Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who Will Be a Playmaker?

Smonroe

Playmakers?

From the Athletic, this morning:

"4. Anthony Richardson, QB, Indianapolis Colts

Like Stroud, Richardson learned a valuable NFL lesson about double-clutching on throws when he was picked off early in his preseason debut. Richardson has a live arm, and it’s clear that his passes generate velocity that’s missing from the other QBs in this class, even on underneath throws. He has much to learn about tying his feet to the timing of his progression, though, because he still makes some poor throws outside of the numbers.

Richardson will have some explosive performances this season — good and bad – but he’s the first-round QB I’d bet on winning Offensive Rookie of the Year. — Lee"

• Like 1

Notice that Al and Herby mentioned the lack of Colts playmakers a number of times during the game.

I think, as some of you have mentioned, AR makes playmakers in a sense.  I don't want to put his name in the same sentence as Peyton's, but a great QB will make everyone around him better.

AR isn't a great QB by any means...yet.  But I think we all see that potential.

Still think that if we can get JT back in the fold, then we have something really special.  Something that maybe no other team in the league has.

On 8/24/2023 at 8:12 AM, Smonroe said:

Obviously we’re counting on AR5, but he can’t do it all on his own.

Who will be the guy that the other team has to especially prepare for each week?   We may not have JT, so I don’t think any of our other RBs are scaring anyone.

MPJ, AP?  Good WRs, assuming the Oline gives AR time to let them get open.   Hopefully Downs emerges.  Potentially good TEs, but is there a Kelce?  Not yet. 

I think you all see my point.   We don’t have anyone besides AR (again, projecting that he’s that guy) who defenses really have to look out for, right?

After 7 years under Ballard, I am still waiting. Sorry, I just couldn't resist lol

• Thanks 1

On 8/24/2023 at 9:53 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I understand the financial component.   But many posters here literally say it will not be hard to replace Taylor.   I think that’s false and they’re in for a rude awakening once JT is gone.  

Do I think he is a special runner? Sure if u want to go with that narrative. To me the only reason to extend Taylor is if it is to protect Richardson and take pressure off of him. If Richardson is our guy in two years, Taylor will be older and really not necessary at that time but he could still be jnder contract. 

I really like what we’ve seen out of the TEs. I haven’t been as plugged into camp this year as years past, but where is Jelani Woods? Has he been injured, is he just not standing out at all? I haven’t seen or heard anything about him. He and Richardson in the red zone could be a lethal combo. AR rolling out getting LB’s attention could be a big advantage for woods. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Do I think he is a special runner? Sure if u want to go with that narrative. To me the only reason to extend Taylor is if it is to protect Richardson and take pressure off of him. If Richardson is our guy in two years, Taylor will be older and really not necessary at that time but he could still be jnder contract. 

Even in the most optimistic circumstances,  I don’t see the Colts extending JT beyond 3-years.   I think the only way the Colts would do 4-years is if Y4 was a year the Colts could get out of with a near-zero salary cap hit.   Otherwise, I think an extension would be somewhat lean and the Colts would be somewhat protected.  As always with all contracts, the guarantees are key. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, John Waylon said:

I really like what we’ve seen out of the TEs. I haven’t been as plugged into camp this year as years past, but where is Jelani Woods? Has he been injured, is he just not standing out at all? I haven’t seen or heard anything about him. He and Richardson in the red zone could be a lethal combo. AR rolling out getting LB’s attention could be a big advantage for woods. 

He’s been injured, doesn’t appear to be serious.  I think all of the TEs that have a chance to make the team have missed time, except Granson.  (Or Grayson as Al Michaels kept calling him). 

If it was my call I’d keep Jelani, Olgletree (YSU!), Granson and Mallory.  Let them all grow with AR.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Even in the most optimistic circumstances,  I don’t see the Colts extending JT beyond 3-years.   I think the only way the Colts would do 4-years is if Y4 was a year the Colts could get out of with a near-zero salary cap hit.   Otherwise, I think an extension would be somewhat lean and the Colts would be somewhat protected.  As always with all contracts, the guarantees are key. 

Im sure it’s already been said a hundred times, but to me it all depends on his ankle.  Is it really still healing?  Did the operation not fully work?  Things we will never know.  

But if he has a clean bill of health, I think they should offer him three years, starting this year.  Guarantee a majority of it.  Maybe $40m.  Not what he wants but more than he’d get anywhere. They have the money, and could easily extend MPJ.

Again, all depending on that wheel.  

Depends on what a playmaker is. If you mean someone you'd have to scheme for, I'd say no one (except AR hopefully). But we have a lot of really good players (very underrated by the national media imo). All the WRs and TEs can be really good. Most interested in Woods. 

IMO if Taylor is not playing for the Colts, the only legitimate game breaking playmaker on this roster offensively is AR. Pittman is very good but he's not what I would consider a playmaker. He will get you what's there and what's created for him(and this is more than any other offensive weapon we have), but he won't create a ton of yards or plays of his own.

• Like 1