Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton and Eli to call 10 MNF games on ESPN2

jvan1973

16 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Neither do you.

Neither are you.

And you apparently have no idea how beloved Peyton is all over the country.

Yet you think you’re informed enough to call this brilliant move by ESPN “stupid”…

You must not own a mirror.  :lol:

This post like all of your others, is meaningless trash.  If our arena of knowledge was food a dog would not eat it.

59 minutes ago, King Colt said:

This post like all of your others, is meaningless trash.  If our arena of knowledge was food a dog would not eat it.

And your “stupid move by ESPN” post will obviously be voted Best Post of the Year by your fellow forum members because it was just so MEANINGFUL…

O King of Meaningful Posts

But to get back on topic: WHY is this a stupid move? Can you think of any other former player that would be in higher demand to have in the booth? It’s worked out great with Romo and he isn’t nearly as popular as Manning.

And after watching him speak in Canton last night, I think Peyton could end up being the best sports broadcaster ever if he really wanted to.

12 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

And your “stupid move by ESPN” post will obviously be voted Best Post of the Year by your fellow forum members because it was just so MEANINGFUL…

O King of Meaningful Posts

But to get back on topic: WHY is this a stupid move? Can you think of any other former player that would be in higher demand to have in the booth? It’s worked out great with Romo and he isn’t nearly as popular as Manning.

And after watching him speak in Canton last night, I think Peyton could end up being the best sports broadcaster ever if he really wanted to.

Like Kornheiser on night games?!! So this country is packed with Colts fans?!  I wonder why the helmets with the stars are everywhere during after and before football season. Among the many thing you don't know is popularity does not make a successful broadcaster. Ever hear of Howard Cosell? The list of flops on MNF is proof. Go ahead and list them. 

6 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Like Kornheiser on night games?!! So this country is packed with Colts fans?!  I wonder why the helmets with the stars are everywhere during after and before football season. Among the many thing you don't know is popularity does not make a successful broadcaster. Ever hear of Howard Cosell? The list of flops on MNF is proof. Go ahead and list them. 

So are you saying the Mannings are going to “flop”?  That ESPN could have made better choices than the Mannings?

What teams they played for is irrelevant, it’s not just Cowboys fans that like Romo in the booth.  People that hate the Colts or Broncos would probably still like Peyton in the booth.  Every Patriot-hater from Buffalo to San Diego loves Eli.

This narrow view you have of fandom is very flawed.

44 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Having research on someone is no guarantee of success.  Kornheiser is hugely popular on his show.   But he was a bad fit in the MNF booth.   Executives make bad calls — it happens.   

Year after year, Cosell was voted BOTH the most popular AND the most unpopular broadcaster.   But being unpopular turned out to work in his favor, because millions actually tuned in so they could hate him even more.   That’s what research showed. 

Shows can fail for all sorts of reasons.  Bad producing, bad directing, bad pairing of talent.   They might be good individually, but together, they don’t fit well.   And sometimes execs simply make bad decisions.   Dennis Miller, anyone? 

All networks are always looking for the next great talent.   Who saw Tony Romo being great?   Came as a surprise, but once he caught in he shot up the charts.  Clearly ESPN is hoping for the same with the Manning’s.   I have no idea why you’d think this wasn’t worthy of at least trying?  But you hold plenty of strange views and fight like Hell defending them.   Go figure. 

• 1 month later...

I watched it on YouTube, loved it. I usually work on Monday Nights but if I were to watch a game, I would watch those 2 covering it. They were funny as heck! Having other pro athlete's on is a huge key too. Ray and Russ were fantastic. This is going to be the #1 rated show on ESPN. ESPN finally woke up and did something right after about 5 years.

20 hours ago, J@son said:

I watched the first game they did for about 10 min before they got annoying and I switched channels. Loved to watch both play but couldn't stand listening to them try to call a game lol

I thought I was the only one who doesn't care about the Manning broadcasts. It seems that I am in the minority, though.  I still plan on staying with the regular ESPN network.  They make it easier to watch MNF without concentrating on the broadcasters. 

On 9/23/2021 at 3:50 PM, J@son said:

I watched the first game they did for about 10 min before they got annoying and I switched channels. Loved to watch both play but couldn't stand listening to them try to call a game lol

lol it's okay we don't all have to like the same things!

But for me. I couldn't care less about lions/packers or eagles/cowboys. So I just enjoy the banter over football in this instance haha. I wouldn't even watch a quarter if it wasn't for the ESPN2 broadcast. And even with that said, I just discovered my NFL app on my phone has both broadcasts available to watch so I just had the banter going on in the background while I was cleaning up for the night and chillin.

2 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I'm not sure I would have watched during our game.    I would want the actual broadcast I think.   Either that or watch ESPN muted and listen to the Mannings

Archived