Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

T Y Hilton on the 2022 Colts Roster?

25 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

If Hilton comes back he will be most in the slot. Hilton would be campbells insurance.

Campbell played less than 20% of his snaps last season from slot (as compared to his 95% in 2020). Wouldn't be all that smart to move him back to slot given his injury profile. Need someone durable going across the middle. In short, they did what they said they planned to do (start him inside, then move him outside) when they drafted him. 

I'd love it if they put TY in the slot, but his injury profile doesn't exactly fit either. Better him than Campbell though. 

IMO, Dulin, Coutee, and Pittman are probably best equipped for the slot. Dulin and Coutee more traditional slot types, and Pittman playing the bully/big slot role occasionally. 

But who knows what Reich will do. He's used round pegs for square holes the last few years. Hopefully Reggie has influence. Reggie played both Z (early career) and slot (later when Arians replaced Moore) and had somewhat of career rebound when he spent time inside. 

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Campbell played less than 20% of his snaps last season from slot (as compared to his 95% in 2020). Wouldn't be all that smart to move him back to slot given his injury profile. Need someone durable going across the middle. In short, they did what they said they planned to do (start him inside, then move him outside) when they drafted him. 

I'd love it if they put TY in the slot, but his injury profile doesn't exactly fit either. Better him than Campbell though. 

IMO, Dulin, Coutee, and Pittman are probably best equipped for the slot. Dulin and Coutee more traditional slot types, and Pittman playing the bully/big slot role occasionally. 

But who knows what Reich will do. He's used round pegs for square holes the last few years. Hopefully Reggie has influence. Reggie played both Z (early career) and slot (later when Arians replaced Moore) and had somewhat of career rebound when he spent time inside. 

With Pierce I bet he plays the majority in the slot. Frank likes to move his WR around and wants them to play everywhere so I really don’t like saying someone is this or that. But my point was skill sets. Campbell, Hilton, Coutee are kind of similiar. Parris will be the starter with Coutee or Hilton as his backup.

9 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

With Pierce I bet he plays the majority in the slot. Frank likes to move his WR around and wants them to play everywhere so I really don’t like saying someone is this or that. But my point was skill sets. Campbell, Hilton, Coutee are kind of similiar. Parris will be the starter with Coutee or Hilton as his backup.

You're assuming Pierce starts. Perhaps he does, but I wouldn't be a lot of money on it. His route tree was extremely limited, and what he ran most, Reich rarely runs. I hope that changes, but that's another thing I wouldn't bet on. Like I said, hopefully Wayne has a decent amount of say, and hopefully Ryan has a decent level of play calling input and perhaps control. 

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

You're assuming Pierce starts. Perhaps he does, but I wouldn't be a lot of money on it. His route tree was extremely limited, and what he ran most, Reich rarely runs. I hope that changes, but that's another thing I wouldn't bet on. Like I said, hopefully Wayne has a decent amount of say, and hopefully Ryan has a decent level of play calling input and perhaps control. 

I just don’t see Campbell starting on the outside.  If pierce doesn’t start then maybe that means Strachan or Patmon have made. Huge leap.

13 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I just don’t see Campbell starting on the outside.  If pierce doesn’t start then maybe that means Strachan or Patmon have made. Huge leap.

When Campbell was healthy last season, he started outside, and graded well when he did. Not saying that's where he'll be this season, but it's what happened last season. And he's probably the most suited trait wise to play a traditional Z role. We haven't always been traditional though. 

On Peirce, I'd love nothing more if came out strong and started. But it would be naïve to assume it at this point. He's not a polished guy like Pittman was in year one. Pittman played inside and out in college, ran good routes, and blocked well. Pierce's route tree was severely limited, he played almost exclusively outside, didn't have to block much at all, and was the teams deep guy. If Reich was only going to ask him to run 9s or deep slants, then his chances of starting would be better. But it's a lot more likely based on what we've seen, that he'll have to expand his route tree, and polish up blocking. 

From everything I've read, Campbell, PIttman, Strachan, and Dulin were getting the most reps/targets in OTAs. It's early, so that doesn't mean a whole lot. I think one thing you'll see though this year regardless, is that PIttman gets more time in the slot. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/29/2022 at 11:02 AM, Smonroe said:

Separation.  We’re talking separation.  Not height.  Not speed.  We’re talking Separation.

(Got to love Allen Iverson)

Seriously though, do we have any WRs who have shown they can create space like TY?   Possibly Parris, but he’s a wildcard every year.  

I’d love to see him as our 4th option after MPJ, Parris, and AP.   Like Ballard always points out, he brings something different to the WR group.

Separation…

TY hasn’t created space in 3 years...

28 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I don’t know how many people realize this but TY had one of his best Yards per attempt in a few years. I believe I saw it was around 14. But when you have a inconsistent QB and TY missing half the season I think people don’t realize that.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, csmopar said:

He really hasn't been given routes conducive to creating space in several years. Posting up on the sideline, or a sideline back shoulder or come-backs, isn't going to give you great separation stats. 

• Like 2

It would be like pulling Marvin back into the fold when he was severly declining.  You just don't do it because of a name.  Marvin dropped off a cliff and never made it back to the Colts.  I hope we do a hard pass on T.Y. and move on.  The Cap is at -13.1M (non-51) without Foles, Kelly, and Lindsay included.  TY should read the tea-leaves.

10 hours ago, csmopar said:

I tried to respond with a video clip of his 2020 highlights, but the post was apparently deleted.

I’m not saying he’s the same player he was when Luck was here.  But he’d definitely be at least the third or fourth best WR on our roster right now.  

• Like 2