Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chargers Release Former First-Round Pick

Lancer1

https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/chargers-release-former-first-round-pick

I wouldn't mind if we kicked the tires on this guy, he's a DE who is an inch shorter than DeForest Buckner and weighs about the same - if he's not too expensive, he could be used to spell Buckner on occasion, or play on the opposite side of the line with him as kind of a "twin towers" rush.

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Can he play LT or RG? 

It's doubtful, but not unheard of - in 2003, the Chargers took a struggling, about to be cut DT named Kris Dielman and converted him to left guard, and he went to a couple of Pro Bowls in that role.

I think Tillery is too tall & light to be an offensive guard, but if he packed on some weight he could possibly play tackle, I just don't know how effectively. I still think he could (at the right price) be an effective substitute for Buckner on occasion, if only for a series or 2 to keep DeForest fresher in the latter parts of games.

Funny that both Jerry Tillery and Jonathan Abrams of Raiders, both first round picks that we wanted for the Colts were passed by Ballard, so was Montez Sweat in a trade with the Redskins. Just goes to show you what an inexact science the draft is. Rock Ya Sin and Ben Banogu is what we have to show for in the 2019 draft, when it was all said and done.

Regarding Jerry Tillery, the same questions were floated about him that were floated about Andrew Luck, in the sense that he has plenty of other interests that if he would be 100% into football for a long period of time. His efforts were hit and miss, which is why he was waived. He is good for limited downs at best based on everything I read, not as a starter, otherwise the Chargers would not have released him.

20 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Funny that both Jerry Tillery and Jonathan Abrams of Raiders, both first round picks that we wanted for the Colts were passed by Ballard, so was Montez Sweat in a trade with the Redskins. Just goes to show you what an inexact science the draft is. Rock Ya Sin and Ben Banogu is what we have to show for in the 2019 draft, when it was all said and done.

Regarding Jerry Tillery, the same questions were floated about him that were floated about Andrew Luck, in the sense that he has plenty of other interests that if he would be 100% into football for a long period of time. His efforts were hit and miss, which is why he was waived. He is good for limited downs at best based on everything I read, not as a starter, otherwise the Chargers would not have released him.

I agree, releasing a 1st round pick before their rookie contract is completed is kind of an admission that you screwed up in drafting them in the first place.

9 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/chargers-release-former-first-round-pick

I wouldn't mind if we kicked the tires on this guy, he's a DE who is an inch shorter than DeForest Buckner and weighs about the same - if he's not too expensive, he could be used to spell Buckner on occasion, or play on the opposite side of the line with him as kind of a "twin towers" rush.

I am with you on this.   I would kick the tires on most any former first round picks who are available.  Practice squad?

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

I am with you on this.   I would kick the tires on most any former first round picks who are available.  Practice squad?

That, or roster depth - we seem to struggle in pressuring opposing QBs consistently, while our own is constantly under siege.

19 hours ago, richard pallo said:

He also did not practice this week for personal reasons.  Something going on here?  Regardless I would put in a claim but chances are a team ahead of us will get him.

23 hours ago, chad72 said:

Sounds like he pulled a Quinn Pitcock.

19 hours ago, sb41champs said:

The fact that no team has put in a waiver claim - yet - for this player - at this point in the season - says a LOT about the ?? about WHY he was let go.

Best wishes in the next chapter of his life.

He had 51 tackles and 4.5 sacks last year I believe.

Even as a 1-2 year rental, can't imagine him being worse than Byron Cowart or Chris Williams. Not to mention he can double as a 4-3 DT, 3-4 DE, and 4-3 DE.

On 11/12/2022 at 4:46 PM, sb41champs said:

The fact that no team has put in a waiver claim - yet - for this player - at this point in the season - says a LOT about the ?? about WHY he was let go.

Best wishes in the next chapter of his life.

The Raiders claimed Tillery today - Ian Rapoport states that the Raiders considered trading for him at the deadline but now get him for nothing.

1 hour ago, Lancer1 said:

The Raiders claimed Tillery today - Ian Rapoport states that the Raiders considered trading for him at the deadline but now get him for nothing.

Do you know why he was let go? Before his draft, he sounded like a good prospect, IIRC. 

Archived