Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

T Y Hilton on the 2022 Colts Roster?

sb41champs

We have reached the end of May - and - near the end of the annual OTA's - WITHOUT TY on our roster.

Considering we have a quality new QB - and - Frank Reich wanting everyone in the building for OTA's this year - do you believe that T Y Hilton will be on the Colts roster on the 2022 opening weekend?

6 minutes ago, sb41champs said:

We have reached the end of May - and - near the end of the annual OTA's - WITHOUT TY on our roster.

Considering we have a quality new QB - and - Frank Reich wanting everyone in the building for OTA's this year - do you believe that T Y Hilton will be on the Colts roster on the 2022 opening weekend?

Nope, nor should he be.

8 minutes ago, sb41champs said:

The decision won’t be made until mid or late June….   AFTER the off-season program.   I believe Frank and Ballard want to give the kids every opportunity to win spots on the roster.   

9 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Nope, nor should he be.

Why don't you think he should be on the roster? No longer useful for the Colts and give someone else a chance? 

I'm not sure, but wouldn't be surprised if he was off the team this season. 

1 minute ago, teganslaw said:

Why don't you think he should be on the roster? No longer useful for the Colts and give someone else a chance? 

I'm not sure, but wouldn't be surprised if he was off the team this season. 

He has declined majorly and most of his usefulness was when Luck was on the team. We have Reggie as a veteran presence now, and I don't want Hilton taking any playing time away from our WRs with his lack of production.

1 hour ago, sb41champs said:

Time to turn the page.

Loved Eugene "T.Y." Hilton, he gave his all and had a very very nice career, BUT when you keep players past their ability to help because of what they did you get yourself in trouble. You cant be sentimental in this league and get your best results.  I hope he signs somewhere and gets his milestones, our roster is too deep for it at this point IMO.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the front office has moved on. 

They have repeatedly stated how much they like their young WR room for one.

Secondly, they drafted Alec Pierce to play Robin to Pittman’s Batman.

Lastly, when asked about TY in press conferences Ballard has consistently said “We’ll continue to evaluate the situation”…..which to me seems be be saying if an emergency arises then perhaps……lol

Ballard said during an interview that he is going to give the young guys a chance in OTAs and training camp before bringing in a veteran WR.

So if Jones or Hilton are to come, it won’t be until training camp time.

Just now, Bravo said:

Ballard said during an interview that he is going to give the young guys a chance in OTAs and training camp before bringing in a veteran WR.

So if Jones or Hilton are to come, it won’t be until training camp time.

I could also see us bringing in someone at cutdown. Guessing we'll be shopping for both DBs and pass catchers at cutdown.

At the end of the day, I think Hilton likely has an offer in hand, but I just don't see Ballard moving off that offer regardless of the timing. Realistically, TY could probably accept that offer anytime, but guessing he's waiting and hoping his agent gets bites. I read a few places he was talking to two other teams (one Balt) aside from Indy. Likely looking for the best situation (situation as important as money) to get PT to attain 10K.  

7 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Nope, nor should he be.

Agreed. I like TY, I wish he still was the TY of old but TY of old hasn’t been present for 3 years now. I’m afraid injuries and Father Time has taken his speed and shiftiness away. Which is how he always got his separation. Even his hands have fallen off in recent times. 

sadly, TY, it’s time to retire and ride off into the sunset. 

9 hours ago, sb41champs said:

I really sure hope not.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I believe Frank and Ballard want to give the kids every opportunity to win spots on the roster.   

Well with basically only Pittman and our 2nd round rookie as proven or quality receivers,  they certainly will have their shot. 

11 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Well with basically only Pittman and our 2nd round rookie as proven or quality receivers,  they certainly will have their shot. 

Yes….    I was only commenting for those here who are wondering why we haven’t yet signed a veteran receiver.   My answer is timing and opportunity.  

If the kids show they’re not ready, then we will likely sign a vet like TYH in 3-4 weeks. 

28 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Might mean something. Might mean nothing. Strachen was with Pitt and Campbell as the first team WRs

20 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Nope, nor should he be.

Separation.  We’re talking separation.  Not height.  Not speed.  We’re talking Separation.

(Got to love Allen Iverson)

Seriously though, do we have any WRs who have shown they can create space like TY?   Possibly Parris, but he’s a wildcard every year.  

I’d love to see him as our 4th option after MPJ, Parris, and AP.   Like Ballard always points out, he brings something different to the WR group.

Separation…

12 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Ballard said in a interview he wanted to see what this group showed before signing a vet WR. Next few weeks will be critical if he comes back.

Agree 100 percent. I feel good about the WR core we got right now, ecstatic when we drafted Pierce. Hopefully we don't need a vet like Hilton if you know what I mean.

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Separation.  We’re talking separation.  Not height.  Not speed.  We’re talking Separation.

Seriously though, do we have any WRs who have shown they can create space like TY?   Possibly Parris, but he’s a wildcard every year.  

I’d love to see him as our 4th option after MPJ, Parris, and AP.   Like Ballard always points out, he brings something different to the WR group.

Separation…

MAC got great separation last season. Top 10 ranked. 

Pittman was ranked pretty well too, especially for his size and type of routes he was running. 

TY's separation has never been high under Frank given the routes he's been running. But he did have his best separation numbers last season since at least 2015ish or 16ish. But actual separation is really not a big deal for him. He gets "last cut" separation, meaning it's all about timing. He cuts, and the ball is supposed to be there. And especially lately, he's not been given the opportunity to run 9s or slants that would typically pad his separation numbers. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

MAC got great separation last season. Top 10 ranked. 

Pittman was ranked pretty well too, especially for his size and type of routes he was running. 

TY's separation has never been high under Frank given the routes he's been running. But he did have his best separation numbers last season since at least 2015ish or 16ish. But actual separation is really not a big deal for him. He gets "last cut" separation, meaning it's all about timing. He cuts, and the ball is supposed to be there. And especially lately, he's not been given the opportunity to run 9s or slants that would typically pad his separation numbers. 

TBH, I didn’t know that was a stat.  How do they count it?  It can only be on targets, an even then you’d have to consider the type of D being played.  Not to mention blown D assignments.  

To me, you throw the stats out and go by the eye test.  TY knows how to get open.  That’s proven.  

8 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

TBH, I didn’t know that was a stat.  How do they count it?  It can only be on targets, an even then you’d have to consider the type of D being played.  Not to mention blown D assignments.  

To me, you throw the stats out and go by the eye test.  TY knows how to get open.  That’s proven.  

The NFL (and their Nextgen stats) have sensors on every player, the ball, and all over the field. They literally measure almost everything. Separation is "The distance (in yards) measured between a WR/TE and the nearest defender at the time of catch or incompletion."

So this is a stat that's on the money, and shouldn't be thrown out of the eye test. You can certainly argue the QB impacts the measurement, or the routes called impact the ability to separate, but in terms of what it measures, it's accurate. 

Nextgen measure cushion, separation, etc. for WRs, speed and other things for RBs, and even measures DL guys in terms of their average separation from the QB.... 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

The NFL (and their Nextgen stats) have sensors on every player, the ball, and all over the field. They literally measure almost everything. Separation is "The distance (in yards) measured between a WR/TE and the nearest defender at the time of catch or incompletion."

So this is a stat that's on the money, and shouldn't be thrown out of the eye test. You can certainly argue the QB impacts the measurement, or the routes called impact the ability to separate, but in terms of what it measures, it's accurate. 

Nextgen measure cushion, separation, etc. for WRs, speed and other things for RBs, and even measures DL guys in terms of their average separation from the QB.... 

Got it.  But I still stay it's skewed depending on the D scheme.  For example, in Flus's D the DBs were way off of the WRs.  Always trying to keep the ball in front of them.  

In a lot of those cases, the Nextgen stat would say that receiver achieved separation.  In reality, it was the defense giving them space.  When it's crunch time, the DBs play tighter.  That's when you can tell if it's the WR or the D that accounts for the separation.

But back to the original discussion.  IMHO, I still think that last season TY created more separation than anyone on the team, with the exception of Parris (when he's healthy).  

13 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Got it.  But I still stay it's skewed depending on the D scheme.  For example, in Flus's D the DBs were way off of the WRs.  Always trying to keep the ball in front of them.  

In a lot of those cases, the Nextgen stat would say that receiver achieved separation.  In reality, it was the defense giving them space.  When it's crunch time, the DBs play tighter.  That's when you can tell if it's the WR or the D that accounts for the separation.

But back to the original discussion.  IMHO, I still think that last season TY created more separation than anyone on the team, with the exception of Parris (when he's healthy).  

That (how far off the DB plays) is measured by "cushion".

I think you're trying way too hard to diminish the stat lol... 

So you can compare every WRs or TEs separation they have vs the cushion they started with.

On TY, like I said, he's a "last cut" separation kind of WR now. He's not running 9s or deep slants. He's running more quick timing/possession type routes. That's the reason his separation stat has been low for the last several years. 

That's one reason you really can't argue with MAC's separation stats. He has good separation, but also got less cushion than most. 

11 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Separation…

TY has been maybe my favorite  colt player  for a number of years. 

But he hasn't been productive last few seasons.  It's hard to get "seperation" if your out with a injury or lost a few steps to age. And that's been the case mostly with him as of late. 

Despite using our first draft pick on a WR, the colts receiving unit has the potential of still being one of the weakest units in football. 

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I think how Coutee looks is going to determine whether they bring TY back. Can they get just as much out of Coutee as a aging Hilton.  Coutee Is still young.

Coutee will likely see his best opportunity at slot. So I really wouldn't attach TY's chances to what happens to Coutee. 

If they were willing to play TY at slot, then I'd agree, but they haven't really been willing to so that. 

But overall position wise, there's less and less rhyme and reason from FR in terms of traditional WR sets, so who knows. 

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I think how Coutee looks is going to determine whether they bring TY back. Can they get just as much out of Coutee as a aging Hilton.  Coutee Is still young.

I don't think it'll be Coutee that determines it. Coutee is probably the no7 receiver right now on the 90 man roster. It'll probably depend on Campbell and Dulin, and if Ballard believes they can fill the slot receiver role.

4 hours ago, Professor Farnsworth said:

I just wish this would get resolved soon. Either they think he can contribute or they think he can't, its that simple to me. Make a decision.

I don't think they are deliberating.   He isn't in the cards right now. 

5 hours ago, Professor Farnsworth said:

I just wish this would get resolved soon. Either they think he can contribute or they think he can't, its that simple to me. Make a decision.

I think it’s less about Hilton, and more about the super young group of receivers.   Ballard and Reich are giving the kids a full chance to show what they can or can’t do.  Hilton is much more of a known quantity,  the kids are not.   

Patience grasshopper!   The decision will come in mid-late June when the off-season program ends. 

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think it’s less about Hilton, and more about the super young group of receivers.   Ballard and Reich are giving the kids a full chance to show what they can or can’t do.  Hilton is much more of a known quantity,  the kids are not.   

Patience grasshopper!   The decision will come in mid-late June when the off-season program ends. 

Fair enough pal and I am trying to be patient lol.

1 hour ago, Professor Farnsworth said:

Fair enough pal and I am trying to be patient lol.

Thanks….   And I feel ya….  We’ve got another 2-3 weeks of camp.   Fans getting itchy…. Then it’s about 6 weeks of nothing while the players get rest and the coaches and staff go on big family vacations.   The only real break in the year long grind.   Then fall camp starts up the last few days of July.   So this is a weird time of the year for a serious football fan.   But I’m an old fart.   I can keep my powder dry for a long time if need be..   

But fall camp should be the best we’ve had here in the Ballard era.  That’s something to look forward to!     :thmup:

5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't think it'll be Coutee that determines it. Coutee is probably the no7 receiver right now on the 90 man roster. It'll probably depend on Campbell and Dulin, and if Ballard believes they can fill the slot receiver role.

The reason I say Coutee is because his playing style is different then what we have. It’s more like Hilton’s. We need WR who bring a little bit of a different style. He would be Parris insurance policy. If not Coutee then it will be Hilton. 

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Coutee will likely see his best opportunity at slot. So I really wouldn't attach TY's chances to what happens to Coutee. 

If they were willing to play TY at slot, then I'd agree, but they haven't really been willing to so that. 

But overall position wise, there's less and less rhyme and reason from FR in terms of traditional WR sets, so who knows. 

If Hilton comes back he will be most in the slot. Hilton would be campbells insurance.

Archived