Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Captain Andrew Luck

CR91

7 hours ago, CR91 said:

Is real!!!!!!!!

Dearest mother: in order to escape prosecution and further public shaming for my desertion on the eve of the ‘19 campaign, I am further abandoning Indiana territory and retreating to California. I have already resigned my commission but the treasonous acts of desertion will forever follow me. 

Signed,

Andrew Luck

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I'm sure some media *hat is going to call him a racist or something for wearing a Union uniform...........state of our society now!

I think it is more likely that someone in the military will say/write something to taunt or disparage him. (It has already happened.)

6 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I'm sure some media *hat is going to call him a racist or something for wearing a Union uniform...........state of our society now!

That would be a fairly awkward thing to do, IMO.   The civil war may not be taught using facts anymore, but the blue uni was the side against slave ownership, which also represented most of the population at the time.

I don't recall what uniform the original Captain Andrew Luck caricature wore, but Andy was smart to choose the blue one. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, DougDew said:

That would be a fairly awkward thing to do, IMO.   The civil war may not be taught using facts anymore, but the blue uni was the side against slave ownership, which also represented most of the population at the time.

I don't recall what uniform the original Captain Andrew Luck caricature wore, but Andy was smart to choose the blue one. 

It’s always been union. Which is fine with me. Personally, I wouldn’t care if it was a confederate uniform. As racist and brutal of a time that was for my ancestors, we can’t pretend it didn’t happen by erasing all traces of it as some in the media and the world wishes we could do.

• Like 1

Glad to see he is doing well. He is happy and although his sudden retirement set us back 5 years, and the way he retired would make anyone upset, he did bring us many great moments. IMO, he still remains the 2nd greatest QB in Indianapolis history, 3rd if you factor in Baltimore = 1. Peyton, 2. Unitas, 3. Luck. People can hate the guy for the way he retired but it is real hard to debate that Luck wasn't the 3rd best QB the Colts franchise as a whole has ever had. 

Key Accolades:

Holds the record for most passing yards for a rookie = 2012, 4374 yards.

He has 4 playoffs wins. By comparison, Bert Jones never won a playoff game.

He was 53-33 as a starter. When he started, we won 62% of our games. 

He was also inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame.

-The Captain Andrew thing, is hilarious IMO. Hope he, his wife, and 2 kids live a long/happy life.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Dearest mother,

Do not fret about my former unit. They are in good hands with lieutenants Richardson and Minshew. Richardson possesses a howitzer with incredible range and mobility. While he is recovering from the shock waves of battle, lieutenant Minshew stepped up and lead the unit to victory over the dastardly Texans. This week the unit travels to Baltimore to face the ravenous Ravens squad. If only I had the fortitude and courage of these two, my unit would have likely reached the mountain top and not be stuck in the valley. I long to see you again when I return to the golden hills of California. 

signed

Andrew Luck

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

It’s always been union. Which is fine with me. Personally, I wouldn’t care if it was a confederate uniform. As racist and brutal of a time that was for my ancestors, we can’t pretend it didn’t happen by erasing all traces of it as some in the media and the world wishes we could do.

I think most just think confederates info belong in museums and history books...not as statues or names of places, which is something done usually to honor something or someone.

• Like 4

Dearest mother,

I am doing well out in sunny California.  My continued schooling is going strong.  Although my military pension should cover me for the foreseeable future.  Made an appearance with local media.  The uniform still fits.  They seemed delighted to see someone wearing it. Looking forward to your visit.  Can't wait for you to see your two granddaughters.

Your devoted son,

Andrew

39 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Well, opinions on the matter can get charged up, so its best to stick with facts.   This is pretty much how I learned early American History from my public school in the 1970s

Slavery was being abolished very early in the country's history...shortly after forming.   In 1789..slave trading was made illegal everywhere.  And slave ownership was being abolished.  It just took until about 1860 to go to war with the Southern states over it, but the sentiment was there for a long time.  There was a lot of progressive anti-slavery policies very early in the country's history.  From WIKI:

In the 1770s, blacks throughout New England began sending petitions to northern legislatures demanding freedom. At the Constitutional Convention many slavery issues were debated and for a time slavery was a major obstacle to passage of the new constitution. As a compromise the institution of slavery was acknowledged although never mentioned directly in the constitution. An example is the Fugitive Slave Clause. By 1789, five of the Northern states had policies that started to gradually abolish slavery: Pennsylvania (1780), New Hampshire and Massachusetts (1783), Connecticut and Rhode Island (1784). Vermont abolished slavery in 1777, while it was still independent. When it joined the United States as the 14th state in 1791, it was the first state to join that had no slavery. By 1804 all of the northern states had abolished slavery or had plans in place to gradually reduce it.[3]

I think it would be honorable to wear a Union uniform.

I think you are talking about racism.  I'm not. I'm just talking about the uniform and what it stood for at the time.   I'm glad Andy is having some fun with the caricature.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

also state of our society now...someone getting upset over something that hadn't even happened yet

• Like 1

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Dearest mother: in order to escape prosecution and further public shaming for my desertion on the eve of the ‘19 campaign, I am further abandoning Indiana territory and retreating to California. I have already resigned my commission but the treasonous acts of desertion will forever follow me. 

Signed,

Andrew Luck

Dearest mother: the butt hurtedness I felt at the abrupt departure of our former Lieutenant still looms large in my heart.  Perhaps one day the pain will subside and I will be able to hear his name without breaking down in tears over what might have been.  Till that day comes, I'll need your continued emotional support.

ps. please wash my pillow and blankie...they are soaked from my tears which makes my napping most difficult

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

The civil war may not be taught using facts anymore, but the blue uni was the side against slave ownership, which also represented most of the population at the time.

Seriously? 

As a social studies teacher, I see this mentality all over the internet. From Facebook, to YouTube, Reddit and on here... 

The educators in the education system are doing their jobs, and I promise you that we are teaching about the Civil War using ONLY facts. There are PLENTY of primary sources, handwritten accounts, pictures and so on. If there are people who don't know much about this important part of our history, it's because they CHOSE to not pay attention in class. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iuswingman said:

I think most just think confederates info belong in museums and history books...not as statues or names of places, which is something done usually to honor something or someone.

You’re basically saying the same thing as @csmopar that it belongs “somewhere” for folks to learn from history’s mistakes, just like the Holocaust, just not erased like it never happened.

11 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Seriously? 

As a social studies teacher, I see this mentality all over the internet. From Facebook, to YouTube, Reddit and on here... 

The educators in the education system are doing their jobs, and I promise you that we are teaching about the Civil War using ONLY facts. There are PLENTY of primary sources, handwritten accounts, pictures and so on. If there are people who don't know much about this important part of our history, it's because they CHOSE to not pay attention in class. 

No, not seriously.  I think Scott is way passed being school age.  It seemed like the statement and confusion could be the result of history getting summarized differently as time passes.   I respected almost every school teacher my children had.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

You’re basically saying the same thing as @csmopar that it belongs “somewhere” for folks to learn from history’s mistakes, just like the Holocaust, just not erased like it never happened.

I wasn't sure what he was referring to in the last part of his post.  I was just replying with where I drew the line.  

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

No, not seriously.  I think Scott is way passed being school age.  It seemed like the statement and confusion could be the result of history getting summarized differently as time passes. 

There will always be biases, for sure. Tik-Tok and Instagram videos don't help with distortion. That's why I find it so important for these kids to actually look at the primary sources and first hand accounts for themselves. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

There will always be biases, for sure. Tik-Tok and Instagram videos don't help with distortion. That's why I find it so important for these kids to actually look at the primary sources and first hand accounts for themselves. 

Biases perhaps in some places.  Different sources of education too.  I think there is not enough time to cover all of the important details, some of which actually matter.

I didn't intend to go down the path of education, as much as the civil war is OT too.  I just mentioned it because most of us get that education from school. 

Thanks for your comments.   

3 hours ago, J@son said:

Dearest mother: the butt hurtedness I felt at the abrupt departure of our former Lieutenant still looms large in my heart.  Perhaps one day the pain will subside and I will be able to hear his name without breaking down in tears over what might have been.  Till that day comes, I'll need your continued emotional support.

ps. please wash my pillow and blankie...they are soaked from my tears which makes my napping most difficult

We had a lieutenant abruptly leave?

3 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

What's the over/under on the number of responses before the mods lock this post?

I’m guessing 5 pages haha

Just now, IinD said:

Man, what could've been if he continued that trajectory after those first 3 years before injuries started happening.

Us Colts fans missed out unfortunately.

He and Mahomes would be the 2 best QB's in the league. At least I think so. We also probably would have won a SB by now. As great as Burrow has played, Luck was better in those 3 years.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He and Mahomes would be the 2 best QB's in the league. At least I think so. We also probably would have won a SB by now. As great as Burrow has played, Luck was better in those 3 years.

I think AR has potential to be better than all 3… of the stars align correctly… and I was not an AR fan before the draft. It wasn’t until training camp I started seeing some signs. If he stays healthy, captain luck will long be forgotten 

Just now, csmopar said:

I think AR has potential to be better than all 3… of the stars align correctly… and I was not an AR fan before the draft. It wasn’t until training camp I started seeing some signs. If he stays healthy, captain luck will long be forgotten 

I did like AR's 2 TD runs, he made those look easy like he was in practice.