Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Snap count

cdgacoltsfan

Is there a logical explanation why the offense broke huddle with around 15 seconds left on the play clock and ran it down to 1 second before snapping it....pretty much every single time the entire season? You would think they would change it up a little from time to time in order to keep the defense off balance.

3 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Is there a logical explanation why the offense broke huddle with around 15 seconds left on the play clock and ran it down to 1 second before snapping it....pretty much every single time the entire season? You would think they would change it up a little from time to time in order to keep the defense off balance.

My guess is it had to do with wentz trying to read the defense.

9 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

And people wonder why our OL suffered this year.  People like me brought this up a lot only for people to refute it.  It makes it very hard to pass protect when the play clock is getting ran down.  It makes it easier to time and tee off for defenders.  

Watch the clock and go. Giving them the snap count.

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

1 hour ago, smittywerb said:

And people wonder why our OL suffered this year.  People like me brought this up a lot only for people to refute it.  It makes it very hard to pass protect when the play clock is getting ran down.  It makes it easier to time and tee off for defenders.  

It's pure scheme. 

We've been in the 62-65 plays per game range for 3 years straight. 

We did the same with Rivers, who is considered one of the best in the league at reading Ds, so pretty hard to say "we're slow because Wentz can't read Ds..."...

On the rare occasion we've gone hurry up, we've been pretty darn successful. That's just not Reich's O though. 

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

It's pure scheme. 

We've been in the 62-65 plays per game range for 3 years straight. 

We did the same with Rivers, who is considered one of the best in the league at reading Ds, so pretty hard to say "we're slow because Wentz can't read Ds..."...

On the rare occasion we've gone hurry up, we've been pretty darn successful. That's just not Reich's O though. 

im not sure man.  Eye test doesn’t tell me that.  Rivers and Luck did not run the play clock.  Rivers and Luck (towards the end) did not hold on the ball.  They hiked the ball, and got it out.  The last year with Luck, we were definitely more upbeat on offense.  Rivers, wasn’t as upbeat but his reads did not take as long as Wentz.  Idk man, the difference isn’t that hard to see.

24 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

im not sure man.  Eye test doesn’t tell me that.  Rivers and Luck did not run the play clock.  Rivers and Luck (towards the end) did not hold on the ball.  They hiked the ball, and got it out.  The last year with Luck, we were definitely more upbeat on offense.  Rivers, wasn’t as upbeat but his reads did not take as long as Wentz.  Idk man, the difference isn’t that hard to see.

Sorry man, we're middle of the pack.... And Reich plays possession ball. And Rivers absolutely ran clock. 

If you want to be critical of long snapping, how about Rodgers lol.... And look what our x-OC is doing in Philly.

I'd also add that mid season, Reich threw himself under the bus saying he needed to get better/quicker getting the play call in. 

For Rivers, we're 3rd lowest (least on the clock, bottom chart)

Here's 2021

Wentz is equal to Rodgers

59 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Sorry man, we're middle of the pack.... And Reich plays possession ball. And Rivers absolutely ran clock. 

If you want to be critical of long snapping, how about Rodgers lol.... And look what our x-OC is doing in Philly.

I'd also add that mid season, Reich threw himself under the bus saying he needed to get better/quicker getting the play call in. 

For Rivers, we're 3rd lowest (least on the clock, bottom chart)

Here's 2021

Wentz is equal to Rodgers

I respect the data you’ve given but I think it’s misleading, specifically the seconds.  Why 16 or more, 15-5, 5 or less, the deltas are off.  Of course majority of the data is going to be blue because the delta of that time frame is 10 seconds compared to the 5 or less which is 5.  I would want to know our average.  Is it closer to the 5 or the 15.

the other graph that shows the actual average you can’t identify the teams

regarding the comparison to Rodgers, once again that’s misleading.  Because yes he may take his time at the line but his release time of the ball is probably a lot quicker than wentz.  We would probably see success with wentz running the clock down if he was to as Ballard said “make the layups”

once again, data is cool but that’s why the eye test is there.  The data doesn’t tell the full story.  

15 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

As with practically everything else in life, it's not just one thing.

We were routinely late breaking huddle. Sometimes we appeared to be late even getting personnel in and huddling. So it's not just Wentz.

17 hours ago, smittywerb said:

I respect the data you’ve given but I think it’s misleading, specifically the seconds.  Why 16 or more, 15-5, 5 or less, the deltas are off.  Of course majority of the data is going to be blue because the delta of that time frame is 10 seconds compared to the 5 or less which is 5.  I would want to know our average.  Is it closer to the 5 or the 15.

the other graph that shows the actual average you can’t identify the teams

regarding the comparison to Rodgers, once again that’s misleading.  Because yes he may take his time at the line but his release time of the ball is probably a lot quicker than wentz.  We would probably see success with wentz running the clock down if he was to as Ballard said “make the layups”

once again, data is cool but that’s why the eye test is there.  The data doesn’t tell the full story.  

I honestly don't care about the data. But I know Reich fo-show runs a possession offense, and it's by design that we snap later. It's been pretty obvious the last 3 years. He wants to run clock plain and simple unless we're down late. 

Time to throw is a totally different and unrelated topic. Wentz has always been higher, and it was no mystery when they brought him in. He's a play extending QB. Rogers has always been quick trigger. But not sure why you are trying to connect play clock (which is more scheme than anything) to TtT. 

Whenever I see teams that are doing this, I believe they are trying to shorten the game.   Let the air out of the clock means there are going to be fewer total plays in the game.   

If you think your team will make fewer turnovers and fewer penalties than the other team, than the benefit goes to you.   The other team will have less time and opportunity to overcome their own problems.  

7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I honestly don't care about the data. But I know Reich fo-show runs a possession offense, and it's by design that we snap later. It's been pretty obvious the last 3 years. He wants to run clock plain and simple unless we're down late. 

Time to throw is a totally different and unrelated topic. Wentz has always been higher, and it was no mystery when they brought him in. He's a play extending QB. Rogers has always been quick trigger. But not sure why you are trying to connect play clock (which is more scheme than anything) to TtT. 

i guess it seems worse with wentz because he’s draining the clock and holding the ball and not beating the blitz where rivers was beating the blitz.  It goes back to making the layups.  That’s the connection.  Running down the play clock does not work with wentz. If it’s a system thing, then fine, I’ll take that.  But you can’t hold the ball when the defense knows when you’re going to snap the ball.

6 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

i guess it seems worse with wentz because he’s draining the clock and holding the ball and not beating the blitz where rivers was beating the blitz.  It goes back to making the layups.  That’s the connection.  Running down the play clock does not work with wentz. If it’s a system thing, then fine, I’ll take that.  But you can’t hold the ball when the defense knows when you’re going to snap the ball.

Rivers had a top 5 pass pro OL, while Wentz has a bottom 5. 

Rivers had a supporting cast efficiency rank of 11th, vs 22nd for Wentz. 

So if we're honest, Rivers was dealt a lot better hand....

Rivers was #7 in interceptable passes, while Wentz is #11. Not much difference. Both good.

Rivers was #18 in money throws, while Wentz is #9, advantage Carson.

Rivers was #8 in deep ball accuracy, while Wentz is #6. Both good.

Rivers was #21 in QBR, while Wentz is #10, advantage Carson.

"True passer rating" they are 18th and 19th. Same... 

Catchable pass rate, Rivers was 77.0% vs Wentz 73.6%, about the same

The big difference is short yardage accuracy, and Reich's O is simply overly slanted to the short passing stuff. 

Teams seem to play us closer and closer (DBs up) each year since JB in 2019. Not talking about stacked boxes, just depth of DBs and S. 

On the hold/snap time issues. At times we did go hurry up, and it worked pretty well. Rare, but worked well. Reich could have done that any time he wanted. He just didn't. 

Archived