Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How are other rookie qb doing??

Trace Pyott

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

We should probably be prepared to see some of the same from AR.

Texans OL was depleted - and it showed.

I will say this. With AR legs there is probably a very high floor with him that should help Steichen simplify the game plan early in his career. Just not sure we will see him use his legs much Saturday. Don’t need him to get hurt.

26 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I will say this. With AR legs there is probably a very high floor with him that should help Steichen simplify the game plan early in his career. Just not sure we will see him use his legs much Saturday. Don’t need him to get hurt.

I am almost glad that we ended up with AR because of his speed. Stroud actually isn't that fast. If the O.Line is playing crappy or bogs down, i would trust AR to make something happen over any of the rookie QB's.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am almost glad that we ended up with AR because of his speed. Stroud actually isn't that fast. If the O.Line is playing crappy or bogs down, i would trust AR to make something happen over any of the rookie QB's.

I bashed Stroud because of the S2 Cognitive test. I also thought he wasn't very bright. In a football sense, the preseason has proven the test correct to this point. Hopefully, Richardson looks better than Stroud on Saturday.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I bashed Stroud because of the S2 Cognitive test. I also thought he wasn't very bright. In a football sense, the preseason has proven the test correct to this point. Hopefully, Richardson looks better than Stroud on Saturday.

I was hoping to see more of a Stroud. They took him out quickly. Hard to tell what to take from his play tonight, he did have an INT and took a 15 yard sack.

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was hoping to see more of a Stroud. They took him out quickly. Hard to tell what to take from his play tonight, he did have an INT and took a 15 yard sack.

I heard he was playing 10-15 snaps. So I didn't use him in preseason lineups tonight. Was wondering how he'd do with the 1's. This could hurt his chances at starting the year as the no1 QB.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Davis Mills looked good.

Yep. He looked like he should be the starter at the beginning of the season. Wasn't perfect, but he found some chemistry with Tank Dell. That guy looks good. He was dominating in Texans training camp, and he has shown it in week 1 of the preseason. I'm hoping Downs can have a similar game on Saturday.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep. He looked like he should be the starter at the beginning of the season. Wasn't perfect, but he found some chemistry with Tank Dell. That guy looks good. He was dominating in Texans training camp, and he has shown it in week 1 of the preseason. I'm hoping Downs can have a similar game on Saturday.

He reminds me of Downs. Davis Mills is sort of like Minshew. Great vet backup's, can even win you a few games as a starter but not guy's that will probably ever be long term starters anywhere. Like Brissett.

Stroud small sample size didn't look that great but no way I'm taking that and forming any serious opinions about it on a rookie QB. I've seen vet QBs come out in real games and not look good in 4 attempts. The sample size is pretty little. Don't be shocked if AR has a bad outing as well. You'd like for it all to be smooth but we've all been watching ball long enough to know it doesn't work like that. These guys are learning the difference between college and pro.

49 minutes ago, krunk said:

Stroud small sample size didn't look that great but no way I'm taking that and forming any serious opinions about it on a rookie QB. I've seen vet QBs come out in real games and not look good in 4 attempts. The sample size is pretty little. Don't be shocked if AR has a bad outing as well. You'd like for it all to be smooth but we've all been watching ball long enough to know it doesn't work like that. These guys are learning the difference between college and pro.

The pass rushers are so much faster in the NFL for one. 

I will say this, I have a bit more confidence on our coaching staff working with AR compared to Houston. I don't really know much about Houston's OC other than he's worked with the 49ers for years. So you can expect him to install a similar type of offense that he used with Purdy. That offense relied on CMC and the running game to help the rookie out. 

With this Texan o-line they might have some trouble even with the running game. 

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

The pass rushers are so much faster in the NFL for one. 

I will say this, I have a bit more confidence on our coaching staff working with AR compared to Houston. I don't really know much about Houston's OC other than he's worked with the 49ers for years. So you can expect him to install a similar type of offense that he used with Purdy. That offense relied on CMC and the running game to help the rookie out. 

With this Texan o-line they might have some trouble even with the running game. 

Take what u saw with their O line with a grain of salt. No detailed game planning and blocking plans. Will likely look different during the season. Houston supposed to have a good line.

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

Take what u saw with their O line with a grain of salt. No detailed game planning and blocking plans. Will likely look different during the season. Houston supposed to have a good line.

I think I read somewhere that Houston has lost like 3 or 4 OL during camp (not sure if anything major, but just something to note).  I also didn't watch the game last night so not sure what the announcers had to say on the state of their OL.  But it could be ugly over there for a bit.

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

True. I'm just curious to see how CJ fits within the scheme Houston is putting together. 

My concern for CJ is I'm not sure they are even going to have a good ground game to take some heat off him. I don't think Pierce and the kid from the Bills will be good enough. I feel like it's going to be more of an air it out thing for them.

I wanted Bryce Young in the draft, posted it many times but the 2nd guy I wanted was actually AR. It was because he is a dual QB to the extreme, lightning fast and strong. To me Stroud had an all-world Offensive Line and great WR's at Ohio State. He isn't that fast either. If his Line stinks in Houston, he will be in big trouble. Regarding Levis, I am glad we passed on him, AR will be better.

Bryce Young's durability will be interesting to watch because of his size but he has very little weaknesses. He is quick enough and makes decisions pretty quickly in the pocket. I have Carolina winning that division if he stays healthy.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I wanted Bryce Young in the draft, posted it many times but the 2nd guy I wanted was actually AR. It was because he is a dual QB to the extreme, lightning fast and strong. To me Stroud had an all-world Offensive Line and great WR's at Ohio State. He isn't that fast either. If his Line stinks in Houston, he will be in big trouble. Regarding Levis, I am glad we passed on him, AR will be better.

Bryce Young's durability will be interesting to watch because of his size but he has very little weaknesses. He is quick enough and makes decisions pretty quickly in the pocket. I have Carolina winning that division if he stays healthy.

Bryce for sure has the biggest chance for immediate success in the short term. 

We're on a different schedule now with Anthony and I'm okay with it. 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Exactly.  And on a number of his snaps, Houston's pass protection looked about as good as ours did last season -- which is to say defenders were to him almost instantly.

The pocket held up pretty well on his INT.  It looks like he just telegraphed the pass and Mills read his eyes and jumped the lane.

Anyway, anybody making too much of a QB's first appearance in live NFL play needs to dial it back.  They almost all struggle for a while.

8 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Bryce for sure has the biggest chance for immediate success in the short term. 

We're on a different schedule now with Anthony and I'm okay with it. 

Yeah, Bryce is the most seasoned of the group and probably has the skillset to adapt to a legit starter-quality QB before the others do.

If I'm only judging by what I saw in the Texans game last night, I'd say that Mills should be starting over Stroud.  He was clearly sharper -- which should come as no surprise at this point.

8 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Yeah, Bryce is the most seasoned of the group and probably has the skillset to adapt to a legit starter-quality QB before the others do.

If I'm only judging by what I saw in the Texans game last night, I'd say that Mills should be starting over Stroud.  He was clearly sharper -- which should come as no surprise at this point.

I would've been more surprised had CJ dominated to be honest. 

What I am looking for out of AR is how he read defenses and how fast he gets rid of the ball. Those 2 things are so important. Now luckily for AR if he is struggling with that early, he can take off and run and make something happen. QB's like Brady, Peyton, and Rivers were the kings regarding my 1st sentence, they had to be because they had cement in their pants lmao .  -(as in slow). 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Everyone said that after the Colts first preseason game last year.

13 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I bashed Stroud because of the S2 Cognitive test. I also thought he wasn't very bright. In a football sense, the preseason has proven the test correct to this point. Hopefully, Richardson looks b uttetter than Stroud on Saturday.

Preseason doesn't prove anything though

It's just a warm-up 

2 hours ago, krunk said:

My concern for CJ is I'm not sure they are even going to have a good ground game to take some heat off him. I don't think Pierce and the kid from the Bills will be good enough. I feel like it's going to be more of an air it out thing for them.

Pierce is very good, if he is healthy fully after the injury. However, he's not elite and got shut down in few games.. But, Singletary and he could help their offense fair enough to not having to rely on CJ all the time 

39 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Depending on how the Texans preseason games go I won’t be shocked if Mills gets the start the first couple games.

From what I've seen/listened to, Stroud has all but locked up that starting QB job in practice.  Guess it would possibly hinge on the next 2 preseason games going a lot less catastrophically for him though.  He should get more than 4 pass attempts next time, I'd hope lol

Archived