reaching Luck’s level. He gave my family some exciting memories on Sundays. (I wonder if Ballard ever thanks Andrew for abruptly retiring, thus apparently giving him the job security of a Supreme Court Justice) 

AR>Luck

On 9/22/2023 at 9:05 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Glad to see he is doing well. He is happy and although his sudden retirement set us back 5 years, and the way he retired would make anyone upset, he did bring us many great moments. IMO, he still remains the 2nd greatest QB in Indianapolis history, 3rd if you factor in Baltimore = 1. Peyton, 2. Unitas, 3. Luck. People can hate the guy for the way he retired but it is real hard to debate that Luck wasn't the 3rd best QB the Colts franchise as a whole has ever had. 

Key Accolades:

Holds the record for most passing yards for a rookie = 2012, 4374 yards.

He has 4 playoffs wins. By comparison, Bert Jones never won a playoff game.

He was 53-33 as a starter. When he started, we won 62% of our games. 

He was also inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame.

-The Captain Andrew thing, is hilarious IMO. Hope he, his wife, and 2 kids live a long/happy life.

Did you know that Luck is eligible for the Hall of Fame ?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Did you know that Luck is eligible for the Hall of Fame ?

Will hopefully never happen. Dude hasn’t done anywhere near enough to even be in consideration by any measure. 

Retirement feelings aside, he has no super bowls, like 2 division championships and an AFCCG. Heck, Kyle Orton would be closer to the ballot than Luck. Luck, while as great as he was in those short years, just doesn’t have the overall resume to make the ballot. Sadly, he may make the RoH but I think the bar is too high for that even

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Will hopefully never happen. Dude hasn’t done anywhere near enough to even be in consideration by any measure. 

Retirement feelings aside, he has no super bowls, like 2 division championships and an AFCCG. Heck, Kyle Orton would be closer to the ballot than Luck. Luck, while as great as he was in those short years, just doesn’t have the overall resume to make the ballot. Sadly, he may make the RoH but I think the bar is too high for that even

Did you just put Kyle Orton and Andrew Luck in the same sentence? Season 4 Falling GIF by The Simpsons

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree Luck won't get in but he is probably a top 50 QB of all-time. Orton isn't even top 100 Happy The Golden Girls GIF by Pretty Dudes

Not really. I mean natural talent wise, yeah. But due to his short career, his stats won’t be top 50. And that’s what he’ll be judged on over the course of history long after all of us are gone that witnessed his play. 

29 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Not really. I mean natural talent wise, yeah. But due to his short career, his stats won’t be top 50. And that’s what he’ll be judged on over the course of history long after all of us are gone that witnessed his play. 

Winning + stats + talent = top 50 for him. He won 4 playoff games and still put up good numbers. People love Bert Jones and he won 0 playoff games. Luck won more playoff games than Tony Romo and almost has many as Rivers, Rivers won 5 and Rivers is a Hall of Famer IMO.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Winning + stats + talent = top 50 for him. He won 4 playoff games and still put up good numbers. People love Bert Jones and he won 0 playoff games. Luck won more playoff games than Tony Romo and almost has many as Rivers, Rivers won 5 and Rivers is a Hall of Famer IMO.

Again, longevity is still the biggest measuring stick

33 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Well yeah because of his rings. Luck has ZERO

Yeah but I have already said Luck isn't a Hall of Famer. We have already agreed on that. I have looked at a lot of QB's in the past, I would say 75 or so that have been good, a top 30 would be your definite great QB's. Luck is definitely top 50. The list of possibly great QB's of all-time thins out after around 40. Then you start getting into very good/good for around 20 or 30 or so. Then it really thins after 75. There are only 26 QB's in the Hall of Fame. Of course Brady and Rodgers will get in so might as well say 28. 

33 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah but I have already said Luck isn't a Hall of Famer. We have already agreed on that. I have looked at a lot of QB's in the past, I would say 75 or so that have been good, a top 30 would be your definite great QB's. Luck is definitely top 50. The list of possibly great QB's of all-time thins out after around 40. Then you start getting into very good/good for around 20 or 30 or so. Then it really thins after 75. There are only 26 QB's in the Hall of Fame. Of course Brady and Rodgers will get in so might as well say 28. 

+ Brees and Mahomes (already) so that is 30. You have guys like Ben, Rivers, and Eli that will probably get in but after that it is real questionable. I would put Matt Ryan in as well.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

+ Brees and Mahomes (already) so that is 30. You have guys like Ben, Rivers, and Eli that will probably get in but after that it is real questionable. I would put Matt Ryan in as well.

I would not out Matt Ryan in the HoF either. He was good, but not great

• Like 1

Matt Ryan will get in. Mainly because of what you posted - longevity. He is 7th in all-time passing yards. Led his team to an NFC Championship, and he won League MVP.

I know.  But I must be honest in that I just don’t think he has the resume to get there either

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

I know.  But I must be honest in that I just don’t think he has the resume to get there either

Perhaps not, I think he does but it is debatable. I respect your opinion on it.

QB's that are in the HALL:

Sammy Baugh - he wasn't even a full-time QB, he played other positions as well.

Sid Luckman

Y.A. Tittle 

Bobby Layne

George Blanda - was also a K.

Otto Graham 

Johnny Unitas 

Bart Starr

Joe Namath 

Len Dawson

Bob Griese

Ken Stabler

Roger Staubach 

Terry Bradshaw 

Fran Tarkenton

Joe Montana 

Dan Fouts 

Dan Marino 

John Elway 

Jim Kelly 

Brett Favre 

Troy Aikman 

Steve Young 

Warren Moon

Kurt Warner 

Peyton Manning 

Definite shoe in's:

Tom Brady

Aaron Rodgers 

Drew Brees 

Ben Roethlisberger 

Eli Manning 

Philip Rivers 

Pat Mahomes - (already)

It is a short list. Do you think all these QB's deserve to be in? I think Matt Ryan squeaks in, JMO. Probably 2nd ballot.

I just named 34 QBs in total including Ryan, after that it gets thinner.

Sid Luckman

Y.A. Tittle 

Bobby Layne

Otto Graham 

Johnny Unitas 

Bart Starr

Joe Namath 

Len Dawson

Bob Griese

Ken Stabler

Roger Staubach 

Terry Bradshaw 

Fran Tarkenton

Joe Montana 

Dan Fouts 

Dan Marino 

John Elway 

Jim Kelly 

Brett Favre 

Troy Aikman 

Steve Young 

Warren Moon

Kurt Warner 

Peyton Manning 

Definite shoe in's:

Tom Brady

Aaron Rodgers 

Drew Brees 

Ben Roethlisberger 

Eli Manning 

Philip Rivers 

Pat Mahomes - (already)

It is a short list. Do you think all these QB's deserve to be in? I think Matt Ryan squeaks in, JMO. Probably 2nd ballot.

Then you start thinking about QBs like Matt Stafford, Russell Wilson, Boomer Esiason, Donovan McNabb, Steve McNair, Phil Simms, and Jim Plunkett, maybe even someone like Lamar because he is major dual and has won an League MVP. See how it starts to really thin out. Luck is top 50 the more I really think about it. He isn't a Hall of Famer but top 50 is respectable. Longevity is important but so are stats, wins, talent, and accomplishments.

• Like 1

I talk to my step-dad this morning and threw out all the names I listed above who are basically top 50 QB's of all-time. He is an Encyclopedia when it comes to football knowledge and 71 years old. He even had trouble completing a full top 50 with not having Luck in it. He threw out a few more names, - Sonny Jurgensen, Randall Cunnigham, Kenny Anderson, Joe Theismann, and Tony Romo. He thinks Luck makes the top 40 but just didn't play long enough to make the Hall of Fame

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Sid Luckman

Y.A. Tittle 

Bobby Layne

Otto Graham 

Johnny Unitas 

Bart Starr

Joe Namath 

Len Dawson

Bob Griese

Ken Stabler

Roger Staubach 

Terry Bradshaw 

Fran Tarkenton

Joe Montana 

Dan Fouts 

Dan Marino 

John Elway 

Jim Kelly 

Brett Favre 

Troy Aikman 

Steve Young 

Warren Moon

Kurt Warner 

Peyton Manning 

Definite shoe in's:

Tom Brady

Aaron Rodgers 

Drew Brees 

Ben Roethlisberger 

Eli Manning 

Philip Rivers 

Pat Mahomes - (already)

If they were in the ballot today,  no many of them wouldn’t be.

to me, the bar to get in gets raised with each class of inductees. Which honestly, the league has done a decent job of that unlike the joke that is NASCAR’s hall of fame where all you gotta do is win a single race and you’re guaranteed in. 

those early inductees deserved to be in at the time they were inducted for sure.  But the game has progressed to where most of those guys have been eclipsed by newer guys, sometimes a lot of guys. Especially at QB.

I mean guys like Peyton that revolutionized how the game was played versus his peers should definitely be in regardless of overall rankings in stats. 

other guys like Rivers and Ryan, guys who has good, long careers shouldn’t be in. Yes, they have huge stats compared to many already in the hall, but again, the bar is raised and to me, passing yardages, passing TDs aren’t enough anymore. Super Bowl wins stacked with those stats definitely but I also don’t think Super Bowl wins by themselves should get one in either. For example, I don’t think nick Foles should be in the HoF just cause he won a Super Bowl. Similarly, guys like Eli Manning who won two but maybe isn’t as high up the the passing star sheet as some others, should get in. 

it’s subjective but I’m like I said, it should become harder to get into the hall of fame, not easier

Sonny Jurgenson is actually in the Hall of Fame, my step-dad didn't even bring that up lmao . I am surprised Jim Plunkett isn't in. Back when he played, it was more of a running league and he helped the Raiders win 2 SB's. Like Bill Russell once said "Winning 2 Championships isn't a fluke, anyone can win one, but winning 2 makes you Elite". Of course, QB's like Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, and Nick Foles don't deserve to be in, anyone knows that. They had major help and caught fire for 1 year.

23 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Bert Jones won league MVP and league Offensive Player of the Year awards, though, which labelled him as BEST amongst his peers, as well as 2 time All-Pro.

Both Bert Jones and Andrew Luck would’ve been HOFers, if not for their careers being cut short due to injuries. 

To me, HOF can’t look at just the “stats”.  It’s more about being amongst the very best of your peers, with longevity. Someone like Plunkett, though leading the Raiders to SuperBowls was NEVER considered amongst the best QBs during his playing days.  That is why he is not in the HOF.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rockywoj said:

Bert Jones won league MVP and league Offensive Player of the Year awards, though, which labelled him as BEST amongst his peers, as well as 2 time All-Pro.

Both Bert Jones and Andrew Luck would’ve been HOFers, if not for their careers being cut short due to injuries. 

Bert is another one that gets overlooked. He is probably top 50 ever, injuries messed his career up. He did win a League MVP like you said. Great talent too. Belichick once said "Bert Jones is the greatest pure passer I ever seen". As funny as this sounds and I don't think he is a Hall of Famer but Cam Newton probably would round out a top 50, he went to a SB and won a League MVP. He was great for like 4 or 5 years.