Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Risky move by Coach

indyagent17

43 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Let's not forget that these rooks have been going at it pretty much for a year now, and just about every rookie is going to hit that rookie wall at some point during the season.  Now, maybe a few reps in pre-season game 2 won't really affect that too much, but as a coach you try to work that into the equation as well.  Just a thought...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Yeah? I didn’t know that, he look more like a guy that have been exercising to become a Center! haha

35547429001_5303422175001_5303415290001-

You’re thinking of what he looks like now. This was him back when he was first hired. 

Indiana food is… well not so healthy… 

3 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

When we look back on AR’s Hall of Fame career, we will all reminisce and laugh and laugh together about how important we thought this decision was. 

That’s pretty much been my thought from the start.  This is the very definition of making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Do you think there is no value in a player playing in a preseason game? That is the impression I am getting from many of the posts.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That is a good post. It helps some to better understand why the coaching staff made the decision that they did.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Do you think there is no value in a player playing in a preseason game? That is the impression I am getting from many of the posts.

That is a good post. It helps some to better understand why the coaching staff made the decision that they did.

No one has said that.  They have said there is minimal value playing against another teams second stringers in the pre-season when trying to develop your QB.  Had the Bears starters been out there then it would have been a different story just as it was last week vs the Bills.  The value this week was the two joint practices vs the Bears.  Like someone else said in this thread Richardson needs meaningful reps not just any reps.  

Like Venturi said last night the old second pre-season game has essentially been replaced with the two joint practices a lot of teams do now and the game that follows those practices essentially becomes the old fourth pre-season game when no starters played.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

The poster is just sharing his opinion. It is a good discussion.

It stops being an opinion when they state it as a fact that Richardson will not be ready for week one when they have no way to know that and clearly have no way to know it more than the coach who just this week felt Richardson was ready enough to be named the starter.  Clearly Shane is seeing things that make him feel Richardson is ready.  

Also, as I said in another post that poster is entitled to think what he wants but other people are also entitled to tell him why they think he’s wrong.

As for the mountain out of mole comment that has to do with this debate as a whole.  I’ll keep saying it Richardson isn’t going to be success or bust because he did or did not play last night.  Pretending that it’s going to have some huge impact on his career is making a mountain out of a mole hill.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Preseason holds more value to some players than others.

Starting veterans don’t need preseason games near as much as rookies or players trying to make the roster.

Remember, the ONLY thing that counts in preseason is experience. Risking health of your team in a almost meaningless game after they had two hard joint practices just doesn’t seem worth it to me. Especially when the Colts have shown they are made of glass.

Sure I think it would benefit Richardson some but 7-10 snaps probably isn’t going to change much in the long run if we are being honest.

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

No one has said that.  They have said there is minimal value playing against another teams second stringers in the pre-season when trying to develop your QB.  Had the Bears starters been out there then it would have been a different story just as it was last week vs the Bills.  The value this week was the two joint practices vs the Bears.  Like someone else said in this thread Richardson needs meaningful reps not just any reps.  

Like Venturi said last night the old second pre-season game has essentially been replaced with the two joint practices a lot of teams do now and the game that follows those practices essentially becomes the old fourth pre-season game when no starters played.  

Thank  you. I like discussion and appreciate different thoughts/points of view.

31 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

The poster is just sharing his opinion. It is a good discussion.

well yeah, but if a poster ignores all the circumstances surrounding a topic,,, they're gonna get laughed at. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

All I'm saying is everything on its own barely moves the needle. However, everything together adds up. Richardson is not Luck. He's a raw QB that needs as much practice as possible. Even 2nd string backups are valuable to face for him as the only true experience he has gone against is college players for one year. 

It's not going to make me quit watching, but it's frustrating seeing that decision made from Steichen and the Colts side. I understand the joint practices, but why limit yourself to them? It's not like the teams can freely play each other whenever they like before the season 

No coach in the history of football is right all the time.   Belichick, Shula, Walsh, Noll, Lombardi, they all make mistakes.   

But the better ones make far fewer mistakes, and they tend to do better in the big moments of big games. 

If Richardson didn’t play last night, it means Steichen was pleased with the work he got in the two scrimmages during the week.   No need to risk injury for a couple of series of a pre-season game. 

There will be plenty to second guess Steichen about.   That’s what fans do.   But if he makes more right decisions with AR than wrong ones, then the Colts future might be very bright.   

30 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Also, as I said in another post that poster is entitled to think what he wants but other people are also entitled to tell him why they think he’s wrong.

I agree. It is the way that the poster is told about being wrong that I believe can be different. (I know you know that but some may not.)

For example, one fan took words out of context to demean the poster, saying the poster had "no idea" and then put other words in capital. I thought the words in capital and the comment about "no idea" were not necessary.

16 minutes ago, AKB said:

well yeah, but if a poster ignores all the circumstances surrounding a topic,,, they're gonna get laughed at. 

People need not take everything as a personal affront when someone criticizes a move that they agree with. The poster thinks Richardson should have played. It is good to read thoughts and opinions about why the decision not to play may have been made without putting down the person with a different opinion. It is an exchange of viewpoints.

Last year I recall so many people bashing a poster who said he wished he had Dan Campbell instead of Frank Reich as head coach. Most of the board blasted him for that post. But by mid-season, those same fans who blasted him wanted to get rid of Reich.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This is where I get frustrated. I don't know why Steichen would agree to these terms. This benefits the Bears as Fields has more experience than Richardson. We got the short end of the stick here. 

Good lord man.   Are you for real?  

8 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I agree. It is the way that the poster is told about being wrong that I believe can be different. (I know you know that but some may not.)

For example, one fan took words out of context to demean the poster, saying the poster had "no idea" and then put other words in capital. I thought the words in capital and the comment about "no idea" were not necessary.

People need not take everything as a personal affront when someone criticizes a move that they agree with. The poster thinks Richardson should have played. It is good to read thoughts and opinions about why the decision not to play may have been made without putting down the person with a different opinion. It is an exchange of viewpoints.

Last year I recall so many people bashing a poster who said he wished he had Dan Campbell instead of Frank Reich as head coach. Most of the board blasted him for that post. But by mid-season, those same fans who blasted him wanted to get rid of Reich.

i hear ya, but it's like saying we should go run with our Husky dog in the heat, cause he needs to get used to it. 

and if that doesn't make sense, im a cat. 

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

What indiana did isn't healthy?   Do you live in Indiana?

I live in southern Indiana man… it’s a food desert at least down here in terms of healthy options. We have to drive 30-40 minutes away if we want something non-processed. 

Do YOU live in Indiana? Have you been to the state fair? There’s a reason we rank in the bottom of the nation for health and fitness and at the top for heart conditions and cancer… I’ve lost plenty of friends and family to both and I’m only in my 30s…

Just now, RollerColt said:

I live in southern Indiana man… it’s a food desert at least down here in terms of healthy options. We have to drive 30-40 minutes away if we want something non-processed. 

Do YOU live in Indiana? Have you been to the state fair? There’s a reason we rank in the bottom of the nation for health and fitness and at the top for heart conditions and cancer… I’ve lost plenty of friends and family to both and I’m only in my 30s…

In fairness no state fair has healthy food lol.

17 minutes ago, AKB said:

Be careful, laughing at such silliness will label You the bad guy here.

Imagine, you with at best casual knowledge, knowing what's best over an expert coach and staff with all their FB experience and total devotion to the process. Is it comical, or sad? Good discussion? Ignore?

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

It stops being an opinion when they state it as a fact that Richardson will not be ready for week one when they have no way to know that and clearly have no way to know it more than the coach who just this week felt Richardson was ready enough to be named the starter.  Clearly Shane is seeing things that make him feel Richardson is ready.  

As for the mountain out of mole comment that has to do with this debate as a whole.  I’ll keep saying it Richardson isn’t going to be success or bust because he did or did not play last night.  Pretending that it’s going to have some huge impact on his career is making a mountain out of a mole hill.

^^^^^^^^^^^^  THIS!!  ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Only sorry I can’t give this 100 likes!    :worthy:

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

homer simpson eating GIF

I Don't Believe Anyone On These Boards Are Or Have Been NFL HEAD COACHS .

So Its Funny To Read Some Of These Comments .

I Believe This Subject was Brought Up By The Commentators AR Had those 2 Practices With The Bears & The Coaches felt That Was good Enough No More To Be Gained .

I Did Want To see Him Play & yes I Was disappointed But I gotta believe The Colts Coachs Understand The Situation Better Than Arm Chair G.M's ..

Andrew Luck Was Destroyed because Of Colts Coachs lack of protection As was Peyton Manning there Protecting The franchise .

Its gonna be a long season & He will be playing this is BABY STEPS If AR Wins 3 Games He'll have as good a record as 18 I think he'll do better just because he can run .

Just because they named him QB1 does'nt mean he will start every game especially preseason . Its just practice ..Many players were rested ..

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Hoosier food is delicious I’ll say that much. We’re still probably the only place on Earth that serves nacho cheese with our breadsticks, and I’m thankful to have access to it lol…

That GIF was Homer eating a FRIED Waffle Butter on a stick haha . Something you would see at the fair.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That GIF was Homer eating a FRIED Waffle Butter on a stick haha . Something you would see at the fair.

I had it for the first time when I was 6. It’s different for sure but certainly tastes good. These days I’m all about ribeye sandwiches and tenderloins. My kiddos are super into fried chicken, and are spoiled with all of the delicious options down here!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

I had it for the first time when I was 6. It’s different for sure but certainly tastes good. These days I’m all about ribeye sandwiches and tenderloins. My kiddos are super into fried chicken, and are spoiled with all of the delicious options down here!

happy homer simpson GIF- in this episode, he puts down 6 Rib sandwich's at once and gets sauce all over him lmao . It is based on the McRib from McDonalds.

I love fried Chicken, Mash Potatoes and Gravy with it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

I Don't Believe Anyone On These Boards Are Or Have Been NFL HEAD COACHS .

So Its Funny To Read Some Of These Comments .

I Believe This Subject was Brought Up By The Commentators AR Had those 2 Practices With The Bears & The Coaches felt That Was good Enough No More To Be Gained .

I Did Want To see Him Play & yes I Was disappointed But I gotta believe The Colts Coachs Understand The Situation Better Than Arm Chair G.M's ..

Andrew Luck Was Destroyed because Of Colts Coachs lack of protection As was Peyton Manning there Protecting The franchise .

Its gonna be a long season & He will be playing this is BABY STEPS If AR Wins 3 Games He'll have as good a record as 18 I think he'll do better just because he can run .

Just because they named him QB1 does'nt mean he will start every game especially preseason . Its just practice ..Many players were rested ..

I got about 14 words into reading this and your complete and utterly baffling use of capitalised letters on seemingly random words was too distracting for me to read any further on.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

I got about 14 words into reading this and your complete and utterly baffling use of capitalised letters on seemingly random words was too distracting for me to read any further on.

Makes me thankful for attending 2nd grade.