Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Playoffs

Myles

It is coming soon, so I thought I would start a thread.

In the AFC, only 1 spot is still open.  Miami is currently there but have to play the Pats and Jets who are right behind Miami for that final spot.  

In the NFC, there are 2 open spots left. The Giants and Skins are currently in those spots with the Seahawks, Packers and Lions right on their tails.  

Tampa plays Carolina next weekend.  If the Panthers win, they will be tied for the division lead.  

To me, 2 key things that can shake up each of the AFC and NFC.

1. AFC - Bills vs Bengals in MNF. The team that didn’t have to play 2 of the 3 in Chiefs, Bengals and Bills last year was the Bengals that made it to the SB. It takes a lot out of you to play and beat 2 of those 3 back to back. If the Bengals beat the Bills, Chiefs are likely No.1, but if the Bills beat Bengals, they are No.1 and enjoy the advantage I described above. Those Top 3, 1 of them will represent the AFC in the SB.

2. NFC - Eagles, Cowboys, Giants probably clinch their playoff standings with a win in this week’s games and will earn some rest because they can’t go any higher after that. Commanders and Vikings hold the key to the Packers last chance at the playoffs. It’s in the Vikings interest to beat the Packers because they don’t want to be on the road vs 49ers and Eagles back to back. Plus having both the Cowboys and Packers as wild cards is not an easy road to navigate for all the top 3 NFC teams. They’d rather have the Commanders as No.7.

In Carson they have to trust for the Commanders to beat the Browns, will Carson repeat his debacle of last year’s last 2 games? The last week games will help the Commanders because all the other NFC East teams will be resting if they win this week. Browns vs Commanders and Packers vs Vikings are all that matter for NFC playoffs. NFC South - If Bucs beat the Panthers, Brady might have 1 playoff win still in him but if the Panthers win the division, Cowboys are rolling, IMO in the wild card round.

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

I think its a sick joke that such a terrible team from the Nfc South is going to host a 10+ win team

If they are that bad, the wild card team has to show it can win. It has happened before, won't be the first time and won't be the last. Both AFC South and NFC South are bad. I would venture to say AFC South is worse with the Texans and Colts being league bottoms. Plus, the fact that at least 3 NFC East teams that have played the AFC South are guaranteed playoff spots with possibly the entire division in the NFC playoffs suggests the AFC South takes the cake.

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If they are that bad, the wild card team has to show it can win. It has happened before, won't be the first time and won't be the last. Both AFC South and NFC South are bad. I would venture to say AFC South is worse with the Texans and Colts being league bottoms. Plus, the fact that at least 3 NFC East teams that have played the AFC South are guaranteed playoff spots with possibly the entire division in the NFC playoffs suggests the AFC South takes the cake.

In a one in done game where anything can happen I dont think this should happen. If it were up to me, winning the division wouldn't even guarantee a playoff spot. The teams with the best records would all get in.

I understand thats not going to happen though. I think they should at least take away the home game for division winners and award it to the better team.

Its just dumb whats the Cowboys reward for getting 10+ wins, nothing just because they play in a really good division. Meanwhile the winner of the NFC South is getting rewarded for playing in a terrible division.

Also Jags are better than all the NFC South and AFC South teams. They are scary. They have a really good coach and Lawrence has been top 5 in all QB categories since mid season. They will run away with the division next year for sure. 

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

In a one in done game where anything can happen I dont think this should happen. If it were up to me, winning the division wouldn't even guarantee a playoff spot. The teams with the best records would all get in.

I understand thats not going to happen though. I think they should at least take away the home game for division winners and award it to the better team.

Its just dumb whats the Cowboys reward for getting 10+ wins, nothing just because they play in a really good division. Meanwhile the winner of the NFC South is getting rewarded for playing in a terrible division.

Also Jags are better than all the NFC South and AFC South teams. They are scary. They have a really good coach and Lawrence has been top 5 in all QB categories since mid season. They will run away with the division next year for sure. 

I doubt it. The Cowboys, Eagles, Giants all getting 8+ wins with help from the AFC South can't be ignored for their record. The NFC South having to play the physical AFC North with teams like the Ravens, Bengals, Steelers etc. can't be ignored either for affecting their record, not to mention the NFC West with the 49ers. Colts played at the 8-8 Chargers in 2008. Saints played at the 7-9 Seahawks in 2010. Both of them lost. Division strengths come and go, and as long as you have divisions, there will be rivalries and this type of stuff.

The Bucs are in good shape (ironically) for stumbling through the season they are probably going to end up playing the cowboys at home. And EVERYONE can see the cowboys just laying a freaking egg in Tampa in the playoffs.

I think the Bengals are going to help send KC to the 1 seed and the Bills will eventually face the Bengals again but at home in January. 

I can't eait for playoff football. Only one game on to have all the attention on. plus my team is out so I have to pressure. I just have one team I will root against... lol and thats tampa. I'm fine with anyone else

18 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

I think its a sick joke that such a terrible team from the Nfc South is going to host a 10+ win team

Every team knows the rules.   I am just fine with it the way it is.  

Sometimes a division looks bad because the other divisions they have to play are good.  Sometimes teams look good for the same reason.  Should the NFC East be punished because they got to play the AFC South?   Nope.   

57 minutes ago, Myles said:

Cowboys vs Titans tonight.   C'mon Titans.

I think the Cowboys will win this one easily.  I cannot pull for the Cowboys, but I hope Hilton does well.  

Titans are resting a lot of key players that are hurt to save them for the season finale vs Jaguars, and possibly moving forward. Cowboys will win and they will get the rest before the playoffs while Titans will also get a mini bye week before their season finale.

No Tannehill (who may be available for playoffs because he had a minimally invasive surgery, I heard, he could even be back for the season finale supposedly) - https://www.nfl.com/news/titans-qb-ryan-tannehill-underwent-surgery-on-ankle-determined-to-return-vs-jagu

No Derrick Henry

No Denico Autry (biceps)

No Kristian Fulton (groin)

No Jeffery Simmons (ankle)

No offensive tackle Nicholas Petit-Frere (ankle)

No safety Amani Hooker (knee)

No outside linebacker Bud Dupree (pectoral)

No linebackers Zach Cunningham (elbow) and Dylan Cole (ankle) 

This is what the Titans will be dealing with there tonight. Hands down, Cowboys win. :) 

Timing is everything in the NFL. It is not who you play, it is when you play them. The NFL screwed us over by making us play 5 out of our 7 divisional games early on and here we are.

31 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Timing is everything in the NFL. It is not who you play, it is when you play them. The NFL screwed us over by making us play 5 out of our 7 divisional games early on and here we are.

We could have wrapped up the division early.   Tying Houston and losing to the Jags was the nail in the coffin for the Colts.

1 hour ago, sb41champs said:

AFC - I think the Dolphins will end up with the playoff berth.  They have more "difference makers" than the Patriots and the Jets.

Period.

NFC - I predict that the red hot Lions grab one of the two NFC spots.

Tua may be out for the rest of regular season.  There is a real chance for the Jets or Patriots to sneak in. IMO it will make no difference, they are all one and done anyway. 

Early week 18 playoff games potential. Only 2. 

-Titans at Jags is already set up for win and in no matter the outcome of this week.

- If Lions and Packers win this week, and the Commanders and Seahawks lose. That would set up Lions at Packers week 18 win and in.

Archived