Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Super improved Colts positive thread

5 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

It's an average record of 8.6 - 7.6... that's pretty average...

The Chiefs and Patriots for comparison in the same period:

Chiefs 119-59 with 3 conference championships and 2 SBs. An average record of 10.8 - 5.4

Patriots 123-55 with 4 conference championships and 3 SBs. An average record of 11.2 - 5.0

That's just over a decade of dominance from those teams. The Patriots are closer to two decades really. Granted the Patriots are on the decline, but the Chiefs will have a lot more years before they start declining. We had our time in the sun with Peyton at the rudder, but that doesn't mean we're a good team now. We have a lot of improving to do and unfortunately not a lot has happened in that regard the last 7+ years.

I understand that but I just made my post if someone's narrative wanted to take the Peyton years out. That is an easy thing to do if someone wants to say we have only been roughly a 9 win team on average since he has left which is still above average and better than half the league by the way. Realistically one can't take the Peyton years out of it to fit a narrative. They happened which my whole point is over the last 21 seasons we have been a top 5 franchise. 

I can take the Tom Brady years out of the equation to fit a negative narrative and have a 3 season sample size to do so in saying they have been a .500 team since the 2020 season. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I understand that but I just made my post if someone's narrative wanted to take the Peyton years out. That is an easy thing to do if someone wants to say we have only been roughly a 9 win team on average since he has left which is still above average and better than half the league by the way. Realistically one can't take the Peyton years out of it to fit a narrative. They happened which my whole point is over the last 21 seasons we have been a top 5 franchise. 

I can take the Tom Brady years out of the equation to fit a negative narrative and have a 3 season sample size to do so in saying they have been a .500 team since the 2020 season. 

The reason people want to take the Peyton years out of the equation is because they have ZERO bearing on how good the team is right now. They don’t matter in that regard. I understand being proud of what our team did during those years and I doubt there are any Colts fans who aren’t. But, they mean diddly-squat when viewing the team’s current state. 

Making a “super improved Colts positive thread” that has to look at what the team did a decade ago to achieve it’s super positivity is a little sad really and speaks volumes about the current state of the team. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Solid84 said:

The reason people want to take the Peyton years out of the equation is because they have ZERO bearing on how good the team is right now. They don’t matter in that regard. I understand being proud of what our team did during those years and I doubt there are any Colts fans who aren’t. But, they mean diddly-squat when viewing the team’s current state. 

Making a “super improved Colts positive thread” that has to look at what the team did a decade ago to achieve it’s super positivity is a little sad really and speaks volumes about the current state of the team. 

I do agree with this, but to keep on the positive, the Colts drafted a QB high in the draft, so hope has to be here. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Nothing wrong with living off past glories lol. This team may not win another SB in your or my life so hold on to it. 

I do agree that since 2010 this team has been garbage. The Luck years gave us a lot of hope but ultimately ended with injuries and disaster which has soured the whole era for most people. 

Since Luck retired we have been arguably a bottom 10 organization in the league. Some may say bottom 5 lol. For all Ballards good drafting the results have been pretty sad. 

But we have hope with a new QB and a new coach. Also if we suck really bad this year and get the number 1 pick say hi to Caleb Williams, the guy everyone is saying is the next Andrew Luck type prospect.

• Like 3

On 6/26/2023 at 2:05 PM, Nesjan3 said:

Nothing wrong with living off past glories lol. This team may not win another SB in your or my life so hold on to it. 

I do agree that since 2010 this team has been garbage. The Luck years gave us a lot of hope but ultimately ended with injuries and disaster which has soured the whole era for most people. 

Since Luck retired we have been arguably a bottom 10 organization in the league. Some may say bottom 5 lol. For all Ballards good drafting the results have been pretty sad. 

But we have hope with a new QB and a new coach. Also if we suck really bad this year and get the number 1 pick say hi to Caleb Williams, the guy everyone is saying is the next Andrew Luck type prospect.

I 100% agree with your first sentence = nothing wrong with living off past glories. Doesn't Patriots fans do that now, they haven't won a SB since 2018? The Steelers haven't won a SB since 2008, having a great history is all they have.

I 100% disagree with your comment = "I do agree since 2010 this team has been garbage", change "garbage" to average than you would have a point. Garbage is wrong but if you think so that is your opinion. Since 2010, we have only had 3 "garbage" seasons = 2011, 2017, and last season. In 2011, Peyton was out and in 2017 Luck didn't play all season. Throw those 2 garbage seasons out the window, we know why those happened. Last season has really been the only garbage season since 2010 where there wasn't a legitimate excuse for the way we played. Even then I could still say Leonard missed the whole season and Taylor missed most of the season. 

Since 2010 we still have a winning record at 106-103-1 (that even gives people the year Peyton was out in 2011), have won 3 Division Championships and have been to a Conference Championship Game. People that think history means nothing are way off base. I guess why even bring up Johnny Unitas or Bert Jones then? What is the point of even talking about them? The 6 SB's that the Patriots have won never happened I guess. lol.

Some just like to go off what happened the year before and say we have sucked for years. It is what it is. There is only 1 team that wins the SB, I can say every team failed in the NFL last season except KC if I wanted to be smart about it chuckling homer simpson GIF

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I 100% agree with your first sentence = nothing wrong with living off past glories. Doesn't Patriots fans do that now, they haven't won a SB since 2018? The Steelers haven't won a SB since 2008, having a great history is all they have.

I 100% disagree with your comment = "I do agree since 2010 this team has been garbage", change "garbage" to average than you would have a point. Garbage is wrong but if you think so that is your opinion. Since 2010, we have only had 3 "garbage" seasons = 2011, 2017, and last season. In 2011, Peyton was out and in 2017 Luck didn't play all season. Throw those 2 garbage seasons out the window, we know why those happened. Last season has really been the only garbage season since 2010 where there wasn't a legitimate excuse for the way we played. Even then I could still say Leonard missed the whole season and Taylor missed most of the season. 

Since 2010 we still have a winning record at 106-103-1 (that even gives people the year Peyton was out in 2011), have won 3 Division Championships and have been to a Conference Championship Game. People that think history means nothing are way off base. I guess why even bring up Johnny Unitas or Bert Jones then? What is the point of even talking about them? The 6 SB's that the Patriots have won never happened I guess. lol.

Some just like to go off what happened the year before and say we have sucked for years. It is what it is. There is only 1 team that wins the SB, I can say every team failed in the NFL last season except KC if I wanted to be smart about it chuckling homer simpson GIF

I dont know IMO if your a middling team you suck. Since Luck retired this team hasn't been able to get out of mediocre land. Just kind slowly sinking further and further.

So to me thats bad. We had a couple good season under Luck. But honestly that team was terrible with a generational QB carrying us to wins.

We had a clown GM who couldnt assemble an NFL roster. He failed on the Oline so bad that same generational QB suffered life changing injuries that caused him to retire.

So when I look back, a couple good seasons doesn't overcome how badly the organization failed Andrew.

So yah we were garbage those years also. I would say the 1 Rivers season was the 1 year we werent a crap team.

6 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

I dont know IMO if your a middling team you suck. Since Luck retired this team hasn't been able to get out of mediocre land. Just kind slowly sinking further and further.

So to me thats bad. We had a couple good season under Luck. But honestly that team was terrible with a generational QB carrying us to wins.

We had a clown GM who couldnt assemble an NFL roster. He failed on the Oline so bad that same generational QB suffered life changing injuries that caused him to retire.

So when I look back, a couple good seasons doesn't overcome how badly the organization failed Andrew.

So yah we were garbage those years also. I would say the 1 Rivers season was the 1 year we werent a crap team.

Imo the Peyton Manning era spoiled most people. Specifically from 2002-2010 where we won 10 or more games for 9 straight seasons. We went 109-35 in that time frame and went to 2 SBs, winning the one in 2006. I honestly don't see us ever being that good again. The only way to top those numbers is, if we build a team that can win more than 1 SB. There will never be another Peyton Manning. Patriots fans are in the same boat we are in now. There will never be another Tom Brady either, they have been a .500 team over the last 3 seasons without Tom. I have them finishing last in the AFC East as of now going into 2023.

2 hours ago, AKB said:

Wow we really haven't accomplished % in the last 5 years. 

Neither has half the league. Last 5 seasons the Colts are still better than .500 at 41-40-1 with a playoff win. To save everyone time that wants to be negative, just say we sucked last season. 1 season, big deal. 2011 Peyton was out and in 2017 Luck was out, so being bad those seasons was going to be obvious lmao.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2023 at 9:05 PM, Nesjan3 said:

Nothing wrong with being proud of the teams accomplishments. What annoys me is when it’s used as an excuse for being an entirely forgettable team now

“We’ve won a Super Bowl” has seriously been used as an argument for why we are better than the Titans over the course of Ballard’s time here. I don’t get it…

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Neither has half the league. Last 5 seasons the Colts are still better than .500 at 41-40-1 with a playoff win. To save everyone time that wants to be negative, just say we sucked last season. 1 season, big deal. 2011 Peyton was out and in 2017 Luck was out, so being bad those seasons was going to be obvious lmao.

yeah, that is a completely fair point. 

I guess I just have high expectations for our franchise. 

But honestly, if you look at the years you listed out its clearly carried by Peyton/Luck - and we haven't really done anything since. Rivers being the exception ofc. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Nothing wrong with being proud of the teams accomplishments. What annoys me is when it’s used as an excuse for being an entirely forgettable team now

“We’ve won a Super Bowl” has seriously been used as an argument for why we are better than the Titans over the course of Ballard’s time here. I don’t get it…

Agreed! Many here will say Ballard was a better GM than Polian and Grigson, but the records state otherwise no matter how it's sugar coated.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter Nova said:

Agreed! Many here will say Ballard was a better GM than Polian and Grigson, but the records state otherwise no matter how it's sugar coated.

No one would debate that Polian is a better GM than Chris Ballard.   It’s not even a discussion.   Polian is a first ballot Hall of Famer.   

But long before you joined this website the debate between Grigson and Ballard has been settled.    And without any sugar costing,  Grigson lost.   If you don’t like Ballard, that’s fine.   But the debate between the two did not go as you see it.  

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

No one would debate that Polian is a better GM than Chris Ballard.   It’s not even a discussion.   Polian is a first ballot Hall of Famer.   

But long before you joined this website the debate between Grigson and Ballard has been settled.    And without any sugar costing,  Grigson lost.   If you don’t like Ballard, that’s fine.   But the debate between the two did not go as you see it.  

I think most fans think of Grigson as the man who ruined Luck's career. 

It's hard to separate those two things when comparing Grigson to anyone, let alone the current GM.  Obviously, it's hard to compare as well because the argument almost always reverts to "But Grigs and Pags had Luck, so GG"

It really is almost a pointless discussion, so to say its been settled and agreed upon is stretching it for sure. 

• Like 1

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

I look at records, not who drafts okay and is nice to the media. Their records as GMs don't compare no matter how anyone wants to sugar coat it. Love the Colts, but Ballard's resume is very uninspiring and the Colts have been stale under his leadership. Just my opinion.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AKB said:

I think most fans think of Grigson as the man who ruined Luck's career. 

It's hard to separate those two things when comparing Grigson to anyone, let alone the current GM.  Obviously, it's hard to compare as well because the argument almost always reverts to "But Grigs and Pags had Luck, so GG"

It really is almost a pointless discussion, so to say its been settled and agreed upon is stretching it for sure. 

Perhaps….   Clearly there’s been no official poll….   I’m simply going by the majority of responses here on this website.   And in my view more posters would say Ballard is a better GM than Grigson.   And that comes after an epically bad season and a career record that’s clearly worse than Grigson.   So my praise may not mean much, I don’t think being better than Grigson is saying a whole lot.    Just my perspective.  

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Perhaps….   Clearly there’s been no official poll….   I’m simply going by the majority of responses here on this website.   And in my view more posters would say Ballard is a better GM than Grigson.   And that comes after an epically bad season and a career record that’s clearly worse than Grigson.   So my praise may not mean much, I don’t think being better than Grigson is saying a whole lot.    Just my perspective.  

oh yeah, I agree. numerics-wise, especially with fan sentiment the numbers will favor Ballard. He wasn't the guy that "ruined" a generational QB talent. so with that being said, it kind of contaminates a fan poll.

I suppose the only way to really truly settle it would be to find non-colts-related rankings and see how they compared over their first 5 years or whatever Grigs had. 

Draft ratings

FA ratings

Staff Ratings

pool those ratings, and then average. but imo, fan sentiment isn't the deciding factor here. Because really, Ballard hasn't accomplished anything other than drafting Nelson and Leonard.  And by those marks - most could flip the argument, or at least say that it balances --> but then we get into a perpetual "QB position is too heavily weighted to compare to generational LG, and ILB"..

^ so that's why I tend to say the conversation is hard to have on this board, or with any colt fan in general that watched what happened to Andrew. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/23/2023 at 7:19 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To all the people down on the team, let me remind you of our history. Since re-alignment of the divisions in 2002, here is what we have done since then.

2002 = 10-6 (0-1 in the playoffs)

2003 = 12-4 (2-1 in the playoffs, lost in the AFC Championship Game) Division Champs.

2004 = 12-4 (1-1 in the playoffs) Division Champs.

2005 = 14-2 (0-1 in the playoffs) Division Champs.

2006 = 12-4 (4-0 in the playoffs, SB Champions) Division Champs.

2007 = 13-3 (0-1 in the playoffs) Division Champs.

2008 = 12-4 (0-1 in the playoffs)

2009 = 14-2 (2-1 in the playoffs, AFC Champs, lost in the SB) Division Champs.

2010 = 10-6 (0-1 in the playoffs) Division Champs.

2011 = 2-14 (no playoffs)

2012 = 11-5 (0-1 in the playoffs)

2013 = 11-5 (1-1 in the playoffs) Division Champs.

2014 = 11-5 (2-1 in the playoffs, lost in the AFC Championship Game) Division Champs.

2015 = 8-8 (no playoffs)

2016 = 8-8 (no playoffs)

2017 = 4-12 (no playoffs)

2018 = 10-6 (1-1 in the playoffs)

2019 = 7-9 (no playoffs)

2020 = 11-5 (0-1 in the playoffs)

2021 = 9-8 (no playoffs)

2022 = 4-12-1 (no playoffs)

So I am giving everyone a 21 season sample size = 2002-2022. Here are the totals: 17 non losing seasons/at least 8 wins or more, 4 Conference Championship Games appearances = 2003/2006/2009/2014, 2 SB appearances = 2006/2009, 1 World Championship = 2006.

Overall W/L record = regular season 205-132-1/61% winnings. You win 61% of your regular season games over 21 seasons, that is phenomenal.  If you gamble and win 61% of the time you would be a millionaire The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO). Our playoff record isn't too bad either = 13-13 which is .500 but that is against the best competition out there. 13 wins is a lot. Most franchises would kill for our success over a 21 year span since re-alignment lmao . Winning it all in 2006 plants our greatness!

We have owned the AFC South since re-alignment (9 Division Championships) and have been a top 5 team/franchise since 2002 in the whole league. So the haters can suck it lmao . FACTS ARE WONDERFUL.

@Four2itus would have liked this.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AKB said:

oh yeah, I agree. numerics-wise, especially with fan sentiment the numbers will favor Ballard. He wasn't the guy that "ruined" a generational QB talent. so with that being said, it kind of contaminates a fan poll.

I suppose the only way to really truly settle it would be to find non-colts-related rankings and see how they compared over their first 5 years or whatever Grigs had. 

Draft ratings

FA ratings

Staff Ratings

pool those ratings, and then average. but imo, fan sentiment isn't the deciding factor here. Because really, Ballard hasn't accomplished anything other than drafting Nelson and Leonard.  And by those marks - most could flip the argument, or at least say that it balances --> but then we get into a perpetual "QB position is too heavily weighted to compare to generational LG, and ILB"..

^ so that's why I tend to say the conversation is hard to have on this board, or with any colt fan in general that watched what happened to Andrew. 

Look at your three metrics.   Draft rankings, FA rankings, and staff rankings.  

But here’s the deal, one poster here, and I suspect most Grigson supporters are going to simply say what was their W/L record.    That’s all they care about.  None of the other variables surrounding each term matters to them.   So they wouldn’t agree with your metrics. 

Look….  Clearly this is just my opinion.  Perhaps I overstated it to another poster?  If so, my bad.   I was trying to convey to him that these discussions have been going on here for years.  The poster has only been here for two months.   There are a number of perspectives here and I wanted to convey things weren’t as black and white as that poster thinks. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AKB said:

what happened to @Four2itus ?

I don't know. I think people come and go. I know that he did not like the negativity and was the first to ask for a Colts Positive Thread. Hopefully he will be back, as will others that we miss.

Are you feeling optimistic about the coming Colts season?

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I don't know. I think people come and go. I know that he did not like the negativity and was the first to ask for a Colts Positive Thread. Hopefully he will be back, as will others that we miss.

Are you feeling optimistic about the coming Colts season?

Oh yeah. This has been my favorite offseason by Ballard and co. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

But here’s the deal, one poster here, and I suspect most Grigson supporters are going to simply say what was their W/L record.    That’s all they care about.  None of the other variables surrounding each term matters to them.   So they wouldn’t agree with your metrics. 

Look….  Clearly this is just my opinion.  Perhaps I overstated it to another poster?  If so, my bad.   I was trying to convey to him that these discussions have been going on here for years.  The poster has only been here for two months.   There are a number of perspectives here and I wanted to convey things weren’t as black and white as that poster thinks. 

I hopped in at the end, so don't think I'm trying to argue, because im certainly not. 

nor do I even necessarily disagree with what you said, among colts fans, I agree with you, there is definitely a strong hatred for Grigs. I think there is the emotional damage that causes a bias there, whilst I believe in terms of overall success Ballard and Grigs aren't as far apart as some people think. 

i have not ever sought out and compiled non-colts-related rankings of those GM-related duties, but my guess is that they are closer than some people think. I'm pretty sure Ballard has been ranked at about 15 out of 32 in some recent GM rankings. 

its certainly a topic that always piques my interest. 

14 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I don't think anyone has used, "We've won a Super Bowl" for why we are better than the Titans over the course of Ballard's time here. To my knowledge not 1 person has said that.

Since Ballard has been here the Titans obviously have been better than us. 

I have just always said we have been the better overall franchise as a whole because of Winning % and the fact we have won a SB. Which is 100% fact. 

I appreciate what our franchise has done all-time, many don't for some reason. Andrew Luck never lost to the Titans. My point is, you can't always expect to be on top. Titans have been better than us for a few years, it happens. Bills have been better than the Patriots for 3 seasons now so should we just ignore the other 20 seasons prior the Patriots dominated them. If so that is laughable.

The Celtics have won 17 NBA Championships but does Denver have a better franchise because they won it all this season? No. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't think anyone has used, "We've won a Super Bowl" for why we are better than the Titans over the course of Ballard's time here. To my knowledge not 1 person has said that.

Since Ballard has been here the Titans obviously have been better than us. 

I have just always said we have been the better overall franchise as a whole because of Winning % and the fact we have won a SB. Which is 100% fact. 

I appreciate what our franchise has done all-time, many don't for some reason. Andrew Luck never lost to the Titans. My point is, you can't always expect to be on top. Titans have been better than us for a few years, it happens. Bills have been better than the Patriots for 3 seasons now so should we just ignore the other 20 seasons prior the Patriots dominated them. If so that is laughable.

The Celtics have won 17 NBA Championships but does Denver have a better franchise because they won it all this season? No. 

All Colts fans love and appreciate what the Colts have achieved during the Manning years. 

The Titans are better than us NOW. 

The Bills are better than the Patriots NOW. 
I don’t know basketball, so yeah… haha

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

All Colts fans love and appreciate what the Colts have achieved during the Manning years. 

I think some just expect the Colts to be the best team in the league every season. Nobody in here could give 2 craps about the Titans when Peyton and Luck were at QB. Now that they have been better than us for 4 measly seasons, some think they are the king. Did some people really think we would just be king every season? Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV- The Titans stink now going into 2023, they were a flash in the pan where they had a small window at winning the SB. We had basically a 12 season window from 2003-2014 where we had a chance to win a SB and we won one, even in 2020 with Rivers we went 11-5, same record as the Titans. If some hate Ballard and want to give up their fandom on 1 bad season, that is their problem. Go root for the Titans and Jags lmao 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I agree the Bills are better than Patriots NOW, about time after 2 decades. The Titans to me are about to implode. Henry is aging and Tannehill is a choke, Levis - no need to comment on him.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think some just expect the Colts to be the best team in the league every season. Nobody in here could give 2 craps about the Titans when Peyton and Luck were at QB. Now that have been better than us for 4 measily seasons, some think they are the king. Did some people really think we would just be king every season? Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV- The Titans stink now, they were a flash in the pan where they had a small window at winning the SB. We had basically a 12 season window from 2003-2014 where we had a chance to win a SB and we won one, even in 2020 with Rivers we went 11-5, same record as the Titans. If some hate Ballard and want to give up their fandom on 1 bad season, that is their problem. Go root for the Titans and Jags lmao 

I don’t think it’s about expecting to be king every season. I think it’s about not being content with being average or worse.

After 7 seasons with Ballard it’s about wanting to see progress and the results of Ballard’s philosophy. There are of course mitigating factors - no doubt -but overall we’ve regressed under Ballard. 

Reich was obviously a big reason for that and the reason he isn’t here anymore. We have a rookie QB now with huge upside, but I don’t think it’s a stretch to say Ballard will be gone if we aren’t at the very least contending for the division title over the next 3 maybe 4 years. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree the Bills are better than Patriots NOW, about time after 2 decades. The Titans to me are about to implode. Henry is aging and Tannehill is a choke, Levis - no need to comment on him.

Yeah Titans are looking at some down years I agree. Fingers crossed we’ll be the better team in the near future. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

I don’t think it’s about expecting to be king every season. I think it’s about not being content with being average or worse.

After 7 seasons with Ballard it’s about wanting to see progress and the results of Ballard’s philosophy. There are of course mitigating factors - no doubt -but overall we’ve regressed under Ballard. 

Reich was obviously a big reason for that and the reason he isn’t here anymore. We have a rookie QB now with huge upside, but I don’t think it’s a stretch to say Ballard will be gone if we aren’t at the very least contending for the division title over the next 3 maybe 4 years. 

I am not content and it sucks things haven't gone our way since 2019, although I enjoyed the 2020 season. We had Buffalo beat, but "had" is the key word. We lost and that is all people remember.

Lets see how the AR project works out, if it doesn't work out than I can really see some getting fed up with losing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

After winning in 2006, I just had the mindset anything after that is gravy. Not really content but satisfied to a point because we won it all. Of course I always want to see us win and still get upset when we lose so that hasn't changed.

I was a bit different. When we had Peyton Manning, I expected more than one championship. I was proven right when Peyton made 2 more SBs and won another one with the Broncos. If he would have had a better defense, we could have gotten to the SB a couple more times while Peyton was with Indy and probably won another title. 

I think Bill Polian was heavily overrated as a GM after looking back at it more from when I was a kid in those days and didn't know any better. He cost Peyton a chance at winning much more then he did on Indy. 

Also, after getting recent championships on the Braves, Avalanche, and Nuggets the last 3 years, I'm much more demanding of this team now that we have Richardson to succeed. Ballard has been the GM long enough where he should know what he's doing. If Richardson is a hit, I expect to make the playoffs every year and give ourselves a chance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I was a bit different. When we had Peyton Manning, I expected more than one championship. I was proven right when Peyton made 2 more SBs and won another one with the Broncos. If he would have had a better defense, we could have gotten to the SB a couple more times while Peyton was with Indy and probably won another title. 

I think Bill Polian was heavily overrated as a GM after looking back at it more from when I was a kid in those days and didn't know any better. He cost Peyton a chance at winning much more then he did on Indy. 

Also, after getting recent championships on the Braves, Avalanche, and Nuggets the last 3 years, I'm much more demanding of this team now that we have Richardson to succeed. Ballard has been the GM long enough where he should know what he's doing. If Richardson is a hit, I expect to make the playoffs every year and give ourselves a chance.

That is fair enough, I was just so happy we won in 2006 because the choke label came off. We also would forever be World Champions and we beat Tom Brady and BB. The relief part came because of the great teams in our conference at the time too. Pats, Steelers, Ravens, and Chargers were all worthy of being Champions in any 1 season during the Peyton run. Only regret I have is, we lost to the Saints. That stung. That would have gave us 2. We were better than the Saints. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is fair enough, I was just so happy we won in 2006 because the choke label came off. We also would forever be World Champions and we beat Tom Brady and BB. The relief part came because of the great teams in our conference at the time too. Pats, Steelers, Ravens, and Chargers were all worthy of being Champions in any 1 season during the Peyton run. Only regret I have is, we lost to the Saints. That stung. That would have gave us 2. We were better than the Saints. 

Yeah, I bet $300 on the Saints to win the SB against us because of hurricane Katrina. I was convinced it was rigged. Watched it with my parents, best friend at the time, and my cousin. Was really upset at the game obviously. That would have made the Colts run with Peyton elite. I kind of have to justify it with a mixture of the Colts and Broncos now for his career now, and that he still made 4 SBs and won two between the teams. I live in Colorado, so I loved him winning the SB on the Broncos, but it wasn't as special as if he would have done it here. Bittersweet.

If Richardson gets us 1 SB in his career, I will be very happy. I just want to make the playoffs every year so there's a realistic shot we can make a run at a SB in any given year. We'll probably never be the best team in the AFC again, but if we make the playoffs every year, we may be able to make the SB once or twice. It happened with the Braves, Avalanche, and Nuggets for me, it can happen with the Colts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

New member and long time lurker. I am not a Grigson supporter. I merely thought this entire thread was somewhat bizarre and carefully constructed to ignore the past six seasons under Ballard, which has been quite uninspiring. I noticed over the years when posters say anything negative or speak truth towards Ballard, folks get offended. Kinda sad! It's a message board that should be diverse of opinions, but clearly doesn't appear to be.  

I don't get the praise for a GM with a losing record after six years, who supposedly drafts lights out and the hatred for Grigson. The Grigson ruined Luck's career is comical along with Luck carried the Colts. A. Luck went 2-5 as the starter in 2015, while Hasselback and Freeman carried the Colts to a 6-3 record the rest of season. 

I stated in another thread good teams without an elite or very good QB can win a division title, win playoff games and sometimes go to a SB. You'd think with all the praise Ballard's achieved about being such an elite GM and talent evaluator after 6 seasons he would've at least won the division and a playoff game without Andrew.  

Hopefully, my post doesn't trigger or offend anyone. Simply one mans opinion on such a bizarre thread.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah, I bet $300 on the Saints to win the SB against us because of hurricane Katrina. I was convinced it was rigged. Watched it with my parents, best friend at the time, and my cousin. Was really upset at the game obviously. That would have made the Colts run with Peyton elite. I kind of have to justify it with a mixture of the Colts and Broncos now for his career now, and that he still made 4 SBs and won two between the teams. I live in Colorado, so I loved him winning the SB on the Broncos, but it wasn't as special as if he would have done it here. Bittersweet.

If Richardson gets us 1 SB in his career, I will be very happy. I just want to make the playoffs every year so there's a realistic shot we can make a run at a SB in any given run. We'll probably never be the best team in the AFC again, but if we make the playoffs every year, we may be able to make the SB once or twice. It happened with the Braves, Avalanche, and Nuggets for me, it can happen with the Colts.

Yeah I thought the win over the Saints would make the Peyton run elite as well, like the cherry on top. That game was a pile of bull, it look rigged to me as well and I hate using that word. No way in hell were they better than us. Almost everyone was rooting for the Saints because of Katrina and because we were so unbeatable that season. When Obama and Katie Couric was talking before the game in pre-game on CBS about Katrina and how fans should be pulling for the Saints, I was like Uh Oh. 

I was in Vegas at the time and stayed away from the game because I smelled something funny about it. Then the mistakes we made were comical as in shocking. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Peter Nova said:

New member and long time lurker. I am not a Grigson supporter. I merely thought this entire thread was somewhat bizarre and carefully constructed to ignore the past six seasons under Ballard, which has been quite uninspiring. I noticed over the years when posters say anything negative or speak truth towards Ballard, folks get offended. Kinda sad! It's a message board that should be diverse of opinions, but clearly doesn't appear to be.  

I don't get the praise for a GM with a losing record after six years, who supposedly drafts lights out and the hatred for Grigson. The Grigson ruined Luck's career is comical along with Luck carried the Colts. A. Luck went 2-5 as the starter in 2015, while Hasselback and Freeman carried the Colts to a 6-3 record the rest of season. 

I stated in another thread good teams without an elite or very good QB can win a division title, win playoff games and sometimes go to a SB. You'd think with all the praise Ballard's achieved about being such an elite GM and talent evaluator after 6 seasons he would've at least won the division and a playoff game without Andrew.  

Hopefully, my post doesn't trigger or offend anyone. Simply one mans opinion on such a bizarre thread.

Without Luck, no way we go 11-5 3 straight seasons, Grigs W/L record is inflated because of this. Luck pulled miracles off and gave up his body for this team to win.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Without Luck, no way we go 11-5 3 straight seasons, Grigs W/L record is inflated because of this. Luck pulled miracles off and gave us body for this team to win.

That could be said for any NFL GM who lost or doesn't have their generational, elite or very good QB. Fact remains, it doesn't diminish Ballard's lack of success the past six seasons.  The motivation partly behind this thread!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Peter Nova said:

That could be said for any NFL GM who lost or doesn't have their generational, elite or very good QB. Fact remains, it doesn't diminish Ballard's lack of success the past six seasons.  The motivation partly behind this thread!

This has truth to it. Good post. My main point is that Grigs rode Luck's coattails to people that want to point out that Grig's has a better record than Ballard. Had the roles been reversed and Ballard would have been GM when Luck came out, Ballard would have a great record.

Having said that, to your point, I can see people getting fed up with Ballard by now because we haven't found a solution since Luck has retired. If he was a great GM, your thinking is we should be winning by now again at a high rate so I get it. When people talk about greatest head coaches of all-time, I can never figure out why Joe Gibbs is never mentioned. He won a SB with 3 different QB's, only coach ever to do that. So I get everyone's point, I am glad I created this thread now. I am seeing all sides of everything.

• Like 1