Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll: 2022 Passing yards distribution (between RB, TE, and WR)

EastStreet

Poll: 2022 Passing yards distribution (between RB, TE, and WR)  

31 members have voted

1. 1. If Ryan averages 250 passing yards per game, how many total passing yards go to RB on average (out of the 250)? PS.... count Hines as a RB even if he lines up on the LOS

• 20 ypg
    • 30 ypg
    • 40 ypg
    • 50 ypg
    • 60 ypg
    • 70 ypg
    • 80 ypg
    • 90 ypg
    • 100 ypg
    • 110 ypg
    • 120 ypg
    • 130 ypg
    • 140 ypg
    • 150 ypg
  2. 2. Out of 250 total passing yards, how many passing yards go to the TE unit on average?

• 30 ypg
    • 40 ypg
    • 50 ypg
    • 60 ypg
    • 70 ypg
    • 80 ypg
    • 90 ypg
    • 100 ypg
    • 110 ypg
    • 120 ypg
    • 130 ypg
    • 140 ypg
    • 150 ypg
  3. 3. Out of 250 passing yards, how many passing yards go to the WR unit on average?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/30/2022 at 07:10 AM

Seen various articles about how Ryan loves to deal around to different players, how Indy wants to get Hines more involved, how folks love the athleticism at TE, etc. etc...

Ryan has averaged roughly 250 yards per game, so let's start there as an assumption.

So how do you see Ryan distributing things amongst the different groups (RB / TE / WR) given a limitation of 250 ypg ... 

Picked

RB - 70 yards

TE - 60 yards

WR - 120 yards

A lot of this will of course depend on how well Hines does in the slot. I think, most of RB receiving yards come from checkdowns and would expect 30-50 yards on that alone. Then add we want to include Hines more in the passing game and we can probably add 30-ish yards on top of that.

Again, this will depend on how well Mo does and if one (or more) of our young TEs emerges as a playmaker. I'm not convinced Mo alone will be a huge threat in the passing game so 60-ish may even be a bit high.

The rest are for the WR unit to fight over.

Looks like there's some disagreement, but the overall rough unscientific average/median/mean/curve looks to be about

RB 60

TE 60

WR 130

If that's our average distribution, I'd take it.

Means that the ball is getting dealt all over the place. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Looks like there's some disagreement, but the overall rough unscientific average/median/mean/curve looks to be about

RB 60

TE 60

WR 130

If that's our average distribution, I'd take it.

Means that the ball is getting dealt all over the place. 

Put that out over 17 games:

RB - 1020yds(ypg)

Hines - 600yds(35ypg)

Taylor - 420yds(25ypg)

TE - 1020yds

Cox - 400yds(23.5ypg)

Woods - 280yds(16.5ypg)

Granson -170yds(10ypg)

Ogletree - 170yds(10ypg)

WR - 2210yds

Pittman - 900yds(53ypg)

Campbell - 500yds(29ypg)

Pierce - 500yds(29ypg)

Dulin - 200yds(12ypg)

Patmon - 110yds(6.5ypg)

Just made numbers match, clearly other players will get some yards.

Those are all with 17 game projections on ypg, all players wont play in all those games either.

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

Put that out over 17 games:

RB - 1020yds(ypg)

Hines - 600yds(35ypg)

Taylor - 420yds(25ypg)

TE - 1020yds

Cox - 400yds(23.5ypg)

Woods - 280yds(16.5ypg)

Granson -170yds(10ypg)

Ogletree - 170yds(10ypg)

WR - 2210yds

Pittman - 900yds(53ypg)

Campbell - 500yds(29ypg)

Pierce - 500yds(29ypg)

Dulin - 200yds(12ypg)

Patmon - 110yds(6.5ypg)

Just made numbers match, clearly other players will get some yards.

Those are all with 17 game projections on ypg, all players wont play in all those games either.

Brilliant minds. 

I'm going to do polls for all 3 groups tomorrow. Wanted to get at least 25+ votes before I set the unit targets. 

I was actually just looking at stats from last season. WR and TE should be really interesting with new names, but the results from last season on RBs likely will be interesting to some.

Hines had more targets than JT, but both had the same amount of receptions. And JT had 60 more yards and a better AVG. I'm really interested to see how they both are used. I'm supportive of getting Hines more targets, and even using him on the LOS, but I also want to do the same with JT. Regardless, I just hope JT stays in the mix as a dual threat guy, regardless of any change to Hines' use. 

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Brilliant minds. 

I'm going to do polls for all 3 groups tomorrow. Wanted to get at least 25+ votes before I set the unit targets. 

I was actually just looking at stats from last season. WR and TE should be really interesting with new names, but the results from last season on RBs likely will be interesting to some.

Hines had more targets than JT, but both had the same amount of receptions. And JT had 60 more yards and a better AVG. I'm really interested to see how they both are used. I'm supportive of getting Hines more targets, and even using him on the LOS, but I also want to do the same with JT. Regardless, I just hope JT stays in the mix as a dual threat guy, regardless of any change to Hines' use. 

Yeah, I definitely hope JT is still involved heavily in the pass game as well. Just so tough when you have a guy as good as Taylor, to not get him the ball. I imagine Hines and Taylor will be on the field a lot together using misdirection with both.

9 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yeah, I definitely hope JT is still involved heavily in the pass game as well. Just so tough when you have a guy as good as Taylor, to not get him the ball. I imagine Hines and Taylor will be on the field a lot together using misdirection with both.

My hope is that when they are on the field together, there's a good mix of what they each do. I want both to catch, and both to run. I'd like to see downs with Hines lining up as RB, with JT on the LOS, and vice versa. And downs where simply both are in the backfield at the snap. And give me a couple double reverses this season lol. 

Here's the trick play I want to see most...

JT in the backfield, Hines on the LOS.

JT takes a sweep handoff, pitches to Hines coming the other way. JT continues running deep.

Hines pitches back to Ryan. Ryan hits JT deep all alone... 

Or vice versa with the two... 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

My hope is that when they are on the field together, there's a good mix of what they each do. I want both to catch, and both to run. I'd like to see downs with Hines lining up as RB, with JT on the LOS, and vice versa. And downs where simply both are in the backfield at the snap. And give me a couple double reverses this season lol. 

Here's the trick play I want to see most...

JT in the backfield, Hines on the LOS.

JT takes a sweep handoff, pitches to Hines coming the other way. JT continues running deep.

Hines pitches back to Ryan. Ryan hits JT deep all alone... 

Or vice versa with the two... 

Definitely need to mix things up to keep defenses on their toes. Don't want to be predictable when those guys are on or off the field.

Imagine a lot of end arounds, fake screens to 1 side, quick dump off to other. A lot of Hines moving im motion.

Going to be fun to watch. I am ready, for sure.

Just now, w87r said:

Definitely need to mix things up to keep defenses on their toes. Don't want to be predictable when those guys are on or off the field.

Imagine a lot of end arounds, fake screens to 1 side, quick dump off to other. A lot of Hines moving im motion.

Going to be fun to watch. I am ready, for sure.

Feels like we've limited motion plays in general the last several years. At least since Luck was here. 

Personally I love a Z in motion, or even a slot or RB. 

Totally makes things harder on the D, helps the QB read the D, etc..

But we seem to have abandoned it a bit. Hope it's back for good this season.

Should be if we're more play action this season. 

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Feels like we've limited motion plays in general the last several years. At least since Luck was here. 

Personally I love a Z in motion, or even a slot or RB. 

Totally makes things harder on the D, helps the QB read the D, etc..

But we seem to have abandoned it a bit. Hope it's back for good this season.

Should be if we're more play action this season. 

Yeah it has to be back this season, especially if Taylor and Hines are on the field together. Have to get the defense moving in wrong direction and hit him on the back side.

Defenses will have to honor that speed coming across.

Wonder how much Falcons used some motion last year, or throughout Ryan's career?

36 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yeah it has to be back this season, especially if Taylor and Hines are on the field together. Have to get the defense moving in wrong direction and hit him on the back side.

Defenses will have to honor that speed coming across.

Wonder how much Falcons used some motion last year, or throughout Ryan's career?

I watched a lot of Falcons already, but re-watched some film, and a lot of highlights when we signed him.

Overall, my thoughts... 

• Seems they increased motion in 21, at least when they had Ridley. Wouldn't say it was a ton, but fair amount. They even ran some TE motion. I didn't see a lot of motion with Patterson, but honestly wasn't looking for it. 
  • Ryan used Pitts like a WR. Sideline go routes, and every route you can think of. Definitely not like we've used TEs. Pitts is a WR convert so not a surprise. Pitt's speed is of course better than our TEs, but it's not like Pitts was leaving DBs in the dust. They were simply in-stride passes that he caught, or contested balls he stacked and muscled. But in short, I wouldn't take Pitt's use as a road map for how our TEs will be used. I do think our TEs get more deep and streak/slant routes though, which is a great thing.
  • Patterson also ran sideline go routes and a lot of WR type routes. 
  • Ryan overall likes to go deep. He was top 5 in deep shots in 2020, but his deep shots took a hit last year with Ridley out. Still was willing to go deep to Pitts, other true TEs, guys like Gage, RBs/Patterson, etc.. 
  • A lot of talk about Ryan liking the seam. This is true, but he tosses sideline go routes a lot too.
  • He simply likes to make teams defend the whole field. That's a departure to our heavy -5 to 15 yard offense the last several years that also seemed heavy on the shallow outside. 
  • Overall, a lot less possession type routes than what Indy normally runs in Reich's offense. Hope Ryan is calling the shots... 

Archived