Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck will be eligible for the HOF in 2024

ADnum1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Please re-Read this post by you again.   Then try to tell me how much you know and respect Gale Sayers.   The answer is, almost not at all.  

Despite being 52,  you make the same mistake that younger generations make all the time.   You judge players from past generations by todays modern standard.  Sayers played over 50 years ago and you have no idea how much the game has changed.   None. 

Here's how little you know about Sayers and history.   Do you know who Sayers was?   He was Barry Sanders before Sanders was even born.   He could do things that nobody else could, not even Jim Brown, the best RB of all-time could do.   That isn’t to say Sayers was better than Brown — he clearly wasn’t.   But he was different.   He was shockingly fast and quick, could cut sharply at top speed like no one before him, even on a muddy field. 
No one had ever seen anything like Sayers.   
He was electrifying, eye popping and jaw dropping all at the same time. 

He played during an era when defenses dominated.   Defense was way WAY ahead of offense back then.  You’ve laughed that Sayers only had two 1,000 yard seasons.  Back then, a 1,000 yard season was a huge accomplishment.   The second time Sayers did it, he was the ONLY running back to do it that year.   No one else.   The game was drastically different way back then.  The season where Sayers hurt his knee for the first time, he had over 850 yards, but in just 9 games.   He was headed for 1300 yards, the type of feat only Jim Brown was doing. 

As for the injury….  More that you clearly don’t understand.   Sayers suffered what was then a catastrophic injury.  The type that would end the career for most RBs.  But Sayers overcame the injury and while he was never quite the same as prior to his injury, he was still great enough to have another 1,000 yard season before he suffered a second knee injury which ultimately ended his career.   The view of Sayers was nothing less than heroic.   

Sayers has career average per carry of  5.0.   Including seasonal averages of 5.2, 5.4, 4.7 and 6.2.   Those are crazy numbers.   They’d be great today, but back then it was almost incomprehensible.  This was at a time that anything over 4.5 almost made you great.   For decades, Sayers held the record for most returns for TD with 8, even in a shortened career.   He has career punt return averages of nearly 15, and kick off of nearly 31.   

You keep making arguments based on his career totals.  You mock him for not achieving 5,000 yards.  Without context (which you don’t offer) they’re almost worthless.  

You clearly don’t understand NFL history.  
You clearly don’t understand the importance of Gale Sayers.   It’s why you belittle the media who rave about them.   But you think they’re all wrong and you’re right.   Because you do your homework.  
Sorry, it’s just not enough.   Not even close.  

Apologies for how long this was.   Tomorrow, an equally long post (longer?) about quarterbacks.   Your view there also lacks complete context.   You think the era has nothing to do with the stat totals.   You couldn’t be more wrong.    It has everything to do with it.   Sorry. 

I know how important Gayle Sayers was to football. I know all about his Injury. I know he was an insane talent. 

All I basically said was he never won anything = A championship, that statistically he doesn't measure up to a lot of backs, and that he is overrated. I never once said he didn't belong in the HOF. Back when he played the RB was a focal point to many offenses. Look at the 1972 Dolphins for example, they went undefeated and their offense was primarily a run offense with Csonka and Morris - both had 1000 yards rushing that season on the same team. Not 1 thing I said is false. When I gave you 12 backs that have been clearly better, you had no response because you know I am right. 

I consider you one of the best posters on here, but you saying I don't know my history is an insult. I have never had 1 person that I even know personally that would tell me that. 

Regarding Namath, you can save the long post. I already know what you are going to post. I get it. SB 3 was the gigantic milestone in his career is the bottom line and boosted his legacy. Everyone knows that.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2023 at 6:10 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep, that has been my avatar since I have been a member in here. IMO, regardless of the way he retired, I still think Luck is the 3rd greatest QB in Colts history. Only behind Peyton and Unitas. I think he was better than Jones and definitely better than Harbaugh. Jones did win a League MVP but Luck had a much better record with little to work with and Luck had more playoff wins + Statistically between he and Jones, it isn't even close in favor of Luck.

You know I'm going to disagree with you here my friend. Lol

Imo, Luck isn't worthy of holding Jones jockstrap. Jones was forced out because of injuries. luck excused himself out because the NFL overwhelmed him mentally and he wanted a easier life with no pressure. Which was ok for him and his right but he let a lot of people down in the process and in your own words set the franchise back 5 years. 

As far as playing, you can't compare stats from different era's. Besides of having Charisma off the charts, Jones was known as the Best QB in Football in his day while  I dont think luck was  considered a Top 6 while playing.... Brady, Rogers, Peyton, Breese, Rorhlisberger, and Rivers were considered higher ranked by most. He was more in the tier that included Stafford, Ryan. Well inside the Top 10 but not near #1.

Jones was said to be Elway before Elway was Elway. When asked who was the Best QB he ever seen Bill Belichek said "Bert Jones was hard to beat"!!! He didn't say Luck, he didn't even say Manning or his very own Brady.... he said Bert Jones!!!

I know how you feel about Luck and you know how I feel about Jones so its ok to disagree. I know you think highly of Jones too, I wish I felt similar toward Luck.

Hopefully, our guy presently(AR5) will be more successful than them with more playoff wins including some titles too. Like I said you can't compare different era's but Both Jones & AR5 have one thing in common, both are the most athletically gifted QBs in their day and that should mean at the very least we should have fun watching colt games for years. 

The thing we need to hope for is for AR5 not have the one thing Jones & Luck both shared......playing wreckless. 

He needs to play smart and stay out of harms way. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The poster said SB 3, all I did was correct him. Not my mistake. He later admitted it was another game.

I know it wasn’t your mistake.   I was simply clarifying the situation.  I knew the actual game the other poster was referencing.   A regular season game that featured roughly 900+ yards passing and roughly 85-90 points.   A famous shootout for the ages.   That’s all.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know how important Gayle Sayers was to football. I know all about his Injury. I know he was an insane talent. 

All I basically said was he never won anything = A championship, that statistically he doesn't measure up to a lot of backs, and that he is overrated. I never once said he didn't belong in the HOF. Back when he played the RB was a focal point to many offenses. Look at the 1972 Dolphins for example, they went undefeated and their offense was primarily a run offense with Csonka and Morris - both had 1000 yards rushing that season on the same team. Not 1 thing I said is false. When I gave you 12 backs that have been clearly better, you had no response because you know I am right. 

I consider you one of the best posters on here, but you saying I don't know my history is an insult. I have never had 1 person that I even know personally that would tell me that. 

Regarding Namath, you can save the long post. I already know what you are going to post. I get it. SB 3 was the gigantic milestone in his career is the bottom line and boosted his legacy. Everyone knows that. 

Please don’t insult me telling me you knew all about Sayers.   You made zero positive arguments in his favor and called him the most over-rated RB in the Hall.   No one who knows the full Sayers story would ever write the nonsense you’ve written about Sayers.  And you’ve trashed the media for what they’ve said about Sayers.  More proof that you just don’t get Sayers and his legacy.   Not even a little. 

I didn’t say anything about your 12 RB’s because it’s pointless because it’s just your opinion.   It’s not fact, as much as you like to think that your opinion IS fact.   You continue to judge players of eras 50 years ago by today’s modern standards.   Who cares that a RB didn’t win anything?   Plenty of RB’s didn’t.   It doesn’t mean a thing. 

As for Namath, you have no idea — none —  what I’m going to say.   Absolutely none.  As you had no idea what I’d say about Sayers.   Was SB3 the highlight if his career?   Of course.   But there’s plenty more, and I’d bet you know little to none of it.  Namath’s career isn’t only about one game, even if it’s the most important part of his career.   The idea that you think the NFL passing game hasn’t changed and you can tell who was good or not by the TD/Int ratio is flat out false.    You think it’s true, you’ve written that here.   It’s not.   The football world we all live in these days is dramatically different than the 60’s and 70’s.   The performance of almost all quarterbacks back then says so. 

More to come, even if you won’t read it.  Not surprised.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Please don’t insult me telling me you knew all about Sayers.   You made zero positive arguments in his favor and called him the most over-rated RB in the Hall.   No one who knows the full Sayers story would ever write the nonsense you’ve written about Sayers.  And you’ve trashed the media for what they’ve said about Sayers.  More proof that you just don’t get Sayers and his legacy.   Not even a little. 

I didn’t say anything about your 12 RB’s because it’s pointless because it’s just your opinion.   It’s not fact, as much as you like to think that your opinion IS fact.   You continue to judge players of eras 50 years ago by today’s modern standards.   Who cares that a RB didn’t win anything?   Plenty of RB’s didn’t.   It doesn’t mean a thing. 

As for Namath, you have no idea — none —  what I’m going to say.   Absolutely none.  As you had no idea what I’d say about Sayers.   Was SB3 the highlight if his career?   Of course.   But there’s plenty more, and I’d bet you know little to none of it.  Namath’s career isn’t only about one game, even if it’s the most important part of his career.   The idea that you think the NFL passing game hasn’t changed and you can tell who was good or not by the TD/Int ratio is flat out false.    You think it’s true, you’ve written that here.   It’s not.   The football world we all live in these days is dramatically different than the 60’s and 70’s.   The performance of almost all quarterbacks back then says so. 

More to come, even if you won’t read it.  Not surprised.  

"The idea that you think the passing game hasn't changed". Wow, that comment alone is insulting. I know it has changed. It is much different now even compared to the 80's.

Regarding the 12 backs I named that were better, yeah technically it is opinion but i have strong evidence to back up that opinion. You or anyone can say anything is opinion - that is an easy way out when something is obvious, for example if I said Michael Jordan was better than Dr J,  it is opinion but pretty much fact on every level. Dr J was great but I used him because he was looked at as someone great that played a real long time ago.

I never insulted you regarding your knowledge, you did towards me. It is what it is. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

You know I'm going to disagree with you here my friend. Lol

Imo, Luck isn't worthy of holding Jones jockstrap. Jones was forced out because of injuries. luck excused himself out because the NFL overwhelmed him mentally and he wanted a easier life with no pressure. Which was ok for him and his right but he let a lot of people down in the process and in your own words set the franchise back 5 years. 

As far as playing, you can't compare stats from different era's. Besides of having Charisma off the charts, Jones was known as the Best QB in Football in his day while  I dont think luck was  considered a Top 6 while playing.... Brady, Rogers, Peyton, Breese, Rorhlisberger, and Rivers were considered higher ranked by most. He was more in the tier that included Stafford, Ryan. Well inside the Top 10 but not near #1.

Jones was said to be Elway before Elway was Elway. When asked who was the Best QB he ever seen Bill Belichek said "Bert Jones was hard to beat"!!! He didn't say Luck, he didn't even say Manning or his very own Brady.... he said Bert Jones!!!

I know how you feel about Luck and you know how I feel about Jones so its ok to disagree. I know you think highly of Jones too, I wish I felt similar toward Luck.

Hopefully, our guy presently(AR5) will be more successful than them with more playoff wins including some titles too. Like I said you can't compare different era's but Both Jones & AR5 have one thing in common, both are the most athletically gifted QBs in their day and that should mean at the very least we should have fun watching colt games for years. 

The thing we need to hope for is for AR5 not have the one thing Jones & Luck both shared......playing wreckless. 

He needs to play smart and stay out of harms way. 

The problem is one can't throw out longevity. Jones may have been the better talent than Rivers but Rivers has had a Hall of Fame career. 

He'll if I really wanted to get cute, I can say Bo Jackson is the GOAT at RB. Nobody had his strength or speed but he got injured so he had no longevity, therefore his numbers weren't eye popping.

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

"The idea that you think the passing game hasn't changed". Wow, that comment alone is insulting. I know it has changed. It is much different now even compared to the 80's.

Regarding the 12 backs I named that were better, yeah technically it is opinion but i have strong evidence to back up that opinion. You or anyone can say anything is opinion - that is an easy way out when something is obvious, for example if I said Michael Jordan was better than Dr J,  it is opinion but pretty much fact on every level. Dr J was great but I used him because he was looked at as someone great that played a real long time ago.

I never insulted you regarding your knowledge, you did towards me. It is what it is. 

You insulted the media though lol! haha That's a no no in his book lol! haha 

On 7/12/2023 at 10:03 PM, PRnum1 said:

For some reason I cannot edit my post.  My numbers are not entirely accurate.

Over the first 6 seasons for any QB:

Luck had 171 passing TD’s (3rd all-time), trailing only Dan Marino and Patrick Mahomes.

23,671 passing yards (4th all-time), trailing only Peyton, Marino, Stafford and Mahomes.

275.2 passing yards per game.  Trailing only Stafford and Mahomes.

One of the NFL's best QBs before he retired.

@2006Coltsbestever

On 7/12/2023 at 9:30 PM, NewColtsFan said:

No.    And I’m as big a fan of Andrew Luck as there is, but no. 

Honestly, I think it would be awkward if he’s ever inducted to the Colts Ring of Honor.   Luck would probably get booed. 

Same. From another of Luck's biggest fans here... no. I think Colts Ring of Honor is more understandable. 

He was on his way to the HoF IMO, but unfortunatly Grigson, Pagano and the injuries derailed both his career and his chance at a gold jacket. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Emmitt had one season where he averaged over 5 ypc.  Sayers has a career 5 ypc.  One season he had 6.2 ypc.  His career was cut short,  but his talent is far from overrated 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You insulted the media though lol! haha That's a no no in his book lol! haha 

Funny but the media is wrong in this case ranking Gayle Sayers better than Emmitt and Eric all-time. That is an insult to RBs like Emmitt and Eric that had long dominating careers. This was on the NFL Network's top 100 list back in 2009. Emmitt and Eric both had already retired as well.

This all started because I said that Sayres was the most overrated RB of all-time. I never once said he wasn't great or didn't belong in the Hall though. So that alone shows people that I know Sayers was great.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Emmitt had one season where he averaged over 5 ypc.  Sayers has a career 5 ypc.  One season he had 6.2 ypc.  His career was cut short,  but his talent is far from overrated 

Like I posted above, I can say the same thing about Bo then. Bo arguably was the most talented, strongest, and fastest RB of all-time.

On 7/15/2023 at 5:13 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

I agree. Gale Sayers in the hall of fame is a joke. There's probably at least 50 rbs that are better than him (and that's being conservative). I could probably name 6-8 active rbs that i think are better than Sayers. Sometimes the HOF gets things horribly wrong, and this is one of those cases.

Among the worst takes you’ve ever posted.   And that’s saying something.   You couldn’t be more wrong. 

On 7/13/2023 at 4:20 AM, csmopar said:

here’s one from 4 August 2019…  18 days prior to his “retirement” . Clearly says at least twice that he will be ready to start week 1. 

peter: “Opening day is 5 weeks away, any doubt in your mind that you will play?”

Luck: “No, I certainly believe I will.”

Evidence is enough for me.

I chose to use a video so no one could say that he was misquoted. There’s also an article on the athletic that quotes luck on August 16th, 2019 as saying “We are taking it slow, but there is no doubt that I will be ready on September 8”. 

I’ve waited on this a few days, but it seems time to share this thought….

This interview was 18 days before the announcement.   Irsay and Ballard said they didn’t hear anything from Luck about retiring until roughly 7-10 days before the announcement.   So this video is NOT proof that Luck knew he was going to retire but lied about it.    

Hate Luck for what he did all you want,  but I don’t think you have a case that he lied. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Among the worst takes you’ve ever posted.   And that’s saying something.   You couldn’t be more wrong. 

Told you, you had the wrong person. This whole time you have been going back and forth with me. I never came close to what Jared said backing up homer simpson GIF- just because someone says someone is overrated doesn't mean they don't think they are great. I think Sayers belongs in the Hall, never said otherwise.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Told you, you had the wrong person. This whole time you have been going back and forth with me. I never came close to what Jared said backing up homer simpson GIF- just because someone says someone is overrated doesn't mean they don't think they are great. I think Sayers belongs in the Hall, never said otherwise.

Please stop while you’re behind.   Way way behind.   I’ve been dealing with you because you asked why I gave you a sad emoji.   That launched this ridiculous exchange.   

I expect more from you than I do from the other poster.   That was par for the course from him.   But your posts weren’t much better.   And if you think otherwise, you’re kidding yourself.   

This nonsense is exhausting…..   

44 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’ve waited on this a few days, but it seems time to share this thought….

This interview was 18 days before the announcement.   Irsay and Ballard said they didn’t hear anything from Luck about retiring until roughly 7-10 days before the announcement.   So this video is NOT proof that Luck knew he was going to retire but lied about it.    

Hate Luck for what he did all you want,  but I don’t think you have a case that he lied. 

And your excuse for the warm ups in pregame?

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Please stop while you’re behind.   Way way behind.   I’ve been dealing with you because you asked why I gave you a sad emoji.   That launched this ridiculous exchange.   

I expect more from you than I do from the other poster.   That was par for the course from him.   But your posts weren’t much better.   And if you think otherwise, you’re kidding yourself.   

is he really though? Prime example: Lebron James is highly overrated. HIGHLY. Does that mean he isn’t good? No. 

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The poster said SB 3, all I did was correct him. Not my mistake. He later admitted it was another game.

The poster didn't say that game was in SB 3. He said to watch the game where that happened.

So it was your mistake, you assumed what he meant. He clearly knew what he was referring to.

He didn't admit it was the wrong game, he just said he didn't clarify(for the unknowing(you)), that it wasn't in the SB 

You would think with your wealth of "NFL history" you claim to have, you would of knew what game he was talking about.

Guess you need to go back and do some more studying.

When he refered to Joe Willy SB win, that was a separate point.

36 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It truly is.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

All in the eye of the beholder 

Or just the stats…

Leaf played for 3 seasons, throwing for 3,666 yards with 14 tds over 30 interceptions and a 48.4 completion percentage… 

Luck played for 6 seasons, throwing for 23,671 yards with 171 tds, 83 interceptions and a 60.8 completion percentage… he also was in the playoffs 4 of his 6 seasons… 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

All in the eye of the beholder 

No.   You're wrong.   Obviously.   You are on a hill with a few others that are wrong.   So.   Most Colts fans still love Andrew and respect his decision.   A very few still hold some grudge for a guy they never met and have zero clue what he was going thru.    Any metric used,  he was better than Bert Jones.   Prove me wrong

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, w87r said:

The poster didn't say that game was in SB 3. He said to watch the game where that happened.

So it was your mistake, you assumed what he meant. He clearly knew what he was referring to.

He didn't admit it was the wrong game, he just said he didn't clarify(for the unknowing(you)), that it wasn't in the SB 

You would think with your wealth of "NFL history" you claim to have, you would of knew what game he was talking about.

Guess you need to go back and do some more studying.

When he refered to Joe Willy SB win, that was a separate point.

It truly is.

It was his 2nd paragraph is why I assumed he was talking about SB 3. When he said "Joe Willy and that Super Bowl was the catalyst"

The poster even said he did not clarify the game. Him and I are cool. So not sure why you are even bothered to comment and say I need to brush up on my studying. That is pretty odd, I have said nothing to you at all. 

Newcoltsfan insults my intelligence and says I don't know history and you jump on me. If you have something personal against me, Private message me and let me know. I am not going to get into it with a Mod, isn't worth it. I have nothing against you at all, never have. This place is getting more strange each day. 

• Like 1