Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brian Dawkins Retires

WeSpy

is he a HOFer?

I was going to ask the same thing.

Hm...I want to say yes, but unless you're a Reed type of player, it's hard for safeties to make it in the HOF. In his prime, Dawk could cover well and hit hard; teams definitely had to gameplan for him and he allowed Jim Johnson to do more with his defense.

I was going to ask the same thing.

Hm...I want to say yes, but unless you're a Reed type of player, it's hard for safeties to make it in the HOF. In his prime, Dawk could cover well and hit hard; teams definitely had to gameplan for him and he allowed Jim Johnson to do more with his defense.

when it comes down to it i think a safety has to be more then just a hard hitter or cover well. he has to be a game changer. you have ask yourself would that defense be the same if he was out of the game.

when it comes down to it i think a safety has to be more then just a hard hitter or cover well. he has to be a game changer. you have ask yourself would that defense be the same if he was out of the game.

It wouldn't be, but I don't think that's the determining piece. Our offense wasn't the same when Addai was hurt because Addai fit our system so well, but Addai is nowhere near a HOF player. What I've heard is you have to imagine you're writing a book about the history of the NFL. Could you write the book and never once mention the player or would this player be mentioned several times in your book? I want to say he is a HOFer, but it's hard to make it in as a safety, as I believe there are less than 10 pure safeties in the HOF.

At 3:43, he makes an open field tackle on Barry Sanders...that's impressive

It wouldn't be, but I don't think that's the determining piece. Our offense wasn't the same when Addai was hurt because Addai fit our system so well, but Addai is nowhere near a HOF player. What I've heard is you have to imagine you're writing a book about the history of the NFL. Could you write the book and never once mention the player or would this player be mentioned several times in your book? I want to say he is a HOFer, but it's hard to make it in as a safety, as I believe there are less than 10 pure safeties in the HOF.

At 3:43, he makes an open field tackle on Barry Sanders...that's impressive

i love the suplex haha

Anyone remember the old game against the Eagles, and we Sean as our WR. I think it was '96. The commentator was like, "Dawkins tackling Dawkins. Dawkins slips Dawkins. Dawkins closing in on Dawkins. Dawkins tackled Dawkins." haha That was a funny commentation.

If there was one Eagle from their streak of NFC Championship appearances who deserves the Hall of Fame it's Dawkins. Phenomenal player and one of the best all-around safeties from 1996 all the way through 2009. He was a more complete player than either Reed or Polamalu are/were (although Reed's coverage instincts are so out of this world that he still probably deserves number one billing).

is he a HOFer?

Well, he IS the only player in NFL history with 35+ ints and 25+ sacks and was voted to 9 Pro Bowls. That has to count for something. But he wasn't flashy, and safety isn't the most glamorous position. Hopefully he gets in eventually.

Well, he IS the only player in NFL history with 35+ ints and 25+ sacks and was voted to 9 Pro Bowls. That has to count for something. But he wasn't flashy, and safety isn't the most glamorous position. Hopefully he gets in eventually.

DB is hard enough. But he won't be in before Reed/Troy/Woodson.

Factor in those three taking up the very hard DB position. Then Dawkins gets to duke it out with Champ and Rhonde. It will be close. He may get in but it will take some time.