Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

San Francisco and their QBs

gspdx

It has been really interesting to see what is going on in SF with the QBs.  I know Purdy hasn't won an NFC championship or Super Bowl, but it will be fun to see what their plan is going into next year.  

1. Do you go back to this year's plan and start Lance?
  2. Do you stay with Purdy - especially if he continues to perform at a high level?
  3. Do they want to trade one for draft picks (seems like that wouldn't be wise since both guys right now are cheap and they are already on their 3rd QB this year)?

I don't see them keeping Jimmy G since it would require a new contract.

So Brock and the 49ers are still winning games.  It will be fun to see how this plays out.

On 1/19/2023 at 3:53 AM, rayski said:

Shanahan shows us exactly why coaching and schemes matters. He makes the qb not the other way around

This is a great point.  I saw a post in another thread that said we need to wait until we know who the next coach is to decide which QB would fit the scheme.  I think that is wrong thinking.  A coach/coordinator needs to scheme to his team's strengths.  We need to pick who the team thinks is going to be the best QB.  If a coach can't scheme to his team's strengths then I don't want them. 

• San Fran is a very talented team
  • Shanahan is doing a great job scheming for Purdy's strengths
  • Purdy is still the one out there making plays, making reads, and limiting mistakes 

On 1/21/2023 at 7:40 PM, coltsfeva said:

Wouldn’t mind Jimmy as a one year QB, but he’s gonna want more than a year. 

If that is the case, I would take my chances with Mariota as a backup QB for 1 year. His relationship in Atlanta has soured after his benching. He would not mind a "show me" 1 year deal.

37 minutes ago, chad72 said:

They most likely sign Tom Brady in the off season and Trey Lance gets traded to the Titans, IMO.

I see Purdy is out at least 6 months.  This sure makes them have to make choices.  Lance, Purdy, Brady, Garropollo, Rodgers.   

Being that the team is stacked with talent, it is a desired location for Brady.  I can't see them trading Purdy, although he has some value.  if they would trade Purdy or Lance, I'd like the Colts to bring them here.

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

I see Purdy is out at least 6 months.  This sure makes them have to make choices.  Lance, Purdy, Brady, Garropollo, Rodgers.   

Being that the team is stacked with talent, it is a desired location for Brady.  I can't see them trading Purdy, although he has some value.  if they would trade Purdy or Lance, I'd like the Colts to bring them here.

Their assistant GM Ron Carthon was hired to be GM of Titans, Lance is most likely going there. It is definitely a desired location for Brady who grew up idolizing Montana and his home team, the 49ers, it is almost a certainty Brady goes there. Purdy will be backup and Jimmy G will be cut loose. 

I would draft a QB and sign Marcus Mariota or Jacoby Brissett for a 1 year deal as backup. 

24 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Their assistant GM Ron Carthon was hired to be GM of Titans, Lance is most likely going there. It is definitely a desired location for Brady who grew up idolizing Montana and his home team, the 49ers, it is almost a certainty Brady goes there. Purdy will be backup and Jimmy G will be cut loose. 

I would draft a QB and sign Marcus Mariota or Jacoby Brissett for a 1 year deal as backup. 

Mariota yes, big NO to Brisset.  Garapollo would be a good signing as well.  He's not too old like Ryan and he has been very accurate during his career.  Never a rating lower than 90 and 4 years with a rating above 101.2.  I know ratings doesn't show all but it is an indicator (matt Ryan 2022 rating - 83.9).  He would allow the Colts to not draft out of desperation.  I don't have a good feeling about this drafts QB's.  I think Richardson will end up having the best career and we can get him later and he can sit behind Jimmy for a year or 2.  

1 minute ago, Myles said:

Mariota yes, big NO to Brisset.  Garapollo would be a good signing as well.  He's not too old like Ryan and he has been very accurate during his career.  Never a rating lower than 90 and 4 years with a rating above 101.2.  I know ratings doesn't show all but it is an indicator (matt Ryan 2022 rating - 83.9).  He would allow the Colts to not draft out of desperation.  I don't have a good feeling about this drafts QB's.  I think Richardson will end up having the best career and we can get him later and he can sit behind Jimmy for a year or 2.  

Jimmy G won't want a 1 year deal, Mariota would be fine with it, IMO, and that is why I am also leaning Mariota.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Jimmy G won't want a 1 year deal, Mariota would be fine with it, IMO, and that is why I am also leaning Mariota.

Jimmy is young enough that we can go with him for a couple years and groom his replacement.  

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

Jimmy is young enough that we can go with him for a couple years and groom his replacement.  

I seen on one of the Jets sites yesterday that they were interested in Jimmy G. They were balking at Rogers big contract and the draft capital if they traded for him.  

I'm not sure how connected these guys are but it did draw my attention. 

2 minutes ago, sb41champs said:

I saw a "rumor" that the Niners "might" trade Trey Lance to the Titans.

Now WHY would they wanna go and do that - after giving up a "Kings Ransom" for him?????

Seems a bit strange.  I will believe it when I see it.

11 minutes ago, Myles said:

Well Tom Brady retired.  i was hoping the QB market would get saturated to help the Colts land a starter.   I just have no faith in this years draft class.

I think at this point Lance and Purdy stay in San Fran.  Jimmy will be packing his bags.  Somebody will want him.

NFC - seriously, who are the QBs there now after Tom retiring? Dak and Hurts besides Rodgers. If Rodgers goes to the Jets, the best QBs will be in the AFC. Panthers with Derek Carr or Bucs with Derek Carr makes a lot of sense.

NFC has it good that it has to deal with only 1 team from the AFC in the SB. That is why I thought Brady would go to the 49ers but it wasn't the right time, I guess. 

22 hours ago, gspdx said:

Sounds about right.  Jimmy will be available.

I realized my comment might have been misunderstood.

What I meant was that Jimmy Garrapolo is NOT a part of the Niners plans moving forward - so there was our "answer to that question" - NOT "our" answer at quarterback in Indianapolis.

My bad.+

Archived