Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Isaiah Rodgers to the Eagles (Still Suspended)

Colt.45

• Shive changed the title to Eagles sign Isaiah Rodgers
11 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

There was overwhelming majority of posters asking for Rodgers to be cut, in the wake of the betting news and discussions.

Now that the Eagles signed him even to stash him for a year, do we see a reversal of opinions? 

Do the Eagles have to pay him for the year? If not, what is the disadvantage of not keeping him?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

What do the Eagles lose for signing him? Did the Eagles give him a signing bonus? I wonder why other teams did not try to sign him.

Credibility. The guy was an * who threw his big pay day chances down the pooper. 

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

What do the Eagles lose for signing him? Did the Eagles give him a signing bonus? I wonder why other teams did not try to sign him.

Nothing, I don't think Eagles have any disillusion that Rodgers will be available this season. He'll be suspended all year, in fairness to what Calvin Ridley had to serve. If anything, Eagles are betting that Rodgers will be reinstated next season.

Rodgers made a mistake, and he apologized publicly and I think he deserves another chance. He may not get a big pay again unless he does really well after getting back, but he should be given opportunity to prove he can follow the rules and play good football. 

Eagles will probably lose Slay and Bradberry next off-season so they're probably getting him to have a look at him in practices next year when he's allowed back in the league. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

If he's reinstated a year in, guess who now owns his rights?

Colts cut him. I think they'll have the rights if Colts didn't take any action but they released him, which is why Eagles have been able to sign him. 

I don't think NFL will reinstate him this year in fairness to all other suspensions given so far, so there won't be any such concerns for this season. 

6 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

There was overwhelming majority of posters asking for Rodgers to be cut, in the wake of the betting news and discussions.

Now that the Eagles signed him even to stash him for a year, do we see a reversal of opinions? 

I wasn’t one of them.  I didn’t get not putting him on the suspended list.  It wouldn’t cost them money or a roster spot.  The Colts FO or Irsay had to be pi ssed about something specific. Either what he bet on or not disclosing he was under investigation. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

I wasn’t one of them.  I didn’t get not putting him on the suspended list.  It wouldn’t cost them money or a roster spot.  The Colts FO or Irsay had to be pi ssed about something specific. Either what he bet on or not disclosing he was under investigation. 

Yeah.. there was so much maligning going on just because he bet on games, without any actual facts on minute details of the case. 

If he had passed on inside information out of Colts facility or bet against the team or teammates, I can understand the anger but that much hostility towards that guy without any credible information?

As you said, if he had done something that betrayed Colts and that forced Irsay or Ballard to cut him outright, that's fair. 

• 7 months later...
21 hours ago, w87r said:

Not sure what it means, but NFL reinstated (5) guys for gambling.

Rodgers wasn't 1 of them.

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2024/04/18/eagles-news-nfl-reinstates-players-isaiah-rodgers-suspended-quintez-cephus-cj-moore-shaka-toney/

His violation was more severe than the players that were re-instated . Maybe he gets an extra 8 games or so ?

7 minutes ago, dw49 said:

His violation was more severe than the players that were re-instated . Maybe he gets an extra 8 games or so ?

Definitely was, but essentially all of them received the same punishment initially.

Just thought it was curious, especially right before the draft. Has to put the CB spot for the Eagles in limbo.

Been wondering if Jontay Porter's NBA lifetime ban had any play in the decision.

Rodgers did bet on his own team.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Definitely was, but essentially all of them received the same punishment initially.

Just thought it was curious, especially right before the draft. Has to put the CB spot for the Eagles in limbo.

Been wondering if Jontay Porter's NBA lifetime ban had any play in the decision.

Rodgers did bet on his own team.

They received the same punishment but the length of the suspension was "open ended." Really difficult to say "they received the same punishment " as the "punishment  was not specified.

But it's obvious that they view Rodgers violation to be more serious as last September , they specified the following... "Under the new policy, as disclosed in a memo from commissioner Roger Goodell that was obtained by ESPN on Friday, a player who places a bet involving his own team will be suspended at least two years. Bets placed by players on any NFL game will result in at least a one-year suspension." 

After reading this , I would think at least half this year and good chance the entire year. 

15 minutes ago, dw49 said:

They received the same punishment but the length of the suspension was "open ended." Really difficult to say "they received the same punishment " as the "punishment  was not specified.

But it's obvious that they view Rodgers violation to be more serious as last September , they specified the following... "Under the new policy, as disclosed in a memo from commissioner Roger Goodell that was obtained by ESPN on Friday, a player who places a bet involving his own team will be suspended at least two years. Bets placed by players on any NFL game will result in at least a one-year suspension." 

After reading this , I would think at least half this year and good chance the entire year. 

The 2 year c ame after punishment was handed down to Rodgers.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39437034/suspended-nfl-player-isaiah-rodgers-sr-says-bets-were-made-others

They all were suspended indefinitely for at least 2023 season while being able to file for reinstatement after conclusion of 2023 season 

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2023/6/28/23777123/colts-isaiah-rodgers-suspended-2023-season-gambling-violations

so I guess it was kinda open ended, but I think most people thought it would just be the 1 season. I know the Eagles did.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsportsphiladelphia.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/jeff-lurie-optimistic-isaiah-rodgers-cleared-soon-nfl-suspension-gambling-policy/573635/%3famp=1

Now I agree he should've got more, just wasn't expecting the league to treat it differently from initial suspension (even though it was kinda left open ended, they were all looped together)

Every case is different and he clearly did worse things than pretty much all the other guys that were suspended.

Either way, the Eagles need to plan on not having him which will likely effect their draft plans.

4 hours ago, w87r said:

The 2 year c ame after punishment was handed down to Rodgers.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39437034/suspended-nfl-player-isaiah-rodgers-sr-says-bets-were-made-others

They all were suspended indefinitely for at least 2023 season while being able to file for reinstatement after conclusion of 2023 season 

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2023/6/28/23777123/colts-isaiah-rodgers-suspended-2023-season-gambling-violations

so I guess it was kinda open ended, but I think most people thought it would just be the 1 season. I know the Eagles did.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsportsphiladelphia.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/jeff-lurie-optimistic-isaiah-rodgers-cleared-soon-nfl-suspension-gambling-policy/573635/%3famp=1

Now I agree he should've got more, just wasn't expecting the league to treat it differently from initial suspension (even though it was kinda left open ended, they were all looped together)

Every case is different and he clearly did worse things than pretty much all the other guys that were suspended.

Either way, the Eagles need to plan on not having him which will likely effect their draft plans.

Yes , I did specify that the 2 year suspension rule was enacted in September of 2023 , which was around 5 months after Rodgers was cited. My point was that the original suspension was for a "Minimum " of 1 year , so IMO , it's not at all surprising that his suspension is longer than those that did not bet on their team. The Eagles took a chance that he would be available in 2024. It was a low risk , high reward signing IMO.

• Like 1

Just now, dw49 said:

Wish we still had him ....

Yeah,  but with the extent his gambling violations went to, I can see how the front office had to completely lose trust in him.

Probably no going back from that. Once the trust is gone, time to move on.

They could've kept him on the team and looked to trade him, but I definitely understand losing trust in him and just moving on.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Yeah,  but with the extent his gambling violations went to, I can see how the front office had to completely lose trust in him.

Probably no going back from that. Once the trust is gone, time to move on.

They could've kept him on the team and looked to trade him, but I definitely understand losing trust in him and just moving on.

I think his trade value would have been around a nickel and a pickle . But yes , I see your point

13 hours ago, dw49 said:

Wish we still had him ....

Ballard should have never cut him. I want Ogletree on the team as well considering charges were dropped (I believe), but his whole fiasco with his fiance where battery might have been involved was way more of a sensitive topic and understandable of being cut for than Rodgers friend betting 1k on his account on a Colts run stat over/under. That's the worse thing Rodgers was found guilty of, and now we have Colts fans trying to convince themselves we need a RD1 CB pick after 3 were chosen in last year's draft... 

He did a podcast detailing what he bet on with Franklin and Speed in case others haven't seen it. Much ado about nothing imho and it's obvious the locker room still like him/didn't think he was negatively trying to affect the outcome of games, and they would know best on that over anyone.

5 hours ago, colts89 said:

Ballard should have never cut him. I want Ogletree on the team as well considering charges were dropped (I believe), but his whole fiasco with his fiance where battery might have been involved was way more of a sensitive topic and understandable of being cut for than Rodgers friend betting 1k on his account on a Colts run stat over/under. That's the worse thing Rodgers was found guilty of, and now we have Colts fans trying to convince themselves we need a RD1 CB pick after 3 were chosen in last year's draft... 

He did a podcast detailing what he bet on with Franklin and Speed in case others haven't seen it. Much ado about nothing imho and it's obvious the locker room still like him/didn't think he was negatively trying to affect the outcome of games, and they would know best on that over anyone.

I felt exactly the same as you. Let me ask all those that disagree this question... are the colts a better team due to cutting Rodgers ? Does anyone think that if Rodgers were on the team , it would be a distraction or cause just what problems ? Does anyone really think that Rodgers is going to in anyway "hurt " Philly's team chemistry.