Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Please don't do this again

lennymoore24

Sounds like OP would actually lean toward Tanner McKee? Minus the mobile part maybe? 

Richardson seems too big a risk, but aren’t most? Is Grayson McCall any bigger risk? Lesser competition, sure, but he has like 7 INTs in three years. Or Sam Hartman from Wake. Both put up good numbers with minimal talent around them. Hartman had some bad games, but 6 tds vs Clemson, dang!

Grab Sornoski with first pick, then see which QB is there w second pick. Or try and get Derek Carr. 

The next Peyton Manning is likely Maye from NC in next years draft. Dude looks phenomenal for a freshman!! 

On 12/11/2022 at 2:18 PM, OLD FAN MAN said:

i was on board until you started praising ballard who is responsible  for the lack of talent on offense. a great talented team will win whoever is the coach. elite talent makes coaches look great. below average talent makes them fired. winning is all about the elite talent on a team and this mess of poor talent falls on ballard. hoodie or payton or any other head coach would look bad with ballards offensive players

If talent is there and starts declining rapidly in that the GM, player or coaches?  Coaches and leaders should help players excel just like great QBs make average WR look much better.

On 12/12/2022 at 6:13 AM, Myles said:

I think the Colts end up with the 6th or 7th pick in the draft, so taking a QB there is possible.  Or they could wait and take Hooker in the second round.  

I believe you trade up into the bottom of 1 to pull that move off as you want the 5th year option with him possibly setting out a year.  

On 12/10/2022 at 11:49 PM, lennymoore24 said:

I am all about free speech, but every year I have to be tortured with just bad predictions from Colts fans. Predictions of bad players like Jordan Love going to the Colts.  Or recycling bad coaches.  So can I just ask to consider a few things.

1) When talking about who is going to coach the Colts next year, think about what coach gets the MOST out of the LEAST amount of talent.  Every year NFL teams grab coordinators from teams who were successful.  Well, most of the time it doesn't turn out well. But usually these teams have a good head coach, but more importantly, they have very good talent on the team.  A perfect example of how both Bronco offensive coordinators when Peyton was there got head coaching jobs.  Now, did Peyton dod well in Denver because of them?  No.  They looked better because of him.  And that happens EVERY YEAR!  So when I see guys like Byron Leftwich or Leslie Frazier rumored to go to Colts, it makes makes me cringe.  Leftwich looks good beause of Tom Brady and very good receivers.  Frazier is an already failed NFL HC who runs the defense for the Bills where the offense is high powered, usually playing with the lead, with very good talent on the defensive side of the ball.  So try think outside the box.  If your only candidates are guys running on Chiefs, Bills, Bengals, Bucs coattails, then I predict it will be a failure.  Again, who does more with less talent?  I don't like Belichick, but he almost always puts up a good team no matter how bad the talent is.

2) Af far as QBs, you gotta quit looking at college QBs who play against inferior teams, run as much as they throw, and guys are wide open.  Since 2000, only 20% of QBs drafted in the first round become better than average.  Most flat out fail.  And how many times over the years do we hear about a guys great physical abilities but they are raw and need to be "coached up".  Unfortunately, that almost never works in the NFL.  Time to time, a guy like Josh Allen does. But most of the time, it is more like Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen.  We need a QB who is, first, a passer.  Someone with a quick delivery, accurate, smart, who can read defenses, and is coachable.  If he is mobile, that is a bonus, but a QB should NEVER be rated on how well he runs as a primary.  And you have to consider the talent around the player.  Look at a ugy like Jalen Hurts. I am happy that he is doing well. But he has a VERY GOOD team around him in all aspects.  Most NFL QBs will do well with a good oline, running attack, good receivers, and a good defense. Put Jalen Hurts on the Texans and he would probably look like Davis Mills.  So keep that in mind when evaluating QBs.

That said, I am almost always nervous about taking a QB unless it is a lock like Peyton or Luck. I think Bryce Young is too small like Kyler Murray, I think CJ Stroud is another Ohio State QB who benefits from amazing talent around him and the others are just too raw or limited. The ONLY QB I see in the draft that is worth rolling the dice on is Will Levis from Kentucky. Why?  First of all, he is a VERY smart guy.  I have talked to a few people around him and learned he is very coachable.  He has a rocket arm that seems to be very accurate. He is tough as nails and a good leader.  As a bonus, he is mobile.  Now, he is no sure thing and could easily be another Blake Bortles.  But in watching his game, he plays well with a weaker surrounding cast.  He was hurt most of this year and lost many good players. I think he has a CHANGE to be good.  

As far as head coach, I am torn.  A guy like Harbaugh MIGHT work, but he would want an entire new staff and much power, which I don't see happening. The Colts would have to completely change their defense since Harbaugh likes more of a hybrid 3-4.  I expect that Colts will either promote Ventrone or keep Saturday and bring in a good offensive coordinator. I think a guy who will be a very, very good coach is Kellen Moore.  But only if they could keep Ventrone and Bradley in place.

Finally, I think it is a HUGE mistake to fire Chris Ballard. For people saying we need to clean house, you are completely off the mark. The Colts aren't losing games because lack of talent. You don't crush the Bills last year and beat the Chiefs this year without talent.  Ballard is VERY good at drafting players.  The problem is turnovers.  Need better coaching. I think Reich is a great guy but a little too soft on players.  Belichick sits a guy down the first time they make a mental mistake.  More discipline. In is inexcusable to have 3 very good offensive linemen and perform that badly each week and never seem to fix it.  That is where I think, at the minimum, we need an entirely new offensive staff.  But just remember this. MOST NFL teams don't have a very good GM. There are far more Ryan Grigsons than Chris Ballards.  Robinson was just let go in Tennessee, but if you look at his drafting record, it is not very good. You can't miss on 1st round picks like that.

All I ask is just please examine the whole game, the supporting cast, and evaluate. Don't say what the next guy next to you says.  And remember running QBs look great during the regular season, but I would argue a running QB has never won a Super Bowl. Mahomes is mobile, like Steve Young. But he isn't a runner.  I doubt Lamar Jackson, Jalen Hurts, or Kyler Murray will EVER win a Super Bowl.  They guy who can throw from the pocket accurately is always the best bet.  But please don't torture me with those horrid predictions of bad QBs and bad coaches and GMs.

So Leftwich, Frazier, Hurts, Jackson, Murray, Young, Stroud are all bad as HC’s & QB’s but Kellen Moore & Will Levis are the answers?  Just say who you like and stop making caveats and excuses to make the others look bad and the guys you like seem better.  Your bias is showing.  Every QB you disparaged has accomplished more than Darnold, Rosen, Bortles or Levis (whose name fits in well with the aforementioned busts) whether in college or the pros.  You talk about guys being hyped up for their great physical abilities but they’re raw and need coached up.  You say those kinda of guys like Darnold & Rosen mostly don’t work out and then turn around and advocate for Levis who is looking like the next Rosen or Darnold.

Levis is raw, hyped up for his physical attributes, and only needs to be coached up.  It’s not his fault he sucked this year because he didn’t have Wan’Dale Robinson’s coattails to ride right?  One would think a good to great QB was supposed to elevate the players around him.  Funny how some will make excuses for certain QB’s and nitpick others.  We saw it with Fields & Wilson last year and now we’re seeing hit with Stroud & Levis this year.

Regardless, you can try to make excuses for Levis all you want.  I’m taking every QB you say you don’t want over your the next potential Blake Bortles.  Also, remove the bias from your heart and mind.  Hurts is the current front runner for MVP.  Davis Mills couldn’t carry his jock strap in Houston or Philly.  And if Hurts was on the Texans, the Colts would be the worst team in the division because the Texans would have more wins than us because of Jalen Hurts alone.  

1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

So Leftwich, Frazier, Hurts, Jackson, Murray, Young, Stroud are all bad as HC’s & QB’s but Kellen Moore & Will Levis are the answers?  Just say who you like and stop making caveats and excuses to make the others look bad and the guys you like seem better.  Your bias is showing.  Every QB you disparaged has accomplished more than Darnold, Rosen, Bortles or Levis (whose name fits in well with the aforementioned busts) whether in college or the pros.  You talk about guys being hyped up for their great physical abilities but they’re raw and need coached up.  You say those kinda of guys like Darnold & Rosen mostly don’t work out and then turn around and advocate for Levis who is looking like the next Rosen or Darnold.

Levis is raw, hyped up for his physical attributes, and only needs to be coached up.  It’s not his fault he sucked this year because he didn’t have Wan’Dale Robinson’s coattails to ride right?  One would think a good to great QB was supposed to elevate the players around him.  Funny how some will make excuses for certain QB’s and nitpick others.  We saw it with Fields & Wilson last year and now we’re seeing hit with Stroud & Levis this year.

Regardless, you can try to make excuses for Levis all you want.  I’m taking every QB you say you don’t want over your the next potential Blake Bortles.  Also, remove the bias from your heart and mind.  Hurts is the current front runner for MVP.  Davis Mills couldn’t carry his jock strap in Houston or Philly.  And if Hurts was on the Texans, the Colts would be the worst team in the division because the Texans would have more wins than us because of Jalen Hurts alone.  

I think Bryce Young is the best QB coming out, I am not sold on Will Levis at all. I could be wrong but we will see. I would take Max Duggan over Will Levis. To me the 2 best QB's are Young and Stroud. 

7 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I see a lot of Tim Couch in Will Levis which isn't good who was another Kentucky QB. Tim Couch was even better in college. 

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Bryce Young is the best QB coming out, I am not sold on Will Levis at all. I could be wrong but we will see. I would take Max Duggan over Will Levis. To me the 2 best QB's are Young and Stroud. 

I’ve been keeping an eye on Duggan recently too.  And I’m probably being too hard on Levis but I just hate when the hype machine starts elevating certain guys who haven’t really earned it.  Feels like there’s some kind of agenda behind it.  Levis could be good but he hasn’t shown enough to even be in the discussion as the top QB taken.  That is unless the Texans want him.  In that case he’s the next Brett Favre and they need to draft him.

My sleeper for this year was Grayson McCall but I see he’s entering the transfer portal.  He could really make a name for himself for next year’s draft if he transfers to a Georgia or Ohio State and can put up the same amazing efficiency vs top tier competition. Next year will have Caleb Williams (might be a better prospect than Young & Stroud) & potentially Maye as premier candidates. 

I’ve been keeping an eye on Duggan recently too.  And I’m probably being too hard on Levis but I just hate when the hype machine starts elevating certain guys who haven’t really earned it.  Feels like there’s some kind of agenda behind it.  Levis could be good but he hasn’t shown enough to even be in the discussion as the top QB taken.  That is unless the Texans want him.  In that case he’s the next Brett Favre and they need to draft him.

My sleeper for this year was Grayson McCall but I see he’s entering the transfer portal.  He could really make a name for himself for next year’s draft if he transfers to a Georgia or Ohio State and can put up the same amazing efficiency vs top tier competition. Next year will have Caleb Williams (might be a better prospect than Young & Stroud) & potentially Maye as premier candidates. 

Williams is going to be a great pro IMO. He will no doubt go #1 next year.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I see a lot of Tim Couch in Will Levis which isn't good who was another Kentucky QB. Tim Couch was even better in college. 

And that’s what’s scary.  Couch could spin it.  Everybody thought he was gonna be the next Peyton coming out of the SEC.  What separates a guy like Levis from guys like Duggan or Rattler?

Just now, Smoke317 said:

And that’s what’s scary.  Couch could spin it.  Everybody thought he was gonna be the next Peyton coming out of the SEC.  What separates a guy like Levis from guys like Duggan or Rattler?

Duggan seems like a leader to me, Rattler is a mystery, he looks great for a few games, then stinks it up for a few. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Williams is going to be a great pro IMO. He will no doubt go #1 next year.

Yeah. I feel like him and Young really fit into that Mahomes mold of being able to go off script and escape the pocket to either run or make dynamic throws downfield.  Stroud has the ability too but he seems less willing to run than the others.  I don’t know if that’s a good or bad thing.  I think once he figures out for certain how to incorporate that into his game he could really become unstoppable because his ability to throw accurately while on the run is amazing.  I’d love to follow the Bengals blueprint and get Stroud this year and then re-unite him with Harrison Jr next draft like they did Burrow and Chase.

3 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Yeah. I feel like him and Young really fit into that Mahomes mold of being able to go off script and escape the pocket to either run or make dynamic throws downfield.  Stroud has the ability too but he seems less willing to run than the others.  I don’t know if that’s a good or bad thing.  I think once he figures out for certain how to incorporate that into his game he could really become unstoppable because his ability to throw accurately while on the run is amazing.  I’d love to follow the Bengals blueprint and get Stroud this year and then re-unite him with Harrison Jr next draft like they did Burrow and Chase.

Stroud with 1 or 2 great WR's could be lethal. I agree. Stroud isn't as fast as Young but has more size, he could be similar to Burrow.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Stroud with 1 or 2 great WR's could be lethal. I agree. Stroud isn't as fast as Young but has more size, he could be similar to Burrow.

Do you think we will be featuring Pierce more down the stretch  to accelerate his development?  Last week, Pittman seemed kinda forgotten about.  Could Pittman be included in a trade package if we had to trade up with the Bears?

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Campbell even has looked good at times.

Campbell has looked very good for how often we ourselves phase him out of the offense.  If he got 8 targets a game, he’d catch at least 6 of them.  So he’d probably be at like 80-100 receptions and over 1000 yards.  But he’ll get 8 targets one week and then 2 the next.

5 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Williams is the closest thing to Mahomes that I have seen. I don't really follow college football until draft season (and then it's only draft eligible players). So I didn't even know who Caleb Williams was (since he's not eligible until 2024).

But I was bored late on a Saturday night, so I flipped on some PAC 12 game between USC and UCLA. And it took about 1-2 drive to see how incredible that dude is. I immediately searched for a 2024 NFL mock just to check...and sure enough...Williams was #1.

That USC/UCLA game ended 48-45 and is probably the most fun I have had watching football since the NFL playoffs last year.

Do you think we will be featuring Pierce more down the stretch  to accelerate his development?  Last week, Pittman seemed kinda forgotten about.  Could Pittman be included in a trade package if we had to trade up with the Bears?

That is a great question. It seemed like early on in the season, Matt Ryan loved Pittman, but he also has at times where he throws to Pierce and his TE's a lot. I thought there for a moment, Ryan to Campbell would be really good. It was against the Raiders. I like Pierce, Matt had confidence in him vs the Jags on that game winning pass.

4 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Williams is the closest thing to Mahomes that I have seen. I don't really follow college football until draft season (and then it's only draft eligible players). So I didn't even know who Caleb Williams was (since he's not eligible until 2024).

But I was bored late on a Saturday night, so I flipped on some PAC 12 game between USC and UCLA. And it took about 1-2 drive to see how incredible that dude is. I immediately searched for a 2024 NFL mock just to check...and sure enough...Williams was #1.

That USC/UCLA game ended 48-45 and is probably the most fun I have had watching football since the NFL playoffs last year.

Williams is the real deal, I would be shocked if he was a bust.

Just now, shasta519 said:

I was watching it too. Definitely the most electric college football game I saw this year.  Williams can do it all.  He’s like a mix between Mahomes and a Hurts.  Because he’s dynamic enough to escape a chaotic pocket and get out of would be sacks and run but can and will still make crazy downfield throws while escaping the pocket.  And he’s a true sophomore and was doing similar things last year as a true freshman. Kid is a phenom.  Most 18 year olds can’t step into a program like Oklahoma and just ball out from day 1.

5 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I was watching it too. Definitely the most electric college football game I saw this year.  Williams can do it all.  He’s like a mix between Mahomes and a Hurts.  Because he’s dynamic enough to escape a chaotic pocket and get out of would be sacks and run but can and will still make crazy downfield throws while escaping the pocket.  And he’s a true sophomore and was doing similar things last year as a true freshman. Kid is a phenom.  Most 18 year olds can’t step into a program like Oklahoma and just ball out from day 1.

Lincoln Riley's success with QBs is undeniable at this point. Wonder when he will make the jump to the NFL. 

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Williams is the real deal, I would be shocked if he was a bust.

It would have to be injuries. He's just too talented overall. 

I have been a big fan of Hurts since college. I always felt that his style of play gave him a very safe floor in the NFL to be productive, even though he doesn't have the best arm. 

Now take Hurts' athleticism and give him Mahomes' arm. Not to mention pocket presence and poise.

I think he's the best QB prospect since Luck.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We should hire him happy homer simpson GIF

At some point, he is going to make the jump. Probably wants to win a national championship first though...since he hasn't fared well in the CFP or bowl games.

That's probably years down the line. He's only 39, so he could coach another decade in the NCAAF and still make the jump before age 50.

12 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Lincoln Riley's success with QBs is undeniable at this point. Wonder when he will make the jump to the NFL. 

I think it’s all about the timing.  He just got to USC.  It’s LA.  Hollywood.  He’s probably not in a hurry to leave.  And like you said, that’s 3 Heisman QB’s.  Odds are he will help coach up another one day.  Playing Devil’s Advocate:  I’d say that the Arizona Cardinals with Kyler Murray would be the first to call.  But Kyler just tore his acl.  Would Riley want to risk making the jump when he seems to be able to create a new Heisman winner every few years?  I see him only making the jump when it becomes clear to him that USC is never gonna win the national championship.

Another college guy who hasn’t had the Heisman success as Riley but who could be looking to make the jump is Ryan Day from Ohio State.  It seems like the Wolverines have turned the tide and now have the Buckeyes number.  I believe Day has NFL experience as an assistant. It might be time to turn the Buckeyes back over to Urban and try the big leagues. Now I know he won’t get nearly the love that Lincoln will get but how would y’all feel about pairing Stroud and Day on the NFL level?  Would it be a recipe for failure?

6 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I think it’s all about the timing.  He just got to USC.  It’s LA.  Hollywood.  He’s probably not in a hurry to leave.  And like you said, that’s 3 Heisman QB’s.  Odds are he will help coach up another one day.  Playing Devil’s Advocate:  I’d say that the Arizona Cardinals with Kyler Murray would be the first to call.  But Kyler just tore his acl.  Would Riley want to risk making the jump when he seems to be able to create a new Heisman winner every few years?  I see him only making the jump when it becomes clear to him that USC is never gonna win the national championship.

Another college guy who hasn’t had the Heisman success as Riley but who could be looking to make the jump is Ryan Day from Ohio State.  It seems like the Wolverines have turned the tide and now have the Buckeyes number.  I believe Day has NFL experience as an assistant. It might be time to turn the Buckeyes back over to Urban and try the big leagues. Now I know he won’t get nearly the love that Lincoln will get but how would y’all feel about pairing Stroud and Day on the NFL level?  Would it be a recipe for failure?

Yeah, I would put money that Day goes to the NFL before Riley.

There will no shortage of talented HS QBs wanting to play for him. He's already got Malachi Nelson as a hard commit (#3 in 2023), but not signed. Probably the early favorite to take over for Williams in 2024 and the next potential Heisman (though he will have to beat Arch). But who knows what the 2024 class will look like.

But I think there is a decent chance Caleb Williams is going be his magnum opus. So I think that's probably the only way he jumps anytime soon. Coach him in college and then coach him in the NFL into one of the greatest ever. Would be pretty cool. The issue is whichever team wins the Williams sweepstakes is likely to be a really bad team. Wonder if he pulls a Manning/Elway and forces a trade.

Ultimately, I could see him doing something similar to Carrol. Coach USC for several years and then make the jump.

4 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Yeah, I would put money that Day goes to the NFL before Riley.

There will no shortage of talented HS QBs wanting to play for him. He's already got Malachi Nelson as a hard commit (#3 in 2023), but not signed. Probably the early favorite to take over for Williams in 2024 and the next potential Heisman (though he will have to beat Arch). But who knows what the 2024 class will look like.

But I think there is a decent chance Caleb Williams is going be his magnum opus. So I think that's probably the only way he jumps anytime soon. Coach him in college and then coach him in the NFL into one of the greatest ever. Would be pretty cool. The issue is whichever team wins the Williams sweepstakes is likely to be a really bad team. Wonder if he pulls a Manning/Elway and forces a trade.

Ultimately, I could see him doing something similar to Carrol. Coach USC for several years and then make the jump.

Yeah. USC is a job you stay at for a while.  Plus they’d probably like to have him onboard when they join the Big 10 in a couple of years. And with the playoff field expanding, a loss or 2 may not definitely slam the door shut on the Pac 12 schools like it has in the past.  

I'm not as down on Levis as most are. Watched every game of his career at Kentucky. So maybe a little biased but he plays for a Kentucky a perennial bottom feeder of the SEC. 

The level of talent he has at his disposal is a very far cry from what Young, Stroud, Hooker and even Richardson have. Kentucky doesn't recruit well and lost Wan'dale Robinson to last years draft. No one really jumps off the depth chart for UK at the WR or TE position. Kentucky wideouts very rarely get any type of separation and hold Levis back from making the flashy passes he can make.

What he has done is elevate the players he does play with and shown the ability to make the difficult passes needed on the next level and makes very quick reads. Having Pittman and Pierce on the outside and a monster target in Woods would instantly elevate his game imo. Not to mention JT in the backfield. Just my opinion. 

5 hours ago, FuedinHatfield said:

I'm not as down on Levis as most are. Watched every game of his career at Kentucky. So maybe a little biased but he plays for a Kentucky a perennial bottom feeder of the SEC. 

The level of talent he has at his disposal is a very far cry from what Young, Stroud, Hooker and even Richardson have. Kentucky doesn't recruit well and lost Wan'dale Robinson to last years draft. No one really jumps off the depth chart for UK at the WR or TE position. Kentucky wideouts very rarely get any type of separation and hold Levis back from making the flashy passes he can make.

What he has done is elevate the players he does play with and shown the ability to make the difficult passes needed on the next level and makes very quick reads. Having Pittman and Pierce on the outside and a monster target in Woods would instantly elevate his game imo. Not to mention JT in the backfield. Just my opinion. 

I can’t see how he elevates guys.  Looks like Robinson elevated him (kinda how the soft schedule elevated Zach Wilson), take him away and you have a guy who’s production isn’t worthy of a being a high 1st round pick.  But I feel you on hopefully Pittman, Pierce, and Woods elevating Levis but I’d much rather have Young or Stroud who have shown the ability to consistently play at a high level and who we don’t have to make excuses for to cover their flaws.

On 12/15/2022 at 2:55 PM, Smoke317 said:

I can’t see how he elevates guys.  Looks like Robinson elevated him (kinda how the soft schedule elevated Zach Wilson), take him away and you have a guy who’s production isn’t worthy of a being a high 1st round pick.  But I feel you on hopefully Pittman, Pierce, and Woods elevating Levis but I’d much rather have Young or Stroud who have shown the ability to consistently play at a high level and who we don’t have to make excuses for to cover their flaws.

I would as well just can't realistically see us being in position to get them. Maybe a trade with Philly but that could cost a bit.

20 minutes ago, FuedinHatfield said:

I would as well just can't realistically see us being in position to get them. Maybe a trade with Philly but that could cost a bit.

I think we could trade with the Bears or Seahawks. Seattle worries me because though Gino is playing well, they still might want to draft a young QB and let him sit behind Geno for a year.  If the other 2 are gone, I’d be ok with taking a flyer on Levis.  Or we could draft the best player available and get Hooker in the 2nd.  Hooker, like Levis, is older but far outplayed Will this year. 

2 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I think we could trade with the Bears or Seahawks. Seattle worries me because though Gino is playing well, they still might want to draft a young QB and let him sit behind Geno for a year.  If the other 2 are gone, I’d be ok with taking a flyer on Levis.  Or we could draft the best player available and get Hooker in the 2nd.  Hooker, like Levis, is older but far outplayed Will this year. 

I wouldn't mind Hooker in the second. Take a LT with the 1st.

Archived